Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4g owners - buy a 4g or a TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by wreak
Need you be reminded the 4G TL FWD was actually quicker to 100 than the SH-AWD model (automatics) MT is a different story. Numbers are from Motortrend, the numbers are damn close but the 2016 Maxmia SR edges out the TLX SH-AWD in both 0-60 and 1/4mile times.
Motortrend tested the '16 Maxima SR and Platinum both at 6.5 sec 0-60 and the second time the SR hit 60 in 6.0 secs. TLX AWD they tested hit 60 in 5.9 and TLX also hit the quarter mile 1/10 second faster so I'm really not sure where you're seeing those numbers that the Maxima is quicker lol

Last edited by atl7; 08-23-2016 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
I had the i4 loaner with the tech package a while back. Great car for the money but I felt more at home with the 4G. I guess I grew attached to it. Sure it does not have the newer technology in the TLX and I can live without it. If you're coming from the 4G, you won't be impressed but if you're coming from the 3G or the TSX or just car shopping then you'll be overall happy with the TLX.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
lmao i've driven both cars and theres no way it is. Once you floor the FWD v6 off the line you get instant torque steer and tires start peeling out. With the sh-awd it takes off. You obviously don't know what you're talking about since you drive a FWD TL.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
Motortrend tested the '16 Maxima SR and Platinum both at 6.5 sec 0-60 and the second time the SR hit 60 in 6.0 secs. TLX AWD they tested hit 60 in 5.9 and TLX also hit the quarter mile 1/10 second faster so I'm really not sure where you're seeing those numbers that the Maxima is quicker lol
If slower than a CVT car, that would be disaster
Old 08-23-2016, 12:56 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Anyone bitching about the CVT in the Maxima has never driven it its much smoother than the jumpy trans in the TLX.
And it is every bit as fast. Do some googling, at best theres a tenth of a second separating the two.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverJ
Anyone bitching about the CVT in the Maxima has never driven it its much smoother than the jumpy trans in the TLX.
And it is every bit as fast. Do some googling, at best theres a tenth of a second separating the two.
I would never own one because of the driving experience, but I have nothing negative to say about the CVT. My 9spd is butter smooth in my '15 (after replacement, of course). The CVT is great for many cars, one aiming to be a sport sedan not so much. Really hope Acura puts a dual clutch in the V6 TLX at MMC or FMC.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 325 Likes on 214 Posts
Links? This is the first link I clicked from Motortrend and the numbers for the Maxima are listed as 5.7 0-60 and 14.2 1/4 mile.

Nissan Maxima: 2016 Motor Trend Car of the Year Contender

Old 08-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gokhanturk
lmao i've driven both cars and theres no way it is. Once you floor the FWD v6 off the line you get instant torque steer and tires start peeling out. With the sh-awd it takes off. You obviously don't know what you're talking about since you drive a FWD TL.
I obviously don't know what I'm talking about because I drive a FWD TL? Hilarious, and probably a good indication of how ignorant you are on the topic. Good for you that you've driven both cars, many of us have, but the numbers I'm referring to were actually measured on the FWD and SH-AWD TL's with something other than your ass. I'll side with the guys measuring the 0-60 and 1/4 miles with actual instruments thanks.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

gokhanturk just to build on my last post, things you may not even realise affect performance between the 3.7 sh-awd model and the 3.5 fwd model TL's (ZOMG 305hp vs 280hp is all that matters!...no it isn't):
  • Wheel size different between to the two models (SH-AWD is carrying more unsprung weight)
  • SH-AWD has more drivetrain loss due to the AWD system
  • SH-AWD has a higher curb weight due to more options and larger drivetrain
Don't take this as I'm saying that overall the SH-AWD model isn't as good as the FWD, in no way am I saying that. The FWD edges out the SH-AWD in only a couple categories and straight-line speed happens to be one of them.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Lmao you're an idiot... go enjoy shifting your virtual gears in the maxima. hope you don't like in a 4 season state cause if you do you're going to be slippin and sliding everything in that boat.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:56 PM
Instructor

0-60 5.4 secs
Old 08-23-2016, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Lmao you're an idiot... go enjoy shifting your virtual gears in the maxima. hope you don't like in a 4 season state cause if you do you're going to be slippin and sliding everything in that boat.
Pretty much the response I expected from someone who feels defeated, nothing useful, just an insult followed by a useless comment coming from a guy calling a 3545 lb Maxima a "boat" while he rides around in his 3899 lb TL.

