4g owners - buy a 4g or a TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq

High performance sport sedan is an M5, CTS-V, E63S, and so on. Not an Acura TL. You lose credibility when you say things like this. I fully agree the 4GTL SHAWD 6MT is a very competent FWD sporty sedan.
I apologize if I did word it wrong (but I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant)...I meant to say a high performance sport sedan in its power class, and size, obviously I was not talking the big irons here....it could mingle with the best in the 300 hp neighborhood and some, including the Germans. The TL SH-AWD or the TLX SH-AWD are not FWD sedans, they are AWD sedans...based on a transverse mounted engine layout....the SH-AWD is not an on-demand AWD system.

This video with Tommy Kendall and Dario Franchitti taking a couple of Acura TL SH-AWD at the Nashville Superspeedway sealed the deal for me when I got my black 4G 6MT....I cannot believe is still such a sharp looking car after 7 years.....obviously is a promo video but listen carefully what cars were mentioned in first 30 seconds of the video....Lexus GS, BMW 5 Series, Audi A6....

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-24-2016 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:05 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by robster80
Haven't made a decision yet. For me it's really the 4cyl TLX vs the TL FWD. I don't want the oil consumption issues and really don't need the sh AWD. My folks have an MDX with sh AWD and unless I stomp it hard thro a corner I can't tell much of a difference. I'm sure the AWD can be a blast but I spent 7 years in a 3rd gen fwd tl and it was perfect for me. I doubt I even consider the v6 TLX due to pretty much everyones disdain for the transmission. I'll put in another test drive or two and see if the 4 banger is enough for me (I have a feeling it won't be), however I'm not the spirited driver I once was, tho I do like quick acceleration.
Hi, just a piece of information, if you do not like, you can ignore.
if you are at east coast, the paragon acura has a 2014 certified TL FWD, 2100 miles for 25000+ dollar, tech package. clean carfax lease return.
I found it on Monday night.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

High performance sport sedan is an M5, CTS-V, E63S, and so on. Not an Acura TL. You lose credibility when you say things like this. I fully agree the 4GTL SHAWD 6MT is a very competent FWD sporty sedan.

You should really take an extended test drive in the V6 and judge for yourself rather than avoid it altogether based on what you read here in 4G land.
That's just it half the issues it seems don't show up until there's a few hundred or so miles on it according to a lot of owners. also saying their car is constantly in the shop, no fix, doesn't shift quick enough when merging into traffic. I dunno. A test drive wouldn't hurt just to see I reckon
Old 08-24-2016, 02:44 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
That's just it half the issues it seems don't show up until there's a few hundred or so miles on it according to a lot of owners. also saying their car is constantly in the shop, no fix, doesn't shift quick enough when merging into traffic. I dunno. A test drive wouldn't hurt just to see I reckon
If I'm not mistaken there are TSB's on the tranny issues on the TLX V6 and I have experienced them myself when I had the car as a loaner. I love the look of the TLX, but TBH I was scared to drive it.
There's a lot of guys on the TLX forum that swear they don't have any issues, but the ones that do also swear they have been told there is no fix for the issue and they are stuck with a 40 grand lemon.
I personally wouldn't chance it but that's your call. TL has the airbag issue so that's a consideration as well.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:37 PM
Instructor

You should really take an extended test drive in the V6 and judge for yourself rather than avoid it altogether based on what you read here in 4G land.
Originally Posted by SilverJ
If I'm not mistaken there are TSB's on the tranny issues on the TLX V6 and I have experienced them myself when I had the car as a loaner. I love the look of the TLX, but TBH I was scared to drive it.
There's a lot of guys on the TLX forum that swear they don't have any issues, but the ones that do also swear they have been told there is no fix for the issue and they are stuck with a 40 grand lemon.
I personally wouldn't chance it but that's your call. TL has the airbag issue so that's a consideration as well.
The airbag issue is being resolved tho right? I understand u give them the vin# and they order the airbag?
Old 08-24-2016, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
How many 16 owners are complaining of tranny issues??

The ones that are SOL are the 15 owners that are getting the run around.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:22 PM
Drifting

The airbag issue is being resolved tho right? I understand u give them the vin# and they order the airbag?
It will be resolved when whatever dealer you use gets the part. It is suggested you be in a rental car until that happens. Check the Takata thread. Not everyone chooses the rental.
There is also the impending passenger side airbag that could be a recall as well, and down the road the side airbags.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:34 PM
Instructor

How many 16 owners are complaining of tranny issues??

