Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flattened Cam Lobe

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Flattened Cam Lobe

Well I started a thread a few weeks ago, but no one responded https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...ration-935705/

Here is what was discovered. One of the lobes on the cam was completely flat! We took it into an Acura Dealer and they discovered that one lobe was completely gone! They replaced the cam shaft, rockers (on the effected cylinder, seals and of course the valve cover gasket. Good news that all was covered under the Drive Train Warranty.

I just wanted to put the word out just in case anyone else may have a tapping sound coming from their engine. Get it checked before the warranty expires.
The following users liked this post:
Reorge (09-23-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 03:15 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
That is really bizarre, for Honda quality at least. Did the dealership send that camshaft back to Honda for further investigation? Sometimes they can trace the origin to the batch that came out of that factory (or supplier) at the same time and find the rest and recall them proactively. Honda is an engine company. If they messed that up then that is pretty disappointing.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tonyware
That is really bizarre, for Honda quality at least. Did the dealership send that camshaft back to Honda for further investigation? Sometimes they can trace the origin to the batch that came out of that factory (or supplier) at the same time and find the rest and recall them proactively. Honda is an engine company. If they messed that up then that is pretty disappointing.
They agreed that it was very strange, but didn't elaborate if they where going to do any investigation. We were visiting our daughter in McKinney, Tx, and really needed the car fixed ASAP. We were just so thankful that it was done over a period of 2-days.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:43 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
So the flattened cam lobe caused your symptoms but what exactly was making the sound? Could there have been any further damage to the engine?
Old 09-22-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
good shit calling in your other thread. Sounds like you have basic understandings of an engine!

very odd, indeed.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:35 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ABDomega
So the flattened cam lobe caused your symptoms but what exactly was making the sound? Could there have been any further damage to the engine?
Sorry for taking so long getting back. I believe that the sound was actually coming from the rocker arm not operating. If the cam lobe is flat the rocker arm, which is in constant contact with the cam lobe will not open and close the valve, which is spring loaded.
They replace both rocker arms, for that cylinder. It was extremely unlikely that any other part of the engine was damaged. I hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:12 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
I think what ABDomega is implying is that if the spark plug and the injector kept working without the valves moving then it may have caused serious problems in that cylinder. I hope at least the valves (intake and exhaust) were opening and closing just a little and were not completely shut closed!

It may be a good idea to pull that sparkplug and inspect it, unless the dealer also changed that to a new one too?

Also I wonder if the computer was smart enough to adjust that entire cylinder bank to compensate for the air flow problem.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tonyware
I think what ABDomega is implying is that if the spark plug and the injector kept working without the valves moving then it may have caused serious problems in that cylinder. I hope at least the valves (intake and exhaust) were opening and closing just a little and were not completely shut closed!

It may be a good idea to pull that sparkplug and inspect it, unless the dealer also changed that to a new one too?

Also I wonder if the computer was smart enough to adjust that entire cylinder bank to compensate for the air flow problem.
I didn't see the cam nor talk to the mechanic, I was having some other more pressing issues. All I wanted was to get the car fixed and get out of town, literally.

Good idea to pull the plug. I won't be able to check it for a couple of weeks, at the tail end of a move.