I haven't already made the decision to move to a Maxima...far from it, my TL is in perfect shape with only 37k miles, it's also a secondary car so I'm in no rush to replace it at the present moment, but the Maxima will definitely be on the test drive list along with many others.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Racer

Links? This is the first link I clicked from Motortrend and the numbers for the Maxima are listed as 5.7 0-60 and 14.2 1/4 mile.

Nissan Maxima: 2016 Motor Trend Car of the Year Contender
Jeez Motortrend has too many test numbers lol. Here's the 6.0 sec run 2016 Nissan Maxima SR Review - Long-Term Update 4 - Motor Trend the review with the 6.5 is somewhere on their website too. Looks like the TLX and Maxima are neck and neck. The Maxima is a good car, if it weren't for the CVT and some material finishes here and there I'd consider one.

Anyways, OP, the biggest thing I've noticed is how much smoother my TLX is than my TL. I love my TL for different reasons, being its stiff suspension, sportier brakes, and overall it's just a sportier driving experience, I do have the SH-AWD so this makes a big difference. I love my TLX because of how smooth it rides. The car is significantly quieter and the smoother/floaty drive makes it the more comfortable car. I drive these cars everyday and sometimes back to back, I know the driving dynamics of these two very well. If you want something sportier- go for the TL, a smoother ride- go for the TLX. I will agree the interior materials in the TLX are a slight downgrade from the 4G TL, but the car still feels very nice and luxurious. One thing I've noticed is everyone who gets in my TLX says how nice of a car it is, I don't get that as much in my TL (not bashing the 4G at all, just something I've observed). Both are great cars though, you can't go wrong with either. They just appeal to different drivers.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
It's pretty widely known that Acura's SH-AWD trumps all other manufactures in it's class so I don't think anyone is going to try to make the case that the Q50 AWD system is a step above Acura's.

This....the TLX is not on par just because the SH-AWD...the SH-AWD is the only saving grace, too bad it does not allow the TLX to outshine (in test numbers) in handling midsize mainstream sedans with much simpler AWD system like the Chrysler 200
Old 08-23-2016, 02:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
The tires are a major drawback. I would love to see the TLX track tested by a car mag with a proper set of tires.

Many TLX owners that upgraded their tires have posted that it transformed the car once the craptastic stock tires were replaced.

Guys, one other thing. Let's ease up on the personal attacks. No need for it.

Last edited by ggesq; 08-23-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:54 PM
Banned

What tech do you get in the Q50 that isn't available in the TLX? TLX has more standard features (moonroof, heated seats, memory driver seat, power lumbar, homelink, auto dim rearview mirror, split folding rear seats,etc). Only thing the base Q50 has over base TLX is the suspension, a little more torque, and maybe a few more cloth/soft touch materials on the inside. Q50 also has that lousy 7 speed, TLX has the 8spd DCT. You think the Q50 is a tier one luxury sedan, it's not, it's a direct competitor to the TLX because they're on the same level.

In the Q50 you can get an electric adjustment for the steering wheel, interiors is definitely a step up (just look at the center console or the beautiful magnesium paddle shifters), it can almost drive by itself with DAS, 360 degrees cameras, adjustable suspension, a high resolution instrument cluster display not to mention high performance trims, real sport brakes, etc.....it does not matter if these things are standard or not, they are available on the Q50 (and even some mainstream midsize sedans nowadays) but not in the TLX....as much you try to delude yourself they are on the same level, they are not, content wise and performance wise the Q50 is definitely Tier 1 where the TLX is not....you simply lack objectivity.

You may pit the TLX against an entry/mid level Q50 just as you can with a BMW 320i/328i.

Put both cars on the rack and look underneath, look at the suspension.

The Q50 7 speed is "lousy"?? You measure a transmission only by its gear count?? No, is not as good as the fantastic longitudinal ZF 8 speed (the current benchmark for AT) but is definitely not "lousy".......fairly ironic comment especially coming from a TLX owner considering that model transmission problems.

As much as I dislike the new Mercedes C Class I have to admit that its interior are the segment benchmark

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-23-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ggesq
The tires are a major drawback. I would love to see the TLX track tested by a car mag with a proper set of tires.

