Sponsored by: DashLynx

Contemplating a return to Acura

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:18 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Contemplating a return to Acura

Hey guys,

It has been a long time since my last post. In June of 2015, I traded my 2009 4G Acura TL SHAWD for a 2015 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport which I am currently leasing. My lease is up next year and I'm seriously thinking about returning to Acura & purchasing maybe a 2014 TL with the advance package. I really miss the way the car drives and handles. Don't get me wrong, the GS is a fine vehicle, but I'm not feeling the same driver engagement as I did with my TL. My wife and I also expecting our first child, so I need to buckle down and keep something for the long term, as opposed to leasing a new vehicle every 3 years. We'll see if I'm singing the same tune in a year.

Last edited by diddy_nyc; 02-26-2017 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:14 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Congratz and Good Luck with your decision
Old 02-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
If I was driving the GS, I wouldnt say hi to the one came to me. but when I was driving my TL, I am always happy when I see a TL came to me. I always say hi to the driver.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lltfly
If I was driving the GS, I wouldnt say hi to the one came to me. but when I was driving my TL, I am always happy when I see a TL came to me. I always say hi to the driver.
Yes. I was the same way when I had the TL....simple admiration of seeing other driver in the same vehicle as yours.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by diddy_nyc
Yes. I was the same way when I had the TL....simple admiration of seeing other driver in the same vehicle as yours.
You should get the 4G. amazing beast. since Acura no more offers this kind of machine with appealing characteristic instead of something called TLX
Old 02-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Hey guys,

It has been a long time since my last post. In June of 2015, I traded my 2009 4G Acura TL SHAWD for a 2015 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport which I am currently leasing. My lease is up next year and I'm seriously thinking about returning to Acura & purchasing maybe a 2014 TL with the advance package. I really miss the way the car drives and handles. Don't get me wrong, the GS is a fine vehicle, but I'm not feeling the same driver engagement as I did with my TL. My wife and I also expecting our first child, so I need to buckle down and keep something for the long term, as opposed to leasing a new vehicle every 3 years. We'll see if I'm singing the same tune in a year.
13 or 14 TL Advance is a great option. They can be had for a great deal. The SH-AWD TL's can have an oil consumption issue so beware when looking to buy! As much as hate the new TLX gets, the SH-AWD is fantastic to drive. I'd honestly get into a TLX after my 4G TL or perhaps a Sport-Hybrid RLX.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:22 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Good luck in your search and more importantly best of luck on the upcoming birth of your first child...
Old 02-28-2017, 04:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TL all the way, good luck!
Old 03-01-2017, 10:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Really?
If I see other people driving a ride like mine I try to run them off the road, jump out of the car, break the drivers window, and then show them my Star Fleet Command Club Card.
Seriously, who has time to acknowledge another driver in a TL?
Is this what people do in "NYC?" I sincerely doubt it.
For cryin' out loud, the idea is to get from point A to point B.
Stop looking at other drivers and start watching the road,.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Really?
If I see other people driving a ride like mine I try to run them off the road, jump out of the car, break the drivers window, and then show them my Star Fleet Command Club Card.
Seriously, who has time to acknowledge another driver in a TL?
Is this what people do in "NYC?" I sincerely doubt it.
For cryin' out loud, the idea is to get from point A to point B.
Stop looking at other drivers and start watching the road,.
This is how NYC people thinking like what you said and thought. This is the way how NYC running without time to appreciate the life and what you have.
should keep eyes on the road when you drive in NYC. also need to keep honking people if they delay 0.1 sec when green light just came up. lover stays. hater stays away.
Luckily can drive around in some easy states with enjoyable way and acknowledge another driver in a lovely TL. 4G is rare, so I feel people driveing 4G may have some same taste
Old 03-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Racer

I meant admiration for the vehicle, not the driver. With that said, I am a car fanatic and when I see a vehicle on the road that I like, I stare it down and my eyebrows raise. If I'm really impressed, I even look through my side or rear view mirrors to see more. I don't think this has anything to do with me being from NY....just into cars.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

I am not a fan of the design direction Lexus is heading. I think the TL is and has always been a sexier looking car.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

I am not a fan of the design direction Lexus is heading. I think the TL is and has always been a sexier looking car.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by PR_TL
GS 350 F is very very good car. as you said, the exterior looks not very impressive and rememberable. I feel the rear end of GS is a little bit boring. also hate the exhaust design with square holes
Old 03-02-2017, 04:36 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by lltfly
This is how NYC people thinking like what you said and thought. This is the way how NYC running without time to appreciate the life and what you have.
should keep eyes on the road when you drive in NYC. also need to keep honking people if they delay 0.1 sec when green light just came up. lover stays. hater stays away.
Luckily can drive around in some easy states with enjoyable way and acknowledge another driver in a lovely TL. 4G is rare, so I feel people driveing 4G may have some same taste
No, no, no, the TL's (4G) not rare! Now, you can say that it was not as popular (not as many units built and sold) as the Honda Accord, nor the Toyota Camry, but that hardly makes it rare. Uncommon? Maybe.

I do, however, see them driving around my neighborhood. I stop them (only a joke) and give them a Starbuck's gift card. But, y'all do that too, right? :-D

All BS aside, I do like to see the 4G on the road - they made 1,000's of them, fortunately. I didn't really notice them, until I got one. My auto, SH-AWD (2014), is disappointing, when it comes to acceleration (it feels like an eight second car *to me*, to 60 miles per hour). However, it's a lot of fun to toss into corners and hit the gas. Kind of has my wife asking a lot of questions, when I'm accelerating into corner, and the rear-end does something akin to a rear-wheel drive car. "What's the back of your car doing?" "Why is it doing that?" "Magic", I say. lol

I wrote the above, and really don't have a point. But, I have to tell you, that extra running gear, and the way Acura has set it up, really makes the SH-AWD a pleasure to drive. For me, it leaves me shaking my head, when I read, from other people, that they don't need the SH-AWD, because they don't have weather that commands it. Well, I don't either. Hell, I live in Phoenix, and we don't get snow. I bought it strictly for the fun it adds to driving. That's it! Had I worried about traction, I would have bought a FWD car, and I'd get the best tires for snow, I could find. Can you tell that I'm a fan of Acura's SH-AWD? As far as Acura's other AWD vehicles, no comment. I have very little interest in them, to be honest.

Now, would I go from a GS F-Sport to a 4G TL Shawdy? I don't think so. But, if that's what you want to do, you're free to do that, and I support your freedom to do what you want. Let's hope you find a good one, if you choose to go with a newer 4G.

Done with my book. Phew!

Last edited by Beak14; 03-02-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
If you and wifey are expecting a child soon I would go with an RDX awd model or even an MDX SH-AWD. For a couple of reasons. Your gonna need trunk space which our 4g lacks of in that department. Having height advantage is great too so your not always straining your back putting the lil one in the Car seat. Just a thought I don't have kids of my own but I've paid my dues with babysitting lol
Old 03-03-2017, 08:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Soal Man
If you and wifey are expecting a child soon I would go with an RDX awd model or even an MDX SH-AWD. For a couple of reasons. Your gonna need trunk space which our 4g lacks of in that department. Having height advantage is great too so your not always straining your back putting the lil one in the Car seat. Just a thought I don't have kids of my own but I've paid my dues with babysitting lol
Thanks for that Soal Man. I convinced my uncle to sell his 4G TL with SHAWD for a 2017 Lexus RX 350 F-Sport. Sadly to say this vehicle is on my list of vehicles I have under consideration. You bring up some really interesting points that I neglected to acknowledge. Cheers