Bittersweet news: I bought a car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Did you actually check continuity or just look at it.

On rare occasion, a fuse will blow right at the leg and will look intact. The best way to check is with a fuse tester or multi-meter.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:04 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I looked at the little metal arc inside and that looked intact. I will have to ask my brother if he has a fuse tester or multi-meter because I'm pretty sure I don't have those. Could I try swapping the fuse with another fuse of the same value to see if that makes a difference? I think the manual said you can do that, but I don't want to mess something up. I wonder if I could take the cigarette lighter fuse out of my TL and use it if it turns out the SC's fuse is faulty?
Old 02-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
just try another fuse from another bank... like the radio fuse... that will rule out the fuse really quickly... if the fuse is good, then maybe the socket is dead... that happened to mine in the TL... because of the location of the socket next to the coin tray, i found a dime inside when i bought the car... replacing the socket is easy...
Old 02-05-2016, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Did the dime actually damage the socket or was it just jammed in there? I've read about people dropping change in there, but I don't understand why it ruins the sockets.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

it basically melts the socket... it was dead
Old 02-07-2016, 10:07 PM
Instructor

New update on the TL.... Today I went out to clear the snow off the cars because we got several inches the other day. I started them up to charge the batteries. I wanted to listen to the radio while I shoveled the snow, so I figured I'd just open the car doors. Well, I went to open the front passenger side door on the TL and the handle extended out, but it wouldn't open. I thought it must have been locked still, so I tried to unlock it with the remote. No response. All the other doors work fine except that one. I know it was working recently because I used that door when I pumped up the SC's tire last time. Fortunately the window still works so I will be able to run the pump wire out the window.

I can't believe it. It's as if the TL is so distraught about me buying a new car that she is self destructing right in front of me! I was thinking of trying to sell her for $500 as a parts car or something, but I don't even know if I'll be able to do that. I hate to consider junking her, but I'm starting to think that it might be worth it financially to grab some parts off of her that I could sell separately and then junk the rest. As long as the car can drive to the junkyard. Do you guys think that is a good idea? If I sold some parts, then parts of her would still be on the road, just on another car. I was originally hoping I could sell her to someone who would want to fix her up as a hobby and appreciate her like I did, but there is so much going wrong, that nobody would think it is worth it when they can buy another TL in better shape.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TLMichelle
I can't believe it. It's as if the TL is so distraught about me buying a new car that she is self destructing right in front of me! I was thinking of trying to sell her for $500 as a parts car or something, but I don't even know if I'll be able to do that. I hate to consider junking her, but I'm starting to think that it might be worth it financially to grab some parts off of her that I could sell separately and then junk the rest. As long as the car can drive to the junkyard. Do you guys think that is a good idea? If I sold some parts, then parts of her would still be on the road, just on another car. I was originally hoping I could sell her to someone who would want to fix her up as a hobby and appreciate her like I did, but there is so much going wrong, that nobody would think it is worth it when they can buy another TL in better shape.
i got to your point as well... i eventually took off whatever i thought i could use, and ended up donating her to charity... the $500 write off to charity is a lot better than the $100 a junk yard will give you... not many people will want to restore that car because, 1) it isn't a collectible, 2) parts aren't easy to obtain (the 1G TL is one off body that didn't share the motor with any other model)

get the leak fixed in the SC!!!