Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 Acura Tl vs. 2009 BMW 335xi

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:57 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by damnboy37
I agree

Actually the Hyundai Genesis is the first car they mention, they say it has the space of a 7er to compete with the 5er at the price of a 3. They mention the TL after the Infiniti suv.

People have to remember the 3 series is the bottom of the barrel for luxury (325), but at the top in performance (M3). The 7 series is all luxury, performance comes after. The 5 series fits right in the middle. There is a reason why car magazines say good things about BMW or compare other cars to BMWs.
Very true.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by damnboy37
There is a reason why car magazines say good things about BMW or compare other cars to BMWs.
I think the 135 is the current bottom of BMW's barrel. Its also near the top of their performance food chain.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Forgot about the 135 or the 128 for that matter
Old 11-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by cg2006TSX
A few follow-up points:

1. I've driven both the 4G TL & 3G TL, the 2G TSX, the 335, and owned the 1G TSX prior to buying the 08 328xi. If you want to state balance, the 328 is the closest to car perfection I've ever owned/driven. The 335 is nirvana, however in the case of the 335, I was concerned about the longevity of the turbos since I intend to give the 328 to my wife and buy an M coupe for the 2010 LCI.

2. As pointed out by a number of posters, the 4G TL is not a competitor to the 3, but to the 5, if at all - I don't believe anyone really cross-shops a TL with a 5. Personally, I believe the 4G TL competes with the Lexus GS. Infiniti's G, Audi's A6, BMWs 5 are beyond Acura's ability to compete.

3. Forums like these can go round and round about meaningless statistics and reviews, however the truth is there if you are willing to accept it:

Acura. Epic. Fail(ure). Following. Success. 3G TL. 1G TSX.
Motortrend has compared Mitsubishi Lancer EVO with BMW 135I. Lancer despite being heaiver and has two litre high rev torque engines do the 3 miles road lap course 10 seconds faster. So which one is better in handling? offcourse lancer is 10K cheaper for similar equipment.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...fications.html.

The point is Acura is targetting unique combination of fuel economy, maintainance, comfort, telematics at prices that no one can compete and it is reflected in long term residual values of the cars. They arent putting every thing in performance and handling part otherwise u would have seen enhanced version of Honda S2000 engines into TSX and NSX engines into TL. that were producing 300 odd horsepower from 3litre two decades ago without turbos. with varous options of sport suspensions and RWD.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by SSFTSX
Motortrend has compared Mitsubishi Lancer EVO with BMW 135I. Lancer despite being heaiver and has two litre high rev torque engines do the 3 miles road lap course 10 seconds faster. So which one is better in handling? offcourse lancer is 10K cheaper for similar equipment.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...fications.html.
few quick things.

They list two different spreads on the lap times one in the chart (10sec) & one in the narrative (3.42 seconds).

"In one lap around the 2.74-mile Reno-Fernley Raceway, the Evo put a blistering 3.42 seconds on the 135i."

The one in the narrative makes more sense since the 135 is quicker then the Evo in all the measurements.

The other is the Evo is an auto clutch manual & the 135 is a pure auto. Be interesting to see the same run with a 6MT in the 135.

Finally all things considered they said buy the 135 because you can actually live with it as a daily driver & not lose your fillings.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
few quick things.

They list two different spreads on the lap times one in the chart (10sec) & one in the narrative (3.42 seconds).

"In one lap around the 2.74-mile Reno-Fernley Raceway, the Evo put a blistering 3.42 seconds on the 135i."

The one in the narrative makes more sense since the 135 is quicker then the Evo in all the measurements.

The other is the Evo is an auto clutch manual & the 135 is a pure auto. Be interesting to see the same run with a 6MT in the 135.

Finally all things considered they said buy the 135 because you can actually live with it as a daily driver & not lose your fillings.
I was only comparing only one aspect. Lancer is not refined car. and with heavier AWD system and smaller displacement engine it is bound to lose straight line performance figures.
Heavier BMW 335XI is bound to lose straight line performance and price figures.
here is another comparision 135 vs Lancer Evo.
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/car...i-135-lap.html
Significantly, these results echo our collective impressions of these cars. The enthusiasts among us were very fond of the Evo as a track car and rather disappointed with the STi. We all thought the 135i was spectacular to drive, both on road and track. The STi was very forgiving but not much fun. The 135i displayed more understeer than we expected. The Evo had inch-perfect adjustability and can make almost any driver look like an expert with a hint of oversteer that’s controllable and forgiving.

