Might have to sell the rdx because of discomfort

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 01:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 870 Likes on 666 Posts
Might have to sell the rdx because of discomfort

As much as this pains me (literally), I may have to sell my rdx because of above the knee pain. The pain was very mild when I first bought it, started shortly after I bought it too. Then has gradually gotten worse and is slowly getting unbearable. It wasn't till I put 2 and 2 together and realized the pain started shortly after buying the rdx and driving it seems to exacerbate the pain. I have tried adjusting my seat in MANY ways. Still no relief. Going to see my doc tomorrow and see if anything else is going on. Then going to drive our family's second car (09 santa fe gls) for the week and see what happens with the pain. If pain goes away, so does rdx.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:04 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's odd, how much time do you spend in your car? Do you really think that's what is causing your pain? The RDX memory seats adjust plenty of ways to get comfortable.

Hopefully that isn't the case but you have been mulling over swapping out for another vehicle anyway so if so maybe that will tip your hand
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 08:55 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I had a similar issue with my TSX causing hip pain that moved down my right leg on longer drives. I finally figured out it was my over stuffed wallet moving my hips out of alignment. It also help changing my "driving shoes" because most shoes have a few inches of sole/heel that also robs leg room (6'3" size 14 shoe). The thicker sole/heel was causing my leg to bend more and caused some knee discomfort on longer drives. Getting the junk out of my wallet, removing my wallet on longer drives, and wearing flat shoes solved the problem for me.

Oddly, my RDX has the most comfortable seats and the most leg room compared to my TSX or MDX?
RDX10 (01-27-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 10:00 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Same for me, the RDX seats aren't as comfortable / supportive as my XFR but they are definitely some of the better ones I sat in in that class of SUV. I found that if the pitch of the seat was too high (seat bottom angled toward the steering column too much) it made my legs go a little numb but once I got that dialed in I don't have any issues with 6+ hour drives. And I'm a huge pussy and sensitive to seat comfort (or maybe I'm just spoiled)
Old 01-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
That's odd, how much time do you spend in your car? Do you really think that's what is causing your pain? The RDX memory seats adjust plenty of ways to get comfortable.

Hopefully that isn't the case but you have been mulling over swapping out for another vehicle anyway so if so maybe that will tip your hand
I like to go for nightly drives for stress relief. So I usually spend around an hour to hour and a half daily just cruising. It has been my ultimate stress relief next to prayer and has helped bring back sanity to my life. The seats are some of the most supportive seats in the world, They hug me like a glove. But the fact that the pain started like 2-4 weeks after buying the car, is pushing me in that direction.

This really sucks though because I have been loving my rdx and was really considering keeping it or selling and buying a really low mileage 09 tech model. I am going to drive the santa fe for the week. If the pain goes away, then I will know what it is. Otherwise I am seeing my doc today and we will see if it is anything else.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I had a similar issue with my TSX causing hip pain that moved down my right leg on longer drives. I finally figured out it was my over stuffed wallet moving my hips out of alignment. It also help changing my "driving shoes" because most shoes have a few inches of sole/heel that also robs leg room (6'3" size 14 shoe). The thicker sole/heel was causing my leg to bend more and caused some knee discomfort on longer drives. Getting the junk out of my wallet, removing my wallet on longer drives, and wearing flat shoes solved the problem for me.

Oddly, my RDX has the most comfortable seats and the most leg room compared to my TSX or MDX?
Thank you for the suggestions, I really appreciate it! I don't keep my wallet in my pocket for this reason. I also had the pain even when my shoes had thin soles. But this is an idea. I might try wearing paper thin shoes and see what happens. I had an 05 x5 before and it was awful! The accelerator was floor mounted so it caused me a crap ton of shin and calf pain.

I have tried adjusting my rdx in many many ways. I really don't know if it is the rdx or not. I have been suffering from a bunch of confounding health stuff that docs have no clue about. But it just adds up because of the time. I guess by the end of the week I will know.

Part of me hopes it is (I really want an 08 v8 touareg) but another part really hopes it isn't. I love the rdx. One of the best handling, most flat, most controlled suvs's of all time.

Same for me, the RDX seats aren't as comfortable / supportive as my XFR but they are definitely some of the better ones I sat in in that class of SUV. I found that if the pitch of the seat was too high (seat bottom angled toward the steering column too much) it made my legs go a little numb but once I got that dialed in I don't have any issues with 6+ hour drives. And I'm a huge pussy and sensitive to seat comfort (or maybe I'm just spoiled)
Probably the best seats in an suv for its time, barring x5 22 way seats...etc. I like having my seats almost sink in. So I usually put the rear end as low as it can go and the front as high as it can go. But with the rdx, I have tried making it flat and high hoping to alleviate stress on the joint. No luck. If you are a huge pussy over seat comfort, I guess that makes me one too lol.

