Mercedes GLC - Clone of 1st Gen RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:10 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Mercedes GLC - Clone of 1st Gen RDX?

So, ever since the Mercedes GLC came out, I've been thinking there are some pretty good similarities from the rear, side view at least to my wife's 2010 RDX. I'd say right up to the front the two little SUV's look at least like cousins (the two are very different looking at them directly from the front...no beak on the GLC). So yesterday, I need to take my ML350 in for repairs. Much to my pleasure, the dealership gives me a GLC as a loaner. Now is my chance to compare the two firsthand. Most of the dimensions are remarkably similar. In comparing specs on Edmunds.com, the GLC and RDX are pretty much within an inch of each other in width, length and height. Interior dimensions are equally as close. The GLC gets slightly better gas mileage. They both have 4 cylinder, turbo charged engines. The RDX is 240 HP, the GLC is 241 HP. But I have to tell you, in driving the GLC over the past day, it is much quicker than the RDX. This is surprising because I always thought the RDX was pretty quick and peppy in its' own right. The space inside feels the same but the GLC, being 8 years newer, does seem much more advanced. If you're looking for a replacement for your 1st gen RDX and you have the cash, the GLC might be a pretty good contender. Pictures pulled from the internet for comparison.

Name:  2016-Mercedes-GLC-3_zpscxvqgwmj.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  78.5 KB
Name:  2010-Acura-RDX-widescreen-14_zpsq1wthc5n.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  56.5 KB

Last edited by Acuramon; 11-02-2016 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Hey man how have you been?

I can't honestly say I see any similarities. But I did like the glc originally, now I have a lot of issues stylistically with it. The front is too low sloping and doughy, the side view is really slab sided and plain and the interior feels like something is missing with the 3 vents at the top and the screen layout.

Would I drive one? Maybe, but I like the X3 way more. Compared to a 2G rdx? WAY nicer. Personally really really liking the gle coupe though. Let us know if they ever give you one of those. Sadly my Acura dealer mostly gives me ilx's and rdx's but can't complain.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:11 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
well, the thing about car design is that there are only so many designs.....
Old 11-02-2016, 09:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10
Hey man how have you been?

I can't honestly say I see any similarities. But I did like the glc originally, now I have a lot of issues stylistically with it. The front is too low sloping and doughy, the side view is really slab sided and plain and the interior feels like something is missing with the 3 vents at the top and the screen layout.

Would I drive one? Maybe, but I like the X3 way more. Compared to a 2G rdx? WAY nicer. Personally really really liking the gle coupe though. Let us know if they ever give you one of those. Sadly my Acura dealer mostly gives me ilx's and rdx's but can't complain.
Hey RDX10. Been great!

The GLC is a real kick in the pants if you enjoyed the RDX's acceleration. It's all that and more. That said, this 2016 GLC feels less luxurious than my 2008 ML. I'm also not the biggest fan of the trendy, iPad looking display but it is what it is and that seems to be the direction a lot of automakers are going. I actually like the front end (especially over our RDX which I always felt was its' biggest design flaw).

I like the x3 as well but REALLY like the new x5's. I'm hoping to keep my visits to the dealer for maintenance at a minimum...lol. But if I do get my hands on a GLE coupe, I'll be the first to report it. I also usually get stuck with an ILX whenever Acura gives me a loaner which kind of sucks as I have no interest in owning one. I'm hoping to get "stuck" with a TLX or an MDX one day.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
well, the thing about car design is that there are only so many designs.....
True! Then when someone does come up with a fresh design such as the Lexus NX, aspects of it gets copied so much (Nissan, Mazda and Hyundai this time) that everything gets blurred and it quickly becomes unoriginal in looks and feel.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Acuramon
True! Then when someone does come up with a fresh design such as the Lexus NX, aspects of it gets copied so much (Nissan, Mazda and Hyundai this time) that everything gets blurred and it quickly becomes unoriginal in looks and feel.
on top of that, top car designers get passed around.
"we'll pay you more money to design our brand"

Hyundai/Kia has poached several top designers from Audi to design their cars
and can think of several instances where designers have left for the competition
Old 11-02-2016, 10:13 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I love having a compact CUV to run around town that can haul 4 adults, handle bulky items, add a hitch/roof rack when needed, and comfortable driving position+360 degree visibility. Once you start adding all the cool bells and whistles to the GLC, the price starts to get up there in the MDX sh-awd tech or adv range with same tech for a little CUV. I love the new CUV hitting the road now like the Macan, Audi Q3/Q5, GLC, F-Pace, etc...; but, they are sooooo freaking expensive! Right now, the only replacement I see for my 08 RDX is a used +15 sh-awd MDX tech or Adv.

