12 years and 130k miles later

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up 12 years and 130k miles later

Hey guys,

It's been a real long time since I visited this forum. After 12 years and 130k miles later, I had to say good bye to my beloved TSX. It was my first car and I loved the whole journey with it.

To begin with, my car was CG 2005 with Nav. At the time, the interior design was class leading, and I fell in love with the car at first sight. I paid about $28k before tax/fees and total of about $31k OTD.

Throughout 130k years, I had one major issue and a few minor issues. The major issue was the A/C. The compressor stopped working (quite common) and had to be replaced at around 100k miles. Minor issues include passenger side window motor, burned light bulbs for heated seats, clunk noise from steering, and so on. For a 12 year old car with 130k miles, I say the car held up pretty well.

The highs for this car was that the navigation was very intuitive (is still good now). Also the 4 cylinder i-Vtec was always responsive. The MPG was decent. I got a record high of 37mpg on all freeway once on one tank when the car had less than 20k miles. But on average, I did about 23 city and 29 highway.

I had to part with the car because someone rear ended me. It was a sad moment, but I guess the time had to come. TSX was designed so that the rear folds up in layers to mitigate the impact, and which it did. As a consequence, the repair cost was beyond the car value and had to be totaled. At first, the adjuster offered me 7k for it. When I asked for another estimate from an independent source, it got bumped to 10.5k, so I took 10.5k.

In short, this car was a gem. I paid $31k, and got $10.5k back after 12 years and 130k later. For the value I got, I don't think any other car can beat TSX.

That being said, I purchased a MB C300 4Matic. I needed an AWD car with comfort. I test drove TLX before I purchased C300. Honestly, I don't know what Acura has been up to. While TLX looks good and luxurious outside, the interior felt cheap with a lot of plastic parts. Also, the car was very noisy (louder than TSX) while driving. The tech was outdated and the car was far far behind its competitors. I really like Acura, but they need to step up the game.

I wanted to write this review because I feel like I owe it to the community. When I first bought the car, I got so many help from this forum. You guys rock and hope it continues to be a valuable resource to Acura owners.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
awesome review! and sad that Acura isnt making them like they used too. the C300 is a great car!!
happy motoring!!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:44 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
It was great to hear the TSX took care of you for so long. I think car ownership value really goes up the longer you keep them after the last payment. Some folks would have gone through 3-4 cars in the same amount of time. My son ended up having a front end accident in his TSX that also caused about $7000 worth of damage back in 2014. Lucky for me the TSX value was higher than the repair cost to keep it under the total line.

I'm kinda like you and not feeling the current line-up as possible replacements for my current 06 TSX, 08 RDX or 11 MDX when the time comes. I might have to jump ship for while also until Acura gets back to its innovation, tech, and sportiness roots.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:41 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
My '05 6MT is still going strong at 165k. I've always loved tinkering with it and my respect for it was renewed when I started running it in TrackNight (HPDE) events two years ago. I always get compliments at the track.

I agree with your comments about the newer Acura models. The styling department at Honda lost its mind a few years ago, and I've been unimpressed with the various loaners I've driven over the past few years.

Thanks for sharing your experience
Old 03-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couldn't agree more with you on the TLX - feels cheaper more than upclass. I've had a few loaners but I take my '04 Tech 6-speed any day. If only they could cut a incredible owner loyalty deal on an NSX... I'd stick with the brand. Two were sitting in the showroom last time I was in but just a bit outside my affordability range.