4G TL Screech On Cold Start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 03:46 PM
Queen of SH-AWD

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
Exclamation 4G TL Screech On Cold Start?

Hey Everyone, I recently ran into two issues on my 2010 4G TL SH-AWD.

1. I live in Chicago and recently it has gotten pretty cold.
Whenever I start her up in the morning and it's cold I hear a loud screeching sound coming from the engine bay. This only happens when its 50 degrees and below. The sound lasts for a few seconds tops.

The TL is at Arlington Acura right now. I was given a nice 2015 RDX.

They called me yesterday and tried to replicate the noise with no luck.
I advised them to try it again this morning. I have yet to hear back.
Does anyone have any idea what it could be? It almost sounds like a belt screeching to me. The only thing I heard from them is problem #2 (below) may be causing the issue. I doubt that.

2. I dropped my TL off on Tuesday night to have the dealer replace a faulty TMPS stem on one of the wheels. I also had them try to diagnose problem #1 while it was in. They checked the engine and only seemed to find that the car guzzled a quart of oil in under 1000k miles. What could be causing the car to burn the oil like that? Am I looking at a huge fight with Acura corporate?

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated

By the way, the car is under the AcuraCare extended warranty and it was bought CPO. Thanks everyone!
The following users liked this post:
KayEffSee (12-14-2020)
Old 10-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My 09 TL FWD has always made that sound when starting under 40 degrees. I should have had it looked at but just never got to it. I have been meaning to record and post it. Maybe I will now that someone else has a similar problem.
gemz_acura (10-31-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Maybe this?

Originally Posted by SlyAccord
For anyone else that may be in my case. Here is my email to my dealership with the 2 attachments.

Sir I have done more research. Please see the attached.

This forum thread talks about the 2012 TL having issues with a “gurgling” sound on startup.
ATF filter change for 2012 TL AWD - AcuraZine Community
One person stated "When it goes bad ,it makes an annoying gurgling sound...
I had it replaced under warranty….”

Another person said "Arek, when i first start up my car in the morning (first start when cold), then put it into reverse, it will make this gurgle like water or air bubbles flowing. It does it for about 15 secs then goes away. It will not do it the rest of the day...im in sales, so im starting and stopping my car 10-15 times a day. Is that when you heard that gurgle you are talking about? If so, did it do it after the first cold start?”

A response to this someone said "External transmission fluid filter!!!

That was my exact problem. See my thread below were some other members were nice enough to help me out seeing how dealerships have been having a hard problem diagnosing this issue. There is also a sound cloud clip of the noise.”

Now here is a completely different thread about the same issue. All the people posting have a 2012 TL
Need help identifying a noise - AcuraZine Community

Ironically, one poster said this "The dealership has already replaced the alternator belt and the belt tensioner adjuster, also the propeller shaft but that was bc another problem.”

A completely different thread:
Weirdest sound I've heard from a car - AcuraZine Community

Different posters have posted similar sound clips:
https://soundcloud.com/kcarr91/car-noise (particularly low, need to really listen)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ag7k8ffgpr...rd%20Sound.mp3

Here is even a different person with a youtube video, again a 2012 TL
ACURA TL Rattle noise when cold start... - YouTube

Finally one person said this "Good news... You don't have to live with this noise any longer. My 2012 TL SH-AWD made the same exact noise, every morning for the first few minutes after starting it up. And the colder the weather, the worse it was.

I took my car to the dealer a few days ago and they diagnosed it as a failed transmission filter. The transmission filter is external to the transmission, it's cylindrical in shape and apparently has a baffle inside of it that was broken, causing the noise. When they called me and told me this I was skeptical but they replaced it and the strange cold startup noise is 100% gone!"

This poster included his Pohanka Acura receipt to show the transmission filter that I was told by you all doesn’t exist. Please see attached.

Please also see attached diagram of where the transmission filter is.

Thanks
gemz_acura (10-31-2014)
Old 10-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Queen of SH-AWD

Question

Originally Posted by Takehold66
My 09 TL FWD has always made that sound when starting under 40 degrees. I should have had it looked at but just never got to it. I have been meaning to record and post it. Maybe I will now that someone else has a similar problem.
Thanks for your response
It's very weird. It only does it around the temp you describe.