So it’s nice to see our impressions encapsulated in a single empirical measurement that conveys how capable and quick a car is. This playful exercise reaffirmed the maxim that horsepower alone is not the be all end all. The car with the most (STi with 305 hp) was slowest, and the car with the least (Evo with 291 hp) was fastest around our track. Whether this was a one-time exercise or a prelude of things to come remains to be seen
Acura is brand more in line with MB/Lexus not with Infiniti/BMW.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:19 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

few quick things.

The 6AT in the BMW is one of the best in the industry. It doesn't give up much, if any performance to the 6MT.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

I was only comparing only one aspect. Lancer is not refined car. and with heavier AWD system and smaller displacement engine it is bound to lose straight line performance figures.
Heavier BMW 335XI is bound to lose straight line performance and price figures.
here is another comparision 135 vs Lancer Evo.
Acura is brand more in line with MB/Lexus not with Infiniti/BMW.
To me all it says is a car biased toward track performance is not very good as a street car. No great revelation there.

As far as what brand Acura is in line with I will respectfully disagree its truly in line with any of those you listed.

It has one $50K car that it can't sell.

The other brands you listed generally have more cars over $50K then Acura has models. Even my Expedition EL 4X4 with a MSRP over $50K has more luxury features the a TL.

Additionally, a lot of full sized pickups cost as much or more then a 4G SH-AWD

The Acura is much more of a wannabe then been there brand since it has never produced cars in the same luxury class at the other three manufactures.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
The 6AT in the BMW is one of the best in the industry. It doesn't give up much, if any performance to the 6MT.
The write up said they were having trouble getting to the right gear with the BMW auto. If you are in the wrong gear on a road course performance suffers greatly.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
The Acura is much more of a wannabe then been there brand since it has never produced cars in the same luxury class at the other three manufactures.
As much as i can appreciate the Acura brand, you couldnt of said this any better.....
Old 11-16-2008, 03:39 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

The write up said they were having trouble getting to the right gear with the BMW auto. If you are in the wrong gear on a road course performance suffers greatly.
This is what they said,

"The Evo has the best version of this kind of transmission to date. The 135i's auto isn't bad, probably the best currently in a BMW, but the Evo's TC-SST is just amazing."

I can't find where they are having trouble getting to the right gear.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Suzuka Master

This is what they said,

"The Evo has the best version of this kind of transmission to date. The 135i's auto isn't bad, probably the best currently in a BMW, but the Evo's TC-SST is just amazing."

I can't find where they are having trouble getting to the right gear.
""Thanks to the MR's paddle-shiftable six-speed Twin-Clutch Sport Shift Transmission (TC-SST), the Evo always seems to be in the right gear as well" & "Stunning dual transmission."""

Since they were comparing it specifically to the 135 auto its reasonable to think the 135 was not always in the right gear since they went out of their way to say the Evo was.

A pure auto (torque converter/planetary gear set) is not as track worthy as the dual clutch/manual auto shift gearbox in the Evo.

Of course if you want to make a case that a pure auto is as efficient on a road course as a dual clutch manual with auto shift be my guest.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-16-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

To me all it says is a car biased toward track performance is not very good as a street car. No great revelation there.

As far as what brand Acura is in line with I will respectfully disagree its truly in line with any of those you listed.

It has one $50K car that it can't sell.
Neither is M45 or GS460 which are 50K sell well and they give V8 option. There isnt market for 50K Japanese Car\SUV. It is just public perception.
The other brands you listed generally have more cars over $50K then Acura has models. Even my Expedition EL 4X4 with a MSRP over $50K has more luxury features the a TL.
Expedition is mass produced with varous incentive. Acura RL is very nich product for those who understand style, road presence and refinement. Its biggest problem in EU/Asia is lack of diesel engine.

http://www.motorauthority.com/conten...17-950x673.jpg

Additionally, a lot of full sized pickups cost as much or more then a 4G SH-AWD
These are utility vehicles and dont hold value. 4G SH is more for pleasure.
It is just perception. why 5 year old Acura hold better value than 5 year old BMW/Infiniti/Lexus. Acura age graciously. just compare 2001-02 Acura TL with ES-300 of that time.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:03 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura is kind of a wannabe luxury brand but they are fixing that by moving away from FWD and loading up the cars with more technology. If the RL had a BMW or Mercedes-Benz badge on the hood it would probably sell very well. Compared to Infiniti, however, Acura is doing very well.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Neither is M45 or GS460 which are 50K sell well and they give V8 option. There isnt market for 50K Japanese Car\SUV. It is just public perception.
I can't really figure out what you are trying to say here but Lexus has the following over $50K all of which are quite common here in Raleigh except for the ISF & 600:

GS450H
GS460
GX470
ISF
LX570
LS460
SC430
LS600 @ $100+

I can guarantee you that when I pick up my grandkids up after school the are more $50K+ Lexus BMW & Infinity SUV's in the line then Acura TL by a large margin. Have never seen an RL there.

