Headrest issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
Yup. It's the exact reason that Acura has the first line of 5star crash test rated cars. The headrests are what got them that.
I probably won't buy another Acura because the head restraints are so uncomfortable that I hate the car. Honda had a high repeat buyer ratio though without a cachet. Then they had a high enthusiast (rice-burner) market, but lower owner loyalty and still no cachet. Now they're gunning to completely kill the loyalty, which will still prevent much cachet.

Safety at the cost of comfort isn't the path to great sales. Owners impact potential owners; the fact that compewterbleu, who is the same height but 25-pounds heavier than me, is comfortable isn't relevant... I don't have as much padding in my rump and back to push my spine forward as he does.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TechnoCat
I probably won't buy another Acura because the head restraints are so uncomfortable that I hate the car. Honda had a high repeat buyer ratio though without a cachet. Then they had a high enthusiast (rice-burner) market, but lower owner loyalty and still no cachet. Now they're gunning to completely kill the loyalty, which will still prevent much cachet.

Safety at the cost of comfort isn't the path to great sales. Owners impact potential owners; the fact that compewterbleu, who is the same height but 25-pounds heavier than me, is comfortable isn't relevant... I don't have as much padding in my rump and back to push my spine forward as he does.
You'll find that all manufacturers will be going toward head restraints being made in a similar fashion.

Weight of the driver has nothing to do with it, its the way you position your seat. If you have the seat back almost vertical, you WILL be very uncomfortable, no matter what your weight.

I'm a slim 6' 175, I have the seat reclined a bit, not too far back but not too far forward. I sit pretty straight, I don't slouch, and when driving, the headrest is about 1" behind my head, pretty much optimal for safety purposes and it isn't uncomfortable. The headrest is mostly behind the B pillar.

Adjust your seat a little and you'll see.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
This is a relatively new phenomenon. I have seen people on honda accord forums, and toyota prius forums bitching about the uncomfortable headrests pushing their heads forward. I think in the past buyers didn't know they had to be wary of this
Old 06-03-2010, 12:39 AM
6th Gear

Well, it seems to be relatively new federal regulation re: active head restraints (which, according to the TL safety feature descriptions online, these ARE indeed):

It's important to remember that this regulation was implemented on September 1, 2008, and only applies to 2009 passenger vehicles built on or after this date. Similar legislation was in place prior to this, but it was less comprehensive. If your car was built before the law took effect, you need to take special care to make sure that the restraints are properly adjusted.
Article
Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
Yup. It's the exact reason that Acura has the first line of 5star crash test rated cars. The headrests are what got them that.
pete....good point. I think we're going to see a whole lot more of those types of head restraints. And, I agree that those head restraints are one of the reasons (among many) that the TL gets the high safety marks it does.

One thing I've noted from the pics, those having problems seem to be putting the head restraints in the top most position. I know with mine lowered all the way, I don't have any issues whatsoever. Truth told, one of the big selling points of my SH AWD (performance/handling being the main reason) were the comfort and security of the seats, especially during aggressive driving.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:27 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TechnoCat

My rump nor back are that padded, I work out 3- 5 times a week, LOL! Weights and cardio, LOL! The 5 star safety rating was a big part of my buying a vehicle like this because I know I tend to push my car from time to time and I like to account for the "bad" or irresponsible driver.

I prefer to drive in a position where I have complete control of my vehicle and my vision is clear and not obstructed. I don't slouch or sit riding the floor board. I don't sit up high either. I have two settings in my car for driving, city and highway.

Ergonomics are different for everyone, some have longer arms with short torsos some short are with longer torsos and such...so to design a car that fits everyone is a task even with adjustable seats, tilt and telescopic and pedals. I've driven Ferrari's and Porsche's that took me some doing to get a good comfortable setting for driving and I've jumped in other models where the fit was almost immediate, like when I test drove my 2001 3.2 CL, it fit like a glove and the first time I adjusted it was when the battery died on me.

Like a pair of shoes unless you get you a pair of custom Bruno Mag's the fit may not be as personalized as you like...or comfortable for that matter.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM
2nd Gear

If you find any solutions please post! I just bought a 2008 MDX and am having the exact problems you are. I am desperate for a solution!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Cruisin'

I have a 2010 TL and bought an 04 headrest to replace it. The poles were too narrow to fit. My plan is to find a pair that fits, then reupholster them. I'll let you know if I find something that works.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:10 PM
3rd Gear

Problem comes from cranium anatomy. The back of some heads is pretty much flat in line with the neck. Others, like mine, have a slight bulge toward the back. With the head rest in proper position I have to drive with my head being pointed down and my eyes looking up. Just perfect for a nice long ride. My 07 TL was pure comfort on long rides. My dealer swapped the TL headrests out and GAVE me new matching MDX headrests. Much better but still not a complete fix. The issues wasn't just discomfort but a chronic and painful misalignment of my cervical spine. My neck was sore for weeks after driving the car only a few thousand miles in total. I tried every possible adjustment. If you have a flat back of the head, try taping a tennis ball to the back and see how you like it!!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:11 PM
3rd Gear

