Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Wipers

Hi there, does anyone else have wipers that "miss" the middle of the windshield?? I have tried aftermarket wipers but unfortunetly they have not helped either. Please let me know if you TSX has this issue and what if anything you have done to remedy it. Thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
What do you mean by miss?

Have a complete strip that doesn't get wiped at all?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I have recently gotten this problem with my right wiper blade. I assumed it was because all of the salts and dirt from the road is covering my car. I also live in New England so the weather is pretty bad so my windshield wipers have taken a beating, so I was planning on getting new wipers anyway. Although I have only had these for a few months.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Unregistered User

I changed my factory wipers after about 3 years of usage. They were cheap and I am happy with it
Old 01-12-2009, 11:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by valeratj
I changed my factory wipers after about 3 years of usage. They were cheap and I am happy with it
Which wipers did you switch to?
Old 01-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by annwon
Hi there, does anyone else have wipers that "miss" the middle of the windshield?? I have tried aftermarket wipers but unfortunetly they have not helped either. Please let me know if you TSX has this issue and what if anything you have done to remedy it. Thanks
... Would help if you mentioned what year TSX you have. The later 1GEN models have the aerodynamic Bosch ICON style which provides pressure to keep the blade seated against the windshield.

Also ... have you cleaned the windshield scrupulously (with something like Stoners or other auto glass cleaner) and still experienced this?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had my OEM replacements in for about 2 years now and so far so good. I think the key is, like David said above, to make sure your windshield is clean.

I did have a similar problem with my wife's Civic. The wiper would "float" over a certain part of the windshield and no cleaning of the windshield fixed the problem. I replaced the wipers with some cheepo brand from Target and the problem was soleved. It might have been the poor material quality of the previous wiper where the elements (hot sun in the summer) might have comprimised the wiper's ability to do its job.

So, I guess what I'm saying is: 1) make sure the window is clean, and 2) if it is then change the wiper.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Drifting

Along with the windshield, keep the blades themselves clean. This usually fixes most issues with the blades chattering across the class. Whenever I squeegee the windows at the gas station, I grab a paper towel and dip in in the cleaning juice. It takes about 20 additional seconds to wipe the blades down but it makes a world of difference. Especially in the winter.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Unregistered User

brand is Bosch
Old 01-13-2009, 02:43 PM

I see elsewhere that you posted you own a 2006 TSX (like me) ... so your ICON style wipers should have made good contact with your windscreen.

We must not be understanding what you mean by "missing the middle of the windshield." Could you explain it again, please?
Old 01-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Wow! 2 (or even 3!!) years out of wiper blades? I won't go any more than a year, and often less, on wiper blades. It's a cheap way to make sure you can see where you're going (and of course it's critical when travelling 80+ mph in traffic in med-heavy rain).
Old 01-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Perhaps the OP is talking about how the wipers don't completely clear the entire windshield at the very bottom. If you have OEM wipers, you'll notice that where the driver's side wiper ends and the passenger's side begins, that area at the very bottom middle of the windshield (maybe a 3'' vertical strip) doesn't get coverage by the wiper blades. It's a minor thing, but kind of surprising for a luxury car. It isn't a defect or anything because by default the passenger blade doesn't extend in far enough to cover this small are at the bottom part of the windshield.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by davidspalding
I see elsewhere that you posted you own a 2006 TSX (like me) ... so your ICON style wipers should have made good contact with your windscreen.

We must not be understanding what you mean by "missing the middle of the windshield." Could you explain it again, please?

sorry its a 2006 TSX and when I say there is an area on the windshield that the wipers miss. I mean the driver's side windshield wiper misses (does not wipe/ floats over without wiping it, it does not chatter it just kinda does not wipe it) an area approximately 12 X 12 in the middle of the windshield. I have tried both OEM and aftermarket inserts to no avail and yes the windshield is clean ................... thanks for your responses
Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM

I thought you replaced the wiper assembly ... where did you find "aftermarket inserts" (blades) for the OEM wiper assembly? (See my DIY thread for an explanation.)

If you did indeed only try this with the original wiper assembly, examine it to determine if the inner spring is broken, or misaligned. I can mayyyyyybe imagine that a faulty wiper doesn't make contact with the glass at one point in it's up and down strokes.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:29 AM
B A N N E D

I think this might be your problem

http://i.pbase.com/o6/73/506473/1/73...iperBlades.jpg

You might want to look into buying Rain-X for the windshield thought

http://www.rainx.com/Products/Windsh.../Original.aspx

Last edited by 2007CGPTSX; 01-14-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM

Permission denied viewing image. Try again.

I've used Rain-X a few times (have some "Weatherbeater" 2-in-1 for sale at the office), and though it can help water beading, and helps maintain blades, it won't solve a physical problem where the wiper is not connecting with the windshield.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

I thought you replaced the wiper assembly ... where did you find "aftermarket inserts" (blades) for the OEM wiper assembly? (See my DIY thread for an explanation.)

If you did indeed only try this with the original wiper assembly, examine it to determine if the inner spring is broken, or misaligned. I can mayyyyyybe imagine that a faulty wiper doesn't make contact with the glass at one point in it's up and down strokes.

