SH-AWD vs FWD

Old 11-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
SH-AWD vs FWD

Hi i am a 3G 05TL owner and currently in the market looking to upgrade to the 4G.

I want to know the reliability and performance of the 4G as i read on many threads that the SH-AWD performs better but also tend to have more problems with the converter and tranny.

So i want to know which one is more reliable and what are the things i need to be aware of while inspecting the car. ( i live in the east coast so i would prefer a SH-AWD) Thanks
Old 11-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
from my point of view.. a fwd is more reliable.. less mechanical issues..

but if you need a awd, then make sure you are buying it from a acura dealer.. without the standard warranty, you will be sheddin alot of money out.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
I feel like it will be difficult to gauge which is more reliable. Only those who have issues will tell you there are issues. Others, like me who have no issues do not usually bother reviewing something if there are no problems. So a higher frequency of reported issues on forums are hardly a good indicator - especially without knowing how many of each variety have been sold, and actively use forums like these.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:02 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Agree with potmilk. If you are an enthusiast, or want a car that can get you down some back country roads with a lot of snow, get the SH-AWD. Get a warranty as well, if it is past the factory warranty. Generally a super reliable car, other than the potential TC issue.

I wanted a safe, good handling car to commute in (that wasn't an Accord or Camry) so I went with the FWD. Mine still has the majority of the factory warranty left, but no issues whatsoever to this point. It's fast, 29.5 mpg highway, and does just fine in the snow. No regrets.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 AM

with a sh-awd, you will just be visiting the dealer more often than a fwd.. i had zero mechanical issues.. i had paint issues and a headrest issue.. that was it..
Old 11-17-2014, 11:48 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
For all the issues isolated to the SH-AWD, I don't think there was ever a time (at least that I can recall) when the car left the driver stranded on the side of the road.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:19 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C8N
For all the issues isolated to the SH-AWD, I don't think there was ever a time (at least that I can recall) when the car left the driver stranded on the side of the road.
Being a former BMW guy, I LOL at this statement. I was stranded 3-4 times in 2 years with my 335.

OP, buy either car man, you honestly don't have to worry about reliability about Acura.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by potmilkz
with a sh-awd, you will just be visiting the dealer more often than a fwd..
Is this considered common knowledge, as in something gathered by Acuraziners... or are there actually some real numbers available to warrant this?

Also, I'm curious what the ratio is like of FWD vs AWD ownership. Anyone care to hazard a guess (or better yet provide some numbers)?
Old 11-17-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by liquidneon
Is this considered common knowledge, as in something gathered by Acuraziners... or are there actually some real numbers available to warrant this?

Also, I'm curious what the ratio is like of FWD vs AWD ownership. Anyone care to hazard a guess (or better yet provide some numbers)?
like others have said; we come here to complain more than we praise.
so, there are no concrete numbers.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
The TC warranty was already extended to 7yrs/100k by Acura.
The following users liked this post:
C8N (11-19-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
I have a 2011 SH AWD with 37k miles on it. The only issue I have had is the paint defect, which affected both AWD and FWD CBP TL's. Still on the original TQ converter as well. The fwd will definitely get you more MPG than the AWD will. I average 22 mpg at 75-80 mph on the highway.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
Hi i am a 3G 05TL owner and currently in the market looking to upgrade to the 4G.

I want to know the reliability and performance of the 4G as i read on many threads that the SH-AWD performs better but also tend to have more problems with the converter and tranny.

So i want to know which one is more reliable and what are the things i need to be aware of while inspecting the car. ( i live in the east coast so i would prefer a SH-AWD) Thanks
the sh-awd gives you essentially magical abilities to rotate a very front heavy car. If that doesn't interest you in the slightest, save your money and get the fwd. Also because you're northeast like me, this shouldn't even be a question lol.

Potz- if i was in sunny cali I'd probably drive the stereotypical bmw, or something rwd...its cold here now
Old 11-17-2014, 04:40 PM

dont get me wrong, i would love a sh-awd..

but after so many horror stories.. i am happy to say i bought a fwd..

here are just from page 1 of the problems & fixes section

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...issues-808141/
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...roblem-918169/
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...mption-905239/
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...ucking-918566/
https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...nt-car-765546/

for every 8 threads posted about issues with sh-awd.. there is 1 thread about fwd..

the numbers are there..
Old 11-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
One other thing you need to consider is the SHAWD rides harsher and consumes more fuel.

