New owners of Acura TL: 2009-2014

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 07:45 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
New owners of Acura TL: 2009-2014

Welcome all new owners of Acura TL!

This thread will be dedicated to all of us, who purchased a used Acura TL. Share your experience here. Your likes and dislikes. Rate your car out of 5.

I will start:

Acura TL SH-AWD A Spec (tech package)
Quad exhausts
Comfortable and sporty seats
Tech package = two thumps up
Powerful - 305HP

Dislikes:
Not very quiet cabin
Rattles ( i hear some)
Gas consumption

Rating: 4/5

Remarks: Overall, an amazing car! Very Satisfied from my purchase. thanks to AZ for helping me out.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:46 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Dislikes:
Smallish and oddly-shaped trunk for the AWD model.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 AM
2014 TL SH-AWD Advance

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
So nobody who bought one new can comment?
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (12-08-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 09:07 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Welcome all new owners of Acura TL!

This thread will be dedicated to all of us, who purchased a used Acura TL. Share your experience here. Your likes and dislikes. Rate your car out of 5.

I will start:

Acura TL SH-AWD A Spec (tech package)
Quad exhausts
Powerful - 305HP

Dislikes:
Not very quiet cabin
Rattles ( i hear some)
Gas consumption

Rating: 4/5

Remarks: Overall, an amazing car! Very Satisfied from my purchase. thanks to AZ for helping me out.
Agreed on the dislikes: cabin noise, rattles (mostly from loud audio). Fuel consumption was fully expected, so no complaints there. Need to pay if you want some performance.

Nonetheless, the many positives faaar outweigh the few negatives:
4.25/5
Old 11-17-2014, 12:18 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got a 2012 Acura TL Base, 3 weeks ago now

So far the car has been great, a few issues here and there but the dealer took care of them pretty fast.

Some downsides:

MPG seem to be around 23, even though most of my driving is highway.

Previous owner had changed the tires to Bridgestone Turanza EL400, which are
terrible when wet.

Overall 4/5.

Almost wish I would've went with the SH-AWD, but the price I paid for the base was too good.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:13 PM
3rd Gear

I've had my 2010 TL SH for about a month now. The biggest thing I'm let down with is the 5 speed auto. 2nd gear shifts are hard in sport mode, also compared to a g37, shifts are slow, and no rev matching. I was gonna hold off and buy the 2012 for the upgraded transmission, but because my g35 coupe had serious oil consumption issues I couldn't wait. The 3 main reasons I bought it would the interior(I have the brown leather), awd(I live in Canada), and it's a rare car.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:03 PM
rock the block

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by PhuNgo
I've had my 2010 TL SH for about a month now. The biggest thing I'm let down with is the 5 speed auto. 2nd gear shifts are hard in sport mode, also compared to a g37, shifts are slow, and no rev matching. I was gonna hold off and buy the 2012 for the upgraded transmission, but because my g35 coupe had serious oil consumption issues I couldn't wait. The 3 main reasons I bought it would the interior(I have the brown leather), awd(I live in Canada), and it's a rare car.
Welcome to AZ fellow Canuck!
Old 11-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only had my 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance for 5 days now and I honestly at this point can't find a negative with it. Actually the more I drive the more I like it, the more I look at it the better it starts to look. I have owned all kinds of sport cars since I lived in Europe for 5 1/2 years and the TL ranks high in all categories. Overall it's very high if not at the top of the list granted its not as fast as others I have had but it makes up for that with the luxury side of it.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:40 PM
10th Gear

That oddly shaped trunk is so true! But its still spacious and enough for everything I need to carry. And goddamn does Acura know how to put an interior together.

Speaking from a 2009 TECH SHAWD TL.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by maaaaackle
And goddamn does Acura know how to put an interior together.
and After 18 months of ownership, I am still in awe everytime I enter my ZDX. Soft leather and nice upscale materials everywhere.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:21 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura TL 2014 SH-AWD A Spec (tech package)
low cost of ownership
alot of space in the back seats

Dislikes:

Rattles ( i hear some)
lack of torque = relatively slow car
car is too heavy
FWD biased, nose dive in turns
lack of fold down back seats
weird truck space
Gas consumption

previous car 335i
Tony Pac (11-21-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 08:40 AM
AZ Community Team

thanks guys!

