Is it the starter, alternator, or battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:23 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it the starter, alternator, or battery?

I have a '98 tl that has been sitting around for about a month now because it just wont turn over. Sometimes it will, but only if you sit there for 30 minutes trying to turn it over (i know this is terrible for my car.. that's why i have just left it sitting). Once I get it to start I can drive it around, get the battery going, and put a full tank of gas in.. it will turn on right away for a week but then it just dies after that week. I'm thinking it's the alternator because the lights dim when I'm driving and there's also a grinding noise when its driving coming from where the alternator is. But, I don't know if that explains why it has a hard time starting. It also clicks when I try to turn it over. I replaced the battery and all of the wires a year ago. I went to a shop with my battery and they said that the battery is low and won't hold a charge (maybe its corroded?)

I really hope it's not the starter because the starter is so hard to get to in this car. I would try the hitting the starter with a hammer but I cant even get to it without removing a panel from the bottom of the car.
When it doesn't start, the headlights and radio work. Also sometimes it tries to start but halfway into starting it stops.

I would really appreciate advice because I don't know much about cars honestly.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Alt and battery