Kayak tie down

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 02:47 PM
That turbo though.....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kayak tie down

Hey all,
I just bought a kayak, and I'm trying to tie it down on to the top of my RDX. I can't seem to find the front and rear tie down spots. Are there any suggestions on where these may be located? Any advice would be helpful!
Old 06-01-2015, 10:42 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Does the RDX have a small panel on the bumper that comes off to reveal a tow hook mounting point (at work, so can't look at mine)?

I know all my other Honda's have. If so, I'd thing that would be a good spot.

Are you using the factory roof rack? I'd really like a kayak.......in fact, I was looking at some just yesterday.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am in the process of installing a two person kayak on my RDX. I purchased some aftermarket roof rack, the kind that clamp on. I just installed the rear receiver hitch. I'm in the process of making a front receiver hitch. it will be all custom fabbed, as could not find anyone making a front receiver hitch. Front receiver hitches are great for moving trailers and installing winches. In this case I will make a metal tube to go into the hitch and reach up to the front of the kayak to support it and lock it. This is extreme overkill if you are going just a couple of miles to launch your kayak. I tow my RDX on a trailer behind my motorhome so it will be sitting up there for thousands of miles.
Mike
Old 07-23-2015, 06:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope photos come through. These are the Rhino Racks, I have driven about thirty miles with no problem, seems very solid, at least up to 65mph. I still haven't made the front receiver hitch.
Mike