Cam seal and valve cover gasket leaks - AcuraZine Community

Go Back   AcuraZine Community > AcuraZine TL Community > First Generation TL (1996-1998)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

submit to reddit

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2010, 2:32 PM   #1

Trader Rating: (0)
Cam seal and valve cover gasket leaks

I had my timing belt & water pump replaced on my '98 TL yesterday, and was told by the dealer that my rear cam seal and valve cover gaskets are leaking for sure. He quoted me $650 to replace them and clean the motor up, to see if there is other leaks.

Thinking the price is too high, I declined it. Today I looked up online and found that the cost for replacing the seal and gaskets is mostly labor, and he is already there when replacing timing belt!!! Why hasn't the dealer told me this?

Do you guys think $650 is too high? What is a reasonable price to get the leaks fixed? Thanks!

Also he mentioned "sth." is soaked in oil because of the leak. I didn't hear exactly what. What could be soaked? Does it damage the engine or anything?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Acurazine!
twentynothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 6:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

Points: 9,915, Level: 66 Points: 9,915, Level: 66 Points: 9,915, Level: 66
Activity: 0.4%
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
well considering that the mechanic has to pull the timing belt again, as well as the valve covers, rocker arms, and cams, I'd say $650 is in the ballpark.
Old 05-26-2010, 2:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

shouldve changed it the same time as the timing belt . would've been ridiculously cheaper since its already out
Old 06-06-2010, 9:31 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentynothing View Post
I had my timing belt & water pump replaced on my '98 TL yesterday, and was told by the dealer that my rear cam seal and valve cover gaskets are leaking for sure. He quoted me $650 to replace them and clean the motor up, to see if there is other leaks.

Thinking the price is too high, I declined it. Today I looked up online and found that the cost for replacing the seal and gaskets is mostly labor, and he is already there when replacing timing belt!!! Why hasn't the dealer told me this?

Do you guys think $650 is too high? What is a reasonable price to get the leaks fixed? Thanks!

Also he mentioned "sth." is soaked in oil because of the leak. I didn't hear exactly what. What could be soaked? Does it damage the engine or anything?
More likely the O ring for the distributor is where the leak is coming from and not the camshaft. Is the leak at the rear of the engine by the firewall? If so most likely the distributor O ring.....you can see the oil on the top of the tranny housing at rear of engine. The O ring and the valve cover gasket are pretty cheap and easy to install, recommend you do it yourself.
SeabeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

Points: 4,624, Level: 43 Points: 4,624, Level: 43 Points: 4,624, Level: 43
Activity: 0.5%
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%
$650...damn thats pricey!! I got both valve gaskets left/right replaced for 140 including labor
7 Tl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
Registered Member

Points: 9,915, Level: 66 Points: 9,915, Level: 66 Points: 9,915, Level: 66
Activity: 0.4%
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Tl View Post
$650...damn thats pricey!! I got both valve gaskets left/right replaced for 140 including labor
cams seals are expensive though.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:03 AM
AcuraZine
Acura Integra

Paid Advertisement

submit to reddit

Tags
99, acura, belt, cam, camshaft, cl, coming, cover, gasket, leak, leaking, oil, rear, seal, sealent, timing, tl, valve