I tried it with the original wiper arms and original wiper blades then, original wiper arms and OEM replacement blades, I then tried replacement aftermarket arms that come loaded with blades, all to no avail. I guess its possible that I have (2) two sets of wiper arms with broken springs so I'll take a look, but I really doubt it. Its really strange. It is approximately 12 X 12area right smack in the middle of the windshield, it looks like the wipers just float over the area and leave water on the windshield. I thought maybe it was because the driver's side wiper was so long that there was not enough pressure being exerted on the windshield but it looks like no one else has this issue so I'll try another set of OEM arms and inserts .....................
Old 01-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Boring Teacher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2006 and I have the exact same problem!! It totally misses an entire strip about 6 inches wide on the passenger side. It's like it's making contact with the windshield at each end of the wiper but not in the middle. The dealership has replaced the spring and the arm assembly, but it keep happening. No matter if the blades are brand new or 6 months old this happens. I've juct learned to live with it. There is nothing that the dealership can do. I'm looking into aftermarket blades that would fit the 2006...if anyone knows of any. They have to attach on the side, not the top of the assembly.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:12 AM

I think you ("boring teacher" LOL) can put Bosch ICON wipers on your existing wiper arm ... I bought some from Amazon but returned them when they weren't what I thought they were. They're almost identical to the Acura OEM wipers. A little cheaper than replacing your Acura wiper assemblies, but the commercial ICONS don't have replaceable blades (IIRC).

From your description, I would think your passenger wiper assembly is not "mating" properly with the glass. When you remove it, and remove the wiper, does it curve naturally due to the spring inside the wiper assembly?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I think you ("boring teacher" LOL) can put Bosch ICON wipers on your existing wiper arm ... I bought some from Amazon but returned them when they weren't what I thought they were. They're almost identical to the Acura OEM wipers. A little cheaper than replacing your Acura wiper assemblies, but the commercial ICONS don't have replaceable blades (IIRC).

From your description, I would think your passenger wiper assembly is not "mating" properly with the glass. When you remove it, and remove the wiper, does it curve naturally due to the spring inside the wiper assembly?

Just to clarify, we're not talking about that small (maybe 4 inch) strip at the bottom of the windshield that the driver's arm misses because it's just not long enough right? This missing area is right smack dab in the middle of the windshield, not at the bottom where the wipers rest?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:18 PM
Drifting

It sounds like the springs in the blade itself that keep the tips of the blades against the glass are stronger than the springs in the arm that pushes the middle of the blade against the glass. I don't know how you would fix that other than getting new blades or stronger springs on the arms.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:56 PM

Annwon's driver's wiper is "missing" (or floating over) a patch in the middle, presumably in the middle of the wiper.

SpoiledKar's passenger wiper is apparently missing a portion of the windshield in the middle of where the passenger wiper passes.

From what I'm getting here is they both have a wiper that is making contact on each end of the wiper, but missing the middle of the wiper, as if the wiper were forming a bridge over the glass, rather than flat contact.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:30 PM
2006 TSX

same problem here: passenger side ('06 OEM). I've had the dealer replace the blades for free 5 times. blades work find for 2 uses, and then they miss the area again. thank goodness I don't live in Seattle. I think I may be screwing up the tension in the springs when I raise the blades all the way to the locked position when I wash the car/windshield. I'm going to keep having the dealer replace the blades for free until the fix this defect (and safety hazard!).
Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I know EXACTLY what you're referring to. This happens to me at the very beginning of a storm or if it's lighly raining. After a while, it does tends to go away, which makes it even stranger. I have an '08 TSX.

When I replaced my blades with Rain-X Latitudes, this fixed the problem for about 3 months but now it has returned to missing a spot on the down-swipe for the driver's side. The passenger side is perfect, as is the up-swipe on the driver's side. I wasn't planning to replace my blades again until spring and maybe this time I'll try the Bosch Icons to see if those work better.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

Unhappy

Annwon's driver's wiper is "missing" (or floating over) a patch in the middle, presumably in the middle of the wiper.

SpoiledKar's passenger wiper is apparently missing a portion of the windshield in the middle of where the passenger wiper passes.

From what I'm getting here is they both have a wiper that is making contact on each end of the wiper, but missing the middle of the wiper, as if the wiper were forming a bridge over the glass, rather than flat contact.
you are correct the driver's side wiper does not clean a portion of the windshield. The area that it does not clean is directly below the rear view mirror and approx (6) six inches above the bottom edge of the windshield. Both outside edges of the driver's side wiper work however there is a spot just off center of the wiper blade itself that does not make contact with the windshield. I wish I could post a pix .............
Old 01-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Still Lovin my 06

i get new wipers about once a year. i hate a dirty or streaky windshield, or when the wipers start making noise.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Civic2TSX
I know EXACTLY what you're referring to. This happens to me at the very beginning of a storm or if it's lighly raining. After a while, it does tends to go away, which makes it even stranger. I have an '08 TSX.

