Dash lights like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 10:05 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash lights like crazy

OK so I've been searching threw here for all my symptoms I'm having but all I can find is individual issues. I'm on the verge of lighting a match and roasting marshmallows . I am new to the site and I hope someone can give me some help. It's an 04 RL 3.5 I bought the car 4 months ago and only drove it 2.5 been sitting since because I can't wrap my head around what's going on........

It all started after I bought the car from my boss's mother she's on the car for the last 10 years and it only put 50,000 miles on it and it's been dealer maintained. The navigation woodwork then it wouldn't. The maintenance required light came on flashed upon startup and then went off. This went on for a week or two then I was driving on the freeway next thing you know as I got off the freeway I tried to take off at the light and it felt like I was riding the clutch out on a manual the car didn't run right. I look down to the dash all sorts of lights were on. The maintenance required light, the check engine light, the battery light, the brake light, the VSA light, the exclamation light, and the D4 was flashing. So I drove my buddy's house parked it for a few minutes talk to him about what was going on. So it went out I went to go for a ride to see what he thought was going on. I couldn't get the car out of park so I had to neutral override it. Then when I went to go take off the car stalled out it wasn't charging the battery so I figured it was the alternator. I had the alternator rebuilt put a new battery in it still I am in the same boat. I've talked to multiple people about the situation and they're telling me that it's gotta be a bad ground somewhere. I don't know if that's the case if I hit something on the freeway I have no clue but the car is just sitting and I need to do something with it so if anybody has any insight would be greatly appreciated. Should just call it my moble Christmas tree.

Old 02-09-2017, 06:27 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
so, you scanned the car and came up with SEVERAL DIFFERENT CODES...
ummmmmm, why not start at those codes?

Originally Posted by Rondo
I finally got my hands on one.

Clint, there definitely is one. it's located in the back corner of the hood under the passenger side. It's also referred to as a misfire sensor. the car was giving out misfire codes (P1301 thru 1306, P 1201 thru 1206) but the car wasn't misfiring. When I removed the sensor it showed P1316 thru P1319 (Spark Plug Voltage Detection Circuit Malfunction).

I had issues with the salvage yard,they sent me two Ignition Control Modules by accident. The ICM is located on the strut tower and, as you can see above, is virtually identical down the the wiring harnesses it accepts. once I figured out what had happened (by accident-I was changing the spark plugs when I noticed it), I contacted them and they set me up with the right part.

No more trouble codes, car is running like a dream again & I can now focus on fixing the dent in my bumper
from this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/first-g.../#post11000617

Last edited by justnspace; 02-09-2017 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:29 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
every car is equipped with the OBDII port, and you can scan it...JUST like you did...and it will spit back on what is wrong...
then...all you have to do is GOOGLE the Pcode.... and MOST of the time, you will find your answers...

I'm not going to google every single code, because I have work to do...and that is YOUR job
Old 02-09-2017, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Sounds like the battery or alternator is on its way out. When the voltage gets low, car ECM can throw a bunch of different issues.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (02-09-2017)