Infinity:
FX-50
M-45
QX56

BMW:
Over 9 models with 3 over $100K

MB: Over 8 with the top of the line at $495K

Expedition is mass produced with varous incentive. Acura RL is very nich product for those who understand style, road presence and refinement. Its biggest problem in EU/Asia is lack of diesel engine.
Regardless of what the design criteria are, the Expedition top models & their EX versions list for over $50K, have more luxury features & easily outsell the Acura RL. I guess not that may people in the US understand style, road presence, refinement, so they just go out & shop the common garden variety MB, BMW Lexus & Infinity.

These are utility vehicles and dont hold value. 4G SH is more for pleasure.
I paid $15,000 out the door for my new in 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4.

They are on dealers lots in 2008, ten years later, for as much as $8,900. Rock bottom is about $5,000.

I don't believe you know that much about the used truck market which actually does hold its value much better the then the used car market does.

It is just perception. why 5 year old Acura hold better value than 5 year old BMW/Infiniti/Lexus. Acura age graciously. just compare 2001-02 Acura TL with ES-300 of that time.
Honda has a good reputation for reliability which adds to its value as a used car. The Honda Civic also holds its value well but neither the Civic nor the Acura TL have held their value as well as my 10 year old Ford pickup truck has.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Safety Car

I can't really figure out what you are trying to say here but Lexus has the following over $50K all of which are quite common here in Raleigh except for the ISF & 600:

GS450H
GS460
GX470
ISF
LX570
LS460
SC430
LS600 @ $100+

I can guarantee you that when I pick up my grandkids up after school the are more $50K+ Lexus BMW & Infinity SUV's in the line then Acura TL by a large margin. Have never seen an RL there.

Infinity:
FX-50
M-45
QX56

BMW:
Over 9 models with 3 over $100K

MB: Over 8 with the top of the line at $495K
Acura has one product in 50K range and that is with V6 engine. Acura/honda does not offer so many models in that price range.
MDX is almost $45-48k SUV but sells quite well compared to GX/ML/BMW X-5/Infinit FX.

so u have to look at individual level. by that standards even 335XI is RL competitor for similar equipment price. u can pretty much get fully loaded RL 50K but in 3 series much too be desired. 09 RL styling, refinement/quality/telematics will blow 3/5 series away.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/14471/20...-navi-review/3
Starting from $32,990 - $1000 less than the predecessor - the Japanese built Accord Euro is a dead set steal for the money and given the function, application, appearance and purpose is pretty hard to pass up. Even with the rivals nipping at the Euro’s heels it has again managed to keep one step ahead and if I could just add bluetooth, self folding mirrors and change the tyres I’d be as good as sold.

Regardless of what the design criteria are, the Expedition top models & their EX versions list for over $50K, have more luxury features & easily outsell the Acura RL. I guess not that may people in the US understand style, road presence, refinement, so they just go out & shop the common garden variety MB, BMW Lexus & Infinity.
There is perception that a person has to sit in SUV to be safe. Mostly soccer Moms used it for hauling kids and groceries. RL/TL is not that type of vehicle. It is more personal. U have so many RWD from BMW 3, Infinit G, Lexus IS, Audi A-4, M-B C but only Acura is left with FWD. Nothing wrong with that if continue to provide value, lower maintainance, less visit to mechinic shop in luxury class.

I paid $15,000 out the door for my new in 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4.

They are on dealers lots in 2008, ten years later, for as much as $8,900. Rock bottom is about $5,000.

I don't believe you know that much about the used truck market which actually does hold its value much better the then the used car market does.
A decent Honda Accord 98 also sells from $8k to $9k when new one was in $16 to $20k range.

