TL Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 02:35 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
TL Takata Airbag Recall

Hi all, I came here shocked to see a thread hadn't been started yet. If there is one, please merge, but I found nothing in my searches.

Is anyone else affected by the recall? What are you doing to address it?

When I saw it on the news I went to the website and entered my VIN, it says the estimated repair date is Sep 2016, I called the dealer and they said they were inundated with calls and to call Acura Support for quicker help.

I called the 800 number the dealer gave me and had a run around call where I was told that I can not drive the vehicle. When I asked what I could do, they would just tell me that they legally have to advise me to not drive the vehicle. When I explained I need to get to work and get kids to school, they suggested I find an alternate form of transportation, and said if I drive the TL, I am doing so against their advice and they are not liable for damages.

I asked for a superior and got a call back later. The supervisor, after some push back from me, agreed to pay for a rental vehicle, but not an equivalent vehicle. I pushed for a vehicle more similar to mine and they wouldn't budge. They said I am getting the cheapest available at Enterprise. Now I can only hope the car seats fit and it doesn't reek of smoke. I am not looking forward to 8-9 months in a rental car, but I am guessing I am not going to do much better.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Should I just suck it up and keep my car and hope nothing happens? What are others doing?
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (02-09-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 06:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard my vehicle was affected as well; however, when I searched owners.aura and the nhtsa (safecar.gov) nothing came up for my vin. What site did you enter your vin? To answer your question on keeping your car or going with the rental... I'd take the rental and throw away commuter miles on it while saving the tl for special occasions. The risk is there, sure, but many of us have classic cars w/out airbags, motorcycles, bikes, etc. that get by just fine.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:07 PM
Racer

Here was where I entered my VIN: Acura | Recalls | m.acura.com

I got my rental car today and it's a cheap Chevy Equinox with high mileage that reeks of smoke. I tried to at least get something that didn't smell like smoke and they said nothing was nothing else available.

I'm hoping that since they are paying for a rental car they will fix it sooner. Hopefully they will have a smoke free car soon too.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by jpsaab24
I heard my vehicle was affected as well; however, when I searched owners.aura and the nhtsa (safecar.gov) nothing came up for my vin. What site did you enter your vin? To answer your question on keeping your car or going with the rental... I'd take the rental and throw away commuter miles on it while saving the tl for special occasions. The risk is there, sure, but many of us have classic cars w/out airbags, motorcycles, bikes, etc. that get by just fine.
The problem is not, as I understand, in not having an airbag, so much as having one that, if triggered, will kill you.
The following 4 users liked this post by sockpuppet:
emanon256 (02-08-2016), jpsaab24 (02-10-2016), ressling (02-22-2016), TacoBello (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
This is the site: Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Acura Owners Site

"Attention: If you own one of the models below, your vehicle may be included in a recently announced Takata airbag inflator recall. Recall information for these vehicles will not be available in the VIN Lookup tool below until February 15, 2016. Please check this site after February 15th to determine if your vehicle is affected. For all other, ongoing recalls, please use the VIN Lookup tool below."

So check back again after the 15th
Old 02-09-2016, 03:14 AM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Drei
This is the site: Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Acura Owners Site

"Attention: If you own one of the models below, your vehicle may be included in a recently announced Takata airbag inflator recall. Recall information for these vehicles will not be available in the VIN Lookup tool below until February 15, 2016. Please check this site after February 15th to determine if your vehicle is affected. For all other, ongoing recalls, please use the VIN Lookup tool below."

So check back again after the 15th
You are correct I'm waiting until the 15th to see whats good. And how thesis dealers going to act.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CruzanTLSH-AWD
You are correct I'm waiting until the 15th to see whats good. And how thesis dealers going to act.
I am waiting until Monday as well. My opinion - It would be plausible to believe that Honda and Acura have more than one air bag supplier. Otherwise, we would all immediately be affected and in line for a repair.

In the event my TL is affected, I find it hard to believe that Acura would tell us to stop driving the car and not loan us a comparable model at their expense. Trust me, they have the cash. Its called insurance. Again, an opinion.