Seriously, seats are a HUGE factor to cars. You spend 99.9% of the time in your car, in the seats. It is always mind boggling when people on forums complain that their 30-60k plus car has bad seats.....like shouldn't you have done a more than 15 minute drive?

I am 5'11 though my legs are REALLY LONG, I feel it may be some sort of disconnect between steering wheel angle, seat angle, and pedal angle. I will have to see what happens.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:25 PM
#ForcedInductionFamily

Dang well hope you start to feel better! If it turns out to be chronic pain, I doubt you are going to be comfortable in any car unfortunately. You could also try one of those gel car seat pads, it may help take some of the stress off of your joints
Old 01-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Dang well hope you start to feel better! If it turns out to be chronic pain, I doubt you are going to be comfortable in any car unfortunately. You could also try one of those gel car seat pads, it may help take some of the stress off of your joints
Thank you for the wishes! I wish you good health as well. I surely hope it isn't chronic! I am only 21! Just turned 21 a couple months ago! I guess I should be hoping it is the rdx!
Old 01-28-2016, 12:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Well day one complete. Driving the santa fe makes it almost worth the pain with the rdx. In other words, the santa fe drives like a messy jello-(mo)-bile but my knees feel better today. Will have to see tomorrow and thereafter. So far looking like goodbye rdx and hello x5 4.8i with 22 sport seats!
Old 01-28-2016, 09:24 AM
#ForcedInductionFamily

I've got an XFR for sale with very comfy seats and 10x the performance of most of the SUVs out there Would be a great way for you to blow off steam every night!

Old 01-28-2016, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Well day one complete. Driving the santa fe makes it almost worth the pain with the rdx. In other words, the santa fe drives like a messy jello-(mo)-bile but my knees feel better today. Will have to see tomorrow and thereafter. So far looking like goodbye rdx and hello x5 4.8i with 22 sport seats!
Is your thinking the pain is from the stiffness of the RDX or seat position?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Suzuka Master

I've got an XFR for sale with very comfy seats and 10x the performance of most of the SUVs out there Would be a great way for you to blow off steam every night!

2010 Jaguar XFR - Custom X Pipe + Mina Gallery Exhaust - YouTube
That right there is the stuff of dreams and miracles! Beautiful! And that road, is just curvey enough but not too curvey! Beautiful!

As odd as it sounds, I have always been and probably always be an suv guy. I feel more comfortable in suv's vs cars. Have only every owned an suv. Thankfully jaguar is coming out with the f-pace for me haha.

Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
Is your thinking the pain is from the stiffness of the RDX or seat position?
Absolutely not stiffness. Honestly don't understand why people even call it stiff. It is a firm ride, but still comfortable. If you want to see what is truly harsh, drive a 2011 kia sorento ex or lx (not sx) and you will understand very quickly!

But to answer your question, it has to do more with a disconnect between steering wheel angle, seat position, and pedal position. I have tried adjusting my seat in MANY MANY ways. Even ways that I really don't like but did anyways hoping it would be more comfortable. Yet nothing would help me. I am only 5'11 but my legs are more than half of my body length and my hip to my knee is as long as my knee to the feet. So just very long feet. Was always told I had "model legs", whatever the hell that means.
Old 01-28-2016, 02:46 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I surely hope it isn't chronic! I am only 21!
Well if it is chronic, you can treat it with chronic, if you live in a green state. You don't even have to inhale.
justnspace (01-28-2016)
Old 01-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DRR98
Well if it is chronic, you can treat it with chronic, if you live in a green state. You don't even have to inhale.
I would rather live with the pain and fight it, vs taking narcotics to shut it down. Just a personal beleif. But I aporeciate the idea.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It may be that you need some thigh support closer to the knee. I remember my GS having it. It was awesome! I know the RDX doesn't have that feature but there may be something that you can attach to the seat bottom to extend/support your thighs better.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rsxdude
It may be that you need some thigh support closer to the knee. I remember my GS having it. It was awesome! I know the RDX doesn't have that feature but there may be something that you can attach to the seat bottom to extend/support your thighs better.
But the seats on the rdx are the longest seats I have ever had. Like the bottom is actually set up in such a way that it is made for people with longer legs. I have never had thigh support on any of my cars. But I am honestly seriously looking at a 2007 X5 4.8i with the 22 way sports seats that have the thigh extenders and sports package.