Many TLX owners that upgraded their tires have posted that it transformed the car once the craptastic stock tires were replaced.

Guys, one other thing. Let's ease up on the personal attacks. No need for it.
yes, no attack on person.
talk about cars or attack cars
Old 08-23-2016, 02:58 PM
Banned

Jeez Motortrend has too many test numbers lol. Here's the 6.0 sec run 2016 Nissan Maxima SR Review - Long-Term Update 4 - Motor Trend the review with the 6.5 is somewhere on their website too. Looks like the TLX and Maxima are neck and neck. The Maxima is a good car, if it weren't for the CVT and some material finishes here and there I'd consider one.

Anyways, OP, the biggest thing I've noticed is how much smoother my TLX is than my TL. I love my TL for different reasons, being its stiff suspension, sportier brakes, and overall it's just a sportier driving experience, I do have the SH-AWD so this makes a big difference. I love my TLX because of how smooth it rides. The car is significantly quieter and the smoother/floaty drive makes it the more comfortable car. I drive these cars everyday and sometimes back to back, I know the driving dynamics of these two very well. If you want something sportier- go for the TL, a smoother ride- go for the TLX. I will agree the interior materials in the TLX are a slight downgrade from the 4G TL, but the car still feels very nice and luxurious. One thing I've noticed is everyone who gets in my TLX says how nice of a car it is, I don't get that as much in my TL (not bashing the 4G at all, just something I've observed). Both are great cars though, you can't go wrong with either. They just appeal to different drivers.
....hmmmm finally you are , maybe, starting to agree with me on the 4G TL-TLX comparo.....

I agree, for me the Maxima would be a non starter because of the CVT and because, frankly, the Chevrolet SS and Dodge Charger are around...however, the Maxima interiors are way better than the TLX....
Old 08-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Banned

Any car can improve with better tires...problem is the TLX cannot shake on the skidpad, lousy tires for lousy tires, quite few mainstream midsize sedans and some with less sporty intentions.

For example C&D tested the Chrysler 200 Sport with its stock 18" and lousy rubber but Chrysler offers a 19" wheel and all season performance 245 tires package which Acura does not.....yes, it's that kind of thrill....

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-23-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by saturno_v
In the Q50 you can get an electric adjustment for the steering wheel, interiors is definitely a step up (just look at the center console or the beautiful magnesium paddle shifters), it can almost drive by itself with DAS, 360 degrees cameras, adjustable suspension, a high resolution instrument cluster display not to mention high performance trims, real sport brakes, etc.....it does not matter if these things are standard or not, they are available on the Q50 (and even some mainstream midsize sedan nowadays) but not in the TLX....as much you try to delude yourself they are on the same level, not they are not, content wise and performance the Q50 is definitely Tier 1 where the TLX is not....you simply lack objectivity.

Put both cars on the rack and look underneath, look at the suspension.

The Q50 7 speed is "lousy"?? You measure a transmission only by its gear count?? No, is not as good as the fantastic transmission longitudinal ZF 8 speed (the current benchmark) but is definitely not "lousy".......fairly ironic comment especially coming from a TLX owner considering that model transmission problems.

As much as I dislike the new Mercedes C Class I have to admit that its interior are the segment benchmark

I agree you were saying put both cars on the rack and check out the underneath. I did check out the 2013 G37 and my 4G TL. I totally think Acura should be shamed. only one point can shame Acura on luxury brands from Japan that Acura does not have independent platform design, accord platform has been abused too much. rear bias, as my opinion, is the standard of luxury car. someone would say accord platform is good enough. but GS and q50 platform is splendid. now acura even took out double wishbone~~~~. what a shame.
Sh awd is the best on business, I really agree. but seems like TLX sh awd is not as same as 4g TL. something got cut off?
Old 08-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lltfly
I agree you were saying put both cars on the rack and check out the underneath. I did check out the 2013 G37 and my 4G TL. I totally think Acura should be shamed. only one point can shame Acura on luxury brands from Japan that Acura does not have independent platform design, accord platform has been abused too much. rear bias, as my opinion, is the standard of luxury car. someone would say accord platform is good enough. but GS and q50 platform is splendid. now acura even took out double wishbone~~~~. what a shame.
Sh awd is the best on business, I really agree. but seems like TLX sh awd is not as same as 4g TL. something got cut off?

