The agony of the decision: RDX vs. EX35

Old 11-27-2007, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The agony of the decision: RDX vs. EX35

Spent a lot of time going back and forth between the RDX and the EX35 at the L.A. Auto Show.

Wow, it is a tough decision.

I preferred the EX35's interior finish and features as well as the exterior styling compared to the RDX.

But, I was so disappointed by the puny cargo area and super-cramped backseat. I thought the RDX did a better overall job of delivering a true CUV.

I'm leaning towards the RDX, but it is painful. The EX35 was quite nice.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Racer

I saw the EX at a car show, too. Seems to me the EX is so small that it does not really compete with the RDX. The EX is more like a hatchback than a SUV. If you're looking for a sedan that can hold a little more cargo, then the EX makes sense. If you want to be able to carry 4 regular sized adults with luggage on a road trip, then the RDX will work but the EX will not.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am a big infiniti fan myself, but I think the production EX styling is a bit too wagonesque and I prefer the interior of the RDX as well.

For me it comes down mostly to: price and horsepower. The EX will cost more and will be faster. If you do not need the space, then it's the better performance choice.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Yeah, the EX certainly has the edge in interior design and luxury, power, and even technology.

The RDX remains a better value and a more reasonable choice for someone who regularly uses the back seats or cargo area.

I've read a lot about the EX, and it seems that it is designed for a buyer who really wants a coupe but also wouldn't mind being able to go to Costco on the weekends. So, if you're a one or two person household and you don't carry lots of stuff on a regular basis (and therefore don't mind power folding (!) the rear seats down to expand your cargo area for those times you need to go beyond the puny 17 cubic feet behind the seats), what's not to like? It will have a best-in-class interior, potentially best-in-class handling, best-in-class technology, and some very nice accommodations for you, one passenger, and a golf bag or two. If you can afford the 5-10% premium over the RDX, I say go for it!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

Intersting that I spent a lot of time going in between the RL and the "M". Nice that the two manufacturers were right next to each other at the show! Made it easier.

Did you see the EX with the dark red interior? Not my cup of tea, but Infiniti is to be applauded for colors other than black, beige and grey (no matter what names they call them). Man, they have the Acura interiors beat hands down. You spend most of your time inside the vehicle...

However, I think it looks kinda wierd from the outside. Maybe I'll get used to it?
Old 11-28-2007, 01:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
The Honda Fit has 4.5 cu/ft more cargo than the EX -- that's nearly a Miata trunkful -- and 2 cu/ft more passenger volume as well, in a package that's 2 feet shorter.

Infiniti has taken to calling this a Personal Luxury Crossover, and they aren't kidding, emphasis on personal.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 AM
Instructor

The EX will be a major failure for Infiniti. I say that and I'm a fan of Infinity. What a horrible design mistake. The EX is a little sports car. How many people - mostly single guys and couples - want a sports car with a little tiny wagon hatch? That doesn't make any sense.

Acura has made some design mistakes too. Take the RL. Acura's flagship car can only carry four adults. What kind of sense does that make? Nobody but a dwarf can sit in the middle seat in the back row. My wife is only 5'7" and she couldn't sit in the middle seat of the back row without bending her head forward at the neck. That's ridiculous. You can fit five in the TL/TL-S but only four in the flagship car? I'm assuming it's the SH-AWD in the RL that causes the problem, but brother what a problem.

The RL isn't as big a design mistake as the EX. Not even close. The EX will have little trade-in value in just a few short years. They won't be able to give them away.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:52 AM
Race Director

I have to see the EX35 in person to make a final decision myself. I was thinking of trading in the TSX for the new 2nd gen Murano, G35x, EX35, or Rogue.

Sorry guys yes the RDX has space and I like the turbo, but 4 things made me look past the RDX:

1. Not a fan of the front end unfortunately and has no LED taillights in the back.
2. It's not Made in Japan, while the Murano, EX35, and Rogue are Made in Japan.
3. Gas mileage is poor for an SUV for it's size.
4. Honda/Acura navigations are no longer touch screen, while the Nissan/Infiniti ones have the option of touch screen or you can use the joystick to scroll through the menus. Why is Honda moving away from the touch screen?? Bonehead move on their part.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Advanced

I was waiting for the EX, but decided on the RDX because of only this fact - the EX will be all new and running the 3.5 motor. I wouldnt buy it until the second year of production and even then may hold out until they put the 3.7 in it.

To Plainsman, regarding the sportswagon vs SUV vs Crossover - I just traded out of my Turbo Outback. That car was very much more sporty than the RDX is. I was in an evasive manuver situation in the RDX a couple of days ago and was amazed at how unstable it felt. There is a niche for everyone and their needs. I was looking for a little more cargo room for coolers and rods than I had in the outback. We have a Lexus sedan, so transporting more than 2 persons was not a consideration for the Outback or the RDX.

In a couple of years, I'll be giving the EX a long look.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:22 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
if u want a G35 with a hatch, get the EX. If you want utility & people moving at the same time, i think the choice is obvious.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pote757
I was waiting for the EX, but decided on the RDX because of only this fact - the EX will be all new and running the 3.5 motor. I wouldnt buy it until the second year of production and even then may hold out until they put the 3.7 in it.