Please record it if you have a chance. I will def show it to my service advisor to see if they have any clue what it may be. I'm thinking maybe the serpentine belt, tensioners, or timing belt. I just picked up my vehicle and they advised me to bring it back when it gets a bit colder and they will give it another listen.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Queen of SH-AWD

Question

Originally Posted by SlyAccord
Maybe this?
Thanks for the reply SlyAccord.

I gave the different audio clips and youtube video a listen.

It's def not that "gurgling" sound that others have encountered.

I am def baffled at the sound, as it goes away almost instantly.

It sounds almost like a belt just making a quick high-pitched screech.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:57 AM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by gemz_acura
Thanks for the reply SlyAccord.

I gave the different audio clips and youtube video a listen.

It's def not that "gurgling" sound that others have encountered.

I am def baffled at the sound, as it goes away almost instantly.

It sounds almost like a belt just making a quick high-pitched screech.
it might help if you post a clip of your sound. My soundcloud audio clip was linked above. From your description of the noise i feel like is exactly the same problem i had, an external transmission filter. But if you are saying your sound isnt like mine idk maybe give it another listen. my noise would only happen in a cold weather start after sitting for 8+ hours in the cold, it was a “gurgling” sound. I have a 2012 SH-AWD TL. Shot in the dark but maybe the belt tensioner adjuster needs replacing as that is prone to rusting.

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...-noise-904002/
gemz_acura (10-31-2014)
Old 10-31-2014, 11:09 AM
Queen of SH-AWD

Question

Originally Posted by kcarr91
it might help if you post a clip of your sound. My soundcloud audio clip was linked above. From your description of the noise i feel like is exactly the same problem i had, an external transmission filter. But if you are saying your sound isnt like mine idk maybe give it another listen. my noise would only happen in a cold weather start after sitting for 8+ hours in the cold, it was a “gurgling” sound. I have a 2012 SH-AWD TL. Shot in the dark but maybe the belt tensioner adjuster needs replacing as that is prone to rusting.

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...-noise-904002/
I gave your clip another listen at max volume, def not that gurgling sound. I have been trying to replicate the sound, with no luck. It's 35 degrees in Chicago and tried to replicate the sound this morning. The car has been sitting for over eight hours. I'm starting to think **maybe** it's related to the car burning the quart of oil and being short that quart. I will continue trying to replicate it and will post a audio clip if I can replicate the sound. Could the engine being short 1 quart cause a belt like screeching noise? I was def thinking maybe the belt tensioner. Is that a lot of work for the dealer to fix to rule out just in case?
Old 10-31-2014, 11:13 AM
Queen of SH-AWD

I wanted to update everyone since returning from the dealer yesterday.
The dealer could not pin point nor replicate the sound I described.
I will continue trying to replicate and record each start.

The oil burning problem was addressed by the dealer.
They are having me return in 1000 miles for an oil consumption test.
If it is a quart low again, the dealer advised he will replace the motor.
I'm not thrilled about the engine possibly needing to be replaced, but it's better in my opinion to have a new motor than have them rebuild it. Thanks everyone for your input and responses. I will keep everyone updated! For those in Chicago, stay warm! Enjoy the snow we're supposed to be getting. and happy halloween!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:41 PM
Racer

Mine is definitely not a gurgling sound. It is a high pitched screech/groan that happens when it is under 40 degrees or so and happens as soon as the car starts. It only lasts a second or two. Very strange but has been happening as long as I can remember. The car is perfect otherwise. I will try to post audio asap. If anyone else has this happening please post and if anyone finds a solution please let us know.
gemz_acura (11-02-2014)
Old 11-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Ive also notice this last winter, I thought i was the only one i was thinking maybe its too cold and because the screech just last a nano second i ignore it because the pattern of it screech is inconsistent and only seem to happen after it sits overnight from a very cold start. My hypothesis was maybe because of the temperature the push to start feature electric engagement struggled for that split second and made the starter struggled a little upon start up until the engine turned over. So its like it was screaming like a mouse screeech!!!(I can do this) trying to start then finally starts.

What about non techs ?...does this occur during the start up or owners without push to start?... chime in. I currently have 63K on mine hopefully there is an answer out there before powertrain run out.