The ones that are SOL are the 15 owners that are getting the run around.
It will be resolved when whatever dealer you use gets the part. It is suggested you be in a rental car until that happens. Check the Takata thread. Not everyone chooses the rental.
There is also the impending passenger side airbag that could be a recall as well, and down the road the side airbags.

Well @"&$! Perhaps I shouldn't consider the TL either then
Old 08-24-2016, 11:55 PM
Drifting

Well @"&$! Perhaps I shouldn't consider the TL either then
Well. There IS a reason the 4G TL's can be had for a good deal right now. The airbag thing is a very real issue.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:10 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by lltfly
Hi, just a piece of information, if you do not like, you can ignore.
if you are at east coast, the paragon acura has a 2014 certified TL FWD, 2100 miles for 25000+ dollar, tech package. clean carfax lease return.
I found it on Monday night.
Word of caution, if you're looking at a car at a Paragon dealership (Honda or Acura) be very careful. They are known in the NYC area to use questionable and sleazy sales tactics, especially when you go to pick up the car. Most times the deal you make with the sales person changes on delivery day when you go to finalize the paperwork.

First time I experienced them was back in 2001 when I was considering a new TL. My parents didn't listen to me and in 2004 my dad went to Paragon to purchase an Accord, worst experience he ever had and left. More recently (3 years ago) when I was looking for a CPO Accord for my middle son, I saw a couple of CPO Accords online that looked great and were priced right. So I had a brain lapse thinking maybe they have changed and we went to Paragon.

The mint condition, no accident cars they listed on their site clearly had bodywork done. Sloppy bodywork with clear sites of overspray on them in the wheel wells, in the door jambs and one even had overspray on the side windows.

When I asked the salesman how they can list cars as accident free with clean carfaxes he literally laughed and told me "what do you expect, all used cars have some type of damage when we get them so we re-spray them". I said that's fine but you guys are listing them as "clean accident free cars".. He shrugged his shoulders and walked away.
The following users liked this post:
ggesq (08-25-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^ agreed. many horror stories here on AZ about Paragon.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Well. There IS a reason the 4G TL's can be had for a good deal right now. The airbag thing is a very real issue.
If you find a TL at an Acura or Honda dealer, it MUST have had the airbag recall completed - there's a stop sale on any airbag-recalled Honda/Acura at their dealerships. I got my '12 TL airbag replaced in June, and the dealer has gotten a decent flow of those airbags. The tougher ones are the RDX's.....
Old 08-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by andysinnh
If you find a TL at an Acura or Honda dealer, it MUST have had the airbag recall completed - there's a stop sale on any airbag-recalled Honda/Acura at their dealerships. I got my '12 TL airbag replaced in June, and the dealer has gotten a decent flow of those airbags. The tougher ones are the RDX's.....
Hi, Andy
You already had airbag fixed? which dealer in NH? sunnyside or Prime?

I received a letter from them to inform me once the part arrives I will be informed again to fix.
But as of now, I havent receive another notification to have car brought in to fix.

Thanks
Old 08-25-2016, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Hi, Andy
You already had airbag fixed? which dealer in NH? sunnyside or Prime?

I received a letter from them to inform me once the part arrives I will be informed again to fix.
But as of now, I havent receive another notification to have car brought in to fix.

Thanks
Sunnyside in Nashua.

When I first heard of the recall in February I met with the service manager to understand their process, and to make sure that my name was on their "list". This was important since both my '15 RDX and my wife's '12 TL were both recalled. There is a particular order and process that they have to follow when fulfilling the airbags. The first category is to provide airbags to those customers who chose to get into rental cars, thus removing the added cost that Acura/Honda undertakes. The second category is to provide airbags to cars the dealer has on their lot that they want to sell. The third category is for those folks (like me) who choose to continue driving their cars even though the recall is out there. When the airbags arrive at the dealership, they're assigned a specific VIN, and the dealership is required to put the airbag inflator into the identified car. The only time an airbag can be put into any other car is if the identified VIN is no longer available to the dealer (like the car is no longer in their area, or the car was totalled, or some other reason the car isn't accessible). those unassigned airbags then get applied to the general list, which is today where those 3rd category cars are identified. To the best of my knowledge, the only 3rd category cars that have gotten airbags are those who got "unassigned" ones from category 1 or 2. Eventually, airbags will start hitting the third category cars with VINs assigned. Not sure when that in.

