HFL (Bluetooth) module location and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HFL (Bluetooth) module location and replacement

Hello all -

Have an '06 TSX and the hands-free stopped working. Dealer wants $1K to fix it so I was going to replace the stereo. However, this weekend the battery died out of the blue after not driving for a couple days.

Some looking around on here got me to realize it is likely the HFL module that has an open circuit and is the drain on the battery. Couple questions....

1) Where is the module? Haven't seen anything about the location on the TSX but it is in the overhead console on the TL. Took out the two screws under the sunglasses storage area but I am guessing there is more too it for removing the unit.

2) Where can I purchase a new module? Looked around at the sites shown for the TL and didn't see the TSX module listed.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:35 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hmm from what i recall i'm pretty sure its on the passenger side up front - kick panel.

you'll see a box with green plugs and a bluetooth logo on it.

about how many days did you not drive it for?
The following users liked this post:
hbhaas (08-12-2014)
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 AM
Midnight Marauder

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
I'm having the same issue, I can't seem to find out where exactly the module is located, does anybody have a diagram or pic that may help?
Old 03-09-2014, 01:50 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwong77
I'm having the same issue, I can't seem to find out where exactly the module is located, does anybody have a diagram or pic that may help?
Anyone??? I also need to replace my unit.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Johnson8537
Anyone??? I also need to replace my unit.
The unit is located in the passenger kick panel. SUPER EASY install only a 10mm wrench needed.

About 20 mins TOPS (I did mine in under 10.)

HFL (Bluetooth) module location and replacement-gjoaip6.jpg

HFL (Bluetooth) module location and replacement-rqevast.jpg

Last edited by Johnson8537; 03-11-2014 at 09:28 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Johnson8537:
bigdaddyj (03-22-2014), hbhaas (08-12-2014), jwong77 (01-17-2015), sdwilliams507 (09-23-2014), Zephrem (08-28-2016)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'll 2nd that. That's exactly where it's located on a 06. I had read other posts about being located in the roof console but it's not. Maybe a 10 min swap. I pulled the cover underneath the glove box to give me more room to get to the top bolt.
The following 2 users liked this post by Firering:
hbhaas (08-12-2014), Zephrem (08-28-2016)
Old 03-22-2014, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

I just bought an '06 w/ nav a few days ago and came to the conclusion after running the diagnostic check and seeing the HFL fail that mine was bad. The previous owner had commented about the battery dying recently as well and it had a brand new battery.

It would appear I was wrong however.

In the interest of giving some hope to someone reading this who may be going thru the same frustrations, I found the HFL unit (in the location shown above, ty) and did the following:

1. unplugged that main connector (green)
2. took off the cover to the unit
3. pulled out the small circuit board on top that plugs in to the main module (white connector).
4. blew on them like it was a nintendo cartridge.
5. put them back together and did a new diagnostic check.
6. Everything now passed!

So hope that helps someone somewhere.
The following 5 users liked this post by bigdaddyj:
fast1 (01-01-2015), jwong77 (12-21-2014), santoslilelpair (01-15-2015), sdwilliams507 (09-23-2014), tsxingaround (03-02-2015)
Old 09-23-2014, 03:59 PM
1st Gear

06 TSX- HFL disconnect

Hey guys, I been reading the posts, and ive been having similar issues, am I correct that after i unplug the green plug from that bluetooth box that- that is all I have to do to disconnect the bluetooth so it wont drain my battery anymore?

I brought a new batter in Aug, and since then I have had to have a jump start 3 times. I had the system tested and it came back that the battery is fine, and the alternator is fine, so i was wondering if this system was draining the battery after i read the posts, (back story .... my HFL stopped in june, but i didnt think anything of it.)

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 TSX HFL not pairing

Originally Posted by bigdaddyj
I just bought an '06 w/ nav a few days ago and came to the conclusion after running the diagnostic check and seeing the HFL fail that mine was bad. The previous owner had commented about the battery dying recently as well and it had a brand new battery.

In the interest of giving some hope to someone reading this who may be going thru the same frustrations, I found the HFL unit (in the location shown above, ty) and did the following:

3. pulled out the small circuit board on top that plugs in to the main module (white connector).