Pain in the Neck

Originally Posted by KeithL
Proper headreasts are supposed to basically line the back of your head up with your back. This is to prevent whiplash in accidents. The furtherest point front on the head reast should be lined up to the back of furthest part back on your head. If you get hit in the rear you head should NOT tilt backward on your neck.
Problem comes from cranium anatomy. The back of some heads is pretty much flat in line with the neck. Others, like mine, have a slight bulge toward the back. With the head rest in proper position I have to drive with my head being pointed down and my eyes looking up. Just perfect for a nice long ride. My 07 TL was pure comfort on long rides. My dealer swapped the TL headrests out and GAVE me new matching MDX headrests. Much better but still not a complete fix. The issues wasn't just discomfort but a chronic and painful misalignment of my cervical spine. My neck was sore for weeks after driving the car only a few thousand miles in total. I tried every possible adjustment. If you have a flat back of the head, try taping a tennis ball to the back and see how you like it!!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:25 PM
1st Gear

Folks

I recently bought a 2012 TL. The headrest is very uncomfortable. I found this forum, and just want to thank previous posters for their ideas. I went to my Acura dealer, and found that the current TSX model headrests fit my car, but they are only a little better and would be expensive to buy.
Per ideas here, I went to some Honda dealers, and found the 2003-2007 headrests fit, and were much more comfortable. I then went on Ebay and found a black leather 2006 EX headrest which I got for $60. (The LX also works, but are cloth.) It fits, and is much, much better.

So, thanks for the help, guys.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:15 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by berkeleydave
Folks

I recently bought a 2012 TL. The headrest is very uncomfortable. I found this forum, and just want to thank previous posters for their ideas. I went to my Acura dealer, and found that the current TSX model headrests fit my car, but they are only a little better and would be expensive to buy.
Per ideas here, I went to some Honda dealers, and found the 2003-2007 headrests fit, and were much more comfortable. I then went on Ebay and found a black leather 2006 EX headrest which I got for $60. (The LX also works, but are cloth.) It fits, and is much, much better.

So, thanks for the help, guys.
I raised hell at my dealer and the gave me 2 front MDX headrests that are a bit better. I still need a squishy neck pillow for long trips. This is crazy. I get chronic neck pain in my cervical vertebrae and the so-called experts on this forum want to lecture me about how I can't comprehend the design or proper techniques for adjustment. Well, duh, that's not a very smart answer. The problem is that the crash test dummies don't feel the pain in their necks just sitting in the car. I tried every possible seat and headrest adjustment. Pain is the only result. The real problem is that Acura/Honda personnel are coached in "countering objections" rather than in LISTENING and LEARNING from their soon-to-be-former customers. WAKE UP, Bozos!!!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by badgerboy
I raised hell at my dealer and the gave me 2 front MDX headrests that are a bit better. I still need a squishy neck pillow for long trips. This is crazy. I get chronic neck pain in my cervical vertebrae and the so-called experts on this forum want to lecture me about how I can't comprehend the design or proper techniques for adjustment. Well, duh, that's not a very smart answer. The problem is that the crash test dummies don't feel the pain in their necks just sitting in the car. I tried every possible seat and headrest adjustment. Pain is the only result. The real problem is that Acura/Honda personnel are coached in "countering objections" rather than in LISTENING and LEARNING from their soon-to-be-former customers. WAKE UP, Bozos!!!!!!!!
Its not just them, its federal standards. Like said above, not everyone is built the same and making something that fits everyone just isnt possible, just like shoes and clothing.

Let me ask you this. Did you test drive the car before you bought it? Did you not notice any of the issues while test driving it? You shouldnt be Blaming the manufacturer for something you should have taken into account (as you say you have chronic neck pain) since you do have an issue.
Its like buying a size 8 shoe when you wear an 11 then turning around and complaining about the shoe manufacturer.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Racer

I sat in a new 328xi the other day the headrests are adjustable. Even in the most forward position they are not nearly as far forward as the stock TL headrests.

That's why I have 2007 TL headrests in my 4G TL, and I am now comfortable.
The following users liked this post:
mmartin110 (01-22-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
I actually love the headrest in the TL. I lean my seat back a bit so it's nice to actually have a headrest that is close to my head. This is the first car that I've had this experience with. I would've gotten serious whiplash if I was hit from behind in any of my previous cars.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
^That goes for me as well, 90% of all cars I have been in prior to the TL had headrests that were positioned too far away and the seats are generally very comfortable and well suited for my body type.

However unlike many here, I don't take that to mean the other manufacturers failed. We are all different shapes and sizes, it's my responsibility to find what works for me, especially if I have a pre-existing condition.