It's funny i see every day a new thread "new owner of TL" and only 3-4 people posted here. anyway...
Old 11-22-2014, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
2011 SH AWD

Style once grill and boomerang have been colored matched.

DISLIKES:
Rattles, I know the main rattle is the plastic cover over the gauges.
Paint defect (Acura had my car for 4 months)
Tech, way behind for a Luxury car at a 40k plus price tag.
Trunk is to small for a car this size

I can't really comment on reliability as I have only put 6k miles on the car and have had no issues, I did buy it because it's a Honda though. To me it's just a car nothing to really rave about.
Tony Pac (11-22-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi, just bought a 2012 TL 3.7 with AWD and Tech package. (Black exterior with Umber leather)

Pretty big transition, having come from a BMW 750LI.

I loved driving the BMW and its incredible refinement but it was insanely expensive to own. Had many big repairs at under 60k miles that you shouldn't see in any car, never mind a "German engineered" $80k auto.

The TL is a really quick and great handling car, the interior is gorgeous, and I love the ELS audio system. Having bought certified, it has a great amount of bumper to bumper remaining, along with the extended powertrain protection.

I would say the only thing to get used to is a slightly harsh ride, but again, I have to realize I am going from a limo like 750 to a cool 4 door sports car. I'll deal with it by the big smiles induced whe I put it in the "sports" mode and punch the gas
Tony Pac (11-24-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Ephi82
Hi, just bought a 2012 TL 3.7 with AWD and Tech package. (Black exterior with Umber leather)

I loved driving the BMW and its incredible refinement but it was insanely expensive to own. Had many big repairs at under 60k miles that you shouldn't see in any car, never mind a "German engineered" $80k auto.

The TL is a really quick and great handling car, the interior is gorgeous, and I love the ELS audio system. Having bought certified, it has a great amount of bumper to bumper remaining, along with the extended powertrain protection.

I would say the only thing to get used to is a slightly harsh ride, but again, I have to realize I am going from a limo like 750 to a cool 4 door sports car. I'll deal with it by the big smiles induced whe I put it in the "sports" mode and punch the gas
Congrats!!!

Glad you liked it.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:43 PM
2009*TL^Sh-awd*Tech

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Purchased my 2009 TL Sh a couple years back, i actually had a huge leap from a 1999 Honda Accord coupe which i loved.

-Power & Control are a plus!
-Interior is great and the ELS system is amazing.
-Exterior looks really sporty and fluent, love to see it everyday.

Dislikes:
-Trunk space
-Fuel consumption (not too bad actually lol)

Overal i would rate it a 4.5/5
Old 11-26-2014, 10:16 PM
CLS^6

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Like:
- styling
- engine character/responsiveness
- interior layout

Dislike:
- lack of mods that increase performance
- fear of transmission failure

It's interesting to hear comments about the car feeling slow (5 speed auto or 6 speed auto) because the car does not feel like a 6.5 second car to 60. It feels much faster then that. I also find the transmission to be snappy and crisp in a good way. I do find it to be sort of clunky during the warm-up window but that is ok. I also find that lifting off the gas to "force" shifts increases enjoyment.

Maybe I just have rose coloured glasses on still, but I think the car is a blast.

I should also add my daily driver is a Prius (averages about 4.5 per 100km). And driving the two back to back is hilarious. The TL feels like a total beast in comparison. It's all relative I guess when talking performance.

Last edited by suspekt360; 11-26-2014 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Error in paragraph
Old 11-29-2014, 12:46 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Purchased 2011 SH-AWD Tech package with 14000 miles about 8 months ago for $25,000 - (CPO at the Dealership)

26000 miles today, no problems. My consumption might be high because I drive in sport mode most of the time and have a heavy foot. (So my bad not the car)

Overall, this is a great car for the money; the AWD system is most likely one of the best around. (Similar AWD systems like on TL SH-AWD are only found on vehicles costing thousand's of dollars more)

A lot of luxurious features are a bonus, most other cars will have these as options with a steep price tag.