This is day 3 with the santa fe, so far, the pain seems to be less maybe. But my thighs are hurting now. Maybe I need to try and spend as little time driving as possible and then give my legs a break. I spend a LOT of time in my car lol.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:18 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Not a lot of alternatives if you still want sh-awd for around the same price range as the RDX? My MDX has even less leg room and a smaller foot well compartment than the RDX. Maybe the previous gen sh-awd TL might feel better and you still get the outstanding awd system (and more HP, 6MT option, and way better mpgs). I've just gotten use to the upright sitting position, better visibility, and utility of having a CUV to go back to a sedan.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:08 PM
Pro

Weed is a narcotic? I had no idea. Just a personal opinion.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:51 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eat a banana, if it goes away your potassium level might low. Can cause muscle pains and muscle cramps.
Mike
Old 01-29-2016, 10:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Not a lot of alternatives if you still want sh-awd for around the same price range as the RDX? My MDX has even less leg room and a smaller foot well compartment than the RDX. Maybe the previous gen sh-awd TL might feel better and you still get the outstanding awd system (and more HP, 6MT option, and way better mpgs). I've just gotten use to the upright sitting position, better visibility, and utility of having a CUV to go back to a sedan.
I have always been an suv guy. Don't see myself in a sedan right now. I like fast suvs that handle like sport cars. It seems odd, but I just like suvs. I have my eyes set on a X5 4.8i with the 22 way comfort Seats. Rdx is going to go up for sale shortly I think. Hello heated steering wheel, rwd biased full time awd, v8, smart key, cooled seats, 22 way seats...I can go on lol.

Weed is a narcotic? I had no idea. Just a personal opinion.
It is isn't it? I really don't know if it is. I personally just don't like taking things to numb pain. Not even advil or tylenol. Didn't even take tylenol after parathyroid surgery. I still aporeciate you trying to help though.

Originally Posted by Makordx
Eat a banana, if it goes away your potassium level might low. Can cause muscle pains and muscle cramps.
Mike
Good suggestion. I am going to try that. Also had some blood work done yesterday. Still no call, but we'll see in the next few days if they call me.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Pro

Hope things are getting better for you.

Is it cramps or pain? Cramps are painful muscle contractions. Causes: Improper hydration? Low sodium/potassium level? Caused by hard exercise? Improper ergonomics? Raise/lower the seat ht to a neutral position. (knees not too hi or low)

I'm 6'2" and I am comfortable even on long trips.

Pain (w/o cramps) above the knee could be a strain or tear in the MCL or ACL. Or nerve pain.

Anti-inflamitory meds can be very helpful in HEALING the above.

But those 4 states (Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Colorado and DC) LEGALIZED a narcotic for recreational use? Hmm.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Hope things are getting better for you.

Is it cramps or pain? Cramps are painful muscle contractions. Causes: Improper hydration? Low sodium/potassium level? Caused by hard exercise? Improper ergonomics? Raise/lower the seat ht to a neutral position. (knees not too hi or low)

I'm 6'2" and I am comfortable even on long trips.

Pain (w/o cramps) above the knee could be a strain or tear in the MCL or ACL. Or nerve pain.

Anti-inflamitory meds can be very helpful in HEALING the above.

But those 4 states (Alaska, Washington, Oregon, Colorado and DC) LEGALIZED a narcotic for recreational use? Hmm.
I really appreciate you asking and replying to this, thank you.

The pain has pretty much gone away since I stopped driving the rdx. Though it has been back the last few days because I have been hitting the gym again, but I expect it to back off as my body adjusts.

No not cramps, sort of like a crampy pain though. It feels like it is bruised in the area above the knee. All blood work came back clear. Doc says I should take glucosamine and chondroiton because it helps strengthen muscles in joint areas.

The pain came shortly after getting the rdx (at that time I had the seat angle too low) so I adjusted and it went away for a couple months, then came back worse (so again adjusted seat but nothing was working). I tried adjusting the seat in many many ways. I don't know what it is. The seating postion in the santa fe is more like up right like a normal chair, feels much more comfortable for me. But driving the santa fe is snore inducing!

I had nerve conduction exams in September, came back 100% normal thankfully. I just think it was inproper driving position. I originally though it wasn't the rdx, but the fact that it went away is kind of proof. I would take advil/tylenol, only it gives me bad heart burn.

