Vsa-abs mil...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Vsa-abs mil...

I started getting the dreaded VSA/ABS malfunction lights a few weeks ago. I could "fix it" by re-starting the car. It would last for several days and then they'd pop back on. This weekend by brother and I dug into it a little. Both of his scan tools showed steering angle sensor failure and ECU unmatch. With the wheel staright ahead, the tool showed 40 degrees right!

We first did the "brain drain" by disconnecting the battery and "shorting" the terminals together for a minute to clear any memories. That took care of the ECU unmatch but the steering sensor failure came right back. So we tried the relearning process to get the steering angle sensor happy. Neither tool seemed to work correctly and they have different procedures scripted. We did manage to get the tool to read 0 when the wheel was pointed straight ahead, but neither tool seemed to finish the process. Both MIL's were still lit and at this point it was time for grilling so we stopped.

Today we looked on AllData and found there is a manual procedure using the Service Check Connector and the VSA button. I printed it up and went through the process.

Fixed it on my 1st try!!!

Hopefully the problem was the steering angle needed centering all along.

Here is the procedure for a 2002 RL. Don't forget to pull the jumper at the SCS otherwise you'll still have VSA/ABS & now BRAKE lights lit up making you think you've made it worse!!! And always remember, timing is "impotent". Good luck!!!

Programming and Relearning

Check...

1.Connect the SCS service connector to the service check connector (2P) located under the glove box.
2.Turn the ignition switch ON (II). The VSA activation indicator comes on then goes off.
3.Press the VSA off switch one time before the VSA activation indicator comes on again.
4.Check that the VSA activation indicator comes on when the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position (neutral position), and the indicator goes off when the steering wheel turns to the right or left more than 2.5 degrees .
5.If the VSA activation indicator does not come on or go off, perform the neutral position memorizing procedure.

Memorizing...

NOTE: Because timing is impotent, familiarize yourself with the whole procedure before you begin.
1.Connect the SCS service connector to the service check connector (2P) located under the glove box.
2.Turn the steering wheel to the straight ahead position, then turn the ignition switch ON (II). The VSA and ABS indicators come on for 2 seconds then go off for 1 second .
3.Quickly push and release the VSA off switch two times before the VSA and ABS indicators come back on. (If this step is not completed during the 1 second that the VSA and ABS indicators are out, the VSA control unit will not enter the steering angle neutral memorization mode and the VSA activation indicator will go out before the procedure is finished.) The VSA activation indicator comes on for0.3 seconds , goes off for0.2 seconds , then come back on. The ABS indicator blinks DTC 84. (This code will clear after the steering angle sensor neutralization has been successfully completed.)
NOTE: Do steps 4 - 7 in less than 7 seconds .
4.Turn the steering wheel from the straight ahead position to the right about 20 degrees until the VSA activation indicator goes off. Return the steering wheel to the straight ahead position (the VSA activation indicator comes back on).
5.Turn the steering wheel to the left about 20 degrees until the VSA activation indicator goes off.
6.Return the steering wheel to the straight ahead position, and press the VSA off switch. The VSA activation indicator goes off then comes back on. (If the VSA activation indicator does not come back on, disconnect the VSA modulator 42P connector for 30 seconds . Reconnect the 42P connector and repeat steps 2 - 7.)
7.Press the VSA off switch again. The VSA activation indicator blink five times. If the indicator does not blink, repeat the neutral position memorizing procedure.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:09 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there. I recently did the EGR + Intake cleaning procedure to get rid of the bad flow engine light. However, the moment I turned my car back on after reassembling everything, the VSA Off Indicator was showing along with the VSA Light. After attempting to read the code, the ABS light also came on. It is now flashing the code 9-8. The ABS and VSA also activates when it shouldn't be. When I brake harder than normal, I can feel the ABS grinding through the pedal. I can also feel it when taking a sharp turn. Its as if my VSA computer is off. Any ideas?