No car is perfect, hence the TL is for sure hard to beat for the price.

4.5/5

Last edited by mylove4cars; 11-29-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:07 PM
CLS^6

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Ephi82

How do you like the engine/power of the TL compared to the 750? I mean totally completely different powerplants. Your TL is the slower of the two in timed tests but how does it actually feel?
Old 11-30-2014, 10:43 AM
2005 RL with over 200k KM

Hello TL'ers,

After 9yrs and 250,000km with a 2005 RL, we have traded to a 2yr old 2013 TL SH-AWD Tech with 30,000km. Excited by the more powerful engine and updated electronics.

The first [minor] issue is that while the car came installed with the Remote Starter, it seems that you have to also carry the original remote, which seems silly.

Look forward to having the TL forum and posters as a valuable aid to my interactions with Acura Service.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by suspekt360
How do you like the engine/power of the TL compared to the 750? I mean totally completely different powerplants. Your TL is the slower of the two in timed tests but how does it actually feel?
I read specs that said the TL is faster than the BMW in 0-60? Dont remember the qtr mile?

The TL feels much quicker, and I feel more confident handling it at higher speeds and aggressive driving than I did in the BMW 750 LI. The BMW is a massive car.

With that said, I would still have the BMW if it didn't cost me at least $1,000 in repairs each year I've owned it. (Bought at 24K in 2010 and sold at 60k miles three weeks ago) You have to pay for performance. In addition to the repairs, the suspension is so aggressively set up that you go through a set of $1600 tires in about 12,000 - 18,000 miles. I am just too cheap!

Back to the TL, I just returned from a 500+ mile roundtrip. Here are my impressions after 3 weeks of ownership:

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD A Spec (tech package)
Decent looking car, especially Black/Umber, but a lot of mid sized cars are shaped like the TL these days.

Comfortable and sporty seats. Side bolsters very supportive

Tech package is way intuitive compared to the BMW, I love the ELS sound and a NAV system that works well.

Powerful - 308HP and throaty sound when driven aggressively. Effortless acceleration when you need it after learning to use the Sports setting and paddles. Really great transmission. A stick would be cooler, but I dont miss it

Good sight lines

Great mileage for a really quick car

Excellent handling and brakes. Outstanding

Dislikes:

The ride can be harsh, but I'm coming from a BMW 7 series

Why not lumbar support on passenger seat? Dumb choice in saving costs

Rating: 4.3/5
The following 2 users liked this post by Ephi82:
MikeTL92 (12-01-2014), Terragotti (12-01-2014)
Old 12-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi guys new to the forum from ON, Canada. Bought my CPO TL almost two months ago. I just love driving this car it gets better every day.

2010 Acura TL SH-AWD (tech package)

Quad exhausts
Sporty Seats
ELS Sound System
Plenty of Power
Handling and weight of steering wheel
Room for 4
Factory HIDs
Automatic Climate - I like that the car wont start blowing air until the coolant has warmed up especially during winter time

Dislikes:
Could be Quieter
No song info for Bluetooth Audio
I wish the driver seat would slide back automatically for easier exit/entry

Rating: 4.7/5
Old 12-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm new to the Acurazine forums, but have been a long time member over at ClubRSX. I recently purchased a 2012 Acura TL with Technology Package and gave my 2005 Acura RSX-S to my brother. Coming from a lowered and modified sports compact car, the TL feels luxurious, smooth, and quiet.

2012 Acura TL Technology Package

Navigation System (Bluetooth, backup camera, etc.)
Power
Interior is Roomy and Comfortable
Factory HIDs
Armrest
Sound System (Good subwoofer)

Dislikes:
Battery (Had it replaced within a week of purchasing new car)
Handling (Car feels big and heavy)
Gas Mileage
Old 12-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 TL Tech/Advanced Package
Purchased with 5k miles on it
BWP with Tan Leather

Came from a 2009 Honda Fit Sport with Nav

Nav is ok, not sure the Traffic and Weather is worth the extra $. Similar feeling interface as my Fit Nav radio.
Radio/Speakers sounds great
HID's
Great foot and headroom