I looked it up some more, it technically is not a narcotic, though it is classified as one. Funny that those 4 states were legalized, yet the canadian government is saying his hands are tied and can't legalize it.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
If it turns out to be the RDX (and it looks like that's what it is) and you're determined to own an SUV still, might I suggest the Mercedes ML350 (used, of course)? It replaced my TL as our other car along with our RDX. It took a little getting used to but it is an absolutely awesome and smooth riding SUV. Not to mention the comfortable seats. I purchased my 2008 with 78k miles for $17k which is considerably down from the $55k original sales price.

I know Mercedes isn't for everyone because of the cost of maintenance but that can be minimalized by finding a mechanic that specializes in Mercedes repair. It's helping me out some.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acuramon
If it turns out to be the RDX (and it looks like that's what it is) and you're determined to own an SUV still, might I suggest the Mercedes ML350 (used, of course)? It replaced my TL as our other car along with our RDX. It took a little getting used to but it is an absolutely awesome and smooth riding SUV. Not to mention the comfortable seats. I purchased my 2008 with 78k miles for $17k which is considerably down from the $55k original sales price.

I know Mercedes isn't for everyone because of the cost of maintenance but that can be minimalized by finding a mechanic that specializes in Mercedes repair. It's helping me out some.
Yes it is the rdx. Drove the santa fe for a week straight and the pain went away after day 3. So rdx is currently on the market.

That is an awesome suggestion. I love the 2G ml. Especially in black with black grill and wheels. Or silver. Do you have pics of yours? I am not scared about german maintenance, they make amazing vehicles and I have a very good independent shop from when I owned my Touareg. Currently considering the 07-09 bmw X5 as well because it is a truly sporty package and I like the options and features.

My only gripe with the ml is the little coloum mounted shifter. I don't know, just something about it remind me of a minivan. Not like the bmw's joy stick deal is any better. I really like a normal shifter. I don't get when it became obsolete.

Though you are right, I will go test drive an ml as well. I ideally would love an 08 V8 touareg with air suspension..but VERY hard to find and also already had 3. I want to give the X5 or ml a try. I had a 2005 X5 4.4i and hated it, it had the comfort suspension though.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Racer

Yes it is the rdx. Drove the santa fe for a week straight and the pain went away after day 3. So rdx is currently on the market.

That is an awesome suggestion. I love the 2G ml. Especially in black with black grill and wheels. Or silver. Do you have pics of yours? I am not scared about german maintenance, they make amazing vehicles and I have a very good independent shop from when I owned my Touareg. Currently considering the 07-09 bmw X5 as well because it is a truly sporty package and I like the options and features.

My only gripe with the ml is the little coloum mounted shifter. I don't know, just something about it remind me of a minivan. Not like the bmw's joy stick deal is any better. I really like a normal shifter. I don't get when it became obsolete.

Though you are right, I will go test drive an ml as well. I ideally would love an 08 V8 touareg with air suspension..but VERY hard to find and also already had 3. I want to give the X5 or ml a try. I had a 2005 X5 4.4i and hated it, it had the comfort suspension though.
Here are a few pics I took a couple days after I purchased. I disliked the shifter when I first test drove but once I got used to it, it was almost second nature to me. Now when I get back into the RDX, I'm looking for the steering mounted shifter for a moment and wishing it was there. My only complaint now is that with the shifter, I have no place to rest my right hand. I usually rest it on the console mounted shifter. Oh well, I guess the steering wheel is where I'm supposed to have both hands anyway...lol.

Name:  12507223_10208496295350044_6787777272382800902_n_zpsn6iswuzw.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  12410560_10208496294950034_3714983767419840398_n_zpsjyzmz3ws.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:  10299588_10208496295430046_7088914166485765338_n_zpshgoqwuy5.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  12417831_10208496295070037_6674132819013784663_n_zps4vgp9c8n.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  95.3 KB

Sorry, I didn't think to take any interior shots but there's enough pics of ML's floating around on the web and it sounds like you're pretty familiar with them. LMK if you have any questions.

Last edited by Acuramon; 02-07-2016 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Needed to remove one picture
Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Here are a few pics I took a couple days after I purchased. I disliked the shifter when I first test drove but once I got used to it, it was almost second nature to me. Now when I get back into the RDX, I'm looking for the steering mounted shifter for a moment and wishing it was there. My only complaint now is that with the shifter, I have no place to rest my right hand. I usually rest it on the console mounted shifter. Oh well, I guess the steering wheel is where I'm supposed to have both hands anyway...lol.