I have my family in my car daily and would NOT want anything to happen knowing that I am driving a ticking time bomb. SO i'd be upset to find out that i have to wait half of a year and pay for a car I cannot drive. Thats going against the reason why I purchased a Honda Product....reliability.

Thoughts? Or should I call my dealer today?
Old 02-09-2016, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DidiBob
...In the event my TL is affected, I find it hard to believe that Acura would tell us to stop driving the car and not loan us a comparable model at their expense. Trust me, they have the cash. Its called insurance. Again, an opinion...
Ford initially refused to recall the Pinto, even though the fix was estimated to be $11 per car. A car rental for even a week (let alone the time-frames OP is suggesting), would run some serious cash (multiplied over how many vehicles). That's before the cost of the repair itself, which I'm betting won't be cheap (I had to replace 2 airbags on my old Oldsmobile, as a design flaw made it so the horn would sound (constantly), if the outside temperature got cold enough).
Old 02-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
The problem is not, as I understand, in not having an airbag, so much as having one that, if triggered, will kill you.
Touché. Waiting for the 15th and crossing my fingers for something better than an abused, overly smoky, Equinox. I wonder if after a week or so, you can return to the Enterprise location to see if you can switch over to something that won't give you and your kids headaches.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Racer

I called Enterprise to arrange for an exchange and they were pretty rude about it, they insisted they don't do exchanges and that all of their cars smell like smoke and I should be happy with what I got. It's a pretty shady location. I just left a message for the service manager at the dealership to see what he can do. He seems pretty nice.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
That is very un-Enterprise-like. I'd try moving up the ladder. I have had uniformly great service from Enterprise locations all over the country.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:30 PM
Racer

The service manager talked to the enterprise location GM and they agreed to swap me. I went in and all they had was a Jeep Cherokee. Its even more basic than the Equinox, no heated seats, no auto climate control, pretty bare bones. I had a long talk with the Enterprise GM and he said this location is pretty much exclusivity daily use people who trash the cars and they never see them again, so they don't stock anything other than cheap base or fleet models, and they don't have the inventory to pull cars and clean them when people smoke, so they just have to let it go. The jeep smells much better, but it still has been smoked in. He said it was the best they can do. I'm really surprised Acura isn't springing for a loaner car.

Ive always had a great experience in airport locations, but I don't really trust the stand alone ones. And this Enterprise is in a pretty bad area.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

I had my 2012 TL in last Friday for transmission software update and he said mine was included in the recall. He said it would be late spring before they had any parts.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I checked with my dealer and they tell me that my car is on the "Preliminary List", awaiting the "Official" list of affected vehicles. It will probably be early summer before the official recall notice and the availability of replacement parts. It's a waiting game now.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:42 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Here is what Honda Corporate sent our dealership a few days ago...

This Takata ordeal has been, without a doubt, one of the most incredible recalls that not only the Honda/Acura demographic has had to face but many other automotive brands that use their inflators as well. Takata has been in the SRS game for quite some time and while their familiar green race harnesses are what got our attention years ago, this airbag inflator nightmare is definitely going to be what people remember them for. It's a shame, really...

I understand the importance of having the airbag inflators replaced, I can't tell you how many I sold over the past 18 months...thousands, literally. It's a fatal flaw in design and there have been documented deaths. If anything, I ask people to please be patient with Honda as many of our vehicles are affected across the entire line. I will say that my dealership replaces over 400 inflators per month, we sell them to our clients just as soon as they arrive here and once we have a pallet of at least 200 units to send back, Honda sends us a new shipment. Also, please keep in mind that the inflators we've sold, are selling currently and will sell are all specific to make and model. That means every inflator we get won't just fit in any vehicle, it has to be the specific one for that make and model. A Civic inflator will not fit into an Accord and vise-versa. This new list of affected vehicles above will correspond with new inflators being produced and sourced from a new supplier(obviously not Takata). Everything is documented and kept on record, the entire procedure has many detailed steps and specific protocol. If every single step isn't correct, Honda will kick back the warranty claim and we cannot proceed until it's correctly entered in the system and completed in the repair shop...

