Water stall, now no start issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water stall, now no start issue

I searched the forum first for a thread and did not find anything under water stall.

Here it is:

We have a late rainy season going on and the streets flood during terrenchials. I misjudged a puddle and as I was going slow, an A.Tard in a vw jetta when skimming or "floating" by and washed a wave up under the ka-9 undercarriage. stalling me out. I opened the door and water was just at edge of the door sill had to walk barefoot to "dryer ground" (still puring out, running late to a meeting left car, no start, no crank).

Thought it was electrical let it sit a couple hrs to dry out, radio was getting funky without key in ignition. almost cranked. batt. terms are under thick coating of good ole, vaseline then got a jump start from a fam members car, electrics all fired fine, but a loud breakage aka pop sound happens when engine is trying to turn over. I haven't checked the distributor cap to see if its cracked or pulled plugs yet, because AAA dropped the ball yest. and left me stranded sending a truck 2x after very clear instructions to my office park location, and still on the 3rd attempt after being there since 12:45 pm said he'll be to me by 9 p.m. .. lovely.. NO, T.Y. no tools, nada, car is still in office park. when I get her Home, I can start doing more to diagnosis, i.e. pull spark plugs to see if water got into cyl. etc.

Does this car have a ER water intrusion safety switch?

If i cant purge whatever water i find, change oil, then I will try to get my mech. up here 15 miles way from his shop to look at it.

any thoughts experiences, knowledge on the technology these cars use for engine protection in case of water intrusion from this type of event?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 350 Likes on 287 Posts
Do you have a CAI? If so, do you have a water bypass? Even if you do or if you have a stock intake it's very possible the engine water locked. There's no built in protection the engine has against it if you flood the intake.

You mentioned there was no crank, which sounds to me like it is most likely electrical. Usually if a engine is hydrolocked the starter will still go but the engine never turns over. If the stereo is acting funny too that's another indication of electrical issues.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:21 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks / Update, more bad news!

Thanks XLR8!

Update:
After a very frustrating ordeal with AAA, the car was left in the office park parking lot till the next morning to be towed away illegally by some office tenants of whom, ended up having to pay for the release of the car from the tow yard, at the request of the office buildings owner, for not authorizing the tow.

Fast forward, car was at my master and ASC cert. Wrench for a week, but due to his absence of his vacation, he got it going. found water in the oil and rusty plugs. changed both, 3 hrs labor, and only $214 later, she ran, rough but ran and drove ok.

The cranking of the car on jump start, subsequently, bent either a rod or cracked a pistion, hence the engine had a rough idle, and made what sounded like an out of tune diesel engine aka clicking noises, parts bent rubbing on each other. He told me either it will run like that forever, or whatever is bent may wear down and it will get silent, which is a good thing.

The car only has 72,000 miles on it for an '04, it was my father's car and driven like a true old man, even though he never saw senior years. It was in decent shape until this unfortunate water damage issue.

Fast forward to today, car drove ok, mech. said don't take her over 3k rpms and drive easy, of which i did, only local roads. I got to 2700 rpms today let off gas to let tranny shift, and bam... dash light up like a Christmas tree and an epic internal explosion sounded through firewall, almost like i ran over junkyard parts. I rolled her to side of road put her in park let sit a min. then tried to start, she cranked up, engine light was flashing intermittently, oil pressure light was on and it was a mission to get her moving from a stop. I was able to turn around and get her home (too far to mechanic to limp there on one or two cyl., of what I felt was all that was left, moving the beast).

I have an out of work Honda tech. that worked for a dealer in D.R. to come look at the thing on Sunday and see what he might charge in labor to shade-tree wrench on it at my house, if I bought an engine rebuild kit. Bluebook in great shape is sub $10k. as is now, it's between 6k and 6500 value, private party.

Or I could finish the front bumper cover patch and paint work, button it up, install the new fog light connectors, clean her really well and sell her as a mechanics special and take a hit on the value. I will know more of what I might do on Sunday.

'Tis a shame. But it's just a car, and I don't know if she will ever purr and pull like she did with full compression in her pre-water ingestion days.

Cheers!
Old 10-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Cruisin'

the end result is here. I finally made a decision on what to do with the '04.

As much as i have enjoyed this journey, I am really over it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/member-.../#post15571574