Sorry, I didn't think to take any interior shots but there's enough pics of ML's floating around on the web and it sounds like you're pretty familiar with them. LMK if you have any questions.
Wow! Looking sweet! Loving the white, it is very very hard to find a white ml. Many silvers and blacks though. That is my issue, I always like resting my right hand on the shifter, but I do have both hands on the wheel 50% of the time. I could probably learn to live with it after a week.

I found a silver ml350 with the gorgeous partly suede seats and (my favorite option ever) air suspension. If my RDX sells in time, I will be looking at that ml for sure.

I do have a few questions for you:

How do you find acceleration with the V6?
If you have air suspension (or not) and how you find the handling compared to your rdx?
How are you finding the 7 speed transmission?
Any issues with yours or common problems I should lookout for?

thank you
Old 02-08-2016, 01:31 AM
Racer

I first test drove a light blue metallic one with the partial suede seats. It wasn't a good experience as it looked like the seats weren't that well taken care of and the suede was on its' last leg. It was almost as if it were a flood vehicle or something. Hope the one you're considering is holding up better. I actually like the leatherette that MB uses in these better than real leather because it's more durable and supple after many years of use.

To answer your questions:
Acceleration from stop is pretty impressive considering it's a pretty heavy vehicle.
The handling is awesome, even better than my TL. However it has a tendency to lose a little composure on very bumpy patches. This is usually very briefly and, honestly, I don't know why given that it's all wheel drive.
The 7 speed transmission took a little getting used to because it takes a little longer to go through the gears. I mentioned that acceleration was good from a standstill but when you're up to speed, say about 40 mph, and you want to accelerate to pass, it takes a little more effort than the RDX.
I've had no specific issues with mine (knock on wood) but there is a pretty well known problem with balance shaft failures on the 2nd gen ML350. You can read all about it here:
ML350 3.5L Balance Shaft Failure - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Last edited by Acuramon; 02-08-2016 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Suzuka Master

I first test drove a light blue metallic one with the partial suede seats. It wasn't a good experience as it looked like the seats weren't that well taken care of and the suede was on its' last leg. It was almost as if it were a flood vehicle or something. Hope the one you're considering is holding up better. I actually like the leatherette that MB uses in these better than real leather because it's more durable and supple after many years of use.

To answer your questions:
Acceleration from stop is pretty impressive considering it's a pretty heavy vehicle.
The handling is awesome, even better than my TL. However it has a tendency to lose a little composure on very bumpy patches. This is usually very briefly and, honestly, I don't know why given that it's all wheel drive.
The 7 speed transmission took a little getting used to because it takes a little longer to go through the gears. I mentioned that acceleration was good from a standstill but when you're up to speed, say about 40 mph, and you want to accelerate to pass, it takes a little more effort than the RDX.
I've had no specific issues with mine (knock on wood) but there is a pretty well known problem with balance shaft failures on the 2nd gen ML350. You can read all about it here:
ML350 3.5L Balance Shaft Failure - Mercedes-Benz Forum
The seats on the one I am looking at look particularly clean. More than the suede, I like them because they are the sport seats. I have heard from many people that mb leatherette is nicer than their true leather which is kind of funny.

Thanks for your input. I personally am considering the ml500 over the ml350, however if there isn't much of a difference, then I would not mind the V6's most likely superior fuel economy (though not always in things this heavy). Wow, better than the tl? And I am guessing the tl is better than the rdx. Even my rdx gets very upset on bumpy roads when taking a curve, it tends to get a bit dicey (especially if there is a slight dip mid corner).

I drove the new mdx with the 9 speed for a couple days and the new genesis with the 8 speed and in both cases, having that many gears meant a 2 step drop in order to accelerate. I think 7 speeds is ideal, use the first 6 in the city and the 7th gear for highway only.

I am aware of the balance shaft, I heard it is a non issue on the 08's, but I would need to see service history for it on a 2006-07 model. I also read about valve body issues (went through this big time with the 2004-2010 touareg) and don't want to have to deal with it. So looks like I would need service records for both the valve body and balance shaft (which ironically is also common on the touareg). The issue with the x5 is that the V8 has a common coolant leak inside the engine (about a 2k fix) but no other commin issues from the tranny or driveshaft. So really looks like the best option, though I know any german car can get scary.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:29 AM
Racer