Acura cut corners left and right from the 4G TL when they made the TLX...they gave the market what the market wanted...an inoffensive design which blends with other cars better, less polarizing than the 4G...and cashed the check....

P.S.

I always put a car on the rack when I'm seriously interested in buying one....
Old 08-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Racer

Acura cut corners left and right from the 4G TL when they made the TLX...they gave the market what the market wanted...an inoffensive design which blends with other cars better, less polarizing than the 4G...and cashed the check....

P.S.

I always put a car on the rack when I'm seriously interested in buying one....
I really love my 12 TL. It has 33k on it . I even want to find a 14 model with less miles to replace current. the design is so good, especially from rear, and side profile. you love one you hate more, so I have that much fury on TLX(car only) and Acura.
Actually I just found a 14 TL with tech, 2100 miles(you are not seeing wrong) for 25999 dollars. clean car fax, in NY acura dealer

or 2015 q50 will be next one, if I can get ride of my commute car lease.
How about your q50? any experience to share?
Old 08-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lltfly
I really love my 12 TL. It has 33k on it . I even want to find a 14 model with less miles to replace current. the design is so good, especially from rear, and side profile. you love one you hate more, so I have that much fury on TLX(car only) and Acura.
Actually I just found a 14 TL with tech, 2100 miles(you are not seeing wrong) for 25999 dollars. clean car fax, in NY acura dealer

or 2015 q50 will be next one, if I can get ride of my commute car lease.
How about your q50? any experience to share?

As other forum members already know, my Q50 Sport was not initially my car, it was my wife new ride (I had my 4G TL at that time), we cross shopped several cars (Lexus IS, GS, BMW 335i, etc..) and we did test drive the TLX...I spare you the comment of my wife on the TLX.....the final remark was "Is Acura serious??"

We liked the more luxurious interior of the Q50 compared to the BMW and we wanted a bit extra space in the back....the final contender was the GS 350 F-Sport but the unavailability of a specimen with the tech we wanted (adaptive cruise control) and the more livelier engine for the Q50 sealed the deal.

Few months later we decided to get a second dog so we did need an SUV and I traded my beloved 4G TL 6MT for a Grand Cherokee SRT.....

DAS initially was disorienting but I learned how to use it and I actually like it....furthermore I got the new software update on DAS few months ago (I think is the same used by the new Q50) which got things even better.
Initially the infotainment system was a bit slow but two software update later made things much better....it's just a hair slower to boot compared to our Grand Cherokee SRT UConnect.

So far I'm very satisfied, the car is very quick, fairly agile, beautiful engine noise...my only disappointment are the seats....we paid extra for the "Sport seats" but they are a far cry from the 4G TL.....conversely, the Grand Cherokee SRT seats are thrones, I like them even better than the 4G.

My personal suggestion when it will be time to get a new ride, unless AWD is a must, check the Chevrolet SS or the new Dodge Charger....these things are unreal for the money (couple of 4G owners I know, one on this forum, went for the Charger V8 and could not be happier)...very very impressed.....both of them are, in my opinion, the sport sedan "value proposition heirs" of the 4G TL punching well above their price tag.

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-23-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Any car can improve with better tires...problem is the TLX cannot shake on the skidpad, lousy tires for lousy tires, quite few mainstream midsize sedans and some with less sporty intentions.

For example C&D tested the Chrysler 200 Sport with its stock 18" and lousy rubber but Chrysler offers a 19" wheel and all season performance 245 tires package which Acura does not.....yes, it's that kind of thrill....
The C&D article on the 200S noted the car having Bridgestone Ecopia....crappy tire. The 200S pulled .80g on the skidpad with those crappy tires. "Upgrading to the 19-inch wheel brings Nexen rubber. The Nexens' lower profile likely would do nothing for the tire-thump and road roar that cheapen the driving experience."

2015 Chrysler 200S V-6 AWD Test ? Review ? Car and Driver

TLX does offer 19" wheels. However, I do not know the rubber that is put on them.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Banned

The C&D article on the 200S noted the car having Bridgestone Ecopia....crappy tire. The 200S pulled .80g on the skidpad with those crappy tires. "Upgrading to the 19-inch wheel brings Nexen rubber. The Nexens' lower profile likely would do nothing for the tire-thump and road roar that cheapen the driving experience."