Another hypothesis tell me this could be an electrical problem and im way out warranty for that coverage. other than that the car is bulletproof(knock on wood).
gemz_acura (11-02-2014)
Old 11-02-2014, 03:12 AM
Queen of SH-AWD

Question

Mine is definitely not a gurgling sound. It is a high pitched screech/groan that happens when it is under 40 degrees or so and happens as soon as the car starts. It only lasts a second or two. Very strange but has been happening as long as I can remember. The car is perfect otherwise. I will try to post audio asap. If anyone else has this happening please post and if anyone finds a solution please let us know.
Agreed. Mine is definitely not a gurgling sound either.
However, I know the issue attached with that sound.
I haven't had that issue.
Exactly, always 40 degrees and under that I hear it too.
It's so annoying, especially since I can't pin point it.
Please share the audio clip when you can, it would help a ton.
My SA has been with Acura for a VERY long time, so I'm sure he'll know what it is if he could hear it. If anyone else is experiencing this, please share any ideas or an audio clip. Hoping this isn't a wide spread issue for those who live places where it can get dangerously cold in the dead of winter.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:22 AM
Queen of SH-AWD

Question

Originally Posted by real_mckoy
Ive also notice this last winter, I thought i was the only one i was thinking maybe its too cold and because the screech just last a nano second i ignore it because the pattern of it screech is inconsistent and only seem to happen after it sits overnight from a very cold start. My hypothesis was maybe because of the temperature the push to start feature electric engagement struggled for that split second and made the starter struggled a little upon start up until the engine turned over. So its like it was screaming like a mouse screeech!!!(I can do this) trying to start then finally starts.

What about non techs ?...does this occur during the start up or owners without push to start?... chime in. I currently have 63K on mine hopefully there is an answer out there before powertrain run out.

Another hypothesis tell me this could be an electrical problem and im way out warranty for that coverage. other than that the car is bulletproof(knock on wood).

Yeah. I feel the same.
It always happens when 40 degrees below and sitting overnight.
It is as soon as you hit the button and the engine fires up.
It goes away as quick as it occurred. Baffled.
You brought up a great idea.
Please, non-tech owners please chime in and let us know if you encounter the same noise. It will help us rule stuff out.
Luckily, I bought the AcuraCare extended policy, so I'm covered.
However, I'm not thrilled about ever having to have the car taken apart. That's how you get pesky rattles and squeaks.
I'm hoping if we can pinpoint the issue, that not too much will have to be taken apart.

UPDATE:

I've tried replicating the issue for the past two-three days.
It is currently 3:18AM in Chicago, and it's 29 degrees.
I just went outside and fired her up. No screech.
I'm officially baffled. Maybe it DOES have to do with the 1 quart of oil that was burned. My SA topped her off a few days ago when it was in for service. I haven't been able to replicate the noise since, and it's been COLD here in Chicago. I'll take her to the dealer in 1000 miles and see if I lost another quart. If I can replicate the screech, I'm going to immediately check the dipstick. I'm starting to think maybe the loss of oil is related.

Is anyone that is experiencing the screech encountering burning or excess consumption of oil?

Please report back, I REALLY appreciate it.
I am BAFFLED. haha
Old 11-02-2014, 08:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If it's a gurgling sound then it's the auto trans filter. Had mine in the shop at acura three times till they finally listened to me and replaced it. Told them I read about it on this forum. The kept insisting on other fixes. Once they swallowed thief pride and listened,the put a new filter in and haven't had the problem since.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine does the same after sitting over night in this weather (45˚). I haven't taken it to the dealer yet as I know it will be a hassle to replicate. I think I'll wait till the cold weather officially sets in.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Racer

Went out at 7:00 this am to record the sound and it was 38 degrees. Of course there was NO screech!! First time ever! Car was out overnight. AMAZINGLY, the car was in the garage all day yesterday so I started it at 9 last night to put it in the driveway so it could get cold overnight. And OF COURSE it screeched IN the garage! Did not figure on that so I was not recording. Only thing I can think of was that I put the car in the garage friday afternoon and did not move it until sunday night so it was cold and was sitting for over 2 full days before a start. Maybe the fact that it only sat 10 hours had something to do with it. I will try again each day until I get the sound recorded then will post it. Go figure.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:09 AM
Queen of SH-AWD