I've been told that between the two, the ML500 (or 550?) is the more fun to drive because of the extra power. You do lose some on the fuel consumption but it seems to be minimal so could be a good trade off. I've never driven an ML500 but I can imagine it must be a great experience as I've sometimes wished for more power in mine. Keep me updated on your test drives. Being a car guy, I'm always happy to hear different impressions. I'm especially interested in what you think of the X5 which I've never driven.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:13 AM
Suzuka Master

I've been told that between the two, the ML500 (or 550?) is the more fun to drive because of the extra power. You do lose some on the fuel consumption but it seems to be minimal so could be a good trade off. I've never driven an ML500 but I can imagine it must be a great experience as I've sometimes wished for more power in mine. Keep me updated on your test drives. Being a car guy, I'm always happy to hear different impressions. I'm especially interested in what you think of the X5 which I've never driven.
I really appreciate your input man! Me also being a car guy, loves reading about other peoples experiences with cars. I enjoyed reading yours with the ml. Its in my experience that when you get to 5k pounds where most germans are, that V6 and V8 fuel economy becomes negligible with V8 having better economy in some cases and MUCH better drivability in all cases. Almost always, the V6 is adequate, but the V8 is way better. Is it ml500 or ml550? I think maybe 550 and used to be 500? Lol they always change it up.

I will be sure to report back, I still haven't tested the X5 because my RDX is still firmly in the garage. But will report back as soon as I can. I want to at least test an ml before settling on a choice though.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
OP - so what vehicle did you end up with?
Old 04-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
OP - so what vehicle did you end up with?
Still looking man. Currently decided on a 2012 Kia Sorento sx...just need to find one in the price range now. In all of Canada there are like 10 for sale...so not easy to find.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:22 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Still looking man. Currently decided on a 2012 Kia Sorento sx...just need to find one in the price range now. In all of Canada there are like 10 for sale...so not easy to find.
So I take it the XC90 didn't work out.... I sat in one the other day again, I just wasn't impressed.
I feel that is the best way to go for reliability, if and when you get one, tell us what you think... Good luck shopping...
Old 04-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
So I take it the XC90 didn't work out.... I sat in one the other day again, I just wasn't impressed.
I feel that is the best way to go for reliability, if and when you get one, tell us what you think... Good luck shopping...
I decided against the xc90 because I found myself trying to make myself like it. I kept looking at pics and some mods people did and reading/watching reviews, and for whatever reason, my mind/heart could not wrap around the xc90, so it is off the list. I don't know if it the outdated boring as hell technology, the looks of the interior, the overall rattly creaky nature of the interior? I don't know.

Yeah that is one major appeal for me, I like the mix of sport, looks, options, and reliability. It just hits all the right angles and checks all the right boxes for me. Heck, using regular gas is a major bonus to me....my last 5 cars in a row have been using premium. the RDX was my most fuel efficient vehicle yet.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Null and proud of it

I decided against the xc90 because I found myself trying to make myself like it. I kept looking at pics and some mods people did and reading/watching reviews, and for whatever reason, my mind/heart could not wrap around the xc90, so it is off the list. I don't know if it the outdated boring as hell technology, the looks of the interior, the overall rattly creaky nature of the interior? I don't know.

Yeah that is one major appeal for me, I like the mix of sport, looks, options, and reliability. It just hits all the right angles and checks all the right boxes for me. Heck, using regular gas is a major bonus to me....my last 5 cars in a row have been using premium. the RDX was my most fuel efficient vehicle yet.
Really, I'm lucky to get 15 around town (Metro) in the RDX...
That really does make the most sense, good luck in finding one...
Old 04-05-2016, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Really, I'm lucky to get 15 around town (Metro) in the RDX...
That really does make the most sense, good luck in finding one...
I got around 19-20 in the city. Mostly pure city even. Was really good for me. And thanks, I need all the luck I could get
Old 04-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Null and proud of it

I just filled up right now, premium is $1.84, regular is $1.68, and 89 octane is $2.08, go figure, I'm lucky tonight!!!!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:47 PM
Null and proud of it

I decided against the xc90 because I found myself trying to make myself like it. I kept looking at pics and some mods people did and reading/watclhing reviews, and for whatever reason, my mind/heart could not wrap around the xc90, so it is off the list. I don't know if it the outdated boring as hell technology, the looks of the interior, the overall rattly creaky nature of the interior? I don't know.

I just filled up, dang... I guess I'm only half lucky!!!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I just filled up, dang... I guess I'm only half lucky!!!
Weird that premium is cheaper than mid-grade. Makes no sense! Ouch! Why is your mileage so bad? I recommend you do 2 things, first is spark plug change, and the second (much easier) is change the engine air filter!