Honda has a good reputation for reliability which adds to its value as a used car. The Honda Civic also holds its value well but neither the Civic nor the Acura TL have held their value as well as my 10 year old Ford pickup truck has.
depreciation is usually larger for expensive personal vehicle but among expensive vehicles Acura holds value much better. u can pretty much buy 2002-03 S- Class/LS/BMW 7 Series. for price of 04 Acura TL.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Interesting how perceptions can be perpetuated just because of one encounter. My first experience with an Acura was with an NSX, and that has always kept me interested in the marque and I've bought more of the same make later on in life. My first ownership experience with a BMW was a 740i, and I swear I will never buy another Bimmer again.

Mind you, they are offering 0.9% financing on all remaining '08 M3s at my local dealership.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Interesting how perceptions can be perpetuated just because of one encounter. My first experience with an Acura was with an NSX, and that has always kept me interested in the marque and I've bought more of the same make later on in life...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8-zbfdPfRg

Last edited by S2000 Driver; 11-16-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:26 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

""Thanks to the MR's paddle-shiftable six-speed Twin-Clutch Sport Shift Transmission (TC-SST), the Evo always seems to be in the right gear as well" & "Stunning dual transmission."""

Since they were comparing it specifically to the 135 auto its reasonable to think the 135 was not always in the right gear since they went out of their way to say the Evo was.

A pure auto (torque converter/planetary gear set) is not as track worthy as the dual clutch/manual auto shift gearbox in the Evo.

Of course if you want to make a case that a pure auto is as efficient on a road course as a dual clutch manual with auto shift be my guest.
I believe when they are racing, they will use the paddle shifters instead. With that mode engaged, the driver controls when to shift. Unless the driver is not familiar with racing, he or she should know which gear to use at all time.

Dual clutch of course is better than a normal automatic gearbox. But from the performance numbers, even with the dual clutch box, the EVO is still considerably slower than the 135i in the straight line. Without the SST, the Evo would even be slower.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Interesting how perceptions can be perpetuated just because of one encounter. My first experience with an Acura was with an NSX, and that has always kept me interested in the marque and I've bought more of the same make later on in life. My first ownership experience with a BMW was a 740i, and I swear I will never buy another Bimmer again.

Mind you, they are offering 0.9% financing on all remaining '08 M3s at my local dealership.
lol..may I ask what you do for a living? I love the cars in your Garage, current and sold ones..lol.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Suzuka Master

SSFTSX you are missing the point...Acura had yet to make it in the luxury class since it has no cars in the luxury class.

As soon as you start talking about bang for the buck you are no longer talking luxury. Luxury is something lavish, something superfluous, not the best value for the dollar.

Do you really think any MB is worth $495,000. After a certain point $50/60K its all pure status & a cars place on the status food chain determines if its a luxury car or not. So far Acura has not made the cut.

The Expedition was an example of something that cost more then the TL/RL but is NOT a luxury item.

The Expedition makes no claim at all to being a luxury car since its a big 6,000lb truck. It also makes no claim to be a luxury SUV since its a Ford not a Lexus, MB, BMW etc.

What I am saying is even though its not a luxury vehicle it comes with many more luxury type features in addition to all the standard things the TL has, except for HID's

It has heated & air conditioned seats with air ducted from the main a/c system, brake & throttle pedals that auto adjust to the driver along with the seats, mirrors etc when you hit the key fob.

Separate automatic climate controls for front & back, separate audio visual controls front & back with wireless head phones for the back.

Drivers seat that automatically moves back when you shut down & moves forward when you start up. Six speed auto with mechanical limited slip differential.

Better leather then my TL which is getting worn at 28,000 miles.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-16-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
lol..may I ask what you do for a living? I love the cars in your Garage, current and sold ones..lol.
Let's just say it's entirely legal, but the going's tough right now in this crappy economy. You're 22. You'll have plenty of time to enjoy the finer things in life, whether they be Acuras or BMWs.

See ya.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Just a anecdotal point on my personal experience with Honda reliability.

My son-in-laws Honda V6 EX barfed up its automatic transmission at about 60K miles.

My '06 TL in addition to normal maintenance has had its left rear tail light assembly replaced after 3 weeks, third gear in the 6MT replaced, power steering hose replaced & wiper motor replaced all under warranty or recall. Leather on the front seats will be replaced & the DVD player is starting to skip.

My BMW 330 6MT convert has just under 60,000 miles with only normal maintenance, My 98 Ranger 4X4 is 10 years old with only normal maintenance, The Expedition 4X4 is to new to matter but the 02 Explorer 4X4 that I traded in on it had 120K+ miles with only normal maintenance.

Your milage may vary.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:37 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
SSFTSX you are missing the point...Acura had yet to make it in the luxury class since it has no cars in the luxury class.

Not true, the RL is clearly in the luxury mid-sized class like the 5 series and E classes.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Not true, the RL is clearly in the luxury mid-sized class like the 5 series and E classes.
Excuse me but the 09 Accord EX is the same size as the RL, is it a luxury car? The 402HP Pontiac G8/GXP has the same overall dimensions as the RL except that its 3 inches wider, is it a luxary car?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

As soon as you start talking about bang for the buck you are no longer talking luxury. Luxury is something lavish, something superfluous, not the best value for the dollar.

Do you really think any MB is worth $495,000. After a certain point $50/60K its all pure status & a cars place on the status food chain determines if its a luxury car or not. So far Acura has not made the cut.

The Expedition was an example of something that cost more then the TL/RL but is NOT a luxury item.

The Expedition makes no claim at all to being a luxury car since its a big 6,000lb truck. It also makes no claim to be a luxury SUV since its a Ford not a Lexus, MB, BMW etc.

What I am saying is even though its not a luxury vehicle it comes with many more luxury type features in addition to all the standard things the TL has, except for HID's

It has heated & air conditioned seats with air ducted from the main a/c system, brake & throttle pedals that auto adjust to the driver along with the seats, mirrors etc when you hit the key fob.

Separate automatic climate controls for front & back, separate audio visual controls front & back with wireless head phones for the back.

Drivers seat that automatically moves back when you shut down & moves forward when you start up. Six speed auto with mechanical limited slip differential.

Better leather then my TL which is getting worn at 28,000 miles.
Definition of luxury is not superflous but Comfort, Convenience, reliability and Car does not have to be a tug boat to achieve those objective criterias so it needs decent handling not over done with tires with less rubber to achive.
I need car that is comfortable, quiet at high speeds, decent handling and with good fuel economy so no need to for gas stops on freeway drivings for hours.
2/3 of Luxury cars in Europe are now diesel. It does not prove that Luxury has to be superflous. People are willing to accept diesel noise and lower horsepower.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Safety Car

Excuse me but the 09 Accord EX is the same size as the RL, is it a luxury car? The 402HP Pontiac G8/GXP has the same overall dimensions as the RL except that its 3 inches wider, is it a luxary car?
Idea of lexury is quietness, comfort, convenience with decent speeds and handling.

http://www.motorauthority.com/2009-h...-in-busan.html
Visual updates include a new hood, front bumper and lights plus a redesigned trunk lid and 18" alloy wheels. An active noise cancellation system helps keep cabin noise to a minimum, plus a new type of sound deadening material is employed in the new 2009 model to help further attenuate unwanted noise. Technological connectedness is made easy with an array of attachment options, including Bluetooth, USB and auxiliary inputs.

The full complement of standard safety features including traction control, airbags, active head restraints and rigid body structure are present as well, while the chassis itself has received some attention to bolster rigidity for improved handling. Suspension settings have also been tweaked to improve ride and handling.
Accord/TL does not have the looks of RL/Legend

http://www.motorauthority.com/conten...17-950x673.jpg
Old 11-17-2008, 11:39 AM
AZ Community Team

If that's your definition of a luxury car.

The rest of the auto press/critic/journalists use the features/functions/quality of appointments/materials/technology/performance/safety.... to quantify a luxury car. Given the SH-AWD, wood veneer, radar cruise control, Real-time Traffic XM GPS, adaptive headlights,.... the RL falls into the a mid-sized luxury catagory by the majority of the auto press.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/755/releases/4413

Worth a read if you want to know all the things about the RL.

Last edited by Legend2TL; 11-17-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:44 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

You are not completely correct in saying this. Gasoline is taxed through the roof in Europe while diesel is not hence why diesel sells so well in Europe.

And while you are getting less horsepower with diesel you are getting maybe twice the torque, which is more useful for city driving, which is more common in Europe than all out freeway driving.

The RL is a 'luxury' car but without offering things like a V8 and options such as front/rear parking sensors, adjustable suspension, adjustable rear seats (luxury items), etc... I don't think it is considered as being in the same class as the 5 or the E, for example. And, if you doubt this, then why don't people buy the car? You're not getting a lot of BMW/Mercedes customers even knowing about the car.

2/3 of Luxury cars in Europe are now diesel. It does not prove that Luxury has to be superflous. People are willing to accept diesel noise and lower horsepower.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CL6
You are not completely correct in saying this. Gasoline is taxed through the roof in Europe while diesel is not hence why diesel sells so well in Europe.

And while you are getting less horsepower with diesel you are getting maybe twice the torque, which is more useful for city driving, which is more common in Europe than all out freeway driving.

The RL is a 'luxury' car but without offering things like a V8 and options such as front/rear parking sensors, adjustable suspension, adjustable rear seats (luxury items), etc... I don't think it is considered as being in the same class as the 5 or the E, for example. And, if you doubt this, then why don't people buy the car? You're not getting a lot of BMW/Mercedes customers even knowing about the car.
Diesel or gasoline shouldnt matter if some one can afford so called luxury superflous prices.
10% of luxury cars are V8. Both S Class and BMW 7 come with 6 cylinder gasoline and diesel and they are the biggest seller. BMW 3, Audi A-4/MB-C has 4 cylinders and they are the majority. They are called compact exectives.
Or according to your definition they are not luxury. It is not the cylinders that matter but aerodynamic drag, weight ratio to achieve decent performance. Acura cars have the lowest Cd ratio right with lexus.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:59 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by CL6

It competes in 5 and E market which I don't believe offer adjustable rear seats, I thought the RL parking sensors were a dealer installed option (?).

You answered your 1st question with your 2nd question. Most BMW/MB owners probably don't know much if any about the RL.

Also diesel fuel is also heavily taxed in Europe, the cost of diesel is only slightly less than gas.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:37 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

As to diesel I'm afraid you're wrong. Diesel is taxed much less in Europe because it is used by commercial companies who would go on strike were it taxed any higher. Gasoline is taxed at a higher rate. In fact, the disparity is so great the EU wants to stop this tax break from happening anymore:

http://www.euractiv.com/en/transport...article-162446

For example:

"excise duties would be lifted from the current €302 per 1,000 litres to €359 – bringing it in line with the current minimum tax on petrol."

This would be an increase by 20%:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/748ecd92-d...00e2511c8.html

Also Europe refines far more oil into diesel than they do gasoline.

The 5 and E don't have reclining seats but the 7 and S do, and those are the flagship sedans of their respective brands. The RL is the flagship brand of Acura.

Parking sensors are a dealer installed option but are only for the rear not the front.

We had an 06 RL here for nearly 3 months and every E Class customer I showed it to had never heard of it.

The S Class is not offered in the States with a V6 nor as a diesel... only as a V8. Mercedes-Benz stopped selling 4 cylinders in the States in 2005... not a luxury engine...

Last edited by CL6; 11-17-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

Diesel cars are also costly in upfront costs and maintainance.

EuroAccord does have parking sensor. So it isnot big deal that US bound RL dont have.
S and 7 series are tug boats. not in same class of RL which is more compared to 5 and E series. 3/5, C/E are the majority sellers of the brands. So suppose of Honda buy Buggati or RollsRoyce just to produce few overexpensive cars does not make it luxury brand. Luxury brand consistenly provides luxury in majority of its cars.

http://www.peterwarren.com.au/news/?...d=150&cat_id=1
Euro Luxury
• Driver and front passenger 8-way power seats
• Driver memory seat
• 18 inch alloy wheels
• Temporary spare tyre
• Automatic on/off headlights
• Front and rear parking sensors
Euro Luxury Navi
• Satellite Navigation
• Reversing camera
Old 11-17-2008, 01:00 PM
AZ Community Team

Gasoline prices in Europe
http://goeurope.about.com/gi/dynamic...s.html%23Motor

Diesel prices in Europe
http://goeurope.about.com/gi/dynamic....html%23Diesel

The differences are not "Gasoline is taxed through the roof in Europe while diesel is not hence why diesel sells so well in Europe." as you stated.

I've been to Europe four times and paid for fuel there in France, Italy and Germany, so I was fairly aware of the differences.

Originally Posted by CL6
As to diesel I'm afraid you're wrong. Diesel is taxed much less in Europe because it is used by commercial companies who would go on strike were it taxed any higher. Gasoline is taxed at a higher rate. In fact, the disparity is so great the EU wants to stop this tax break from happening anymore:

http://www.euractiv.com/en/transport...article-162446

For example:

"excise duties would be lifted from the current €302 per 1,000 litres to €359 – bringing it in line with the current minimum tax on petrol."

This would be an increase by 20%:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/748ecd92-d...00e2511c8.html

Also Europe refines far more oil into diesel than they do gasoline.

The 5 and E don't have reclining seats but the 7 and S do, and those are the flagship sedans of their respective brands. The RL is the flagship brand of Acura.

