4g owners - buy a 4g or a TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 03:54 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4g owners - buy a 4g or a TLX?

i need to get a new car. preferably within the next couple weeks. right now looking at a '13 TL and as of yesterday somewhat considering a 2.4 TLX. just curious what the 4g owners think of the TLX. have u guys driven one or own one or any plans to purchase one or consider it an "upgrade" over a 4g TL? mainly regarding roominess of interior,power,and the dct of the 2.4 TLX.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:06 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
personally, I will never buy TLX no matter v6 or i4. for me, entirely, TLX is an Accord, period.
a thing I feel disgusting is that the mirror in the TLX, it is like chorme finish or something looks like shinny medal. I am thinking how much stupid the product manager is. mirror itself is auto dimming. but the frame is stupid chome?. when I drove TLX in the evening, I felt the light from car behind directly project on my face. My wife said your face look like wearing a goggle.

TLX v6 does not drive that solid like 4G. and too soft. no double wishbone front suspension. wheel is narrow and tire also(225).
overall, it is an accord
Old 08-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
My next one will be a Certified pre-owned RLX sport hybrid. I am happy with my '10 TL tech AWD, but the RLX hybrid is more where i want to be.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I was in the same boat earlier this year. Ended up going with a '12 SH-AWD. Not saying the TLX isn't nice, but I much preferred the TL and saved some money as well.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:57 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by lltfly
personally, I will never buy TLX no matter v6 or i4. for me, entirely, TLX is an Accord, period.
a thing I feel disgusting is that the mirror in the TLX, it is like chorme finish or something looks like shinny medal. I am thinking how much stupid the product manager is. mirror itself is auto dimming. but the frame is stupid chome?. when I drove TLX in the evening, I felt the light from car behind directly project on my face. My wife said your face look like wearing a goggle.

TLX v6 does not drive that solid like 4G. and too soft. no double wishbone front suspension. wheel is narrow and tire also(225).
overall, it is an accord
It's not chrome around the edge of the mirror, just etched/finished off glass. In the TLX, the tech and advance have a frameless rearview mirorr. Many automakers (Acura, Audi, Volvo are just a few) are going to frameless rearview mirrors because it looks cleaner. I'm not sure why you had an issue with reflection?? That's strange, my TLX has never given me this issue. Overall, it is not an Accord.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:59 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by robster80
i need to get a new car. preferably within the next couple weeks. right now looking at a '13 TL and as of yesterday somewhat considering a 2.4 TLX. just curious what the 4g owners think of the TLX. have u guys driven one or own one or any plans to purchase one or consider it an "upgrade" over a 4g TL? mainly regarding roominess of interior,power,and the dct of the 2.4 TLX.

I will be brief.....not many 4G owners on this forum are "upgrading" to the TLX, that should tell you something....just drive the two back to back and form your own opinion.....major downsides compared to the 4G: Worse driving dynamics, cost cutting everywhere in the interiors, seats, etc... furthermore, you would be considering a 4 banger TLX instead of a TL......not even a comparison...

Old 08-22-2016, 06:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mickman
I was in the same boat earlier this year. Ended up going with a '12 SH-AWD. Not saying the TLX isn't nice, but I much preferred the TL and saved some money as well.
did u drive the TLX? what about it made u decide on the 4g?
Old 08-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by atl7
It's not chrome around the edge of the mirror, just etched/finished off glass. In the TLX, the tech and advance have a frameless rearview mirorr. Many automakers (Acura, Audi, Volvo are just a few) are going to frameless rearview mirrors because it looks cleaner. I'm not sure why you had an issue with reflection?? That's strange, my TLX has never given me this issue. Overall, it is not an Accord.

