Replace 2002 RL Bose Stock Head Unit With Aftermarket System?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 11:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace 2002 RL Bose Stock Head Unit With Aftermarket System?

It's been a while since I've been on the forum but I'd like to know if it's possible to replace the stock Bose head unit on my 2002 RL with an aftermarket system without having to swap the Bose speakers/amp? I was looking at the double DIN Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com and was hoping to combine it with the Metra 99-7806B dash kit. My understanding of this Bose system is that the factory head unit sends line level signal, not speaker level signal to the amp. If this is true, I'd assume feeding the signal directly from an aftermarket head unit could overpower the Bose amp/speakers which would cause problems. With that being said, the AVH-X3800BHS has six 4-volt pre-amp outputs. Would it be possible to simply use an RCA to 2-channel speaker cable adapter (Kicker KISL 2-channel speaker wire adapter (bare-wire connector to RCAs) at Crutchfield.com) on the Pioneer's pre-amp outs to feed the audio signal to the LF, RF, LR, RR connections on the factory harness? If this isn't possible, are there any other options? I saw some previous mention of the Pac AOEM-HON20 but it states on their website Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future it is not compatible with Bose amps.