To Plainsman, regarding the sportswagon vs SUV vs Crossover - I just traded out of my Turbo Outback. That car was very much more sporty than the RDX is. I was in an evasive manuver situation in the RDX a couple of days ago and was amazed at how unstable it felt. There is a niche for everyone and their needs. I was looking for a little more cargo room for coolers and rods than I had in the outback. We have a Lexus sedan, so transporting more than 2 persons was not a consideration for the Outback or the RDX.

In a couple of years, I'll be giving the EX a long look.
Well, some folks don't have 3+ kids, so a four seater car, or 2.5 seater with the EX, tiny passenger room is not a problem. I just hate being cramped, sporty or not. With 3 kids, I want to be sure that EVERY car in my home fleet can accomodate five adult-sized people, because you never know. Over the weekend, all five of us went out in the RDX for the first time (my kids are teenagers). It was comfortable for all five of us. The EX would be horrible. Froom the looks of it, I don't think it's comfortable for even four people.

Regarding the Turbo Outback and Forester. Yes, very fast. I've driven one. More turbo lag than the RDX but faster in the 0 to 60. The interiors are very unimpressive. You have to step all the way up to the B9 to get a classy interior. Also, except for the B9, hardly any Subaru's SUVs have the tinted windows. The major problem with those cars is the lack of legroom in the second row. It's horrible! I sat alone in the seond row in the Forester and was totally cramped. I was shocked at the lack of legroom. If I can't bring my knees together in the second row the car is too small.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The EX will be a major failure for Infiniti. I say that and I'm a fan of Infinity. What a horrible design mistake. The EX is a little sports car. How many people - mostly single guys and couples - want a sports car with a little tiny wagon hatch? That doesn't make any sense.
I disagree here. The FX isn't that roomy and it was successful. A G35 with some practicality is a definite hit. Luxo CUV's are a a successful market and most buyers don't car much about a few inches in rear seat room as none us really haul around adults back there. G35's have a smaller back seat, but the seating position is more reclined and I found it quite comfortable.

That being said, I must be the only one who prefers the RDX interior over the EX.

Regarding the Turbo Outback and Forester. Yes, very fast. I've driven one. More turbo lag than the RDX but faster in the 0 to 60. .
I jut came from owning a Forester. It's just not refined at all. Noisy, rattles. interior quality is alright, but very bland design and lacking a few features too. Stock handling isn't very good either. The only thing it was over an RDX/EX is weight and the ability to modify it.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:34 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I have to see the EX35 in person to make a final decision myself. I was thinking of trading in the TSX for the new 2nd gen Murano, G35x, EX35, or Rogue.

Sorry guys yes the RDX has space and I like the turbo, but 4 things made me look past the RDX:

1. Not a fan of the front end unfortunately and has no LED taillights in the back.
2. It's not Made in Japan, while the Murano, EX35, and Rogue are Made in Japan.
3. Gas mileage is poor for an SUV for it's size.
4. Honda/Acura navigations are no longer touch screen, while the Nissan/Infiniti ones have the option of touch screen or you can use the joystick to scroll through the menus. Why is Honda moving away from the touch screen?? Bonehead move on their part.
I have an '07 G35X as well as an '07RDX. I would wholeheartedly recommend the G35X. It's fast, good looking and the technology is superior to the RDX. Everything (phone, nav, etc.) is voice activitated via one button on the steering wheel. In addition, the touch screen is great. Settings are also easy through a touchpad under the nav screen, everything from light sensitivity to radio settings to seat sliding back on entry/exit. I don't know how the EX 35 will be but I plan to look at it when I get rid of my G35X.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:23 AM
big shot.

Well id say if you are coming from a TSX, u may not need the additional cargo space that the RDX will offer. Also, if u want something more sporty then defgo with the G35 (it is a car, of course). Or, id really wait and see what the 09 TSX is, if it gets the RDX engine that will be one sik vehicle.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by ThePlainsman

Regarding the Turbo Outback and Forester. Yes, very fast. I've driven one. More turbo lag than the RDX but faster in the 0 to 60. The interiors are very unimpressive. You have to step all the way up to the B9 to get a classy interior. Also, except for the B9, hardly any Subaru's SUVs have the tinted windows. The major problem with those cars is the lack of legroom in the second row.
Subaru makes quality vehicles, but they waited until 2008 to put Side Curtain Airbags in the Impreza, and the Forester still doesn't have them. Both of these vehicles are now Top Safety Picks, and that's a feat considering there is no side airbag protection for the Forester rear seat occupant and the C pillar strikes their head.

Additionally, the TSP is only for models with stability control (Subaru calls it VDC). You must buy the Forester 2.5XT hotrod to get essential safety equipment. The common 2.5X most families will buy (incl LL Bean) is NOT a Top Safety Pick.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Advanced

I had quality issues with my outback, which is one reason i traded it. You are right about tinting and some other basic stuff, like no XM or ipod connect (in the 06), a really loud sunroof, stupid tech package and a lot of other petty things. The car was comfortable to me and I'm not haulin rugrats, but the back seat was a joke, no question. I never looked at the forrester, it was ugly to me and the B9 was a minivan I didnt want.