no offense to any TLX owner, that was my personal opinion and feeling.
I drove 3 times TLX loaner car v6 and i4 both for almost 6 days separately. that mirror really bothered me. I did not know it is tech or advance package. but the loaner I drove all have navi. so it may be tech.
the mirror does not look luxury by natural. it is made up to be like luxury finish. the reflection was on my face in the evening.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:36 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
The TLX was an "acquired taste" for me. I've driven a couple i4 TLX's for about 4 days total, and a handful of V6 TLX's for about 3-4 weeks total (My ILX was a lemon). Like many others, I didn't like the TLX at first, but after a week or so, I did come to really like the TLX for what it is. I personally don't think that the TLX or TL is better than the other, per se, but I think that the TL is "easier" to like from day 1. That being said, my next car will likely be a Lexus, because of the way Acura corporate has been dragging their feet with my lemon ILX, and the fact that they seem to have more issues with their newer cars than in the past.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Like someone said above... TLX is an accord with the A logo. I originally wen to Acura to test drive the TLX... then I drove a TL they had on the lot... night and day difference and which is why I purchase a 2014 TL. The TLX feels and looks cheap inside, and it does feel more narrow and top heavy through the corners. Overall, Acura took a few steps back with the TLX. I'll definitely skip this gen, and I just hope they get their acts straight with the next gen.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mickman
Originally Posted by raystl
Like someone said above... TLX is an accord with the A logo. I originally wen to Acura to test drive the TLX... then I drove a TL they had on the lot... night and day difference and which is why I purchase a 2014 TL. The TLX feels and looks cheap inside, and it does feel more narrow and top heavy through the corners. Overall, Acura took a few steps back with the TLX. I'll definitely skip this gen, and I just hope they get their acts straight with the next gen.
thanks for the info. ill likely go on and get the 4g TL. itd take me test drive after extended test drive to decide for sure on the TLX and it would a 4cyl due to the horrible tranny in the 6. and i need a car quick lol. ive always liked the 4g TL's ive driven
Old 08-22-2016, 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
After driving a couple loaner TLX's I found them to be okay but nothing much really impressed me about them over my TL other than how quiet they drove. The only way I'd ever consider a TLX is if they bring back the Type-S, even then it would depend on what enhancements they made.

My experience is that the TLX is more like the old TSX than the old TL.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by raystl
I agree you said night and day difference. If Acura can spend more time on TLX not just put TLX case right on the top of 9 gen accord platform, world is getting better. Jewry headlight costs too much maybe. no more budget on other parts
Old 08-22-2016, 02:55 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
i see a lot of hate here towards the TLX.

i came from a 4G TL SH-AWD and upgraded to a TLX SH-AWD and honestly i have no complaints. SH-AWD feels the same. Interior finishing is fine and the seats are very comfortable. Oh yeah one more thing no transmission problems. People need to stop reading reviews and go test drive one.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:04 PM
Banned

I agree you said night and day difference. If Acura can spend more time on TLX not just put TLX case right on the top of 9 gen accord platform, world is getting better. Jewry headlight costs too much maybe. no more budget on other parts
What is "interesting" is that if you go on the TLX section, owners really delude themselves they drive a real premium sport sedan somehow capable to compete with the 3 Series, ATS, Lexus IS, Infiniti Q50....I get a kick from time to time in trying to bring them back into reality. Unfortunately the TLX is nothing more than a very good mainstream midsize sedan....definitely an upgrade compared to a Camry and a little bit in terms of fit and finish over the Accord (which does not have AWD available) but nowadays you can get an Ford Fusion Sport which blows the TLX out of the water in term of performance, tech and handling for less money, a Chrysler 200 V6 can be had with more tech and amenities than the TLX, similar performance/handling (and available 19* wheel and 245 tires) with several thousands less especially now with the approaching end of production. And these cars are nicely finished not like the typical American car of the past. Acura is selling the TLX riding on the coattail of its reliability and quality reputation but it cashed its check in terms of value for the money.

Too bad the Mazda 6 engine and transmission combo is a dog otherwise that car is so much better than the TLX on every other aspects.

Not to mention the Hyundai Genesis, Chevrolet SS, Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger that represent an unbeatable value even compared to the real premium sport sedans.

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-22-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gokhanturk

i came from a 4G TL SH-AWD and upgraded to a TLX SH-AWD and honestly i have no complaints. SH-AWD feels the same. Interior finishing is fine and the seats are very comfortable. Oh yeah one more thing no transmission problems. People need to stop reading reviews and go test drive one.
You are one of the few probably.....is not a matter of "hate or love", just a matter of content.....Acura is stuck in the past and everybody else is moving forward. Exactly, even a brief road test reveal that the TLX is no TL...at all...I think every one here that took a pass on the TLX drove one.
Even a very senior (25 years experience with the brand) Acura salesman did confirm to me that the TLX is an easy sale to TSX owners but not to 4G owners....they are getting also some 3G owners that disliked the 4G design...
There is one former 4G owner on the TLX forum that said he cannot wait for its lease to expire and go to another brand...

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-22-2016 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wreak
After driving a couple loaner TLX's I found them to be okay but nothing much really impressed me about them over my TL other than how quiet they drove. The only way I'd ever consider a TLX is if they bring back the Type-S, even then it would depend on what enhancements they made.

