Odometer has been altered/replaced

Old 02-10-2017, 06:15 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Odometer has been altered/replaced

Hi

i have just been informed my odometer reading is not correct. I got my title yesterday and the DMV person pointed out that my mileage was listed as "Exceeded" the 97,000 that it shows . I do not have the option to return the car and it still would be a decent deal because it runs and looks ok but is no longer the best deal of my life. How can I find the true mileage or approximate mileage?

Thx
Old 02-10-2017, 06:21 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you're going to need more details....
what little info you gave us...is akin to finding a needle in a haystack.

it could be a clerical error.

if you want to find out, you'll have to investigate...by going through records.
DMV, carfax, dealership records.... ALL of those places have the info you need...you'll have to do the digging.

but what you'll find is that it doesnt really matter.
it's a 13 year old vehicle....with PROBABLY just as many owners...
Old 02-10-2017, 07:32 AM
9th Gear

hi,

thanks for he response

I know the history since 2010 , co worker bought it w/52K on the odometer, her title had "exceeds" on it originally. She didn't know it wasn't original miles. I have the VIN number of course but what other info could I supply ? how can I i get a dealer to give me records of a car they probably have never serviced ? do they offer help in part of a car ? same with the DMV, who what where do I ask? I could cold call and just ask for help but maybe someone has gone through this and offer suggestions? CarFax I know I can try,checking all possibilities 1st
Old 02-10-2017, 07:44 AM

everything is public records. YOU need to dig. just like how investigators dig. dig, dig, dig, until you get to the bottom of whatever you are searching for.....

but im telling you, at this point and time...probably not worth digging...it's a 13 year old vehicle...change ALL fluids, do the 105k mile service if you are unsure...and it will continue to run forever.

How did Erin Brockovich win her lawsuit ?
she dug until she found what she was looking for. (literally she dug into the ground and found contamination)
Become an investigator and dig.

again, it could be just a clerical error. it happens ALL the time
humans make mistakes. clerk could have had fat fingers and pressed the wrong button.
clerk could have looked up from computer while entering in information and fudged up numbers by mistake.

my job involves data entry.
my work is 98% correct. there's a 2% chance that I get tired, or my brain mixes up the NUM keypad and I accidentally hit 7 instead of 4.
but in my job, there are QC's that I can do, which double checks my work to make sure I get the numbers correct

Last edited by projektvertx; 02-10-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
That ship has sailed , not much you can do now
Old 02-10-2017, 03:23 PM
9th Gear

I cant do much anyway it is my car. What I can do is plan possibly make some realistic expectations, Sure a few cars will get to 300,000 great but am I there now? or am i at 101,000 big difference. if i am at 101 I will keep fighting details and use it on long. trips if at 300, i will go on short trips and save it. So far my best bet seems like CarFax,
Old 02-18-2017, 11:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Do a compression and leakdown test. If those test good do all the maintenance things like ALL fluids tbelt and keep driving.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 05:04 AM

if something is unknown, start afresh.

that way, you know exactly how fresh your fluids are...etc
Old 02-19-2017, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by opimax
I cant do much anyway it is my car. What I can do is plan possibly make some realistic expectations, Sure a few cars will get to 300,000 great but am I there now? or am i at 101,000 big difference. if i am at 101 I will keep fighting details and use it on long. trips if at 300, i will go on short trips and save it. So far my best bet seems like CarFax,
this doesnt make sense.

if everything is in tip -top shape, 300k will run JUST like 100k....
start afresh.
replace all fluids.
replace belts
replace spark plugs
replace bushings

by the time you get done replacing worn components, you will have a brand new car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2017, 07:06 AM
9th Gear

There are a couple issues that feel like higher milage, the trans has a whine to it and shifts a little hard , fluid has been changed. Additionally power steering has been flushed , brake fluid will be changed oil has been changed, coolant has been changed.
also it is being looked at for erratic engine speed , more so w/ac on. Cruise slacks up to 7 mph when engaged. Then the trans down shifts and holds the lower gear for an extended period.

it is being looked at again by a great guy so I beleive it will best it can be .. Some of the minor annoyances are expensive to repair. The key is not reconized maybe 1 out of 6 tries , key lights on dash , turn off and try again works. Told that was 500 -1000. It could use 4 struts and needs 4 tires.

we have decided to keep the car and hope for the best. Some repairs may wait to see how it does go in the short run once we get it back

Search this Thread