Frankly, safety gear is not the #1 or even #2 selling point for me. All cars today are safer than 8-10 years ago. I want reliability, retained value, comfort and function. Yea, so there are a couple of airbags. But since I'm american, drink holders, and lots of them are what I need! lol
Old 11-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
What an interesting thread because I have the same thoughts too!

As my TSX becomes 4 years old, I am wondering if I should trade it in and get a new car which has a bit more utility than my TSX. I wanted the RDX because it's got almost everything that I need, except for its relatively poor gas mileage and I really don't like the front either. I also would prefer a more luxurious interior too. The MDX is too big though.

Then comes the EX35! It looks absolutely beautiful inside and out! However, it is much more money than the RDX (when loaded) and its gas mileage is not going to be any better. I need to see the interior for myself to see if it really is THAT small like many people say...

So, which one should I get? I have decided to wait for the new Audi Q5 and 2009 A4 to come out - maybe the A4 wagon would just be perfect for me! Otherwise, perhaps I can get the 328 xiT.... and hey, who knows, perhaps the new TSX and TL will be even more fabulous than these wonderful cars?

By 2009, there should be many more choices... so I will just get the extended warranty for my TSX for now and see what happens in a couple of years time!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was totally unimpressed by the EX and don't think it will be a hit. It has got a gorgeous interior, and a sweet V6, but the visability out the back is FJ Cruiser bad. Horrible. This would be a very hard vehicle to live with for that reason along. Add in a ridiculously small back seat, and very little real storage, and I just don't see the point.

Heck, I'd go for a 3-series wagon first. The only thing the EX35 has over that vehicle is more gizmos.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:49 AM
haole kama'a-ina

Received 123 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
4. Honda/Acura navigations are no longer touch screen, while the Nissan/Infiniti ones have the option of touch screen or you can use the joystick to scroll through the menus. Why is Honda moving away from the touch screen??
While the touchscreen and control knob are useful, they divert attention from the primary task, which is why other manufacturers inhibit them in motion. Honda is leading the industry toward voice activation.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:20 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 737 Jock
While the touchscreen and control knob are useful, they divert attention from the primary task, which is why other manufacturers inhibit them in motion. Honda is leading the industry toward voice activation.
The Infiniti voice recognition is, IMO, superior to the Acura by a wide margin. You almost never have to repeat anything.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:31 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by darth62
The Infiniti voice recognition is, IMO, superior to the Acura by a wide margin. You almost never have to repeat anything.
+1
Old 11-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I had a chance to sit in and play with the EX35 at the LA Auto Show as well. Overall, I like it, but there are just somethings that I just do not like about this car:

- You can't cut off the voice prompts if you already know what your selections are. You always have to wait for the voice prompt to finish playing before you can speak your next command.
- The door handles on the outside of the car feel cheap and plasticky.
- The quality of the interior materials is incredibly inconsistent and vary over such a broad range of quality from materials that feel exceptional to certain parts that just felt cheap.
- The bulbous look just does nothing for me. On some cars (Porsche, for example) the flowing curves and the wide haunches work beautifully, but it just looks awkward on this vehicle, even in person.

Overall, it is very nice and it would probably be something I would test drive, but I doubt I could ever bring myself to buy one, if nothing else just because I do not like SUVs in general.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:20 AM
big shot.

voice recognition in the Acura BLOWS. my gf's tsx has never understood a complete phone number, EVER. Neither has the TL. you wind up talking to the car like its a kindergartener then you realize just how absurd what you are doing really is, then pick up the phone and dial the number yourself LOL
Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by MMike1981
voice recognition in the Acura BLOWS. my gf's tsx has never understood a complete phone number, EVER. Neither has the TL. you wind up talking to the car like its a kindergartener then you realize just how absurd what you are doing really is, then pick up the phone and dial the number yourself LOL
yeah i need to talk slow whenever i use the voice recognition in my TSX too.

when i said temperature 63 degrees, the male or female voice replies fan speed 3. wtf?? i said it when all the windows are closed too and i talked loud and slow.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
You guys who cannot get the Acura to recognize your speech must speak funny normally. Unless the A/C or the defroster is on full blast, I have never had problems getting the car to recognize my commands for the BT or for other commands.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:44 AM
big shot.

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
You guys who cannot get the Acura to recognize your speech must speak funny normally. Unless the A/C or the defroster is on full blast, I have never had problems getting the car to recognize my commands for the BT or for other commands.
speak funny, ahhhh nooo. public speaking is part of my job (and altho thats not synonomous with me having a good voice) im pretty sure i speak clearly and intelligently. it just doesnt recognize, plain and simple, me or my gf, or her parents, and a family member who has a TL who is also a lawyer (she speaks pretty well

maybe your voice just works better with the computer that recognizes it