As for the availability of loaner vehicles for clients, that is an issue that is specific to your local dealership, whether the have an adequate loaner to substitute your car or not - that is dealer specific. Obviously nobody wants an Equinox ashtray but just keep that in mind, just in case you must have a loaner until new inflators are available. I'm in no way excusing the issue we have here, just trying to give some insight as to what's been going on from a dealership standpoint so don't give me any shit about it, please. My dealership is and has been doing the best we can with the information and supplies we've been given...

I have a '14 TL that is affected, just in case anyone's wondering.

-greg
Honda of Chantilly
The following 9 users liked this post by '99-6SIC6:
Blaze9 (03-07-2016), carbonTSEX (02-09-2016), Drei (02-09-2016), emanon256 (02-09-2016), hadokenuh (02-11-2016), jpsaab24 (02-10-2016), jtech316 (02-10-2016), QTEE (04-12-2016), Supersammanyo (08-06-2017) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Racer

Greg,

Thank you for all the info. And for the record, the service manager at the dealership has been very nice and responsive. I am sure he is also quite overwhelmed.

I have a question. The manager told me that there might be a small stash of inflators available now, and he can possibly get me one, but won't know until next week. Would that be a true statement? It sounds like everything must be done through proper channels, so I am sure if they replace it it will be safe when they are done. But I also worry it might just be a like for like replacement if the inflators don't actually exist yet and have to be sourced and produced and that is the reason for the delay.

I wish everyone luck on the 15th, I hope your vehicles are safe. I am confused as to the delay as the VIN checker lists mine as recalled, and the Acura 800 number reps also confirmed my vehicle is affected. No one mentioned a preliminary list.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

OP...if you're in Denver, then even if your vehicle is one of the "affected" vehicles, then you still have almost nothing to worry about. The problems they've been having have been with units kept in hot humid places. So the opposite of Denver..
Old 02-10-2016, 05:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by emanon256
Greg,

Thank you for all the info. And for the record, the service manager at the dealership has been very nice and responsive. I am sure he is also quite overwhelmed.

I have a question. The manager told me that there might be a small stash of inflators available now, and he can possibly get me one, but won't know until next week. Would that be a true statement? It sounds like everything must be done through proper channels, so I am sure if they replace it it will be safe when they are done. But I also worry it might just be a like for like replacement if the inflators don't actually exist yet and have to be sourced and produced and that is the reason for the delay.

I wish everyone luck on the 15th, I hope your vehicles are safe. I am confused as to the delay as the VIN checker lists mine as recalled, and the Acura 800 number reps also confirmed my vehicle is affected. No one mentioned a preliminary list.

Thanks!
I don't have any idea if what he said could be true or not, however I wouldn't give it much credit based on what Honda sent out to us regarding the availability of the PSDI-5 inflators for this new list of affected vehicles...it clearly states,

" Due to the large volume of new inflators need to repair vehicles, the necessary parts will not become available until Summer 2016..."

-greg
emanon256 (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 05:47 PM
Graphite Ghost

Received 405 Likes on 324 Posts
are they only replacing them in 14 states....whats the 1 footnote talking about/
Old 02-10-2016, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by robpp
are they only replacing them in 14 states....whats the 1 footnote talking about/
It means that Honda will prioritize availability of inflators to those areas first as the problems they're having with them are occurring in regions of certain High Absolute Humidity.

-greg
Old 02-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
Honda/Acura Airbag Inflator Recall Center
http://hondaairbaginfo.com/

Takata Airbag Inflator Recall - Msg. from John Mendel
http://honda.vo.llnwd.net/o10/5597/0...L%20111014.swf

Takata Airbag Inflator Recall - Msg. from Bruce Smith
http://link.videoplatform.limelight....71ed884a40b54c

Important Message to All Acura Dealers - Air Bag Inflator Update (3 minutes)
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...w9c/embed/auto?

Important Message to All Acura Dealers - Airbag Inflator Update
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...r2t/embed/auto?

