TCT Woes, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 10:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
TCT Woes, help needed

Hi All, I have been lurking for a while and not posting much as my 2004 TSX has been my dead reliable car which I haven't had to do much but change the oil and tires. It has 185K miles and It recently developed a rattle, sounding like a paint can being shaken when the compressor would kick with the car in gear and stopped. I first replaced the accessory belt tensioner with no change. I then replace the A/C compressor with a bit of a change in the rattle but it's still there. I then replaced timing chain tensioner and this is where my problems have started.

I read instructions but made a mistake and the chain slipped a couple of teeth which I did not notice until I started the car and it ran awful. I spent some time messing with the chain eventually getting it lined up as per instructions (cam dots between the two black chain links on both sides, crank pulley marker lined up with cover mark). The car runs but it doesn't seem 100% right and the rattle is worse! It also seems to be idling a little bit lower and I think it cranks a tad longer before firing up. I do not have any CEL's at the moment but could be due to having disconnected the battery. Next is to get it back on the ground and go for a test ride. Couple of questions..

How many teeth can the chain be "off" before causing an interference problem?
Any other tests I should run to see if I bent a valve? Compression, vacuum,etc..?
Do I have a "stretched" timing chain or need new guides perhaps?

Thanks for any input, will also collect more data but have hit a bit of a panic and wife is sick of me fiddling with the car. I'm usually pretty good with these things, have done plenty of timing belts, etc.. but this one has bit me for some reason.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

to add a bit of info, just did a compression check, 190-195 psi across the board
Old 11-26-2016, 03:35 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
If timing chain was not replaced, the chain may have lengthened (due to wear) to point where rattle results.

good luck
Old 11-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

The problem is pretty much as it was before I swapped the tensioner, last night I was convinced it was timing chain related however I've found another forum post with similar symptoms suggesting it could be the Balance Shaft tensioner. Part number 13450-RAA-A02. Looks like it requires dropping the pan to swap.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

To report back in case anybody ends up in similar situation. I got the timing chain all lined up and things put back together and the rattle persisted. I took it to a respected shop and after 10 minutes diagnosis he told me the crank bearings were shot and i needed a new engine.

I was not convinced and ordered the balance shaft / oil pump tensioner. Sure enough I drop the oil pan down and I see a broken tensioner. Put in the new one and the car idles quiet as new! I also have a new a/c compressor, accessory tensioner / belt, and TCT to go along with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by daschwa:
fast1 (12-23-2016), Guanacoracing (01-16-2017)
Old 12-20-2016, 08:01 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks for coming back with an update (I hate it when people don't do that!). It may not be for some time, but that info will help somebody.

Also, congratulations on it being a "simple" fix!