My experience is that the TLX is more like the old TSX than the old TL.
Where you think you will go?? The Germans?? Lexus or Infiniti? The Americans??
Old 08-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by robster80
If I never had my TL, the TLX would 2.4 make a great value proposition when I want to stay around 30K. The TLX 2.4 is good at everything but doesn't excel at anything. Actually maybe it does excel in the MPG department.

But since I've only had my TL for 3.5 years and 45K miles, it's a hard sale for me to "upgrade" into a new TLX, even a V6 SHAWD. Part of the reason is because my current TL is still new and there is nothing wrong with it. I keep it clean and well maintained so it still looks like new. So to make the Acura works for me in terms of value, I'll try to keep it at least 6, 7 years and sell it for half the price I paid new. That's the Acura brand I know
Old 08-22-2016, 03:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by saturno_v
What is "interesting" is that if you go on the TLX section, owners really delude themselves they drive a real premium sport sedan somehow capable to compete with the 3 Series, ATS, Lexus IS, Infiniti Q50....I get a kick from time to time in trying to bring them back into reality. Unfortunately the TLX is nothing more than a very good mainstream midsize sedan....definitely an upgrade compared to a Camry and a little bit in terms of fit and finish over the Accord (which does not have AWD available) but nowadays you can get an Ford Fusion Sport which blows the TLX out of the water in term of performance, tech and handling for less money, a Chrysler 200 V6 can be had with more tech and amenities than the TLX, similar performance/handling (and available 19* wheel and 245 tires) with several thousands less especially now with the approaching end of production. And these cars are nicely finished not like the typical American car of the past. Acura is selling the TLX riding on the coattail of its reliability and quality reputation but it cashed its check in terms of value for the money.

Too bad the Mazda 6 engine and transmission combo is a dog otherwise that car is so much better than the TLX on every other aspects.

Not to mention the Hyundai Genesis, Chevrolet SS, Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger that represent an unbeatable value even compared to the real premium sport sedans.

Haha , you are interesting.
I like Honda engines. it is my favorite brand Acura/Honda. I just could not buy any of its new products. no money for NSX~~. Acura cut too much off in order to lower its brand value. Other brands expand product line. only Acura, only one brand is shrinking the product line, gorgeous. I really think of that is there maybe business spy or something lurking in Acura company? (Microsoft did for Nokia) . actually, wondering if Acura still has reliability as a last life-saving straw. Actually, TLX is good looking car, so I test drove and had loaner TLX a week to give myself an excuse to maybe get v6 shawd. but after driving it once and once again, I could not lie to myself it is an Accord needing premium gas. once again, it is my personal opinion to TLX not TLX owners.
yesterday, I test drove Mazda 6 touring(middle trim), the car is good, overall, inside out, the car is well built, the interior is luxury at this price range(25,000), I think 22,000 can get it. 6 speed is not bad. just if v6 would be better. also 19 inch wheel is standing out.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
If I never had my TL, the TLX would 2.4 make a great value proposition when I want to stay around 30K. The TLX 2.4 is good at everything but doesn't excel at anything. Actually maybe it does excel in the MPG department.
IMHO there are better choices in terms of value for the money at around 30K....unless, for some reason, you want to stick with the brand. Personally I decided I will never own a complex, performance oriented premium/luxury modern car full of tech out of warranty, no matter the brand, so when I buy (new but I would consider an off lease with few miles) I get the best extended bumper to bumper warranty I can find (for our Grand Cherokee SRT I got one for $1500, 100.000 miles coverage)...Japanese, American or German does not matter.

A 4G owner I know (the wife of my wife's co worker) got her car just a month before my 4G (in 2010) and last month did need 5 grand worth of repair (is not clear to me yet what went wrong) obviously out of warranty.