Important Message to All Honda/Acura Dealers - Airbag Update
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...y7p/embed/auto?

Important Message to all Acura Dealers - National Safety Improvement Campaign
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...xtx/embed/auto?
Old 02-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My car is on the list as well.

Tanaka does not have capacity to make all of the additional units and is working with other suppliers to create additional airbags for the recall.

As I understand it don't expect any dealers to have any appointments for replacing these until September 2016. They should offer loaner cars and complain to Honda Corporate if that doesn't happen.

Drive safe.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by davensd
My car is on the list as well.

Tanaka does not have capacity to make all of the additional units and is working with other suppliers to create additional airbags for the recall.

As I understand it don't expect any dealers to have any appointments for replacing these until September 2016. They should offer loaner cars and complain to Honda Corporate if that doesn't happen.

Drive safe.
Question: for those who may be in the inner Acura service loop....what about the side curtain airbags? Would Takata have manufactured the inflators for them as well? If so.....are these things ticking time bombs?
Old 02-13-2016, 01:13 PM
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 231 Posts
Questions and advice:
1. Is the Takata PSDI-5 inflator the same inflator that is at the root of the other 20 million recalls that have resulted in deaths and injuries?
2. If it is the same, should we continue to drive our car, a 2014 TL SH-AWD that is on the recall list?
3. If it is not the same, is it reasonably safe to drive the car?
4. If it is a different inflator, and Honda says there have been no incidents, why are they just now recalling it, since we have known about the problem since mid 2013, before my 2014 TL was even manufactured?
Thanks.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Pro

By the way, the online VIN lookup tool is not yet functional, and the special phone number will get you a person who can provide no information as yet, but my dealer was able to look up my VIN today using their tools.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Instructor

Question: for those who may be in the inner Acura service loop....what about the side curtain airbags? Would Takata have manufactured the inflators for them as well? If so.....are these things ticking time bombs?
There have been no reports of the side impact airbag modules having any sort of defect or malfunction. Takata would have recognized and addressed this if it were discovered to have been a problem, obviously...why would they inform the public of one issue but not the other, considering how much scrutiny they're under by the world currently? Takata has recognized the issue(Defect Information Report 16E-005), informed their clients and Honda has issued the recall (16V-061). The manufacturer is dealing with it appropriately in my opinion...

Originally Posted by fsmith
Questions and advice:
1. Is the Takata PSDI-5 inflator the same inflator that is at the root of the other 20 million recalls that have resulted in deaths and injuries?
2. If it is the same, should we continue to drive our car, a 2014 TL SH-AWD that is on the recall list?
3. If it is not the same, is it reasonably safe to drive the car?
4. If it is a different inflator, and Honda says there have been no incidents, why are they just now recalling it, since we have known about the problem since mid 2013, before my 2014 TL was even manufactured?
Thanks.

There's obviously some sort of common fault and/or possible threat with these PSDI-5 inflators in relation to the ones Takata has been having issues with. Whether they're the exact same inflator or not, that has yet to be determined, however unlikely. This new issue is with the driver airbag inflators, nothing else. It's up to you, the driver - to determine if you feel your vehicle is safe to operate or not - based on the information given. Seems like a lot of speculation in regards to this, but I get it and it's to be expected considering the danger of the situation. Bottom line, NO PSDI-5 INFLATOR RUPTURES HAVE BEEN REPORTED IN HONDA OR ACURA VEHICLES WORLDWIDE. Make your decisions off that info...

-greg
fsmith (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 04:24 PM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
At my dealer right now. Spoke with one of my buddies in parts and he said inflators won't be in until end of summer. I'm in Seattle, WA though so it's not humid.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by carbonTSEX
At my dealer right now. Spoke with one of my buddies in parts and he said inflators won't be in until end of summer. I'm in Seattle, WA though so it's not humid.
Keep your vehicles safe dude, I know you've got that nice RDX now and I've always admired your TL as you know.