Parking sensors are a dealer installed option but are only for the rear not the front.

We had an 06 RL here for nearly 3 months and every E Class customer I showed it to had never heard of it.

The S Class is not offered in the States with a V6 nor as a diesel... only as a V8. Mercedes-Benz stopped selling 4 cylinders in the States in 2005... not a luxury engine...
Old 11-17-2008, 01:10 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

LOL. I'm sorry but any discussion of what a 'luxury' car is should not include a reference to the Euro Accord not having something so then it's okay for the RL to not have it, either!

Here are some options offered for the E which the RL does not offer:

- Headlamp washing system
- Adjustable suspension
- Limited slip differential
- 186 MPH top speed
- Illuminated door sills
- Split folding rear seats
- Massaging seats
- Panorama moonroof
- Electronic trunk closer
- Air conditioned front seats (RL only blows ambient air)
- Upgraded leather w/sport seats
- Front and rear parking sensors
- High definition radio
- PRE-SAFE - Standard & makes occupants safer before an accident
- Tele-Aide (like OnStar which is no longer on the RL)
- 7 speed automatic (not 5 speed like RL)
- V8

You start getting into this stuff... that's luxury.

Hey I lived in Europe for 2 years (France) and I just cited a very recent article showing how diesel will increase in price by 30% because it is currently taxed less than gasoline.

Diesel cars are also costly in upfront costs and maintainance.

EuroAccord does have parking sensor. So it isnot big deal that US bound RL dont have.
S and 7 series are tug boats. not in same class of RL which is more compared to 5 and E series. 3/5, C/E are the majority sellers of the brands. So suppose of Honda buy Buggati or RollsRoyce just to produce few overexpensive cars does not make it luxury brand. Luxury brand consistenly provides luxury in majority of its cars.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

As for diesel prices check it out... diesel is less than gas:
http://www.see-search.com/business/f...iceseurope.htm

Why... because of taxation (like I said):

"At the pump, consumers paid less for diesel in some countries only because these countries tax gasoline much more heavily than diesel. For example, in France, consumers paid over $1 more per gallon in taxes for gasoline versus diesel, resulting in retail prices of $7.72 per gallon for gasoline and $7.13 per gallon for diesel."

http://www.energytomorrow.org/Diesel_Prices.aspx

Though diesel is catching up:
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/03...ine-in-europe/
Old 11-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CL6
LOL. I'm sorry but any discussion of what a 'luxury' car is should not include a reference to the Euro Accord not having something so then it's okay for the RL to not have it, either!

- Adjustable suspension
- 186 MPH top speed
- Illuminated door sills
- Massaging seats
- Panorama moonroof
- High definition radio
- V8

Hey I lived in Europe for 2 years (France) and I just cited a very recent article showing how diesel will increase in price by 30% because it is currently taxed less than gasoline.
Headlamp washer is hardly a luxury feature. Euro Accord has it and 186mph does not matter as most cars are limited to 155mph. and no one drives at those speeds anyway. Acura has the best Audio system

These are the feature that person has to deal every day.
http://legend.honda.com.au/about-the-car_interior.aspx
Active Noise CancellationThe Legend's Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system reduces unwanted cabin noise by as much as 10dB. A pair of ceiling-mounted microphones monitor low-frequency noise in the cabin. When sound is detected, the ANC unit sends an opposite phase signal through the Legend's audio system at an inaudible volume, effectively cancelling out the original sound. It all happens automatically, whether the audio system is switched on or off.

Electric Rear Sunshade
An electric rear sunshade is easily activated by a switch on the driver's overhead console. When 'reverse' gear is selected, it automatically retracts to allow clear rear vision. For greater passenger comfort on sunny days, the Legend also has manually operated sunshades for each rear side window
Old 11-17-2008, 01:46 PM
AZ Community Team

You could do the same for the RL, and by the way the cooled seats are only on the E550 (not in the same price range as the RL, the E350 does not even offer cooled seats). Here is the wording from the MB website for the cooled seats.

"In addition to staying toasty inside when it's cold outside with heated seats, enjoy the extra benefits of Active Ventilated Seats. These are designed to keep you cool during warmer months by gently circulating air through perforations in the seat and backrest, which also helps eliminate perspiration buildup. Using the ventilation and heating features simultaneously can even help keep you warm and dry on cold and rainy days."

