Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Considering a 2012 SH-AWD Tech

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 11:06 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Considering a 2012 SH-AWD Tech

Local lot has a very clean one with under 30k miles. I drove it and liked it very much.
My question is regarding the transmission issues and oil consumption.
How prevalent are these two issues in these cars? Is it pretty much a given that with time I will get oil burning, or are only some engines affected? The same question regarding the automatic transmission. What is the percentage of affected cars? The drive train warranty is good for another 4 years on this car. Do the dealers take care of the transmission issues no questions asked, or is it a struggle? TIA.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I just bought my 2012 TL AWD Tech a few weeks ago and I would say to go for the car as you will not be dissapointed. I cant speak to the oil burn issue as I have not owned mine long enough to make any real assessment.

But as for the warranty question, in my experience so far it all depends on the dealer. My old dealer in Annapolis gave me a very hard time about replacing the prop shaft and told me that they had never heard of that before on these cars. I knew it was clearly an issue since I had read all the posts on this site about it. i went to my now local dealer in Ellicott City and they said it was the prop shaft and replaced it under the powertrain warranty in under an hour with no charge to me.

I would say to call or read reviews on the service departments for a few dealers in your area and see what people have to say about their experiences. Remember, you're only going to get the people who were super happy or super pissed off writing reviews, so take them with a grain of salt, but it should give you an idea!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
We just bought out the wife's '12 SH AWD Tech TL out of lease. It has 27k miles on it. So far, zero oil burn. The transmission had a funny feel at the 1-2 and 2-3 shift points, and I was fearing it was the torque converter issue, but the dealer suggested doing the normal 30k ATF drain/fill first, and the tranny shifts like new after just that fluid refresh (along with transfer case gear lube change). They claim that they've seen very few torque converter true issues they had to resolve, and most are solved with 1 or 2 fluid drain/fills.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these. We just did largely because of how it still ran (like new), plus I knew the maintenance. Buying used make sure you drive it thoroughly to make sure it doesn't have any existing faults, and make sure the fluid changes have been done (including rear diff change).

Good luck - andy
Old 10-02-2015, 07:42 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
exchange experience

Originally Posted by andysinnh
We just bought out the wife's '12 SH AWD Tech TL out of lease. It has 27k miles on it. So far, zero oil burn. The transmission had a funny feel at the 1-2 and 2-3 shift points, and I was fearing it was the torque converter issue, but the dealer suggested doing the normal 30k ATF drain/fill first, and the tranny shifts like new after just that fluid refresh (along with transfer case gear lube change). They claim that they've seen very few torque converter true issues they had to resolve, and most are solved with 1 or 2 fluid drain/fills.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these. We just did largely because of how it still ran (like new), plus I knew the maintenance. Buying used make sure you drive it thoroughly to make sure it doesn't have any existing faults, and make sure the fluid changes have been done (including rear diff change).

Good luck - andy
Hi,
I noticed you are from Merrimack NH. I am living at Manchester. But now move to Hooksett.
I really want to talk to 4G TL owner and exchange the experence. I just bought 2012 TL on this May.
You know, the 4G TL at NH is rare on the road. If possible we can talk about TC and rear suspension a little bit.
lltfly@hotmail.com is my personal email. hope to hear from you.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
No problems with mine. Oil burning: Sometimes will burn 1/2 quart every 5-6k miles. Sometimes it doesn't burn any. Weird. Love the car.

If you buy, change the inline trans filter. They get clogged (dealer part only).