New 2007 RDX Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 02:05 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2007 RDX Owner

Hi everyone. I picked this up a few days ago after doing some lurking in here and seeing mostly positive reviews it seemed like a good purchase. It's my first RDX and I love it! I once owned a WRX STi and the pull and handeling of this car reminds me of it. I'm a real estate agent and don't need to be flying around corners with clients but its nice to have a good balance of class and sports car. I came most recently from an 03 Acura cl type s, had about 200k on it could have gone longer but gave a friend a good deal on it and got this. Its a 2007 Carbon Gray Pearl tech 95k miles only one previous owner. Aside from changing all my fluids out what other suggestions do you whom have this car recommend? I was glad to read these have timing chains instead of belts. I need to get a new front speaker bc it has a blown one. Also want to switch to a head unit that supports Bluetooth audio. It's been raining the past few days here but here's pic for now.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:04 AM
Cruisin'

Nice RDX. I've had mine for two years and the only thing I've done besides regular maintenance is I had to replace a relay for the AC system and then get my ac recharged. It's a common problem the relay acura used is junk and the replacement relay is a better part.

I also had a 2003 CL Type S 6 speed. I still miss it I loved that car.
Name:  IMG_0356.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  138.0 KB
Old 11-30-2015, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by seabass314
Hi everyone. I picked this up a few days ago after doing some lurking in here and seeing mostly positive reviews it seemed like a good purchase. It's my first RDX and I love it! I once owned a WRX STi and the pull and handeling of this car reminds me of it. I'm a real estate agent and don't need to be flying around corners with clients but its nice to have a good balance of class and sports car. I came most recently from an 03 Acura cl type s, had about 200k on it could have gone longer but gave a friend a good deal on it and got this. Its a 2007 Carbon Gray Pearl tech 95k miles only one previous owner. Aside from changing all my fluids out what other suggestions do you whom have this car recommend? I was glad to read these have timing chains instead of belts. I need to get a new front speaker bc it has a blown one. Also want to switch to a head unit that supports Bluetooth audio. It's been raining the past few days here but here's pic for now.
Hello and welcome to the forum! Love that color. Almost bought one in that color too but settled for Royal Blue Pearl instead.

I think changing out all the fluids is a good start. These things are pretty rock solid, you shouldn't have any worries.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:42 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Welcome to the family!

The A/C relay TSB issue is the only thing other than normal wear/tear stuff (speakers, door actuators, center armrest, creaking climate control air vent adjust thingy, sun visor). The A/C issue happened to my RDX and I was just under the 100,000 mile extended warranty limit a few years ago. You are getting close to the 100,000 miles service (spark plugs, valve adjustment, coolant, serpentine belt, etc..). I also replaced my power steering fluid at 100,000 miles since it is a one and done fluid change.

MPGs kinda sucks for the 2.3T in city driving sometimes (17-18 mpgs avg). Spending $300 on Hondata ECU reflash can give you a 1 to 1.5 combined mpg bump, faster spool time AND 26hp/33tq power bump. Drives noticeably better with Hondata.

LINK: https://www.hondata.com/reflash-cate...eflash-rdx2007

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-30-2015 at 01:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
seabass314 (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 03:56 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Welcome to the family!

The A/C relay TSB issue is the only thing other than normal wear/tear stuff (speakers, door actuators, center armrest, creaking climate control air vent adjust thingy, sun visor). The A/C issue happened to my RDX and I was just under the 100,000 mile extended warranty limit a few years ago. You are getting close to the 100,000 miles service (spark plugs, valve adjustment, coolant, serpentine belt, etc..). I also replaced my power steering fluid at 100,000 miles since it is a one and done fluid change.

MPGs kinda sucks for the 2.3T in city driving sometimes (17-18 mpgs avg). Spending $300 on Hondata ECU reflash can give you a 1 to 1.5 combined mpg bump, faster spool time AND 26hp/33tq power bump. Drives noticeably better with Hondata.

The Hondata is something I was thinking about + the cp-e intake, so if I purchase the unit for 300 how much does it cost for someone to set it up? Does it have to be a Hondata authorized shop?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Welcome to the family!