-greg
Old 02-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by '99-6SIC6
There have been no reports of the side impact airbag modules having any sort of defect or malfunction. Takata would have recognized and addressed this if it were discovered to have been a problem, obviously...why would they inform the public of one issue but not the other, considering how much scrutiny they're under by the world currently? Takata has recognized the issue(Defect Information Report 16E-005), informed their clients and Honda has issued the recall (16V-061). The manufacturer is dealing with it appropriately in my opinion...

There's obviously some sort of common fault and/or possible threat with these PSDI-5 inflators in relation to the ones Takata has been having issues with. Whether they're the exact same inflator or not, that has yet to be determined, however unlikely. This new issue is with the driver airbag inflators, nothing else. It's up to you, the driver - to determine if you feel your vehicle is safe to operate or not - based on the information given. Seems like a lot of speculation in regards to this, but I get it and it's to be expected considering the danger of the situation. Bottom line, NO PSDI-5 INFLATOR RUPTURES HAVE BEEN REPORTED IN HONDA OR ACURA VEHICLES WORLDWIDE. Make your decisions off that info...

-greg

I too feel that Honda is absolutely handling the situation as expected from a reputable manufacturer. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I'm still waiting patiently, I just put in my VIN (2011 TL) and still no info. I know it was supposed to be updated today 2/15, I guess I'll check back later.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:40 AM
Pro

Call your dealer. They seem to have a better way of checking.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
My VIN pulled up for the recall. I called my local dealership and they put me on a list. I asked the guy what happens if the airbag deploys and he said call Honda claims, that's it.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by timsta
My VIN pulled up for the recall. I called my local dealership and they put me on a list. I asked the guy what happens if the airbag deploys and he said call Honda claims, that's it.
My 2012 TL is on the list as well. Called my dealer (John Eagle Acura in Houston) this morning and the svc dept says they do not expect to have the parts until sometime this summer. If it's any consolation, we are #21 on their list. They said they would notify us when the parts come in & schedule the work at that time.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
I just used the online VIN recall look up and it took me to schedule an appointment to my nearest Acura dealer, I got scheduled for tomorrow afternoon at my local dealer. I need to pick up a part this afternoon and also reconfirm my appointment, lets see what they say... they might have a few inflators in stock ready to be installed... or maybe not.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:49 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I just checked again and my TL is on the list for recall. I contacted my dealer and waiting for my SA to get back to me.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbag recall

I dropped off my 2012 awd TL off at the dealer today to get my ATF filter and fluids changed due to a chirping/gurgling noise and while I was there the service rep to me there's a airbag recall. They're in process of production of the airbags. They send me a letter once they receive the new airbags to schedule the fix.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Advanced

Just came back from the local dealer with a new 2016 TLX Tech Package.
New air bag inflators not going to be around until "late summer 2016"
So my car sits until then.

I hope nothing happens to that car.
Its a solid 3- 6 months without it.
Normally I don't over react. Having said that....guys, (and ladies lol) should I be concerned about them changing fluids after the car sits idle without use? and what about my BRAND NEW continentals? They tend to go square if sitting too long.

Thoughts? Sorry, don't intend to thread hack....all viable questions and concerns.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:40 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Just came back from the local dealer with a new 2016 TLX Tech Package.
New air bag inflators not going to be around until "late summer 2016"
So my car sits until then.

I hope nothing happens to that car.
Its a solid 3- 6 months without it.
Normally I don't over react. Having said that....guys, (and ladies lol) should I be concerned about them changing fluids after the car sits idle without use? and what about my BRAND NEW continentals? They tend to go square if sitting too long.

Thoughts? Sorry, don't intend to thread hack....all viable questions and concerns.
Not sure about the tire question but I don't think they'll change the fluids. Did they give you the tlx for a loaner for that long?
Old 02-15-2016, 03:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by timsta
Not sure about the tire question but I don't think they'll change the fluids. Did they give you the tlx for a loaner for that long?
Yup. TLX until my TL gets back is my current understanding.
Im sure my question is an initial knee jerk reaction. Cars sit that long in between auction and being sold all of the time.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:59 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Did you request the loaner or did they offer it unsolicited? They're going to hold your car that long at their place? Wow.

Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall