I've developed a program to modify the navigation system in Acura/Hondas.
The actual navigation system is in Windows CE running a SH-4 processor, similar to a Sega Dreamcast (if not identical). I just bought my TSX about 2 days ago, but luckily I had a lot of experience hacking the Dreamcast so it didnt take me very long to hack the navigation system.
Here is the link to the program including there Visual C++ source code:
This is the ReadMe contained in the zip, it includes step by step instructions on how to use the program:
DumpNAVI by bysin
This program is used to list, extract, and modify files contained in an XIP BIN file located on Acura/Honda navigation DVD. This system has been tested on the TSX. Use at your own risk.
Some of the things I have been able to modify are:
- Changed the background picture to my own personal image.
- Removed the "nag screen" at the beginning screen.
- Change some of the words that pop up.
Here are some step-by-step instructions on how to modify files in your navigation system. It requires a DVD-ROM drive and a CD or DVD burner.
1. At the main screen of the navigation system, hold down the Map/Guide, Menu, and Cancel buttons for 5 seconds.
2. Hit the "Version" button on the touch screen.
3. Hold down the Menu button for 5 seconds.
4. Write down the filename next to the words "Loading Filename" (ex. BNHN404A.BIN).
5. Open your trunk and find the DVD player attached to the navigation system.
6. Push down the front plate and eject the Navigation DVD-ROM.
7. Place the DVD in your computer and copy all 9 BIN files onto your hard drive (should be around 104 MB), this includes:
8. Use the dumpnavi tool to extract the files on the BIN file that was on your car, ex:
dumpnavi BNHN404A.BIN extract
9. The files will extract to the directory associated with the name of the file.
10. After modifying the files, use the dumpnavi tool to update them to the BIN, ex:
dumpnavi BNHN404A.BIN update Back.bmp
dumpnavi BNHN404A.BIN update navi.exe navi-nonag.exe
dumpnavi BNHN404A.BIN update Diag.exe
11. Copy the modified BIN file, including all other BIN files (9 in total) to a blank CD or DVD.
12. Insert the origional navigation DVD back into the DVD-ROM in your car.
13. Start the car normally, and at the main navigation screen hold Map/Guide, Menu, and Cancel for 5 seconds once again.
14. Hit the "Version" button on the touch screen once again.
15. Take the origional navigation DVD out of the car, and replace it with the CD/DVD you just created.
16. Hit the "Load Disc" button on the Version screen.
17. It should take about 20 seconds for your car to load the new BIN and reboot. Once that happens, take out your burned CD/DVD and put back the origional navigation DVD.
18. If anything goes wrong, remove the ground to the battery for 30 seconds with the origional DVD in the car. The old OS will load back on the system.