2015 Chrysler 200S V-6 AWD Test ? Review ? Car and Driver
It would be interesting to have them tested...wider stickier tires are going to be more noisy, no matter what...

TLX does offer 19" wheels. However, I do not know the rubber that is put on them
Yes, just read it.....$3500 for 19" wheels ($795 on the Chrysler 200 which comes automatically with the 245 rubber) according to the configurator...not mention of different rubber so I assume the same 225.

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-23-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:20 PM
Racer

content wise and performance wise the Q50 is definitely Tier 1 where the TLX is not....you simply lack objectivity.

The Q50 7 speed is "lousy"?? You measure a transmission only by its gear count?? No, is not as good as the fantastic longitudinal ZF 8 speed (the current benchmark for AT) but is definitely not "lousy".......fairly ironic comment especially coming from a TLX owner considering that model transmission problems.

I lack objectivity?? No, you lack common sense. Ask anyone on here if the Q50 is in tier one category and come back with their answers. A4, C class, 3 series are at the top followed by the IS, ATS, S60, Q50, and yes, I know you hate to read it, but TLX. Being objective here (hopefully enough for you), what do you have to say about the use of hard plastics on the lower half of the Q50 doors and glove box, does that scream tier one? As for the transmission, when did I say I measure a transmission by its gear count? I mentioned the 8spd in the TLX is better because it's a dual clutch not because it has an extra gear. I have extensively driven my sister's '14 base Q50 and it constantly gear hunts and while smooth, is confused easily and slow to shift. Of course this is just my opinion, and yes I do have that infamous 9spd in my TLX but after replacement is worlds better now and shifts very quickly. Sure the Q50 looks nice on the inside with the maple wood when it's loaded up, but it takes $46k in the Q50 to do so, but that's still with RWD, base wheels (extra $1k for the upgrade), and none of the driver assistance features (extra $2k for that) that the FWD TLX Advance has for $43k. You say the much higher price tag in the Q50 is justified, but I don't see where any of that money is going. Sure, it has the wishbone suspension, but I have yet to read anywhere that an EQUALLY PRICED Q50 blows the TLX out of the water.

Last edited by atl7; 08-23-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by robster80
i need to get a new car. preferably within the next couple weeks. right now looking at a '13 TL and as of yesterday somewhat considering a 2.4 TLX. just curious what the 4g owners think of the TLX. have u guys driven one or own one or any plans to purchase one or consider it an "upgrade" over a 4g TL? mainly regarding roominess of interior,power,and the dct of the 2.4 TLX.
https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...-check-920231/
Old 08-23-2016, 07:03 PM
Drifting

So much hate on the CVT. Has anyone actually DRIVEN the Maxima ? I know I did, for two plus months. I found the CVT to be great. Super smooth, great gas mileage, and had plenty of get up and go. And this is coming from a manual AWD 4G owner.
The Maxima is as close to a coupe in feel and drive that I have driven personally. Nothing boat like about it at all.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:02 AM
Banned

I lack objectivity?? No, you lack common sense. Ask anyone on here if the Q50 is in tier one category and come back with their answers. A4, C class, 3 series are at the top followed by the IS, ATS, S60, Q50, and yes, I know you hate to read it, but TLX. Being objective here (hopefully enough for you), what do you have to say about the use of hard plastics on the lower half of the Q50 doors and glove box, does that scream tier one? As for the transmission, when did I say I measure a transmission by its gear count? I mentioned the 8spd in the TLX is better because it's a dual clutch not because it has an extra gear. I have extensively driven my sister's '14 base Q50 and it constantly gear hunts and while smooth, is confused easily and slow to shift. Of course this is just my opinion, and yes I do have that infamous 9spd in my TLX but after replacement is worlds better now and shifts very quickly. Sure the Q50 looks nice on the inside with the maple wood when it's loaded up, but it takes $46k in the Q50 to do so, but that's still with RWD, base wheels (extra $1k for the upgrade), and none of the driver assistance features (extra $2k for that) that the FWD TLX Advance has for $43k. You say the much higher price tag in the Q50 is justified, but I don't see where any of that money is going. Sure, it has the wishbone suspension, but I have yet to read anywhere that an EQUALLY PRICED Q50 blows the TLX out of the water.
I may lack "common sense" but what you surely lack is automotive knowledge and reading comprehension capabilities and it is clear from every sentence you write....so having hard plastic in some part of the cabin automatically disqualify from Tier 1 status?? Heck the Lincoln MKZ has soft plastic everywhere so it must be Tier 1 huh??
Sure Infiniti as brand is not considered Tier 1 (guess what, for some, including automotive "experts", not even Audi or Lexus are really Tier 1 with that label applied only to Mercedes, BMW and Jaguar) but ask anyone with a modicum of automotive culture and, like you said, common sense and he/she will tell you that the Q50 is clearly, content wise, superior to the TLX, a more premium automobile, no matter how much you try to spin it. Regardless of brand, anyone capable to fog a mirror will tell you that the Chevrolet SS is the more capable, focused and sophisticated sport sedan compared to a TLX, even if it happens to be branded Chevrolet......or that the Hyundai Genesis is the more upscale luxurious midsize sedan even if has a Hyundai logo in its trunk lid......or that the Mercedes CLA is in reality a crappy cheap econobox (including cheap hard plastic inside) with a lot of lipstick despite having the 3 pointed star on the hood.