Don't want to take the thread off topic, but just wondering, what is this creaking climate control thing you speak of? I have been getting this weird clicking noise since it got cold out coming from the passenger side of the car. Originally I thought it was the door alignment, but it has been happening when the car is stationary too. Can you pm me about this please?
Old 11-30-2015, 05:53 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by seabass314
The Hondata is something I was thinking about + the cp-e intake, so if I purchase the unit for 300 how much does it cost for someone to set it up? Does it have to be a Hondata authorized shop?
If you go to the website, it should give you a link to the closest authorized dealer in your area. The local shop can't reflash in shop, they have to ship to Hondata. I did overnight both ways from NM to CA. Dropped everything off on Monday at lunch and picked up on Wednesday after lunch. It is $295+shipping if you remove everything yourself and take to authorized dealer. You might have to call Hondata if there isn't a dealer in your area.

Link: https://www.hondata.com/us-dealers
Old 11-30-2015, 06:04 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by RDX10
Don't want to take the thread off topic, but just wondering, what is this creaking climate control thing you speak of? I have been getting this weird clicking noise since it got cold out coming from the passenger side of the car. Originally I thought it was the door alignment, but it has been happening when the car is stationary too. Can you pm me about this please?
The issue I had was a creaking/groaning sound when I start the RDX and it was the climate control adjusting the baffles for air flow in auto mode. I think there is a TSB to access the dash to re-grease the part causing the sound. Acura did this on my RDX and the sound was gone for a couple of months; but, it has slowly came back (not as loud). My sound came from the driver side not the passenger side. It could be the climate control fan causing the clicking noise?

Link: https://acurazine.com/forums/diy-faq...-noise-862172/
Old 11-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
The issue I had was a creaking/groaning sound when I start the RDX and it was the climate control adjusting the baffles for air flow in auto mode. I think there is a TSB to access the dash to re-grease the part causing the sound. Acura did this on my RDX and the sound was gone for a couple of months; but, it has slowly came back (not as loud). My sound came from the driver side not the passenger side. It could be the climate control fan causing the clicking noise?

Exactly this. A groan from the driver side (you could be accused of farting). I did the DIY about a year ago and the problem went away. I wriggled myself right up under the dash, and could see exactly where the noise was from. Easy fix.

I think the RDX10 is talking about something different from this issue, but it could be HVAC related as you suggest.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Exactly this. A groan from the driver side (you could be accused of farting). I did the DIY about a year ago and the problem went away. I wriggled myself right up under the dash, and could see exactly where the noise was from. Easy fix.

I think the RDX10 is talking about something different from this issue, but it could be HVAC related as you suggest.
No the noise I am talking about is like a loud clicking or ticking noise, very loud and very obnoxious. Not sure what is causing it. Turned off the climate control during the clicking and it kept happening maybe.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:50 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
^^Hmmm...not sure. I have an incessant rattle caused by the damper that lowers the glove box door. Like a friggin' baby with a rattle. But yours happens when the car is not moving.
Old 12-01-2015, 12:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
^^Hmmm...not sure. I have an incessant rattle caused by the damper that lowers the glove box door. Like a friggin' baby with a rattle. But yours happens when the car is not moving.
Did you check if your inner clips that hold the bin in are clipped properly? Mine is caused randomly, I don't know if turning the climate control off stops it, sometimes it does, sometimes not and sometimes only when moving and sometimes not. Just a very weird noise.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:44 AM
mrgold35

Hey seabass314

I had some pretty good power gains and slight bump in mpgs from adding the ETS intercooler on top of Hondata. I can even feel more of a slight hp/tq gain and a very small mpg bump on the old butt dyno the colder it gets outside (starting around 45 degree or colder). I also added the Hondata heat-shield gasket since it is usually between 90-105 degrees in the summer in NM. I just did the K/N drop-in filter instead of an intake. I decided against an intake because I like to wash my engine to keep it clean, worried about water splashing the filter on hard rainy days (july/august monsoons!), and drawing hot air into the engine when it is +90 degrees 5 months out of the year in the southwest.

I've haven't tried; but, some folks with other Acura's just deleted the air filter resonator with OEM filter or K/N drop-in and got pretty much the same sound/power results. An aftermarket intake does look 100% better compared to the OEM black air filter box.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey seabass314
I've haven't tried; but, some folks with other Acura's just deleted the air filter resonator with OEM filter or K/N drop-in and got pretty much the same sound/power results. An aftermarket intake does look 100% better compared to the OEM black air filter box.
I had the CP-e intake but the sound was WAY too much for me... I simply did the air intake resonator delete, and sound is just perfect for my taste
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (12-01-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 09:24 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jo.jacques
I had the CP-e intake but the sound was WAY too much for me... I simply did the air intake resonator delete, and sound is just perfect for my taste
I've been looking but can't find a write up for the resonator delete. It's pretty straightforward I assume?
Old 12-01-2015, 10:12 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I've heard that sound in mine too. I was wondering what that was!