So for me, because I contacted the dealer directly so early, and I decided to keep driving the cars, mine were on the top of the 3rd category list. That was February. For my TL it took until June for me to get called, and for my RDX is was mid-August. They did inform me that I would get more rapid response if I decided to move into a rental car, although they couldn't guarantee the timeline. We chose to continue driving the car..

Hopefully this helps others to understand the process, at least as it was explained to me....

andy
Old 08-25-2016, 11:44 AM
Drifting

Andy is correct. IF you choose to drive the car, you will be last on the list in terms of getting the replacement part.
EVERY 4G TL is affected by the recall, so don't bother with submitting your VIN.
There's no guarantee your airbag will deploy badly if you get in an accident, you *could* be fine. Personally, I would not chance buying a TL without the fix, as the alternative is being maimed or killed
if it doesnt deploy correctly. Educate yourself on the recall and WHY the car is being recalled. This is not your average recall and Honda has already lost billions of dollars as a result.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by andysinnh
Sunnyside in Nashua.

When I first heard of the recall in February I met with the service manager to understand their process, and to make sure that my name was on their "list". This was important since both my '15 RDX and my wife's '12 TL were both recalled. There is a particular order and process that they have to follow when fulfilling the airbags. The first category is to provide airbags to those customers who chose to get into rental cars, thus removing the added cost that Acura/Honda undertakes. The second category is to provide airbags to cars the dealer has on their lot that they want to sell. The third category is for those folks (like me) who choose to continue driving their cars even though the recall is out there. When the airbags arrive at the dealership, they're assigned a specific VIN, and the dealership is required to put the airbag inflator into the identified car. The only time an airbag can be put into any other car is if the identified VIN is no longer available to the dealer (like the car is no longer in their area, or the car was totalled, or some other reason the car isn't accessible). those unassigned airbags then get applied to the general list, which is today where those 3rd category cars are identified. To the best of my knowledge, the only 3rd category cars that have gotten airbags are those who got "unassigned" ones from category 1 or 2. Eventually, airbags will start hitting the third category cars with VINs assigned. Not sure when that in.

So for me, because I contacted the dealer directly so early, and I decided to keep driving the cars, mine were on the top of the 3rd category list. That was February. For my TL it took until June for me to get called, and for my RDX is was mid-August. They did inform me that I would get more rapid response if I decided to move into a rental car, although they couldn't guarantee the timeline. We chose to continue driving the car..

Hopefully this helps others to understand the process, at least as it was explained to me....

andy

Well this sucks. So basically buy the TL if u don't mind NOT driving it and put up with a less-fun-to-drive rental for however long; or risk your life driving around in your TL for likely 4-6 months or so?
Old 08-25-2016, 03:36 PM
Drifting

Well this sucks. So basically buy the TL if u don't mind NOT driving it and put up with a less-fun-to-drive rental for however long; or risk your life driving around in your TL for likely 4-6 months or so?
Basically. I had a Maxima as my rental, so I was pretty happy. You can rent almost any car you want.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Basically. I had a Maxima as my rental, so I was pretty happy. You can rent almost any car you want.
if u choose a rental u don't have to leave your TL at the Acura dealer do u ?
Old 08-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Drifting

if u choose a rental u don't have to leave your TL at the Acura dealer do u ?
No you do not. You have to sign a waiver stating you will not drive your car at all though. If you do, you are on the hook for the car rental fees.
I have a TL and an MDX. My TL is really only driven by me, and I have passengers in my backseat every now and then, mostly kids. All other travelling is done in the MDX.
I will not let anyone sit in my passenger seat until the airbag is fixed there too. They have not officially recalled the car for that, but I would bet the farm
its the same faulty inflator in that side as in the driver side, so just a matter of time.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:48 PM
Racer

No you do not. You have to sign a waiver stating you will not drive your car at all though. If you do, you are on the hook for the car rental fees.
I have a TL and an MDX. My TL is really only driven by me, and I have passengers in my backseat every now and then, mostly kids. All other travelling is done in the MDX.
I will not let anyone sit in my passenger seat until the airbag is fixed there too. They have not officially recalled the car for that, but I would bet the farm
its the same faulty inflator in that side as in the driver side, so just a matter of time.
Hi, if you dont not need to leave the TL in the dealer's lot, who did you talk to for a rental car? I love driving my TL, but if I can get a Maxima for rental and not leaving the baby TL in dealer's lot, I would try Maxima
Old 08-25-2016, 04:49 PM
Instructor

the recall for now is the front passenger tho right?
Old 08-25-2016, 04:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Hi, if you dont not need to leave the TL in the dealer's lot, who did you talk to for a rental car? I love driving my TL, but if I can get a Maxima for rental and not leaving the baby TL in dealer's lot, I would try Maxima
Check the recall thread.

