Decision Time on my 2004 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:13 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Decision Time on my 2004 TSX

I've had nothing but great times in my 2004 TSX w/Navi. I have babied the thing since day 1, done all scheduled maintenance, 2x wax per year and still to this day get compliments on how it looks new, nearly 12 years later at 140,500 miles. The interior is immaculate. The dealership has also commented on this, as has every person who gets in and even the tire guy at Discount Tires. It's truly been exceptionally cared for.

I still look back at this car when I walk away and always happy to get inside and drive.

To this point I have avoided every major issue the car was known for until maybe yesterday. I started the car after a day at the beach and noticed some puttering under the hood. Assuming it had to be someone else nearby I drove off. About 10 minutes later the AC went from cold to warm.

A year ago I had this same issue and a relay was replaced and the problem was solved. Now, I'm thinking it might be more serious due to age and the history the 2004 model year has had with AC.

Taking it in Friday and expecting the worst which would be a 2-3k repair from what I have read here if the system is in fact shot. To be expected I suppose at 12 years old.

It is disheartening as I was hoping and kind of expecting it would go 200-250K given how well it has been maintained and that it drives as good as the day I got it.

So if the repair is my worst fear I am faced with a choice. Fix and keep going for 2-3 more years or decide to hug the car and shed a tear and walk away in favor of a 2015 TLX.

The way I see it, if I put the money in, I am committing to taking it to worthless. I very much like the car and no tradeoff in doing that. But as of today I can still get some value out of it if I say goodbye and then drive a new TLX for 10-12 years.

What makes it hard is that the AC is not a mechanical issue so the car may go on for a long time. Then again, it is nearly 12 years old and 141k.

What would you do in this situation? I can comfortably fix or buy new.

Last edited by illinimatt81; 07-27-2015 at 01:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
benjaminh (07-29-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 01:33 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
I'd find out what's wrong first. Then drive a TLX and decide whether paying $35k+ is worth the driving experience improvement.

From a practical standpoint, its obviously cheaper and wiser to have your TSX fixed and drive it for another 100k.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roland_bluntzs
i'd find out what's wrong first. Then drive a tlx and decide whether paying $35k+ is worth the driving experience improvement.

From a practical standpoint, its obviously cheaper and wiser to have your tsx fixed and drive it for another 100k.
+1.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Roland_Bluntzs
I'd find out what's wrong first. Then drive a TLX and decide whether paying $35k+ is worth the driving experience improvement.

From a practical standpoint, its obviously cheaper and wiser to have your TSX fixed and drive it for another 100k.
That's what I am thinking, just trying to be made up when I get the news so I can decide given different outcomes so I don't make an emotional decision, but a rational one!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I would fix the TSX rather then buy a TLX.... That's me though.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:21 PM
Instructor

Then drive a TLX and decide whether paying $35k+ is worth the driving experience improvement.

I had the TLX in March for a day as a loaner when I had my rotors replaced (original!) and I really enjoyed it, much more than the later gen TSX that had an interior that started to resemble a spaceship.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flipster23
I would fix the TSX rather then buy a TLX.... That's me though.
I'm trying to gauge what else I might be in for as a near certainty. Acuras are so reliable you just don't know. Other than the water pump and alternator at some point hard to say. I've heard of those going a very long time. I asked the dealership about pre-emptive on those and they advised against it stating they can run well over 200k in their experience, unless driven very hard.

Reading through all of the threads here, it is quite possible I get several more trouble free years. I worry more about age than miles.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The AC died on my 2004 Acura TSX in June 2013 (~134k miles). The AC clutch and stator (solenoid) were worn out, which considering our cars have automatic climate control (cycling the AC on/off repeatedly to hold a set temperature) does not seam unreasonable.

Acura dealership wanted to replace the entire AC system for ~$2100. I brought my car to a trusted independent mechanic, who only replaced AC clutch, stator, and replaced the freon with Acura parts for $600-$700. I have ~172k miles and my car blows ice cold AC. If your AC lasted until 140k, I would bet dollars to doughnuts you didn't have the catastrophic AC failure some have experienced.

Please let us know your car's suspected prognosis.