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TL14
If it's a gurgling sound then it's the auto trans filter. Had mine in the shop at acura three times till they finally listened to me and replaced it. Told them I read about it on this forum. The kept insisting on other fixes. Once they swallowed thief pride and listened,the put a new filter in and haven't had the problem since.
It's definitely not the dreaded "gurgle".
If I ever encounter it, my SA will be told to replace the trans filter.
He's good friends with me and never tries to insist or sell me bs fixes.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:12 AM
Queen of SH-AWD

Red face

Originally Posted by Nabooly
Mine does the same after sitting over night in this weather (45˚). I haven't taken it to the dealer yet as I know it will be a hassle to replicate. I think I'll wait till the cold weather officially sets in.

Yeah, it's interesting.
Obviously, the cold def has some relation to the issue.
Please let us know once the horrid cold sets in and you hear the screech.
If you can, please record an audio clip.
I would be happy to share it with my SA. I'm sure he'll have some clue.
I know myself and other Azine members on this thread would REALLY appreciate it lol
Old 11-04-2014, 02:14 AM
Queen of SH-AWD

Question

Went out at 7:00 this am to record the sound and it was 38 degrees. Of course there was NO screech!! First time ever! Car was out overnight. AMAZINGLY, the car was in the garage all day yesterday so I started it at 9 last night to put it in the driveway so it could get cold overnight. And OF COURSE it screeched IN the garage! Did not figure on that so I was not recording. Only thing I can think of was that I put the car in the garage friday afternoon and did not move it until sunday night so it was cold and was sitting for over 2 full days before a start. Maybe the fact that it only sat 10 hours had something to do with it. I will try again each day until I get the sound recorded then will post it. Go figure.
It always happens when you aren't recording lol
I know the feeling!
It's been driving me crazy that it hasn't done it since my trip to the dealer.
I wish I could find a big drive in freezer haha
If it doesn't happen then, it won't happen again!
Thanks so much for your commitment to helping me, as well as other AZINE members at pinpointing the issue.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Racer

i must add that now my memory is a little more refreshed this mostly happend around the very cold temps when the dash said 15 degrees and lower
Old 11-04-2014, 06:52 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
I recently discovered that the timing belt tensioner pulley bearings have gone bad on mine and made a scratching noise. Needless to say a weekend wasted changing that pulley. I also use to have another scratching noise on the accessory belt pulley that was easy to change a year ago.

If you are still under warranty and obviously haven't done the timing belt change yet (at 100k miles or 160k km or something like that during an A14 maintenance minder code), don't expect the dealership to come forward with that and admit it. The amount of work involved to get to that pulley is crazy. Plus, they might as well change the belt while they are at it... thats a big job that makes $ for them.

So, how do you go about convincing the dealer to open the covers and take a look at the tensioner pulley knowing that if they delay the issue it will create a lot more revenue for them in the future? Hmmmm....
Old 11-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tonyware
I recently discovered that the timing belt tensioner pulley bearings have gone bad on mine and made a scratching noise. Needless to say a weekend wasted changing that pulley. I also use to have another scratching noise on the accessory belt pulley that was easy to change a year ago.

If you are still under warranty and obviously haven't done the timing belt change yet (at 100k miles or 160k km or something like that during an A14 maintenance minder code), don't expect the dealership to come forward with that and admit it. The amount of work involved to get to that pulley is crazy. Plus, they might as well change the belt while they are at it... thats a big job that makes $ for them.

So, how do you go about convincing the dealer to open the covers and take a look at the tensioner pulley knowing that if they delay the issue it will create a lot more revenue for them in the future? Hmmmm....
is that the time belt pulley going bad why i hear that screech at 10-15 degrees?..

so when i go in to the dealer what do i tell them the check?.. though i might not replicate the sound while at the dealer...

and which is it exactly the accessory pulley or is it the timing belt tensioner?...

Is this warranty covered problem that could be resolved. You said they wont mention it, is it because its happening at an early stage before the 100k service or if they call it out now the charge will not be as pricey as adding it in as a required service maintenance when doing your 100k service?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:42 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

If they grab a stethoscope and listen carefully, even if you don't hear the screech from 3-4 feet away, they will listen to the bearings noise up close. Then they can compare that noise they used the stethoscope to listen to with another TL. It takes skill, talent and experience to do stuff like that, hope your dealership has a total Acura geek tech who can pull rabbits out of a hat!