Thank you bigdaddy for the solution. This worked perfectly for me, especially step 4...no kidding. My dealer quoted me $2100 to replace the HFL system. They didn't even try to fix the problem. They tried to pair their sample phone, couldn't get them to pair and recommended replacing the HFL system...really helpful (not).

You guys are awesome. Thank you very much.
The following users liked this post:
fast1 (01-01-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 AM
2nd Gear

This is the quick fix solution without spending a dime.

I can not believe that this worked. Forget messing with fuses and all of that nonsense - won't do you any good, I tried all of those tricks first. Then I Took the module out, blew off the BT "cartridge" plugged it in, and BEEP there goes the bluetooth that I have not heard in a year. I definitely am not going to spend $800 on replacement for my '06 TSX. Unfortunately it only seemed to last a short time before dying. I'm guessing there is a capacitor that is blown so the board is shorting itself out once it gets enough charge, but I was able to pair my phone, make calls, etc again. THANKS!!! BTW - I decided to just unplug my unit so the battery would stop dying when I went away for the weekend.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear

Yes, a broken HFL unit will discharge your battery in two nights. Unplug the green wire connector from the unit and no more device to discharge the battery. You can do this on your own.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:26 PM
1st Gear

You must be some kind of wizard. My HFL in my 2006 TSX has been broken for over a year now. Most of the time it just didn't even beep and boot up at all when I press the button, and if it did it *never* paired. After following your advice (I also dropped the circuit board on concrete... be careful pulling those things apart), it works. My phone paired. I called someone over the car bluetooth for the first time in a loong time.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:21 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow i just tried that now and it worked! Thanks bro! My HFL hasn't worked for a few years i just unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked! impressive! thanks again
Old 08-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
So, I confirmed that my dying batteries (3 in 7 years) were probably due to the HFL pulling almost 200 mA when the car was off (car does sit for 2 weeks at a times sometimes) - I unplugged it for now. Does the procedure outlined above fix the battery drain issue or is it just normal for the unit to draw that much?
Old 08-04-2016, 01:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Failing HFL will draw power. Disconnect and fix/ buy a new one or leave it disconnected
Old 08-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Race Director

Received 624 Likes on 503 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Failing HFL will draw power. Disconnect and fix/ buy a new one or leave it disconnected
Mine's not failed, it works fine, it just draws juice when it's not supposed to.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:19 PM
Instructor

A quick thanks to the posters in this thread. Purchased the HFL part through a salvage yard for about $100. 20 minute install and I didn't drop the glove box cover. That's what makes these forums great. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2016, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Under glove box cover removal

I have a similar dying-HFL module issue. Pulled off the footwell cover, did an unplug then replug. Worked briefly, then stopped again. Next up are the blow on circuit board, then remelt solder in oven tricks. However they require removal of the module.

Can someone provide a detailed description (with pictures would be better) on how to remove the cover underneath the glove box? Seems like that is needed to get to the upper bolt(s) of the HFL. I'm not sure if I ask my Acura dealer to do that during my next service visit, if will

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 02-08-2017, 02:42 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Bump. Where can we access the diagnostic test for the HFL?
Old 03-09-2019, 06:44 AM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
Bump. Where can we access the diagnostic test for the HFL?
I know it's an old bump, but I'm troubleshooting the HFL/BT functionality as well. If you have navi, you can press the following keys to get to a service menu: map/guide + menu + cancel and the system screen will come up. On the service menu, press Navi System (or something like that) to get a component diagram, which should show all green modules navi, radio, hfl, etc).

My question is are the HFL and Bluetooth functions two separate components/modules? Meaning, if the voice commands work for navi and A/C etc, but the Bluetooth connectivity (pairing timeout) doesn't work, is it a Bluetooth module issue? Or are the BT and HFL the same module, and the BT components inside faulty? BTW I have no battery drain that I can tell.

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

+1 on the wizardry.

My HFL has not paired for years and on a whim I researched it today.

I was not able to remove the unit completely as the top 10mm bolt was hard to access, but I was able to remove the bottom green connector and spray the unit with compressed air. Plugged it together and now it paired right away. Thanks!