PS. I'm also on the side of keeping your current TSX until the wheels fall off, which considering how well you've maintained it, could be a long time
Old 07-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Instructor

I'll get the diagnosis Friday. I posted a video of what is going on in another thread, see: https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...-video-934214/

My dealer is McGrath Acura Westmont (Chicago Area) and they have been nothing but helpful and always fight on behalf of their customers. They have replaced things that should not have gone out (minor stuff like circuit control board for dash lights, door actuators, etc) for minimal labor costs and thrown in the parts for free. With the last AC issue they suggested it might be the relay and it was. Part was free, charged 30 minutes labor.

I'm in agreement that if something was going to fail with the system catastrophically it would have by now. I actually don't stress the system too hard. I often drive with the windows down out of enjoyment and if it gets excessively hot I turn the AC to a fairly warm temp or forgo on short trips in town to not stress the car due to age.

I did hear some subtle noise under the hood before the AC started blowing warm but it may have been something else nearby.

The car is beautiful. I have put in the time and care into the exterior and interior and serviced it at all the intervals. It literally drives as good as the day I got it.

I think I am going to keep going regardless of what they tell me Friday.

This song summarizes how I feel about the car:
benjaminh (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 03:26 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Good song. And touching your fondness for this car. My guess is that a good case can be made both ways.

A new TLX will get better mpg, will be much safer, will be faster, and will have a lot of comfort, convenience, and tech that your TSX couldn't dream of. Perhaps worth a test drive?

But kudos to you for caring so well for your car. At that age and mileage you'll probably be looking at some more repairs down the road, but you might well make it to 200k.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:40 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Have you thought about keeping the TSX as a 2nd vehicle or fall/winter/early spring vehicle? It is always nice to have a 2nd vehicle around if you have the space for it. I've saved my 06 TSX as the first H.S. car for my kid. The TSX was a much better car compared to anything else I could have purchased for the same amount of $$$ and mileage. It only took him 2 weeks after getting the TSX before he rear ended someone at a stop light causing $6500 worth of damage to the TSX (so glad I kept full coverage). Got it fixed and he has been 100% since then.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Don't quit on your car over one hiccup. Fix the AC and drive it for 5 more years. There is still a lot of car left.
TLX isn't that much better other than it is "Trouble-free" for a few year.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Just got back from a week long vacation so finally have a moment to reply and update what I decided.

I took the car in on July 31 and after it was diagnosed it was determined that the compressor clutch coil had failed. They recommended that I also replace the compressor as well as it is difficult to just replace the coil and also due to age. They suggested that given the age of the car and how it is not a critical mechanical component that I go aftermarket and use Napa parts instead of OEM to save $700. They said Napa parts for this job have served other customers well.

I replaced both the clutch coil and compressor.

Final total out the door (with an oil change) was $1,100 with a 10% loyalty discount. Fixing the car was a no brainier.

We're back in business!

Thank you to everyone who chimed in. I felt good being prepared for all scenarios and completely understood what was explained to me (and likely what the final diagnosis was going to be) from this forum.

I had a 2015 TLX V6 Advance Package as a loaner. As much as I like the car, it still isn't as quick on it's feet and doesn't feel as light and nimble as my TSX. There seemed to be a half second delay from punching the pedal down to getting a reaction from the car. I've driven the V6 Tech and V4 Tech TLX models in the past and they are all very different in how they drive.

I put myself through the new car test and slept on it and got it out of my system. TSX still wins.

It remains on the short list, but I think at least 2-3 more years on the TSX.

Last edited by illinimatt81; 08-10-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:11 AM
10th Gear

Keep your baby. You're going to regret getting the US made TLX. To me, the TSX is the last bread of reliable and good looking Acuras before it went to corporate poo poo. The TLX doesn't have tailpipes... you know what else doesn't... a Prius.
rhannahs19 (10-28-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ka24cl7
Keep your baby. You're going to regret getting the US made TLX. To me, the TSX is the last bread of reliable and good looking Acuras before it went to corporate poo poo. The TLX doesn't have tailpipes... you know what else doesn't... a Prius.
You are right, part of why I love the car is I bought it when it was on the barge from Japan. 100% built in Japan. Having things assembled here is a negative towards quality, IMO
Old 08-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,163 Likes on 874 Posts
Originally Posted by illinimatt81
You are right, part of why I love the car is I bought it when it was on the barge from Japan. 100% built in Japan. Having things assembled here is a negative towards quality, IMO
Civics have been assembled in Ohio for some time now. The EP3 was assembled in ENGLAND!!!! And it still managed to run without bursting into flames.