When I replaced my blades with Rain-X Latitudes, this fixed the problem for about 3 months but now it has returned to missing a spot on the down-swipe for the driver's side. The passenger side is perfect, as is the up-swipe on the driver's side. I wasn't planning to replace my blades again until spring and maybe this time I'll try the Bosch Icons to see if those work better.
I was wrong...they are actually Bosch Micro Blades that I got buy 1 get 1 free from Advanced Auto, not Rain-X. The Bosch blades worked VERY well for the first few months. I will try to take a pic with my blackberry the next time it rains.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:08 PM
Nate

06' OEM blades with the same problem on the passenger side. I had the blade replaced this morning and it happened again on the way home. I live in Wisconsin & tend to only notice the "float" when the weather is below about 20. Inside the dealership today the blade worked fine--on the way to work it started floating again. WTF?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 PM

Lightbulb

Okay, could all who are having this problem please confirm or deny something....

Q: Is the spot that is being missed in the center of the wiper path ... within 1"-2" left or right of where the wiper arm attaches to the wiper assembly? I.e. the centerpoint of the wiper assembly?

Oh BTW, I'd wondered if you could retrofit the 2006 wipers onto a 2004, 2005 TSX ... this thread by Sauceman indicates that you can.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Drifting

^^ Good to know about the retrofit. My wipers are going to be due for replacement soon and I was wondering if this would be possible. I hate the way that the washer fluid blows off the arms and back up onto the clean windshield, which sauceman claims to be fixed with the new design. Also there are a couple places where the wiper arms actually interfere with my vision when cresting particularly steep hills. I'll have to look into the cost of doing this.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:29 PM
Boring Teacher

Okay, could all who are having this problem please confirm or deny something....

Q: Is the spot that is being missed in the center of the wiper path ... within 1"-2" left or right of where the wiper arm attaches to the wiper assembly? I.e. the centerpoint of the wiper assembly?

Oh BTW, I'd wondered if you could retrofit the 2006 wipers onto a 2004, 2005 TSX ... this thread by Sauceman indicates that you can.
Mine is right in the middle of the wiper blade. It starts about 2 inches to the left of where it attaches and continues to about 2 inches to the right of where the blade attaches.
Is that what you were asking??
Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Intermediate

When sitting in the driver's seat mine is approx 2-3 inches to the right of where the wiper arm attaches to the center point of the wiper assembly. I hope that statement is clear
Old 01-22-2009, 09:26 PM

Sorry I couldn't annotate these earlier today, but this illustrates what I mean. (Pics by Sauceman, from his 2006 OEM wiper swap thread.) The arrows aren't precise, you should get the idea....

You guys are kinda confirming what I suspected ... that if the wiper arm lifts up off the windshield a bit during it's arc, it might reduce pressure on, or even lift, the wiper assembly, causing it to "bow" on the glass. Just an idea.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Drifting

IIRC the spring on those arms has a straight piece a few inches long on one end before the hook. You could cut a a bit off and make a new hook. It would tighten up the springs and put more pressure on the center of the blades.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:21 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
still have the original OEM wiper blades on my tsx-no problems-
Old 01-23-2009, 06:43 AM

I'd be surprised (or would I) if there wasn't an adjustment fixture for the spring.... I know this was asked, and I just got around to realizing why this would help. (duh)

Another clue would be if this happens at rest or at highway speeds. In the case of SpoiledKari's 2006 model, the ICON style wiper assemblies should "push" the down to the windshield a little at 55MPH. Perhaps not enough, though, if the wiper arm is faulty.

Those with the problem, let us know if this happens at rest, at high speed, or both....
Old 01-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Racer

This location where the arrow points in the first pic is the exact location for me. It happens at any speed for me but only during light rain or the beginning of a storm.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Drifting

Have you tried cleaning the blades? It doesn't make much sense that the spring would somehow tighten up with more rain. It sounds more like blade is just leaving stuff behind. I hit mine with some rubbing alcohol and paper towel every couple weeks to clean off any sort oily filth that ends up sticking to the rubber. They glide across the glass smooth like butter after doing that. It's worth a try.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 AM

Likewise, I use the cleaning paper towel (used before buffing dry with microfiber) with Stoner's on the blades, particularly the top edge of the blade (where dirt and dust will accumulate between washings). You'd be amazed how dirty the blade gets ... though when I wash, I stop the wipers in the full vertical position so that pre-wash, detergent, foam, and anti-spot rinses don't accumulate on the blades. -- I can't imagine that a dirty blade would fail on one spot of the windshield, vice one section of the entire swipe/arc.

I also wonder if the spring in the wiper assembly is TOO strong ... making the wiper bow a little even with the stiffening splines in the blade. You guys with 2006 and later, might want to remove the wiper, remove the wiper blade (see my DIY thread) and photograph the wiper for the rest of us.

And if anyone encountering this problem removes their blade and finds NO stiffening splines in the blade, you'll have solved the problem.

So ... you folks having the problem, time to start posting some pics (there's an FAQ thread on how to post pics) so we can see what you've got. We might catch something you're overlooking.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:05 AM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Just get the Valeo ones from tirerack. Very satisfied!

Quick Reply: Windshield Wipers