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-22-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:35 PM
Banned

Haha , you are interesting.
I like Honda engines. it is my favorite brand Acura/Honda. I just could not buy any of its new products. no money for NSX~~. Acura cut too much off in order to lower its brand value. Other brands expand product line. only Acura, only one brand is shrinking the product line, gorgeous. I really think of that is there maybe business spy or something lurking in Acura company? (Microsoft did for Nokia) . actually, wondering if Acura still has reliability as a last life-saving straw. Actually, TLX is good looking car, so I test drove and had loaner TLX a week to give myself an excuse to maybe get v6 shawd. but after driving it once and once again, I could not lie to myself it is an Accord needing premium gas. once again, it is my personal opinion to TLX not TLX owners.
yesterday, I test drove Mazda 6 touring(middle trim), the car is good, overall, inside out, the car is well built, the interior is luxury at this price range(25,000), I think 22,000 can get it. 6 speed is not bad. just if v6 would be better. also 19 inch wheel is standing out.
Yes, Acura is stuck in circa 2006 when the choice was, crappy built, "under teched", American cars or expensive German iron.....Lexus did not built very sport oriented sedans and Infiniti was just coming out....at that time the "just enough" strategy of a little bit more than an Accord for a little bit more money" made sense...not now.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:49 PM
Racer

Yes, Acura is stuck in circa 2006 when the choice was, crappy built, "under teched", American cars or expensive German iron.....Lexus did not built very sport oriented sedans and Infiniti was just coming out....at that time the "just enough" strategy of a little bit more than an Accord for a little bit more money" made sense...not now.
TLX is really built under this strategy. they are doing the good job on following the strategy. no any discrepancy. 4G, they built very solid, maybe they did not implement the strategy very strictly when building 4G.

Infiniti is doing well consistently. G37 and Q50 both well built. check out the suspension and mainframe, I can see the sincerity from Infiniti. If you check 2013 G37 front suspension, I was shocked, so thick and aluminum control arm. Q50 is also an upgrade. smoother and bigger.
Vq37 has been years and 7at. the reliability should not be bad.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:35 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Which is why I test drove both. I actually went in with the intent purchasing a TLX... if it wasn't for them having a TL on the lot, I was heading over to Lexus to compare with the TLX. Did my research, took my time and purchased the TL that I wanted. Not hating on the TLX, just stating my opinion and at the end of the day... the OP should go with what feels right to him.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:41 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Iv'e driven a TLX 4 cyl and 6 cyl (had them both as loaners). The six cylinder had serious tranny surgin issues to the point where i didn't feel safe driving it. The 4 cylinder was better.
I like the looks of the car but it really is nothing more than a slightly updated TSX. And just like the TSX couldnt touch the TL, neither can the TSX.
TL is in the major leagues, TSX is still playing in the minor league. Maybe one day they will get called up to the big leagues. Not there yet.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Where you think you will go?? The Germans?? Lexus or Infiniti? The Americans??
I'm on the fence, I'm considering leaving the luxury brands behind and going with a top tier model in a non-luxury brand. The non-luxury brands are making it very difficult to spend the extra cash on a badge. If I do stick with a luxury brand I will probably end up with a Q50S, but it's more likely I'll end up in a Nissan Maxima, Ford Fusion Sport, Mazda 6, something along those lines.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
I'm on the fence, I'm considering leaving the luxury brands behind and going with a top tier model in a non-luxury brand. The non-luxury brands are making it very difficult to spend the extra cash on a badge. If I do stick with a luxury brand I will probably end up with a Q50S, but it's more likely I'll end up in a Nissan Maxima, Ford Fusion Sport, Mazda 6, something along those lines.
I had a mid level Maxima for 60 days in all black as my rental during the airbag recall.
I highly recommend it. The tech is better than the 4G TL by a mile. Interior is VERY nice, even the non leather and it is very fast. Faster than any TLX and very close to being just as fast as my manual shift 4G TL.
The stereo is not as good and its not quite as nice an interior as the 4G(honestly what car is ?), but it is WAY nicer than any TLX.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:44 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts

I don't hate the TLX at all, I drove one a while back when we we're considering one. And while it is more refined than the 4G and rode smoother, IMO it has no "road presence" and blends in with everything else on the road. I really wanted to purchase our 4th Acura, but the nail in the coffin for us was the tranny shifting which was as terrible as most people here on the forum have described.

As someone else posted, maybe ( and it's a big maybe) if a TLX-S comes out, and the trans issues are a thing of the past I may look at it again. But for now, IMO the TLX is more of an upgrade from a TSX and not a 4G.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:23 AM
Instructor

The transmission issues was an early 2015 build matter. The one thing i hated from the start is that they offer 2 engine's. You see so many on the road now, and its really hard to tell other than the SH-AWD logo on the back and the rims apart from the 4cyl models. Where i never had that issue with my TL.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 AM
Instructor

To be honest, i test drove the q50 and i never liked it. It's over priced and you get a lot more features with the TLX than with the Q50.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I had a mid level Maxima for 60 days in all black as my rental during the airbag recall.
I highly recommend it. The tech is better than the 4G TL by a mile. Interior is VERY nice, even the non leather and it is very fast. Faster than any TLX and very close to being just as fast as my manual shift 4G TL.
The stereo is not as good and its not quite as nice an interior as the 4G(honestly what car is ?), but it is WAY nicer than any TLX.
You're not the first person to tell me this. I'm not totally sold on it's exterior styling (the interior is beautiful) and the CVT but I'm definitely going to keep my eye on them and probably test drive one when the time comes.