Manufacturing layout and processes have a big impact on quality, regardless of country of assembly.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Civics have been assembled in Ohio for some time now. The EP3 was assembled in ENGLAND!!!! And it still managed to run without bursting into flames.

Manufacturing layout and processes have a big impact on quality, regardless of country of assembly.
True, and there is little evidence that US Assembled Honda products are any inferior to Japan ones. I doubt corporate Honda would tolerate any lower standards.

Still, IMO the best mechanical and electronic stuff is designed and built in Japan. The one exception I give is to my Trek Madone Roadbike. Handcrafted Carbon Fiber built in Wisconsin, but has Japanese components!
Old 08-24-2015, 04:57 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by illinimatt81
True, and there is little evidence that US Assembled Honda products are any inferior to Japan ones. I doubt corporate Honda would tolerate any lower standards.

Still, IMO the best mechanical and electronic stuff is designed and built in Japan. The one exception I give is to my Trek Madone Roadbike. Handcrafted Carbon Fiber built in Wisconsin, but has Japanese components!

illinimatt81:

Glad you kept your car. It seems you really like your car. I think you should post your experiences with your car to the following TSX blog:

tsxtravels.com
Old 09-01-2015, 06:27 PM
5th Gear

glad you decided to keep your baby. I love my 04 and it's been a good work horse car to me. Can't say my interior is as clean as yours though I practically live out of it with a 3 hour commute

My baby is nearing 200k miles and the only major repair I've had to do was just the alternator giving out at 190k miles. Seriously though, the repair costs on this car is so cheap its a no brainer to keep it. Alternator ran me $320 as an oem part and the labor $120, $440 I'm back on the road. I could've saved money by doing it myself, but car was far from home when the warning light came on.

Here's to a couple 100k more out of yours!
illinimatt81 (09-21-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 12:47 PM
4th Gear

Wise Decision

I think you made a wise decision too. My wife was recently in an accident with our 08 TSX, thought it was time for a change, but since she's transitioning to real estate we needed the mpg's and above average appear of the car to meet with many clients so we fixed the car.

In her line of business or any business it's important that you make a good impression.
illinimatt81 (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Just about to put the fall wax on it for the winter. Going to at least take it to 200K. Although, it seems that short of something catastrophic it doesn't make sense to ever let this car go at that point either.

I am following tsxtravels.com. Will be interesting to see if Acura puts on an event in Torrence, CA for the TSX hitting 500k like they did for the guy with the Legend.

I just had another "is that a new car" compliment yesterday and I have to show the odometer to people to believe me that it isn't!
Old 09-22-2015, 12:37 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, just to put things into perspective...

2-3K fix for a car that can run another 100K miles easily (based on your total miles and how many years you had the car, you'll have another 8-10 years)

If you decide on the 2015 TLX PAWS, they're doing a deal for $2000 down/268 per month which comes out $344 per month for 36 months, LEASE. Honda doesn't do pure price like Toyota (automatic $250 for a base TC non negotiable roflroflrofl), so you could probably negotiate it for lower (also considering TLX isn't that sought after and theres plenty if you look at the lots lol) Financing to own however is a totally different deal so won't even get into that, but if your intent is to buy, just keep the damn vehicle and pay the 3K for the AC lol.

If you decide to lease and can afford the payments, then it would comes down to personal preferences such as wanting to drive a brand new vehicle.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Glad to hear you decided to keep the TSX. (I drove the TLX and feel the same way.)

BTW, go Illini! (Fellow grad)
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Original owner of an 04 here - I love this car even after almost 200k and I plan to keep driving!
Old 01-03-2016, 07:41 PM
version 2019

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LOL we have the same car.

Did you clean the engine bay ? looks so clean

Last edited by cherubino; 01-03-2016 at 07:49 PM.