Stop sale/recall on 04-08 TSXs - Power steering hose leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I've got a weird ooze (not quite a full leak, but there shouldn't be *any* oil on the side where it is) that I need to drive the 2hr to the dealer this summer to get fixed (Honda found it but isn't allowed to fix it...). Guess I'll see if I can just do this then. And hopefully the whooping a/c too... with the weather warming up, heard it again the other day!

Reminds me, I should go out and see if I can see signs of the ooze-- Honda put the fluorescent dye in after cleaning things up!
Old 04-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Advanced

wow, thanks for the info! ironically i live in oklahoma and my power steering hose had a leak in it about 4 months ago. (actually looked like a gash but nothing touched it so just had to be bad hose or pressure build up?) don't know why or how it happened, just did. had to replace it on my own.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will the P/S fluid be fully flushed or just refilled of whatever leaks out?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by em199si
Will the P/S fluid be fully flushed or just refilled of whatever leaks out?
It sounds like it will be completely drained and filled.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:08 PM
8th Gear

Acura Customer Care Number

If you have additional questions you can call the Acura Care hotline at 1.800.382.2238

I called yesterday and they told me that they are still in the process of compiling the appropriate vin numbers and will contact those owners that apply for the recall. He also said for me to phone back at or around the end of May as this is the time when Acura will be handling the repairs.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Cruisin'

I'm surprised to hear about this. Thanks for the updates! Hope I can get in quick at the dealership with a 07 cause you said they are starting with the earlier models.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I probably missed this information here, I just tried reading all of this as quick as possible. I know it said they'll contact us, but is there an order for which tsx's will get recalled first? 04 then 05, 06 so fourth? I know that was the case with my moms Odyssey, the vehicle got recalled in march and they won't be taking the car for another month at least.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 AM
Instructor

Oh yeah 04 baby I got dibs...hope they do a drain/fill on the ps fluid
Old 05-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Proud Acura Owner

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Ck98vteC
Oh yeah 04 baby I got dibs...hope they do a drain/fill on the ps fluid
same here man.. i am actually excited about this recall.. Free Power Steering Fluid flush and new pipes? why not?
Old 05-02-2010, 10:14 AM
TSXmeister

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for info/update....I'll be waiting for their notification to bring my car in.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I did end up doing one at work yesterday. And it's def easier then the TLs, as I expected. It can be done totally from the top of the vehicle, and doesn't take too long. Should be able to get it down to where I'm making a little money on them, seeing as they pay .6 . And yes, as long as the tech is doing the whole thing, you will get the fluid totally flushed out. It'll be pretty easy to tell if they didn't, as the fluid will be dark and dirty.

Some of you guys make me laugh, you're really excited about this! But I totally see your reasoning and can agree with you on it.

And yes, again, as it stands now, 04s will be first, and then so on up til the 08s, in regards to who gets notifications first. Things could change, and as usual, I'll keep everyone posted if anything does change.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by acuratech239
Well technically since it's a recall, they can't give you any problems in regards to mods to your car. Sure, if it's slammed, the tech might be cursing getting your car onto the lift (been there, done that), but otherwise, the recall itself, if it's anything like the TLs and RLs, is pretty straight foward.

A recall is for life. It could be twenty years, and if the campaign is still open for the car (meaning not completed for the specific vehcile), it has to be done (again, see below the exceptions I wrote about). That being said, every once and awhile we still get a CL in that needs the ignition switch recall (over 10 years since that came out).

What do you mean when you say "if the campaign is still open for the car (meaning not completed for the specific vehicle)" ? Does this mean every car owner has to check into the dealer before the campaign is closed? Or does it mean after a certain number or years, the campain will be closed by Acura Headquarters regardless of whether every single owner has checked it to complete the work. Or does it mean something else?

Thanks for info.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
What do you mean when you say "if the campaign is still open for the car (meaning not completed for the specific vehicle)" ? Does this mean every car owner has to check into the dealer before the campaign is closed? Or does it mean after a certain number or years, the campain will be closed by Acura Headquarters regardless of whether every single owner has checked it to complete the work. Or does it mean something else?

