Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My 2012 TL SH-AWD, and Miscellaneous Ramblings

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts
My 2012 TL SH-AWD, and Miscellaneous Ramblings

I've had my TL for almost two months. I really like this car.It had a little over 25k miles on it when I bought it, virtually brand new. I pulled the panels in the engine bay off today, and detailed the engine bay. Filled the brake fluid.Build quality appears to be good.The car runs great.It rides stiff, and you feel road irregularities, it's a function of the suspension and the SH-AWD system. I knew that going in, and the trade off is worth the handing.

I remember when the Legend first came out. Conventional wisdom in the press, automotive and regular was no one in their right mind would pay $20K for a Japanese car.Like a lot of things, the press was wrong, not only did folks pay $20K for the legend, they sold like hot-cakes.I tried to buy one, unsuccessfully, no one budged off of sticker.They're great cars. I've seen some threads about Acura's declining quality. Don't know about that.I do know BMW was replacing the 4.0 and 3.0 V-8s in the late eighties like there was no tomorrow.The current BMW V-10 is not holding up to well.

I had a 1994 LS 400. I loved that car. It was a great ride. I bought it off lease.I traded it in at 148k miles. The hood struts had to be replaced.The air conditioning compressor had given up the ghost.The instrument LED panels had failed.The leather didn't wear well.The drive train was bullet proof. I still think it was a good car.

I had a 1998 GS 430. That was a great car.Sold it with a little over 75k miles on it.Not a lick of trouble.However I got smoked very badly by an Audi S5?It was a bad beat-down, not even close.

The last Lexus I bought was a 2008 ES 350. I think the ES 350 is the best bang for buck car in the line-up.Interior and exterior dimensions were within 2 inches or less of the LS400, and the engine out-put was close. It was a great car.

I owned a 1998 BMW M3. It was a great car.I love straight sixes.No torque steer and very linear. It was an expensive car to own. The rag top was not very good and failed. I traded it in on the ES 350.

The TL is faster and corners better than the M3.I understand there's 14 years of technology improvements between the cars. I really liked the BMW, but really didn't consider getting one when I started looking for a car.

My daughter bought a 2004 RSX Type S. She had no credit so the name on the Honda Loan was mine. I drove that car quite a bit and loved it. It was a really fun car to drive.It was rock solid on the highway and bullet proof.My daughter really abused that car, and it took the abuse and kept right on running. A really great car.

Just my observations.

Not anything to draw any conclusions from.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (02-11-2017)
Old 02-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Great post. Thanks.

Do you plan any modifications for the TL?
Old 02-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't think I'm going to do any modifications. The car is pretty pristine, and I really don't want to spend the money right now. I really only drive the car on the weekends, my daily is a Honda Odyssey, that's got 175,000 miles on it and is still going strong. I've done some builds in the past, just not motivated. This is the last car I did, still have it, the drive train and suspension is new. It needs the trim done, paint, and an interior. I don't think I'll ever get it done, don't want to spend the money and I can drive it now without much worry of it getting dinged or something.
Attached Thumbnails My 2012 TL SH-AWD, and Miscellaneous Ramblings-img_2011.jpg   My 2012 TL SH-AWD, and Miscellaneous Ramblings-new-c-kand-n-2.jpg  
Old 02-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Love those old engine bays! Look at the room to work on that thing!