I'm sure Honda is taking all things into consideration and how to make it work for more people or everyone even but that still doesn't change how the vehicle's seats are countoured to me. There is an even simpler solution as was already covered, the headrests do reverse and were designed for that purpose, no big deal.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:28 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Its like buying a size 8 shoe when you wear an 11 then turning around and complaining about the shoe manufacturer.
LMAO, couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
There is an even simpler solution as was already covered, the headrests do reverse and were designed for that purpose, no big deal.

Please no one listen winstrolvtec. The headrests are definitely NOT reversable. NOT SAFE. The head rest is angled very far forward. if you turn it around it will be 40 degrees behind your head. You will have NO support and NO protection from whiplash. Your head would snap right off in an accident. Your insurance probably wouldn't even cover your injuries because you were such an idiot.

No, instead Acura should have given us an extra 5 degrees of room to move our heads or made the headreast adjustable like other luxury cars or VW. If it were adjustable everyone would be happy and there would be no issue. But oh ghosh, that might add $5 to the cost of the car!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Litt
Please no one listen winstrolvtec. The headrests are definitely NOT reversable. NOT SAFE. The head rest is angled very far forward. if you turn it around it will be 40 degrees behind your head. You will have NO support and NO protection from whiplash. Your head would snap right off in an accident. Your insurance probably wouldn't even cover your injuries because you were such an idiot.

No, instead Acura should have given us an extra 5 degrees of room to move our heads or made the headreast adjustable like other luxury cars or VW. If it were adjustable everyone would be happy and there would be no issue. But oh ghosh, that might add $5 to the cost of the car!
You know, I'm not gonna say you're wrong but obviously those folks who can't stand the headrests, and therefore the car and brand, enough not to find an acceptable position in the name of safety, don't actually give enough of a crap about it.

If some people consider the position to be so far forward, either by design, becuase of their shape or because of the way they position the seat and head rests, I'm sure that there are also that many folks whose head would actually still receive a benefit from reversing the headrest from whiplash and also be comfortable at the same time and for any or all of those same reasons. Again, we all vary in numerous ways when it comes to the discussion.

Let me better put that into context. I'm talking about the extreme of situations, where it is almost all in the name of comfort because if it was all in the name of safety, nobody would or should complain about the headrests. It's a big part of why the car has been one of the safest available year in and out.

It's an all or nothing scenario when it comes to the headrests and potentially reversing them. Bad design in the name of compromise? Sure, probably but it sounds like there are some who are also not in a position to compromise on comfort and the standard design doesn't change the fact that the car is not comfortable for someone. Some people don't want their safety compromised, 5 degrees and adjustability might just do that, others don't want their comfort compromised, that's why we have choices. To use your words, only an idiot would buy what doesn't suite them, in a similar way.

Reverse your head restriants in the name of comfort or don't in the name of safety. That's up to the individual, proceed at your own risk, which I thought went without saying here but you can't give people too much credit, now can you?

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 01-10-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 PM
3rd Gear

Headrest

I don't understand why the head restraint does not pivot or adjust. This way the Gov will be happy and so will customers. They let you recline your seat low enough that your head will be cut off by seat belt. This is allot less of a risk.. Maybe all clicks forward if I get hit in rear it will come forward automatically, hey thats the ticket..
Old 01-22-2013, 11:57 PM
3rd Gear

So the old head restraint line up with new 4gen TL? 2010? I have greystone leather and looks like that color was available in previous gen..
Old 04-13-2013, 09:48 AM
1st Gear

I cannot get comfortable in this seat. Safety does not equal comfort. A test drive will never equate to a real daily driving experience.
Hopefully someone will design a solution here but this will be my last Acura...my short torso and long legs cannot not handle this design with any degree of satisfaction. I can get comfortable WITHOUT the headrest so it is the primary focal point of my complaint. Just bought the car and the dealer has no solution.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by badgerboy
Bringing this post back from the dead! .... Wondering which model years of the MDX headrests would fit a 2012 Acura TL-SHAWD?
Old 04-18-2019, 09:37 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by scrapface
Bringing this post back from the dead! .... Wondering which model years of the MDX headrests would fit a 2012 Acura TL-SHAWD?
I'm searching for a solution too. I hate the headrests. My brother has a Ford Escape 2015 and his headrests are so comfortable.
One thing I know is that the 2013 RDX headrests (which my wife has) will not fit the 2013 TL. The bars are closer together.
Hope that helps a little bit.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:33 PM
Cruisin'

Fixed my headrest!

Originally Posted by btomcik
I just wish it could rotate back. I seriously have thought about just taking them off completely, but I'm afraid of whiplash should I get rear ended in an accident.
Took my headrest to an industrial metal fabricator and they bent that bitсh back a few degrees, now my head still rests comfortably on the rest and my head isn’t res TS on it not jammed forward like a hunch back. Best part they didn’t charge me, they just threw it under a 2000 lb press. There's no rest of whiplash after the fix head consistently loop Had to call a few metal machinery shops before they referred me to the right one.

Last edited by Acurater; 09-06-2019 at 09:36 PM.