Thanks for info.
I had a feeling I didn't make this clear enough, and had even changed my original post after I wrote it. Sorry about that. What I was trying to say was, a recall campaign is open for the life of the car, be it one year or 20 years. what I was trying to say is if the recall has been completed or not. And by that, is what I meant when I stated if the campaign is open for the specific car, as in was it already completed.

Anytime there is a recall, Acura sends out notifications to the last owner on record. If you ever read the notices in detail, you'll notice it mentions "our records show you are the current owner of a 200X TSX. If you feel you have received this notice in error...blah blah blah". Basically if you sold the car to someone else, and Acura doens't know, you can (and should) update them with the info of the current owner. Otherwise, when the current owner stops in at the dealership, if they even do (because I know a lot of you on here hate us at the stealerships ), the service writer should do a VIN status inquiry on each vehicle that comes in, which will bring up any recalls/campaigns, and if they have been completed, a "C" is present next to them. And if it's not, it's still open (not completed).

Bottom line, a recall never expires (see original post for exceptions) due to time, etc.

On a side note, I did two more of these on more used cars in stock yesterday, and got them both down to .4 . This is of course doing the entire recall, not skipping the flush, etc (see the TL recall thread(s) about techs skipping the orange o-ring replacement). The trick was getting the technique down for getting the hose out (you don't have to actually remove the heat shield, rather just remove one bolt, and loosen another). I don't think there's much more to perfect on my process, or at least not enough to get it down to .3 . But who knows, maybe I'll figure something new out in the recalls to come
Old 05-04-2010, 06:59 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That being said, every once and awhile we still get a CL in that needs the ignition switch recall (over 10 years since that came out).
Ha..that reminded me of the one for my mom's Accord. The dealership wouldn't re-splice our after market car alarm because if it. I give great respect for Honda's documentation team (although sometimes they take things for granted) because it was simple to change myself. Once I was able to compare the new one with the old one I spliced and hooked up everything just like before. This was one of those jobs I thought I would have really messed up but it wasn't that bad.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:35 PM
7th Gear

Headlight recall?

Didn't think the TSXs would have anymore recalls, after the headlight one.
There was a recall and the headlights? The only one i remember was for the trunk?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Originally Posted by TSX_Sue
There was a recall and the headlights? The only one i remember was for the trunk?
The recall for the headlights is an inspection, and then installation of four metal clips, two on each headlight, on the top. Do a quick search, you should be able to pull it up. Normally I would link it for you but I'm in a bit of a rush this morning, sorry!
Old 05-05-2010, 01:58 PM
7th Gear

Thanks, I found it online... it says if you are past the warranty you could be eligible for goodwill consideration... You must request consideration before you start work? Will this be a big deal?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Instructor

it doesnt matter if your car is 1 mile over warranty or 1,000,000 miles over warranty..every vehicle in the US is covered

also, there is no statute of limitations. if you came into the shop 5 years from now and said hey i never got this done they would still have to do it for free
Old 05-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I called Courtesy Acura in sanford, fl last week and they told me they weren't aware of the recall and just got my name and number down and said they will call me if they find out on info about it.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
8th Gear

The recall for the headlights is an inspection, and then installation of four metal clips, two on each headlight, on the top. Do a quick search, you should be able to pull it up. Normally I would link it for you but I'm in a bit of a rush this morning, sorry!
It's bulletin # B07-016

don't know where to link to, but i have it on my desktop. I was going to ask the dealership about it when i go get my oil changed and have the new recall fixed.

