Anyone with Electrical Diagrams--Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:35 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone with Electrical Diagrams--Need Help!

If you have electrical diagrams for the 3.2 TL (1996 Premium if it makes any difference)... I need to know the Acura name for the relay that provides power to the starter motor. Any reasonable manufacturer would call this the "starter relay". But not Acura. There have been suggestions that it is called "main relay" or "starter cut relay" or "starter cutoff relay" but I can't find confirmation of those names anywhere. There are also a bunch of multiplex relays... I need to find the one that provides power to the starter when you turn the ignition switch to the START position. I'm virtually positive the contacts are burned up and are not going to start the car at all before too much longer, but I can't do anything about it until I know the name of the relay or anything else identifying about it (like how many wires in the connector, and colors of those wires for example). It is very likely located in the driver's side (left) footwell with a ton of other relays and fuses. Thanks in advance! Getting desperate - trying to avoid the cost of a tow and dealer labor. Frustrating when you know what's wrong but can't identify the part in order to get a new one.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:45 PM
6th Gear

Well, I found a diagram online in an obscure part of AutoZone that has wiring diagrams. They don't have the starting circuit for the Gen1 TL 3.2s but there is a starting diagram for the Integra model during the same time period and there is NO starter relay! With automatic transmission, with the ignition switch rotated to START, power goes through the the transmission/shifter position switch where only the PARK position allows power to go to the starter solenoid and the relay to provide power to the starter motor appears to be part of the starter solenoid. If anyone with 3.2 TL wiring diagrams can confirm that, it looks like my quest for a starter relay may turn into a quest for a new starter solenoid or starter motor/solenoid if the solenoid isn't sold separately.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:51 PM
6th Gear

Still looking for confirmation of start circuit on Gen 1 3.2TL... someone contacted me via private message looking for my Email... I replied, but not sure the reply was received. If you still have info for me, pls send to dougbbn@yahoo.com - Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 PM
6th Gear

By the way, the no-start issue changed the last 2 times we tried to start the car... the starter started cranking the engine, but before the engine could start, the starter stopped working even though trans was in Park and key was fully rotated to start position. Turning key to off position and back to start position resulted in a normal start both times. But it has never stopped cranking in the middle of a startup before this. Battery is plenty strong and less than 1 year old. Now thinking it is either a relay internal to the starter motor assy or worn brushes in the starter motor. But would still like to confirm that there's nothing else in the start circuit (like a starter relay) that could cause this kind of problem.