So it sounds to me as the same technology as the RL seating. Also never saw hi-def FM on MB-USA website, only Sirius (XM for RL). Add in SH-AWD for the RL which is something that is fairly important considering it's torque management system.

On the other hand I do agree that the RL's greatest technical fault is a 5AT, it should be at least a 6AT. And maybe it will eventually get a V8.

I would also not consider 186MPH a option (how does one order a 186MPH option from the standard 149MPH top speed limiter?), none the less the E350 luxury compares fairly well against the RL overall. Both have some gadgets and gizmo's the other does not have but both are luxury cars.

Originally Posted by CL6

- Adjustable suspension
- 186 MPH top speed
- Illuminated door sills
- Massaging seats
- Panorama moonroof
- High definition radio
- V8

Old 11-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6

- Adjustable suspension
- 186 MPH top speed
- Illuminated door sills
- Massaging seats
- Panorama moonroof
- High definition radio
- V8

+1

I have been saying this for a long time. Acura tends to rebadge cars and still offer nothing really above what they rebadged, ie: TSX/Euro Accord or CSX/Civic (Canada) etc.

Luxury is an example of the little things such as items listed above. I mentioned earlier about the 1G TSX and VW GLI being compared. Both cars have similar drivetrains etc but the GLI/2.0T had luxury items such as Headlamp washers, auto sensing wipers, full heated seats, etc etc etc and this isnt even VW's luxury line Audi.

"iforyou" then mentioned he could compare a GLI/2.0T to an A4 then. VW/Audi does overlap some of their lines as they are not a seperate identity like BMW or MB but the difference when comparing a A4 to a GLI is quality, materials used and most important other luxury items and drivetrains not offered on a GLI/2.0T....So while you can say you could compare the two, it clearly isnt right.

Just look at the last paragraph in the edmunds review of the TL...

"Still Not Silly-Looking
As ever, the 2009 Acura TL is a weird bird in the entry luxury segment. It's a large front-drive V6-powered sedan, similar in performance and price to the Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV. But Acura is the corporation's luxury or rather premium nameplate, putting it in de facto competition with the Infiniti G37. It's a brand that's never really been pitched as a full-on luxury brand competing with the Germans. Instead, it's operated (most successfully) as a sensible step up from the sensible Honda models. Despite the redesign for the TL, this positioning hasn't changed for 2009."

Most people including auto journalists can see that alot of the Acura line is comparable to high end parent company models and that Acura should be compared by default because its suppose to be higher/luxury brand compared to Honda, but just doesnt make it into the full Luxury line yet....at least when comparing to German brands.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:14 PM
AZ Community Team

True, but then again when one sees 5-series taxi (as I've taken in Europe a few times), you get the wonderment of what is truely luxury?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_c7Vipep27NQ/R3...4/IMG_2699.JPG

Originally Posted by cp3117
+1

I have been saying this for a long time. Acura tends to rebadge cars and still offer nothing really above what they rebadged, ie: TSX/Euro Accord or CSX/Civic (Canada) etc.

Luxury is an example of the little things such as items listed above. I mentioned earlier about the 1G TSX and VW GLI being compared. Both cars have similar drivetrains etc but the GLI/2.0T had luxury items such as Headlamp washers, auto sensing wipers, full heated seats, etc etc etc and this isnt even VW's luxury line Audi.

"iforyou" then mentioned he could compare a GLI/2.0T to an A4 then. VW/Audi does overlap some of their lines as they are not a seperate identity like BMW or MB but the difference when comparing a A4 to a GLI is quality, materials used and most important other luxury items and drivetrains not offered on a GLI/2.0T....So while you can say you could compare the two, it clearly isnt right.

Just look at the last paragraph in the edmunds review of the TL...

"Still Not Silly-Looking
As ever, the 2009 Acura TL is a weird bird in the entry luxury segment. It's a large front-drive V6-powered sedan, similar in performance and price to the Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV. But Acura is the corporation's luxury or rather premium nameplate, putting it in de facto competition with the Infiniti G37. It's a brand that's never really been pitched as a full-on luxury brand competing with the Germans. Instead, it's operated (most successfully) as a sensible step up from the sensible Honda models. Despite the redesign for the TL, this positioning hasn't changed for 2009."

Most people including auto journalists can see that alot of the Acura line is comparable to high end parent company models and that Acura should be compared by default because its suppose to be higher/luxury brand compared to Honda, but just doesnt make it into the full Luxury line yet....at least when comparing to German brands.

Quick Reply: 2009 Acura Tl vs. 2009 BMW 335xi