It'd be pretty sweet if i got new headlights out of it... the ones i have right now are all burnt...
Old 05-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Ok guys, here it is from Honda.com:

Statement by Acura Regarding TSX Recall

April 29 2010

Acura today announced a recall of approximately 167,000 Acura TSX vehicles to replace a power steering hose. Affected TSX vehicles are 2004-2008 models sold in the United States with the 2.4L inline 4-cylinder engine. The repair involves installing a new power steering hose, o-ring gasket and fluid-- all done at no cost to the vehicle owner.
The recall is being conducted due to the potential for premature deterioration of the exterior surface of the hose as a result of prolonged exposure to high under-hood temperatures. In the event of excessive deterioration, a crack in the hose could develop, which could allow power steering fluid to leak or spray on a hot exhaust component potentially generating smoke or a fire. Acura has only received notice of one incident resulting in a fire.
Owners of affected vehicles will be informed by mail starting at the end of May. In addition, TSX owners can go to owners.acura.com/recalls or may call (800) 382-2238 for more information.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Intermediate

Got the recall done today, luckily the dealer by my work had the kit so I had my car finish the same day. Got to drive the 09' TL as a loaner,not bad. They called me 4 hours later and told me the car was done. Guess what guys? I checked under the hood and they steamed cleaned my whole engine for me! Yays/
Old 05-06-2010, 11:47 PM
9th Gear

I got my done today, just for precaution.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 4cyl of thunder
I got my done today, just for precaution.
4cyl of Thunder, what dealership did you get it done? Cerritos Acura is still waiting for parts. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Just got an e-mail from my SA indicating that he has the part for me. I'll be taking it in next Thursday with a loaner as well!
Old 05-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Latest update, this one in regards to parts:

Date: May 5, 2010

To: All Acura Sales, Service & Parts Managers

Re:Campaign: 2004~08 TSX Power Steering Hose Leak Recall – Parts Allocation

In support of the recently announced TSX Power Steering Hose Leak Recall Campaign, American Honda has made two allocations (first one on April 30th followed by one on May 5th) of the part listed below. Automatic part allocations will continue until further notice.

Campaign Type:
Safety Recall

Service Bulletin:
To be posted 5/11/10

Affected Vehicles:
All 2004-08 TSXs

Customer Notification:
To begin late May 2010

Parts Allocation Information

Description KIT,P/S FEED HOSE
P/N 06530-SEC-A00
D/N $110.00
S/R $183.33

Allocation Coverage:
Automatic part allocations will continue until further notice. Each dealer will receive a percentage of parts based on the number of sold units.

Parts Status:
Additional parts are currently not available for dealer ordering. Notification will be made when parts are available for ordering. Until Service Bulletin is posted, for inspection / repair instructions, please reference iN message that was posted on April 30th.

If you have any questions, please contact the Dealer Analyst group at your assigned Parts Center.

Thank you,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Parts Operations
NG/im

Sorry again that the format is all screwy This one was another email, so it's formatted with some excel type stuff for the P/Ns, etc. I just quickly made it a bit easier to read. That being said, our dealership still doesn't have a parts stock for any customer vehicles, only the used ones. Should be getting some in soon, as you can see from the above info.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Acuratech, thanks for all the info and the follow up!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Good to know. My local Canadian dealer thinks I'm crazy. He wanted to flush my PS fluid. I said I'd wait till I hear about the recall... "What recall? There is nothing, and I'm sure I would know about it. And that'll be $999999999 done by 2pm"
Old 05-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
My SA called today to tell me my A/C relay is finally in, scheduled an appointment for Friday. He also mentioned the power steering hose recall and said unfortunately they don't have any parts in yet, but to let him know when I get the letter. Would have been nice to get both done with one visit. I'm spending too much time at the shop this spring.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:04 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Sweet...a free PS fluid change at just the right time...no turkey baster for me!
Old 05-13-2010, 06:21 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm glad the dealer is about 1.5 mi. from the house. As soon as I get the notice, I will set the appointment when I can get a loaner.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Acura Cert MASTER TECH

Hey all this'll be a quick post because my internet has been sketchy lately and I'm just happy it's working right now.

The official recall bulletin is out. #10-010. Has full info regarding procedure for replacement, warranty claim info, customer mailing letter, etc. It actually came out Tuesday, but as said, my internet has been hit and miss, so this is my first chance to get on here.

That said, I can't get the link to work for you guys. This happens to me all the time when I try and post links for stuff like this. I think it's because I access the info through ISIS (Honda's network), and it has some type of security, and therefore when I attempt to open the hyperlink after pasting it for you guys, it'll just say done, even though nothing is present/visible. Sorry guys (You think I would be able to figure it out, and I have tried modifying the address before...) I'll see what I can do, and like I said, I'm on a limited time frame right now anyway.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Advanced

Just got the recall done this morning. I went immediately back to work, so I haven't gotten a chance to pop the hood yet. Per the invoice, they replaced the hose and the PS fluid.