Obviously at the same price tag you will not have the same equipment (by the way the same with the Germans or Lexus isn't it??) of a TLX because you pay for other stuff that the TLX does not have....like a more sophisticated layout. By the way even with the new lower powered turbo 4 cylinder, a base Q50 I bet is significantly faster than a base 4 banger TLX....it has over 40% more torque starting already at 1500 rpm....you do the math....by the way I never experienced gear hunting on my Q50, especially in Sport mode.

Last edited by saturno_v; 08-24-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:17 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
So much hate on the CVT. Has anyone actually DRIVEN the Maxima ? I know I did, for two plus months. I found the CVT to be great. Super smooth, great gas mileage, and had plenty of get up and go. And this is coming from a manual AWD 4G owner.
The Maxima is as close to a coupe in feel and drive that I have driven personally. Nothing boat like about it at all.
I had a 2016 Maxima as a rental for about 6 weeks when my 4G TL was waiting on the airbag part. I agree with you that the CVT in the Maxima is great!! It is really responsive especially in Sport mode. It is a very nice car and it did drive like 4 door sports sedan!!
Old 08-24-2016, 07:36 AM
Instructor

i just don't like the CVT it sounds like your car is just red lining when you punch it. Why can't they just give a traditional transmission with AWD then a lot more people would consider it.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:21 AM
Drifting

i just don't like the CVT it sounds like your car is just red lining when you punch it. Why can't they just give a traditional transmission with AWD then a lot more people would consider it.
AWD isn't really NEEDED anywhere. It's a nice to have. i live in PA and get plenty of snow and rain, I had no issues with any of my FWD TL's, as long as I had good tires.
As far as I can tell, there are two guys on this thread who have actually driven the car. Me and one other poster. IMO the CVT sounds really cool. It does not sound like your redlining the entire time when
you get on it. it does for a little bit but not the whole time. Take it from someone who can actually redline their car with my manual 4G. Guy who crap on the Maxima, have never driven it. It's a really nice car and IMO the
best in that price range and maybe even a little above it.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Not sure if the OP made his/her purchase yet or not, but thought I'd chime in. My wife's ride is a '12 TL SH-AWD tech that she's had for nearly 4 years now. She absolutely loves the car. Has the AWD for the difficult roads she drives to work here in NH winters (and yes you DO need AWD for some of her roads - trust me on that one). At the start of the summer, we needed to bring her TL in for the TSB on the auto tranny filter gurgle, and the dealer gave her a '16 TLX SH-AWD as the loaner - so it was an apples-apples comparison. She was very unimpressed with the car, since all of the things that make her smile while driving her TL had been "numbed" in the TLX. The steering was much lighter in the TLX (similar to my RDX's steering feel). The ride was much more "luxury" (aka floating) in the TLX vs the performance-feel of the TL's suspension. Cornering in the TL is MUCH sharper and predictable than the TLX. And her final observation was that the lack of a shift lever - and the feel of the 9-speed AT vs her 6-speed AT - was not something she liked the behavior of. She was glad she got the loaner since it made her appreciate her TL SH-AWD that much more. Not sure what we'll do if something ever happens to her car, since there aren't many good SH-AWD TL's around any more on the market.....

