flex pipe/header pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:26 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flex pipe/header pipe?

My flex pipe thats between the exhaust manifold and catalytic convertor is busted.
I brought it to Midas, and they wanted $450 for part and labor.
As for the dealer, it is about $400 just for the pipe not including labor.
So in an attemp to save myself from going bankrupt, I jacked up the car to see if I can remove and install the flex pipe myself.
My conclusion. Its got only 3 screws holding the pipe on each sides with gaskets.
So now I've decided to do my own and searched for the flex pipe online.
There are 2 places that refer to the flex pipes as a Header pipe.
It goes for around $100 bucks.
So my question is are they referiing to the same flex pipe Im searching for?
By the way if anyoone knows what flex pipe Im taling about and know where to buy them cheap, let me know.

Id also had a thought of fixing the pipe instead of replacing it.
I was going to cut the flex part of the pipe off/replaced and weld the flanges together. The fnew flex part of the pipe would be alittle bigger than the old one.
Would I gain any performance out of that?

Heres the picture of the flex pipe Im takking about. It is flex pipe number 7 in the picture.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Advanced

I have a similar problem, when I accelerate hard it makes metallic jiggling sound.
I'm not sure where it's coming from, but it might be the flexpipe or the catalytic converter...
do you hear a similar noise?
Old 02-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Just have a muffller shop cut off the flex pipe section and weld on a new one. That won't cost much. Sounds like the price quotes you got were for a replacement of the entire down pipe, which the flex pipe is a part of.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Racer

I have a similar problem, when I accelerate hard it makes metallic jiggling sound.
Yes, mine makes that sound too.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Hah, I was going to refer to a previous thread I had read.
I found them and saw that most of the threads were started by you. lol.

Do you know if my TL sounding like a truck is the result of the broken/rusted/loose flexpipe?

I went to various mechanics and they said it's definitely not the exhaust manifold and that it's something in the exhaust.
Now I've narrowed it down since I see the same problem in other TL's, but I just want to get rid of that annoying diesel sound.
Does the truck sound go away when the flexpipe is replaced?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
The rattle sounds like the heatshield around the catalytic converter. Its loose probably from rusting.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Racer

Do you know if my TL sounding like a truck is the result of the broken/rusted/loose flexpipe?

I went to various mechanics and they said it's definitely not the exhaust manifold and that it's something in the exhaust.
Now I've narrowed it down since I see the same problem in other TL's, but I just want to get rid of that annoying diesel sound.
Today 7:35 PM
Yes, I have posted many threads. When I have a problem, I dont take it to a shop right away. I asked questions here first to get some thoughts and ways to fix it myself to save money and broaden my knowledge about cars.

When a car sounds louder than the day you bought it, usually there is an exhaust leak somewhere. Over a long period of time the pipes rust and become weak against the exhaust pressure. To diagnose which pipe is leaking, get under the car and use your hand and ears to follow the pipes from the rear to the front.
It would be helpful if theres someone sitting in the drivers seat to step on the gas periodically. And you will have like 3 minutes to do this before the pipes become hot.
Flex pipes are a little difficult to diagnose if its in the just beginning to break down stages.On flex pipe, when you loook at it, you see these metal wires loom together to cover a pipe inside it. Id never encountered flex pipes before and was looking for a hole in the wire loom but really it was thr pipe inside.

If you think your car sounds like a truck then check that or it can be the exhaust manifold. To confirm the crack in the exhaust manifold, take the heat shield off in the hood and feel it with your hands.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplayOfPower

mine sounds like a diesel right now! - b-pipe is cracked. New pipe is sittin in the trunk, waitin to be puton..hopefully this weekend!

See if u can put the car up on a lift, to inspect for leaks in the exhaust system - more likely than not, some exhaust system component has rusted and exposed a leak.

Also, I agree with Ken on the rattlin' ....my accord did the same annoying rattle....went under the car, kicked the saggin catalytic convertor heat shield off, and no more rattle! just dont park over (dry) grass, or something that can catch fire easily!
Old 02-13-2006, 10:45 PM
Racer

Hi folks.
Today I went to Autozone to checkout what car part stores call the header pipe for the 2.5 TL. I checked out the Bosal catalog book that was a the store and it was indeed the flex pipe that I was looking for. It is $114 and have to be ordered.
It is alot cheaper than the dealer and Ive saved a sh*tload of money replacing it myself. The dealer wanted $400 bubks for it and Midas wants $300 for it. For those that are interested, the flex pipe is made by Bosal, the part number is 780-077, and they all it the header pipe. Dont forget the gasket and new screws.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
u consider jb kwik welding it???
Old 02-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Instructor

i went to canadian tire and picked up a flex pipe.. cut the old one off and welded this one.. never had a problem again..
Old 02-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Advanced

How much was your flex pipe? And did your car sound loud before you replaced the pipe?
Old 02-15-2006, 04:55 PM
Racer

How much was your flex pipe? And did your car sound loud before you replaced the pipe?
The replacement flex pipe I bought at Autozone for $129.
Its made by Bosal which i think makes exhaust parts for Honda/Acura too.
I compared it with the stock one ,and it looks the same down to the color,welding, and texture of the pipe.
its got a part number and its 780-077.
Heres the link

My car was very loud and loss power when accelerating at a green light.
I can feel air pressure hitting the floor of my car where the driver seat is at.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey any other symptoms your might describe in detail.........I have megan headers and my flex pipe is shreaded, just wondering if i'm expierencing the same symptoms
Old 11-02-2016, 09:55 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nick96acuratl
i went to canadian tire and picked up a flex pipe.. cut the old one off and welded this one.. never had a problem again..

Hey,

I was wondering how much you paid for the flex pipe at Canadian tire? and do you know roughly how much a shop would charge to put a new one via welding?

P.S also Canadian

Thank you,
Old 11-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by dganesar
Hey,

I was wondering how much you paid for the flex pipe at Canadian tire? and do you know roughly how much a shop would charge to put a new one via welding?

P.S also Canadian

Thank you,
you should just go to CA tire and ask them. and then go to a shop and ask them that too.

My guesstimate is about $34.50 CAD.