The accessory belt tensioner pulley is outside the covers on the right side of the engine, you can see it. The timing belt tensioner pulley is under the covers. See diagram:

It better be covered by the warranty. Your last sentence is what I was trying to say. Acura won't pay them too much for that warranty work. You will eventually pay them a lot to change the timing belt when time comes and eventually they'll find out the timing belt tensioner pulley has gone bad. So they won't bother debugging this now.

Sadly they aren't in the business of being "enthusiasts" like us here, but they are in the business of making money.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Racer

oh man is this a 4g thing or does the 3g have the problem what is the history behind it? as far as our tl generation?
Old 11-05-2014, 02:51 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

My 3G TL didn't have that problem, neither my 03 V6 Accord. Even though the part (14510-RCA-A01) has been around since 2003 and is installed on a number of J engines on all kinds of Honda and Acura cars. Perhaps just a small batch was shipped from the supplier defective (Koyo). Not everyone has that issue, or perhaps it appears on cars driven in cold climates.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Yeah, it's interesting.
Obviously, the cold def has some relation to the issue.
Please let us know once the horrid cold sets in and you hear the screech.
If you can, please record an audio clip.
I would be happy to share it with my SA. I'm sure he'll have some clue.
I know myself and other Azine members on this thread would REALLY appreciate it lol
Well I got into my car last night fully ready to take a video, only to find that my car had been broken into They stole my trusty iPod and a wallet full of 3 backup credit cards and my dad's business card.

Nonetheless, I was a little too preoccupied to take a video
Old 11-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Racer

[QUOTE=Nabooly;15228996]Well I got into my car last night fully ready to take a video, only to find that my car had been broken into They stole my trusty iPod and a wallet full of 3 backup credit cards and my dad's business card.

Nonetheless, I was a little too preoccupied to take a video [/QU

sorry to hear that your privacy has been violated, where is the damage to breach on the car if any i.e broken glass or damage door key slot damage. and where do you live? if you dont mid me asking. did you accidently leave the door unlocked?.. sometimes i think i hit the door handle button and did not come out the next day and the doors were not locked but again sorry for the theft violation.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Queen of SH-AWD

Wink

Well I got into my car last night fully ready to take a video, only to find that my car had been broken into They stole my trusty iPod and a wallet full of 3 backup credit cards and my dad's business card.

Nonetheless, I was a little too preoccupied to take a video
Shit man. I'm sorry.
People are desperate to violate someone's property.
Funny Story, some guy tried to break into my 4G TL.
He didn't get in as the cameras on my back porch allowed me to see him.
So, I did what any reasonable person would do.
I let my 85 pound German Shepherd out to "play".
He was her new chew toy.
35 stitches later, he learned not to break in cars.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Queen of SH-AWD

My German Shepherd.

Here's a pic of my German Shepherd to brighten your day lol!
Old 11-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Queen of SH-AWD

If they grab a stethoscope and listen carefully, even if you don't hear the screech from 3-4 feet away, they will listen to the bearings noise up close. Then they can compare that noise they used the stethoscope to listen to with another TL. It takes skill, talent and experience to do stuff like that, hope your dealership has a total Acura geek tech who can pull rabbits out of a hat!

The accessory belt tensioner pulley is outside the covers on the right side of the engine, you can see it. The timing belt tensioner pulley is under the covers. See diagram:

It better be covered by the warranty. Your last sentence is what I was trying to say. Acura won't pay them too much for that warranty work. You will eventually pay them a lot to change the timing belt when time comes and eventually they'll find out the timing belt tensioner pulley has gone bad. So they won't bother debugging this now.

Sadly they aren't in the business of being "enthusiasts" like us here, but they are in the business of making money.
The rabbit out of a hat made me crack up lol
My dad was a master ASE tech for over 20 years, he got good at stuff like that.
Too bad he retired and hasn't worked on the newer cars we have now.
I'm sure if he had experience on these newer vehicles, he could rectify the issue.