I do find a nice set of wheels and a bit of lowering makes a big difference:

Last edited by wreak; 08-23-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:59 AM
Racer

Personally, I love the exterior of previous gen Maxima, if it was not CVT, I was driving it. the vq35 is so good.
New Maxima is too big and long from my view. the first look on new maxima, it is so amazing. But after some period of time, I found the design of car, maybe front is too complicated. but, still, the only thing I can not accept is again CVT.
this trann restricts the Maxima, it could be better
Old 08-23-2016, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Two words for the maxima.... FWD and CVT.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Banned

To be honest, i test drove the q50 and i never liked it. It's over priced and you get a lot more features with the TLX than with the Q50.

You may not like it and it is fine, but you pay a bit more than the TLX because, layout wise, is simply a more sophisticated car...light alloy suspension with double wishbone up front, more luxurious interiors with better materials. More engine choices, more tech, more performance oriented options. Even in base form at 34K you get a turbocharged 2 liter engine with a lot more usable torque. It is a more upscale car and you pay for it.

Granted, I do not think any of these premium sport sedans (3 Series, C Class, A4, etc...) are the best value for the money as long as the Hyundai Genesis, Chevrolet SS, Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 are around. But neither the TLX with the Ford Fusion Sport, the Chrysler 200 (at the end of its run and can be had substantially discounted), etc....

I would be hard pressed to even consider the TLX 4 Cylinder a good value for the money when the excellent new Malibu Turbo is available, I was very impressed by that car, GM really did its homework.

Conversely, the 4G was fairly impressive for its price tag when it was introduced.

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-23-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Ok, how do you compare the Q50's awd system to the SH-AWD. Please don't come here and say its better.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Racer

You may not like it and it is fine, but you pay a bit more than the TLX because, layout wise, is simply a more sophisticated car...light alloy suspension with double wishbone up front, more luxurious interiors with better materials. More engine choices, more tech, more performance oriented options. Even in base form at 34K you get a turbocharged 2 liter engine with a lot more usable torque. It is a more upscale car and you pay for it.
What tech do you get in the Q50 that isn't available in the TLX? TLX has more standard features (moonroof, heated seats, memory driver seat, power lumbar, homelink, auto dim rearview mirror, split folding rear seats,etc). Only thing the base Q50 has over base TLX is the suspension, a little more torque, and maybe a few more cloth/soft touch materials on the inside. Q50 also has that lousy 7 speed, TLX has the 8spd DCT. You think the Q50 is a tier one luxury sedan, it's not, it's a direct competitor to the TLX because they're on the same level.
The following users liked this post:
1_SSMTL05 (08-25-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok, how do you compare the Q50's awd system to the SH-AWD. Please don't come here and say its better.
It's pretty widely known that Acura's SH-AWD trumps all other manufactures in it's class so I don't think anyone is going to try to make the case that the Q50 AWD system is a step above Acura's.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Two words for the maxima.... FWD and CVT.
Yeah and it still puts down better 1/4 mile and 0-60 times than the V6 TLX and it's almost identical in braking distance, the SH-AWD TLX does have the edge on the figure-eight though.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Instructor

i guarantee that cvt fwd boat does have not have a better 0-60 time than a sh-awd tlx.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:36 AM
Racer

Yeah and it still puts down better 1/4 mile and 0-60 times than the V6 TLX and it's almost identical in braking distance, the SH-AWD TLX does have the edge on the figure-eight though.
Where are you getting these numbers, I've found on multiple sites that 0-60 and 1/4 mile are identical between the two.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

i guarantee that cvt fwd boat does have not have a better 0-60 time than a sh-awd tlx.
Need you be reminded the 4G TL FWD was actually quicker to 100 than the SH-AWD model (automatics) MT is a different story. Numbers are from Motortrend, the numbers are damn close but the 2016 Maxmia SR edges out the TLX SH-AWD in both 0-60 and 1/4mile times.

Last edited by wreak; 08-23-2016 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: 4g owners - buy a 4g or a TLX?