Also got a brake fluid replacement - $115 for labor. Don't want to get the thread off-track, but is there any reason why it would take an hour to replace the brake fluid? I realize that everything is more expensive at the dealer, and I understand that, but this seems excessive.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Cruisin'

i had my oil changed about 2-3 weeks ago. they said my ps fluid was dirty and wanted me to replace it. Good thing i opted not to do it....now i can get it for free. They probably knew about this recall and wanted to screw me over or something.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mods...Shouldn't this recall be posted in the TSBs, Recalls, and Other Known Issues thread? Thanks....
Old 05-17-2010, 09:27 PM
8th Gear

Thanks for the additional info Acuratech.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ugh! I just spoke with Acura Customer Care, and I was informed that I'll still have to take my car into the dealer to have the repair "approved" by them.

(A little bkgrd.): About six or eight months ago, I noticed a hose leaking fluid under my engine. I was new to DIY, so I had no clue. Helpful Azine folks showed me that it was the P.S. hose. It had leaked all down the ex. manifold, and a little had made its way to the onto the cat. converter. What a mess. Well, I tried a clamp, leak-stopping fluid with parrafin, and JB Weld. Nothing worked. So I did my homework and discovered (and shared with the boards) that a Honda P.S. hose would fit my car and cost $100 less. So I bought the hose, the o-ring, the P.S. fluid, and a couple of tools and replaced the damned thing myself. Yay for me.

Now that there is a recall (damned late, if you ask me), I cannot just be reimbursed for the parts (labor?), tools, fluid, etc. I have to take it to the dealer, drop it off, wait for their inspection, (I can only imagine it'll be rejected, since it's a Honda Accord P.S. hose), and then I won't get my $ back

Or if it by some miracle my repair is "blessed," I have to gather all my receipts, submit them to a "case manager" and they'll "review" them, says the Acura 1-800 # rep.

This sucks.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Racer

I actually just got off the phone with my dealer to schedule an oil change and he told me there was a recall on the power steering hose. Thought it was weird I hadn't received a mailer yet but it looks like your message says those aren't going out till May 30th. Works out nicely for me since now I can get a loaner car to drive around in for a few hours. It's always nice to know someone actually takes the initiative and lets you know about something instead of waiting for me to call and schedule it.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:55 PM
10th Gear

I scheduled an appointment tomarrow.

I wonder though...will the Acura techs also do a overall check on the car for free?

I only ask because Im about to go on a cross country trip from Seattle to Nashville.
Actually, what are should I do and check before this +2500 mile trip.
FYI: It takes 40 hrs.

Appreciate the help~
Old 05-27-2010, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ka24cl7
I scheduled an appointment tomarrow.

I wonder though...will the Acura techs also do a overall check on the car for free?

I only ask because Im about to go on a cross country trip from Seattle to Nashville.
Actually, what are should I do and check before this +2500 mile trip.
FYI: It takes 40 hrs.

Appreciate the help~
If the techs follow the procedure and don't cut any corners then consider yourself lucky. My guess is the average tech doesn't use a torque wrench on most bolts. The chances of them checking anything unrelated to the PS hose is very slim, but you might ask them if they will check a few things as a courtesy.

2500 miles isn't that long of a trip, but you should have relatively fresh oil. Fresh enough at least that you can enjoy your trip and not have to be concerned with an oil change until you get back.

Also check:

Tire pressure (check the spare too and make sure you have tools to change a flat)
Fluids (antifreeze, washer fluid, oil level, brake fluid level, etc.)
Battery terminals free of excessive corrosion
Lights- No burned out bulbs; signals work

I always carry:

Jumper cables
Tow strap
1 gallon purified water (can be used as coolant or drinking water)
1 quart of oil

Quick Reply: Stop sale/recall on 04-08 TSXs - Power steering hose leak