You'll have more fluid to change but I'd say they are both Acura reliable.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Racer

for every 8 threads posted about issues with sh-awd.. there is 1 thread about fwd..

the numbers are there..
so far my only issue is the accelereration lag which actually has improved since buying the car (new) at now at 5k. Its definitely learned my habits which helps.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:02 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the numbers are there..
At least where I live, I usually see 8 AH-AWD to 1 FWD on the road. More people driving AWD, likely more problem found with the larger sample. Looks like my propeller shaft was replaced by previous owner at 10 000km mark (Yikes...so soon). But with snow and ice one the ground, I have a grin whenever I go for a drive, although FWD would be not too shabby also.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:33 AM
Queen of SH-AWD

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
It all depends on what you want and where you live.
I personally LOVE the Super Handling All Wheel Drive.
The car handles excellently in the summer (add HPT tires for the best experience) and exceedingly well in the winter (snow tires further improve the SH-AWD).

I personally haven't had any issues related to the SH-AWD, but other people have.
I guess you just need to roll the dice.
The only issue I've been having is excess oil consumption of 1-2 quarts per 1000 miles. I don't believe (nor does Acura) that it is related to SH-AWD.

However, with the SH-AWD you have to replace all four tires in the event of say, a blowout. That is what I've been told regarding tires and SH-AWD.

I'll say it again, I LOVE the SH-AWD and wouldn't buy another Acura without it.
That ear to ear grin when the car hugs a corner at high speed is amazing. lol

Also, if you're looking into a *2010* SH-AWD, you get the awesome exhaust tips!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:46 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts

the numbers are there..
The question to ask is not whether the AWD has more issues than the FWD, but if the AWD car is, in the overall scheme of cars, unreliable.

All the issues you've listed (3.7L oil consumption, torque converter, propeller shaft) are common with other top-tier SH-AWD Acuras of the time (all MDX's). Despite all that, the MDX still has a good reputation for reliability, and the SH-AWD TL is on the same level.

For me, the SH-AWD is the one and only reason why I'm driving a TL over the Accord, Camry Hybrid, or any other generic family car. Don't forget that the SH-AWD TL also has a sportier suspension tuning than the FWD car.

In short, buy the SH-AWD for a sports sedan that's an incredible value. Buy the FWD for a reliable family car that competes with the Accord and Camry.

Last edited by hddnav; 11-18-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
with a sh-awd, you will just be visiting the dealer more often than a fwd.. i had zero mechanical issues.. i had paint issues and a headrest issue.. that was it..
funny. I haven't had a single mechanical issue with my sh-awd.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Racer

maybe this is because we're honda guys but to me issues = leave stranded, or something that would leave you stalled in the middle of an intersection/left turn etc.

We're not bmw owners so no weird fan issues, severe power loss/failure, overheating etc, and for the most part our complaints are minor.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced

You lost all credibility on your Camry comparison.

My wife's company car is a Toyota Avalon, which she chose over the Camry ( the Camry felt small, and very utilitarian ... no driving enjoyment at all. I'm sure it will last a long time, though).

She rarely ever comments on vehicles, but she loves driving the TL compared to the Avalon. Looks better, much faster, handles better, sounds 1000 times better, and just as reliable.

Originally Posted by hddnav
The question to ask is not whether the AWD has more issues than the FWD, but if the AWD car is, in the overall scheme of cars, unreliable.

All the issues you've listed (3.7L oil consumption, torque converter, propeller shaft) are common with other top-tier SH-AWD Acuras of the time (all MDX's). Despite all that, the MDX still has a good reputation for reliability, and the SH-AWD TL is on the same level.

For me, the SH-AWD is the one and only reason why I'm driving a TL over the Accord, Camry Hybrid, or any other generic family car. Don't forget that the SH-AWD TL also has a sportier suspension tuning than the FWD car.

In short, buy the SH-AWD for a sports sedan that's an incredible value. Buy the FWD for a reliable family car that competes with the Accord and Camry.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:50 AM

you guys are soo off topic.. OP is asking which is more reliable.. everyone giving their opinion on why they bought a sh-awd.. smh..

in a nutshell, if you want reliability, go with fwd
Old 11-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Instructor

OP, you probably read more issues here about the SH-AWD because more people on Acurazine seem to own that rather than the FWD. The numbers and info you get on here is not a good representation or at all accurate. Your best bet is to check with dealerships. For me, I've only had a TC issue that was replaced under warranty, and my dealership said they've never had a replaced one come back bad again. No oil consumption problems, no propeller shaft sounds, no lagging in acceleration, and everything else has been fine. Two local dealerships to me have said these are very uncommon, and you likely hear the few that are having those problems posting on a public forum.

