2005 TSX flickering Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:04 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 TSX flickering Headlight

So lately my driver side OEM Hid headlight has been flickering and then sometimes shuts off. If i turn it off and back on it usually works for a while. This week it got much worse so figured i better fix it.

I didn't want to throw money at it so i tried to narrow it down. First i swapped the driver side bulb with passenger, but same side still flickered.

Then i swapped the igniters and same thing. Then finally i swapped both ballasts and the flickering still stayed on the driver side.

I am running out of ideas, so i looked at the fuses under the hood. I pulled the driver side low and the light went off as expected, but then the passenger side started to flicker. Now i am totally confused.

Anyone have any ideas???
Old 10-10-2015, 02:24 PM
5th Gear

anyone have an ideas? i am almost thinking it could be a ground somewhere. The little ground is connected to the back of the inside of the headlight, but does anyone know where the ground connect to the chassis?
Old 10-11-2015, 12:36 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
You can check the ground by supplying a grounding wire straight from the battery.

Did you check the head lamp relays?

You can bypass the H L relay by supplying a hot straight from the battery to the H L fuse. The fuse has two sides, one side will power the light the other will not.

After supplying both power and ground. If lamp stops flickering then the relay is bad.

BTW... It appears that you might have multiple part failures on the same side originally. Thats why the good side is now flickering too. Thats bc you switch defective part(s) from the defective side to the good side. Now causing the good side to flicker.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:04 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 01acls
You can check the ground by supplying a grounding wire straight from the battery.

Did you check the head lamp relays?

You can bypass the H L relay by supplying a hot straight from the battery to the H L fuse. The fuse has two sides, one side will power the light the other will not.

After supplying both power and ground. If lamp stops flickering then the relay is bad.

BTW... It appears that you might have multiple part failures on the same side originally. Thats why the good side is now flickering too. Thats bc you switch defective part(s) from the defective side to the good side. Now causing the good side to flicker.

Where is the relay located? i checked the fuses and they were fine but didnt know there was a relay also.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Drifting

I do not know where the H L relay is on a TSX. Perhaps someone can assist here?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:02 PM
10th Gear

Smile Same issues

Hello,
I am new here...
I had the some problem with my 2004 I have been told that hid lights are so temperamental. I actually had after market headlights that came with the car when I bought it. They were horrible and I ended up getting use factory ones. They still didn't work so I switched out parts between the two of them and some how I got them to work. What suck now is that my fog lights are wired into my fuse box to lights and now they don't work. But this stopped working about two months after I fixed the headlight issue. So I don't think it has to do with the fuse's.. but I could be wrong. Any insight would be helpful. also I would like to try to open a new forum so I can ask a question to the community about an engine issue im having.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobert78
Where is the relay located? i checked the fuses and they were fine but didnt know there was a relay also.

You may be able to find the HL relays by feeling and hearing them click when an assistant turns on the headlights. The relays are probably in the under hood fuse box.

I'm thinking it could be the two unmark relays to the right of fuse #21. Listen and/or feel for a click there when turning on the headlights.

You can confirm by pulling one relay and then turning on the headlights. If only one HL turns on then you've found a HL relay. Rinse and repeat.

Another method would be to just start pulling relays and confirming by turning on the HL.

You do not need to run the engine to turn on the headlights.

The following users liked this post:
stizzylita (10-15-2015)
Old 10-14-2015, 11:55 PM
Drifting

^^ HID lights are not temperamental. From a safety stand point headlights are designed with reliability in mind.

People love the three times the light out of the HID lamps and the longer life expectancy vs halogens but for some reason don't want to pay extra for those benefits. They just want to buy a bulb and a relay and call it a day.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:04 AM
10th Gear

Ok! Yea I just want something that works.
Originally Posted by 01acls
^^ HID lights are not temperamental. From a safety stand point headlights are designed with reliability in mind.

People love the three times the light out of the HID lamps and the longer life expectancy vs halogens but for some reason don't want to pay extra for those benefits. They just want to buy a bulb and a relay and call it a day.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:09 AM
10th Gear

[QUOTE=01acls;15582745]You may be able to find the HL relays by feeling and hearing them click when an assistant turns on the headlights. The relays are probably in the under hood fuse box.

I'm thinking it could be the two unmark relays to the right of fuse #21. Listen and/or feel for a click there when turning on the headlights.

You can confirm by pulling one relay and then turning on the headlights. If only one HL turns on then you've found a HL relay. Rinse and repeat.

Another method would be to just start pulling relays and confirming by turning on the HL.

You do not need to run the engine to turn on the headlights.

[/not sure how this works here...
But yes I know where the headlights are located under the fuse box if that what you are talking about? I was referring to my fog lights that I believe were added because there is a wire going from them to the fuse box(hacked)]
Old 10-15-2015, 12:11 AM
10th Gear

I am sorry I am confused on where to write thing and just noticed you were talking to him. lol
Old 10-15-2015, 01:24 AM
Drifting

The fog lights, aftermarket or oem; one side or both not working; fog light switch- is it factory or aftermarket; HID or halogen... etc?

If you are asking for help please give as much detail as possible since we do not have any back ground on your car.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:38 AM
Drifting

Do you have this fog light relay mounted on the driver side firewall/shock tower area somewhere; do you have these oem fog light system parts?

Old 12-08-2015, 07:43 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobert78
So lately my driver side OEM Hid headlight has been flickering and then sometimes shuts off. If i turn it off and back on it usually works for a while. This week it got much worse so figured i better fix it.

I didn't want to throw money at it so i tried to narrow it down. First i swapped the driver side bulb with passenger, but same side still flickered.

Then i swapped the igniters and same thing. Then finally i swapped both ballasts and the flickering still stayed on the driver side.

I am running out of ideas, so i looked at the fuses under the hood. I pulled the driver side low and the light went off as expected, but then the passenger side started to flicker. Now i am totally confused.

Anyone have any ideas???
Try swapping in another set of bulbs if you have them to see if they flicker as well. Mine did the same thing for many months (Osram CBI), and when I replaced them with the stock Osrams to troubleshoot, it went away. The bulbs were only 2 years old or so, so I guess it just happens. I bought another set of Osram CBIs and I've been flicker-free since.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:47 AM
9th Gear

Hoping someone has some insight on this, I'm been wrestling with a similar issue for a few months.
My Pass side Low simply does not turn on.
I've replaced the bulb, igniter, and ballast so far.
Fuses are fine.

I'm really not sure why people (who don't know the electrical wiring of this particular model obviously) keep suggesting the HL Relay.

People:: There is not a HL relay on a 2005 TSX

Ground could be the issue, the user who posted shorting the ground to the batt might be on to something.

Post back if you figure anything out please, as will I.