You'll need an authorization from your local Acura dealer for the rental.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:05 PM
Drifting

the recall for now is the front passenger tho right?
Recall now is for drivers side only.
You can have the work performed at any Acura dealer. Verify they use enterprise as their car rental company. After that, you should be able to choose
from multiple enterprise locations for a car you like. I was told by enterprise corporate that Acura owners should be able to get any car on the lot except the giant trucks like a suburban.
I got the Maxima but I lucked out as that is what they had when i called. I called around to 2 or 3 enterprises till I found something I liked. I really liked the Maxima a lot. Not as nice as my TL but not that far behind.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I have test drove both the 4cyl & V6 TLX, and like most of the 4G owners will say TLX does not feel like an upgrade.

There's only couple of things that TLX is better than TL, the jewel headlights and the Advanced package safety techs.

Goodluck!
Old 08-27-2016, 10:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 646 Likes on 348 Posts
I am hoping that Acura builds a car a bit bigger than the TLX and more the size of the 4G. I think the interior of the TLX is very Accordish just upgraded a tad to look premium but the feel for me isn't as nice as the 4G. The center stack of the 4G is Nice. The TLX is a bit too plain as I was a lover of the buttons. I think they need to make the next TLX bigger and to look nothing like what's on the road today. Let's see that the "Precision" design language is in a couple years. But I am completely happy with my 4G with no plans of a TLX purchase in the future
Old 08-27-2016, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GhostTL09
I am hoping that Acura builds a car a bit bigger than the TLX and more the size of the 4G. I think the interior of the TLX is very Accordish just upgraded a tad to look premium but the feel for me isn't as nice as the 4G. The center stack of the 4G is Nice. The TLX is a bit too plain as I was a lover of the buttons. I think they need to make the next TLX bigger and to look nothing like what's on the road today. Let's see that the "Precision" design language is in a couple years. But I am completely happy with my 4G with no plans of a TLX purchase in the future
yeah I've pretty much decided on a 4G. The whole airbag thing has me a little concerned tho. But anyways regarding the TLX yeah i like the interior of the 4g much better also
Old 08-27-2016, 11:16 AM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
Not sure why some people think that the TLX blends in with every other car on the road or looks too tame. I can pick out a TLX every time. No other car looks like it on the road. It is actually a very beautiful car. Too bad you can't see the exhaust tips but that is coming for the 2018 model hopefully like the 2017 MDX.
I would not buy it though just because it is not the successor to the TL.
If Acura was smart, they would make the ILX more upscale and sell it as the successor to the TSX and drop the i4 engine on the TLX and improve it in terms of luxury and performance so it can be the successor to the TL.
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (08-27-2016)
Old 08-27-2016, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LNJ
Not sure why some people think that the TLX blends in with every other car on the road or looks too tame. I can pick out a TLX every time. No other car looks like it on the road. It is actually a very beautiful car. Too bad you can't see the exhaust tips but that is coming for the 2018 model hopefully like the 2017 MDX.
I would not buy it though just because it is not the successor to the TL.
If Acura was smart, they would make the ILX more upscale and sell it as the successor to the TSX and drop the i4 engine on the TLX and improve it in terms of luxury and performance so it can be the successor to the TL.

i agree I love the way the TLX looks. Particularly in White. That's the one I test drove and was drooling over. Wish Acura would have just stuck to a 6speed transmission or something tho. If not for all those issues id probably get one. Is that a silver moon TL in your avatar? That's the color I'm looking to get in 4g
Old 08-27-2016, 11:46 AM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
i agree I love the way the TLX looks. Particularly in White. That's the one I test drove and was drooling over. Wish Acura would have just stuck to a 6speed transmission or something tho. If not for all those issues id probably get one. Is that a silver moon TL in your avatar? That's the color I'm looking to get in 4g
Yeah but it's called Silver Alabaster in Canada. Same paint code.
Not sure why they don't use the DCT 8spd from the i4 on the v6!
Old 08-27-2016, 01:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LNJ
Yeah but it's called Silver Alabaster in Canada. Same paint code.
Not sure why they don't use the DCT 8spd from the i4 on the v6!
Yep. Mine is Silver Moon. Even when it's filthy, doesn't look too bad