Acura has always treated me well warranty wise.
My SA is happy to replace it if I insist. I'm sure he'd have his senior tech check it out first. I think every dealer is different. I've owned three Acuras and built a relationship with dealer. I've done all my service there. I think if you only go to a dealer for recalls, they're not going to want to troubleshoot the issue.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:48 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

^ Thankfully around my neck of the woods I live in an Acura dealership repair/service tech nirvana

PS. It is true that your dad and his generation were much better trained and experienced than the current generation of techs. Technology was different, but the principles haven't changed.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=real_mckoy;15229197]

Nonetheless, I was a little too preoccupied to take a video [/QU

sorry to hear that your privacy has been violated, where is the damage to breach on the car if any i.e broken glass or damage door key slot damage. and where do you live? if you dont mid me asking. did you accidently leave the door unlocked?.. sometimes i think i hit the door handle button and did not come out the next day and the doors were not locked but again sorry for the theft violation.
Well I was sure that I locked the door. I thought maybe they had one of those lever things AAA uses to unlock doors (with the balloon). But then I thought about it and for sure my alarm would have went off because it was unlocked from the inside. I very well may have forgotten to lock it. No broken windows or damage (thank God!). I live in Toledo, Ohio, it was in my apartment parking lot. No cameras, but I called the property managers and they said they've had other reports of break ins.

Shit man. I'm sorry.
People are desperate to violate someone's property.
Funny Story, some guy tried to break into my 4G TL.
He didn't get in as the cameras on my back porch allowed me to see him.
So, I did what any reasonable person would do.
I let my 85 pound German Shepherd out to "play".
He was her new chew toy.
35 stitches later, he learned not to break in cars.

My German Shepherd.

Here's a pic of my German Shepherd to brighten your day lol!
Haha thanks, nice dog. I've got a phobia of dogs though lol
Old 11-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Racer

Finally got a cold morning and the screech happened again. Got it on video and it happens at exactly the 9 second mark. It has been much louder on really cold mornings so I will post another if we get a day in the 20's but for now you should get the idea. Listen to it loud and a maybe a few times right after button press but before the chimes. The chime gets it the way a bit but you should hear it. I used photobucket and am copying the URL - I hope it works but if not, maybe someone could tell me the best way to post this.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:07 AM
Racer

yep same sound i might need you to forward that video so i can use it as a reference at the dealer
Old 11-13-2014, 06:18 AM
Racer

ok let me know and also please let us know if they find out what it is and if there is a solution. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:37 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Takehold66... yours sounds like the starter gear is not retracting all the way on time, or maybe its not aligned properly and cold weather throws it off its spec alignment. But definitely that sounds like the starter. The other "sounds" described in this thread are totally different components.
gemz_acura (11-15-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Racer

Tonyware..Thanks for your help. That makes sense. Do you think it is worth taking it in for a look or will it be ok since it has been happening since I bought the car?
Old 11-13-2014, 07:36 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Yes but find a mechanic with enough talent and years of experience. Hope there is one or two at your local Acura dealership.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Queen of SH-AWD

I recently was able to replicate the sound this morning. I got it on video. Will post when I am home from the dealer.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:43 AM
Queen of SH-AWD

Lightbulb

Takehold66... yours sounds like the starter gear is not retracting all the way on time, or maybe its not aligned properly and cold weather throws it off its spec alignment. But definitely that sounds like the starter. The other "sounds" described in this thread are totally different components.
My dealer determined it is most likely the issue you described above.
He had three of his techs listen to my video from this AM.
He is having me drop it off on Tuesday evening to troubleshoot and repair.

I'm hoping for a NEW Acura starter. They're still avail according to OEM Acura parts. I will post the video shortly, sorry for the delay.

I'm glad I purchased the AcuraCare policy. The car just turned 50k and I've gone through a few TMPS sensors, weather stripping on the door, and now looks like a new starter. I can say I easily got my moneys worth.

But hey, at least I will be in a nice loaner while she's in the shop.

I'll update everyone when I know more Tuesday!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:11 AM
Queen of SH-AWD

Arrow

Hey Everyone!
I'm sorry for the delay in posting the video.
It was a crazy weekend!
You may also view the video here. (Click)

If anyone has any ideas what this sound may be, please enlighten me.
I'm always open to ideas! Thank You

Quick Reply: 4G TL Screech On Cold Start?