Again - this is my wife's perspective - but she'd definitely point someone to a CPO TL SH-AWD vs a TLX... And while I'm not a sedan sort of person, I see where she's coming from. The cockpit feel of the TL provides a very unique experience....

andy
Old 08-24-2016, 09:25 AM
Banned

AWD should be on the way for the Maxima according to the Nissan product manager responsible for the car..
Old 08-24-2016, 09:26 AM
Banned

AWD isn't really NEEDED anywhere. It's a nice to have. i live in PA and get plenty of snow and rain, I had no issues with any of my FWD TL's, as long as I had good tires.
As far as I can tell, there are two guys on this thread who have actually driven the car. Me and one other poster. IMO the CVT sounds really cool. It does not sound like your redlining the entire time when
you get on it. it does for a little bit but not the whole time. Take it from someone who can actually redline their car with my manual 4G. Guy who crap on the Maxima, have never driven it. It's a really nice car and IMO the
best in that price range and maybe even a little above it.
The SH-AWD actually transformed the 4G TL from a very competent FWD sporty sedan to a real high performance sport sedan, regardless of layout.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:51 AM
Racer

andysinnh,
Exactly, if you want the sportier car/driving experience, go for the AWD TL. Something smoother and more floaty feeling, go for the TLX.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

If you had driven the new Maxima before you formed an opinion you'd realise that when it's placed in sport mode it simulates gear shifts, it doesn't just sit at redline like the CVT's in lower end models.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:42 AM
Drifting

If you had driven the new Maxima before you formed an opinion you'd realise that when it's placed in sport mode it simulates gear shifts, it doesn't just sit at redline like the CVT's in lower end models.
That's true. Forgot about that. Too many strong opinions on CVT, but so few have actually driven the CVT in the car we are debating.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:15 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh
Not sure if the OP made his/her purchase yet or not, but thought I'd chime in. My wife's ride is a '12 TL SH-AWD tech that she's had for nearly 4 years now. She absolutely loves the car. Has the AWD for the difficult roads she drives to work here in NH winters (and yes you DO need AWD for some of her roads - trust me on that one). At the start of the summer, we needed to bring her TL in for the TSB on the auto tranny filter gurgle, and the dealer gave her a '16 TLX SH-AWD as the loaner - so it was an apples-apples comparison. She was very unimpressed with the car, since all of the things that make her smile while driving her TL had been "numbed" in the TLX. The steering was much lighter in the TLX (similar to my RDX's steering feel). The ride was much more "luxury" (aka floating) in the TLX vs the performance-feel of the TL's suspension. Cornering in the TL is MUCH sharper and predictable than the TLX. And her final observation was that the lack of a shift lever - and the feel of the 9-speed AT vs her 6-speed AT - was not something she liked the behavior of. She was glad she got the loaner since it made her appreciate her TL SH-AWD that much more. Not sure what we'll do if something ever happens to her car, since there aren't many good SH-AWD TL's around any more on the market.....

Again - this is my wife's perspective - but she'd definitely point someone to a CPO TL SH-AWD vs a TLX... And while I'm not a sedan sort of person, I see where she's coming from. The cockpit feel of the TL provides a very unique experience....

andy

Haven't made a decision yet. For me it's really the 4cyl TLX vs the TL FWD. I don't want the oil consumption issues and really don't need the sh AWD. My folks have an MDX with sh AWD and unless I stomp it hard thro a corner I can't tell much of a difference. I'm sure the AWD can be a blast but I spent 7 years in a 3rd gen fwd tl and it was perfect for me. I doubt I even consider the v6 TLX due to pretty much everyones disdain for the transmission. I'll put in another test drive or two and see if the 4 banger is enough for me (I have a feeling it won't be), however I'm not the spirited driver I once was, tho I do like quick acceleration.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

The SH-AWD actually transformed the 4G TL from a very competent FWD sporty sedan to a real high performance sport sedan, regardless of layout.

High performance sport sedan is an M5, CTS-V, E63S, and so on. Not an Acura TL. You lose credibility when you say things like this. I fully agree the 4GTL SHAWD 6MT is a very competent FWD sporty sedan.

Originally Posted by robster80
H. I doubt I even consider the v6 TLX due to pretty much everyones disdain for the transmission.
You should really take an extended test drive in the V6 and judge for yourself rather than avoid it altogether based on what you read here in 4G land.

Last edited by ggesq; 08-24-2016 at 12:20 PM.

Quick Reply: 4g owners - buy a 4g or a TLX?