Dislikes:
A bit noisy for a "Luxury" brand car
Driver seat is a bit narrow for me, I am 6'2.
Bluetooth Track info is non-existent with iPhones
Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by demontwinz
Acura TL 2014 SH-AWD A Spec (tech package)
low cost of ownership
alot of space in the back seats

Dislikes:

Rattles ( i hear some)
lack of torque = relatively slow car
car is too heavy
FWD biased, nose dive in turns
lack of fold down back seats
weird truck space
Gas consumption

previous car 335i
I also have a 2014 SHAWD. Had a 2012 SH AWD prior. Love the car, wish it had a dual clutch, 7 speed auto. Cabin is loud at highway speeds, not much else to complain about. Great car for the $! I also had a 335i prior to the TLs, I don,t find the TL to be much slower than the BMW. The TL is a better handling car, especially in wet or inclement weather conditions. I rate the car a 4.5 out of 5
Old 12-10-2014, 05:51 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New to me 2010 TL

I picked up my 2010 TL Tech WDP 1 week ago. Drives like a dream and I like it very much. I'm not a Mario Andretti so I don't punch it at every stop light but the few times I have, WOW, that is nice for a Sport Luxury sedan. I came from a Camry for 10 years, Dodge RAM pickup, and previous to those my 1991 Acura Legend. I finally came back.

Acura TL 2010 WDP/Parchment Tech
Get up and Go when I need it
Acura Reliability (to be proven but am betting on it)
Comfortable seats
Tech package (still learning what it all does, but huge improvement from my Camry)
Overall look and feel.

Dislikes:
Small trunk access space
Gas consumption (should be better, but not horrible)
Stock rims. Want to switch them out.
Tony Pac (12-16-2014)
Old 12-15-2014, 09:48 AM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New owner of 2013 TL Tech in Toronto (purchased 6 weeks ago).

Tech package
Comfortable front seats

Dislikes:
Rear seat space (especially middle seat - useless for anyone over 5 feet tall!)
More spacious trunk would have been nice
Fuel consumption. I'm averaging ~ 13L/100km with about 80% City/20%Hwy. So far have only used Costco premium. Might try another brand to experiment. Any tips to improve mileage would be appreciated!
Old 12-15-2014, 09:13 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
So after 6 months of ownership, I can say i LOVE my 2012 advance. Here is my review so far.

I had a 05 base model that I traded in years ago, and regretted it ever since, between that time and now I owned a 2012 charger SXT V6 (totaled) and most recently a 2010 Camaro SS lightly modded. Granted the TL is not nearly as fast as the Camaro, obviously, the charger was just plain slow. The TL i think is great compromise. It has enough ass that its fun to drive, while not compromising fuel economy.

The Navigation system is nice, I wish there was touch screen however, and they didn't wait until 2015 to offer one. However the dial is a fine middle point and works just fine. The ELS system In my opinion is a great upgrade to the previous audio systems I've had before. I drive about 25k a year, about a 70/30 split highway/city, so far I average about 25/26 mpg.

The car has adequate acceleration, breaking, and handling. I love the Cooled seats, that's a favorite for me. I love all the small things since i spend a lot of time in my car, the phone tray as i call it on the console, the storage pockets on both sides of the center console, adequate storage space in the center console. The only compliant about storage is i wish they had a cup holder in the door like my 05 did. Again sounds small but I spend ALOT of time in my car.

I really have zero complains about the car aside from my bum torque converter. Its getting repaired under warranty, but I will say that Acura has great customer service compared to chevy and dodge. They diagnosed the problem fast, and offered me a loaner right there. Cannot say the same for chevy at all, as a matter of fact their customer service was atrocious. I had to rent a car all 5 times my camaro was in the shop (bad third gear syncro, (2) AC repairs, and (2) FPCM repairs).

Overall i would rate my car a 4.8/5 and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for performance, sportiness, and a overall great sedan.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:38 PM
4th Gear

I recently bought a white 2012 TL tech package with 33k miles certified for 25,600. Great style and I love how the car feels solid.

Likes- Premium quality material inside, solid feel and handling, aggressive motor even in automatic mode, excellent gas milage especially on the highway, sound system. I cant speak on reliability just yet as i only have put 2k miles on it.