For me, I test drove the FWD and it felt heavy, the suspension too soft, and didn't handle well. The SH-AWD at least gives the car some positive handling characteristics considering the size and weight. And it works great in rainy/snowy weather. I wouldn't have bought a TL if AWD wasn't an option, it does truly change the car. I'd suggest you drive both and see which feels better, then consider if FWD even works. If it does, then great. But I wouldn't let the fear of the AWD hold you back either. Find a good CPO model and enjoy the car.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:08 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
you guys are soo off topic.. OP is asking which is more reliable.. everyone giving their opinion on why they bought a sh-awd.. smh..

in a nutshell, if you want reliability, go with fwd
But the OP also says "i live in the east coast so i would prefer a SH-AWD".

So the OP's mind is probably set, and the OP is simply looking for more support for the decision.

Having AWD capability when driving in the snow will more than offset the slight reliability perceptions.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
In terms of reliability, the more tech you have the more you will encounter problems. So yes, AWD will most probably have more issues.

Agree with the other post, if you ever decided to go with AWD try to add an extended warranty if you can.

AWD = 3.7 Engine + super handling (really excellent handling) and more fun to drive
Old 11-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
One more thing, the negative for AWD:

MPG = 19mpg on mix h-way & city (I guess Im having too much fun)
Old 11-18-2014, 01:26 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by morgan1819
You lost all credibility on your Camry comparison.
Camry and Accord are two peas in the same pod, two flavors of the same ice cream. One is a bit more bland but refined, while the other is a bit more sugary. The TL is an Accord with the ultimate sport-package tacked on. How could you not compare a FWD TL to a FWD Camry?

By the way, it could be said that many of the positive comments about the TLX comes from the observation that they've made it smoother and quieter than the TL, which are exactly the traits that the Camry excels in. It could be said that the TL + Camry = TLX.

The Camry may be bland and boring (and so are the mid-line Accords), but not without a considerable return in increased refinement and quietness.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Well, if reliable means the car starts and gets you from point A to point B most mornings you won't go wrong with either FWD or SH-AWD. The top issues with SH-AWD (propellor shaft and TC) haven't stopped anyone from going about their day, they typically equal a lot of unwanted noise and shifting issue at low RPMs. My '12 SH-AWD had the propellor replaced around 30K miles - I only noticed the whistle when I had passengers in the car and no music on. I believe most '12 and up SH-AWD's have had the majority of TC issues resolved with a software update.

The SH-AWD completely changes the personality of the car - you most likely won't regret it. I think during the entire time I've been a member of this forum only one poster has regretted getting SH-AWD because of the harsher ride, and in the same post wished they had gotten an Avalon instead. Personally, I bought my SH-AWD over the competition because I wanted an engaging driving experience and love being pinned to my seat taking curves at *less than safe* speeds

You'll have to spend quite a bit more $$ to get a car equally or more fun than the TL SH-AWD - good luck
Old 11-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RCJD
One more thing, the negative for AWD:

MPG = 19mpg on mix h-way & city (I guess Im having too much fun)
19 now that winter is here. My dad gets 22-23 overall in his fwd 12 but i doubt his car sees above 3000 rpm. Its realistically no more than 1-2 overall unless the op does tons of hwy.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:46 AM
Racer

the numbers are there..
This is far from significant statistical figures. You need to compare OWNERSHIP of AWD vs FWD. What if there are 16 AWD to 1 FWD? You don't know how many FWD vs AWD owners tend to use Acurazine or report issues. Your conclusion means close to nothing, which is why I asked if this is merely opinion based on experiences on here, or if there are some real, official numbers based on acceptable sampling methods.

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
One other thing you need to consider is the SHAWD rides harsher and consumes more fuel.

You'll have more fluid to change but I'd say they are both Acura reliable.
by harsher, I think you mean sportier
Old 11-19-2014, 07:47 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by vtec260
At least where I live, I usually see 8 AH-AWD to 1 FWD on the road. More people driving AWD, likely more problem found with the larger sample. Looks like my propeller shaft was replaced by previous owner at 10 000km mark (Yikes...so soon). But with snow and ice one the ground, I have a grin whenever I go for a drive, although FWD would be not too shabby also.
exactly
Old 11-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Racer

its at least 4 to 1 where I live...usually the shawd drivers are more spirited lol.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:54 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by BSG1
The TC warranty was already extended to 7yrs/100k by Acura.
Oh... I didn't know that.
Does this apply to all 4G or limited to specific years?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the numbers are there..
heh, interesting commentary... nothing that i've come to expect from honda, and i've owned 2 of them. going to look at a manual 2010 tl this weekend. the crows foot paint defect and clutch takeup are 2 things i'm going to specifically look for.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by C8N
Oh... I didn't know that.
Does this apply to all 4G or limited to specific years?
I believe 09-11 only. And I misspoke, apparently it's 8yrs/105k warranty:

BACKGROUND
Product Update: PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch
Function

A judder from the torque converter lock-up clutch may
be felt while driving between 20–45 mph. To minimize
the opportunity for the judder to occur, a software
update for the transmission is available.

Warranty Extension: Torque Converter

If the judder returns after the transmission software is
updated, the torque converter may need to be
replaced. To increase customer confidence, American
Honda is extending the warranty on the torque
converter in affected vehicles to 8 years from the
original date of purchase or 105,000 miles, whichever
comes first.
The warranty extension does not apply to any vehicle
that has ever been declared a total loss or sold for
salvage by a financial institution or insurer, or has a
branded or similar title under any state’s law.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:21 AM

This is far from significant statistical figures. You need to compare OWNERSHIP of AWD vs FWD. What if there are 16 AWD to 1 FWD? You don't know how many FWD vs AWD owners tend to use Acurazine or report issues. Your conclusion means close to nothing, which is why I asked if this is merely opinion based on experiences on here, or if there are some real, official numbers based on acceptable sampling methods.
lets be realistic here.. there are as much awd owners as fwd owners here on azine.. just look at the 4g TL Owners sign in thread.. given the fact that there is virtually no thread about "issues" with fwd but many on the sh-awd.. doesnt that hint you? dont you see the pattern?? you see threads everyday about the awd system and its issues.. either that or oil consumption.. so much that it seems like a vast majority of the awd owners are having the same issue.. so what does that tell you?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Advanced

Listen, I understand your need to belittle the 'pedestrian' FWD TL, based on the fact that you spent more money on the SH-AWD. We understand where you are coming from.

But having recently test driven a Camry with my wife, here is how it felt compared to the Acura TL: Slower, buzzy engine, smaller/tighter interior, lots of body roll in the corners, and the interior materials were not in the same league. AKA boring.

Your comparison based on sound levels is ridiculous, to say the least. One of the quietest cars ever was a late 90's Corolla. Would you put that above the TL? The Corolla is also quieter than some 911's I have driven.

I place more value on other aspects, such as feel, control, sound, and other tactile sensations that make driving rewarding. BMW is the best at this. Acura is close, with much better reliability. Your Camry doesn't even register. It's a well made appliance, to go from A to B.

We can afford any car we want. We chose the FWD TL because it was more comfortable than the SH-AWD for our 38 year old bodies on long trips. The 30 mpg highway meant fewer stops as well.

The SH-AWD is a great car. In some cases the FWD is the right choice. The FWD was a smarter choice for us.

Originally Posted by hddnav
Camry and Accord are two peas in the same pod, two flavors of the same ice cream. One is a bit more bland but refined, while the other is a bit more sugary. The TL is an Accord with the ultimate sport-package tacked on. How could you not compare a FWD TL to a FWD Camry?

By the way, it could be said that many of the positive comments about the TLX comes from the observation that they've made it smoother and quieter than the TL, which are exactly the traits that the Camry excels in. It could be said that the TL + Camry = TLX.

The Camry may be bland and boring (and so are the mid-line Accords), but not without a considerable return in increased refinement and quietness.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
by harsher, I think you mean sportier
Sure

But if you drive the SHAWD on broken roads daily, it gets tiring pretty quickly. If the TL AWD rode like the TLX AWD, I'd have bought it in a heart beat, to be honest.

My wife even thinks my FWD on 17" is rough. We live in Houston where some freeways are really bad.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
reliability wise - go FWD. less to break, less complex.

performance wise - go AWD. handles WAY better.

given that it is an Acura... I think you can have your cake and eat it too... get AWD as it is a pretty reliable brand. My TL has 50k miles on it and it's NEVER broken down or left me stranded. my MDX has the same AWD system, that car has 110k miles and has never left me stranded...never had ANY issues with the AWD system in either car.
The following users liked this post:
internalaudit (11-26-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 01:03 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love my "new" AWD. feels very sporty.

both choices are excellent. I agree that FWD has fewer oil to change and fewer component to worry about. But i was not part of my decision at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SH-AWD vs FWD