- +15 MDX has a smaller size than my 11 MDX (only slightly longer than my current RDX)
- better mpgs than my RDX and MDX
- more room than my RDX
- updated tech (especially a +16 MDX with AWP)
- more than enough performance in 6AT or 9AT forms match or beat my RDX and current MDX
- 2-3 year old used MDX is $10,000 - $20,000 cheaper compared to brand new CUV with the same tech

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-02-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Hey RDX10. Been great!

The GLC is a real kick in the pants if you enjoyed the RDX's acceleration. It's all that and more. That said, this 2016 GLC feels less luxurious than my 2008 ML. I'm also not the biggest fan of the trendy, iPad looking display but it is what it is and that seems to be the direction a lot of automakers are going. I actually like the front end (especially over our RDX which I always felt was its' biggest design flaw).

I like the x3 as well but REALLY like the new x5's. I'm hoping to keep my visits to the dealer for maintenance at a minimum...lol. But if I do get my hands on a GLE coupe, I'll be the first to report it. I also usually get stuck with an ILX whenever Acura gives me a loaner which kind of sucks as I have no interest in owning one. I'm hoping to get "stuck" with a TLX or an MDX one day.
Speaking of not replying lol

I don't really like the ipad in the dash design myself to be honest with you. Especially on some cars like the new CX9, seriously looks like it is missing something huge and the flow of the dash is really not there. On the other hand, navi screen in center stack with buttons under and over it is so 1990's that some change is really really needed (I think Acura does a good job with this though with the hooded navi at the top).

I find that a lot of recent luxury cars have cost cutting EVERYWHERE because they come with so much tech. The 2016 X5 rental I had has a turbo charged V6, 8 speed automatic, awd, HUD, heated front and rear seats, 4-zone climate control, heated steering wheel, power lift gate, panormaic sunroof, navigation, backup cam, front and rear sensors, and smart key with push button start as STANDARD equipment. However material quality feels somewhat cheap and grainy to offset it. Would I ever buy a BMW? ABSOLUTELY NOT EVER, I loathe ownership but love the products.

I would think that me dropping of an MDX would warrent another mdx or tlx at minimum, but like you said, would never ever buy an ilx so hate driving them. But much better than waiting at the dealer right.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:59 AM

^now, you're just sounding like rockyboy.
like....these vehicles are above our budget(def. above mine), but certainly they are still bread and butter vehicles for MB and BMW, as is the trend now-a-days....CUV's are IN!!!!
these mainstream vehicles WILL have their shortcomings and if you wanted to step up into a higher class CUV, there is the Bentley and higher classed CUV's available.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:28 PM
Suzuka Master

^now, you're just sounding like rockyboy.
like....these vehicles are above our budget(def. above mine), but certainly they are still bread and butter vehicles for MB and BMW, as is the trend now-a-days....CUV's are IN!!!!
these mainstream vehicles WILL have their shortcomings and if you wanted to step up into a higher class CUV, there is the Bentley and higher classed CUV's available.
Haha love how calling someone a "rockyboy" has now become a universal insult on the forum. But honestly don't understand how I sound like him, I have owned BMW X5's in the past (2005 and 2008) and was comparing to the 2016 model I had as a rental a couple weeks back. Was the X5 much nicer than the 2016 mdx loaner, yes absolutely, is it still at or near the top of the class in quality, yes. I was simply stating that I feel like quality has fallen compared to my past X5's. I don't recall putting Acura on a pedestal and while I agree I could not afford a new X5 or GLC/E (Still a student here) I did not mean to sound like a snooty POS.

Last edited by RDX10; 11-08-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:41 PM

^no no, i didnt mean that you sounded snooty!
just that all vehicles will have their short comings!!!

and if you wanted better interior materials, step up to the big dogs that offer "premium kobe leather"
Old 11-08-2016, 12:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10
Speaking of not replying lol
LOL! No worries, you have established credit already! Now those one post whippersnappers... that's a different story.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

^no no, i didnt mean that you sounded snooty!
just that all vehicles will have their short comings!!!

and if you wanted better interior materials, step up to the big dogs that offer "premium kobe leather"
Haha all good, I can see how it can be interpreted like that without knowing my previous history. It was still very nice (DEFINITELY put my mdx interior to shame). Someday justin someday we shall be wiping our asses with kobe leather haha.

LOL! No worries, you have established credit already! Now those one post whippersnappers... that's a different story.
Haha thanks man! I often post on all different corners of this forum, end up forgetting till a few days later or I check my history. Hate not having something telling me I have at least been quoted.