Dislikes- ROugh shifting transmission, currently put car in shop to replace torque converter (seems to be a common issue with acura) at no cost. hopefully this takes care of the hard shifts and low vibrations at low RPMs.

Otherwise I love this car and plan on having it for a long time!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:24 AM
5th Gear

Hi,

Well, we've had our 2010 TL AWD since 2012 but i recently inherited it from my wife (now in a Grand Cherokee). Bought it with 18k miles on the odo and now have 46k trouble free miles. I'll also add that this is probably the safest car we've ever owned and I would be a repeat Acura customer just because of this.

I hit a deer last year doing 75 mph (cruise on). I came around a curve and that sucker was standing right in my lane. I hit her square on, airbags deployed correctly but front end smashed pretty good. I DROVE THE CAR for the remaining 60 miles home, which is pretty awesome. Not so awesome for the deer. Acura put it back together and all is good as new.

I think being in the TL could have saved me from a lot worse injuries. Needless to say, I'm a big fan.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Thank you guys!

these short reviews will help other buyers to make a decision.

this forum is a great place to obtain knowledge, unbiased opinion and make a decision on your next purchase.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:19 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tjackson8608
I recently bought a white 2012 TL tech package with 33k miles certified for 25,600. Great style and I love how the car feels solid.

Likes- Premium quality material inside, solid feel and handling, aggressive motor even in automatic mode, excellent gas milage especially on the highway, sound system. I cant speak on reliability just yet as i only have put 2k miles on it.

Dislikes- ROugh shifting transmission, currently put car in shop to replace torque converter (seems to be a common issue with acura) at no cost. hopefully this takes care of the hard shifts and low vibrations at low RPMs.

Otherwise I love this car and plan on having it for a long time!
My 2012 also had the torque converter replaced just right before i bought it from dealer. I was a little skeptical but I heard it is a common problem for this gen model. Wish mine was a tech but I paid for $20,400 at 40K miles so I can live with that.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Awsome

Love the car. Dislikes gas consumption
Old 12-17-2014, 07:09 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by digitaltypeS
My 2012 also had the torque converter replaced just right before i bought it from dealer. I was a little skeptical but I heard it is a common problem for this gen model. Wish mine was a tech but I paid for $20,400 at 40K miles so I can live with that.
Yeah I havent really heard anything negative other than this. Many people seem overall satisfied with the vehicle. Thats a good price, especially with the new TC installed. I hear the new TC they put in is an updated part.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:35 PM
3rd Gear

I purchased my TL 2012 w/Tech Package also came with the 19"diamond cut wheels, tinted windows, door panel moldings. it was bought in may of 2014 it was 2 years old but with only 16,000 miles on the engine. it came in off a lease.

nice look
comfortable and roomy interior
nice nav and radio

Dislikes:
stiff ride
somewhat noisy cabin but tolerable

overall this car is impressive you get every bit of your moneys worth out of this car i currently have 25,000 miles and have had zero problems this car is amazing and plan on keeping hopefully till about 100 to 150 thousand miles.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
a couple MINOR dislikes - some rattle in driver door when music very loud. Could use some extra padding.

also the weight - if Acura could somehow use some lighter materials it would be sooo much faster. It's noticeably heavy, but still very fast and fun. All the tech in it makes it heavy I suppose.
Tony Pac (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 01:44 PM
AZ Community Team

I have the car since August 2014. Simply love it. No car is perfect.

Acura TL SH-AWD with tech pack - A-Spec = Gold

Fast, sporty, reliable and winter friendly.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:41 PM
2nd Gear

Just got a 2010 base model. $20,400 - 28k miles.
So far so good. Handles nice and looks good. It is a family car and my commuter.
I do prefer my '03 Dodge turbo diesel 4x4.

It does use some fuel for sure.....
Old 01-15-2015, 06:39 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got a new 2014 TL Elite/Advance SH-AWD
Love everything about it. Just wished the under body kit came with it due to being a 49k car and all.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:16 PM
AZ Community Team

congrats!

Quick Reply: New owners of Acura TL: 2009-2014