Headrest adjustment?

Old 04-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headrest adjustment?

The forward tilting headrest on the RDX seat is a little uncomfortable, is there any adjustment possible?
Old 05-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Instructor

I agree it's somewhat uncomfortable, but I don't know of any adjustments for it except up or down.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:18 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt you'll find a forward/back adjustment to the headrest. It's part of an active head restraint system that helps close the gap more quickly between your head and the headrest during a rear end collision.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:40 PM
Photographer

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
I doubt you'll find a forward/back adjustment to the headrest. It's part of an active head restraint system that helps close the gap more quickly between your head and the headrest during a rear end collision.
exactly. also i dont feel it uncomforatable at all.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:53 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There is no adjustment to the H Rest. This design is made to prevent possible whiplash effect in the event of a rear end collision. You can play with the backrest position and lumbar support which changes the biomechanics of the spine when sitting, however it may lead to back discomfort and neck strain from having to actively hold your head forward and slouching and not coming in contact with the headrest.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 248 Likes on 229 Posts
Don't really see the problem myself. Both shoulders are touching the back of the seat and the headrest is a few inches away from my head. Hit a bad bump and yes my hair might just touch for a split second but not a big deal. Actually find it quite nice at a long light or traffic tie up to just be able to tilt my head a couple of inches back and rest against the headrest.

I am assuming it is set up this way, non adjustable I mean, because of the active headrest restraint system and it if was adjustable it would not work as intended.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:59 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

How is it uncomfortable? You are not supposed to be using it for support full time. It only matters in a whiplash scenario.
Old 11-03-2007, 12:32 PM
3rd Gear

Unhappy Headrest Problem

My husband and I both have an RDX. He finds the seat extremely comfortable, but he's sort of hunch backed so the head rest does not bother him. I have very straight posture and I have started getting neck pains because if I let my upper back rest on the seat back, then my head is pushed forward by the headrest. Alternatively, if my head touches the head rest, and I wish to keep my posture straight, my upper back cannot rest on the seat back.

I've temporarily secured a cushion below the head rest to support my upper back.

How about a new head rest, Acura, which can tilt back for the straight-backed dancers, soldiers, etc. of this world?
Old 11-03-2007, 03:38 PM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could mean, that you just have bad posture, thats why you feel uncomfortable.
Not here to be sarcastic or mean..i'm just being forward.
I love the back support on the car, and headrest is perfect as is.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:33 AM
3rd Gear

Red face oh my!

Right! I should have avoided "good" or "bad"! So, let's just say there is diversity of postures in this world, and if your posture does not bow forward from the shoulders up you are in trouble in the RDX seat, and from the sounds of this thread (and other forums), I'm not the only one...eh?

I love the seat itself; I love the car; I just have to put a cushion behind shoulders to be comfortable, and a tilting headrest would fix the problem.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't find headrest uncomfortable at all. You should be happy to know that the RDX headrest was rated very highly in preventing neck and back injuries in a rear end collision. You will find a similar headrest design on all Acura's, MB's, BMW's, Volvo's, and all quality vehicles.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Instructor

As stated earlier it must be due to the active head restraint system,I am 6'3'' and
have not noticed any problems
Old 11-04-2007, 01:25 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
its the ahrs ( made my own abbreviation) and will likely not change
Old 11-05-2007, 11:13 AM
3rd Gear

So, I cut just the right size pillow for my shoulders and attached it with velcro to the seat, and now all is well. The head rest hits my head in the correct place for safety, but I don't have to sit with my head forward.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Advanced

It only bugs me when I'm wearing a ponytail!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear

Forward tilting headrest in 2014 RDX - uncomfortable

Found this post. Even it was posted 2007, 6 years later in 2013 I think the seat is still the same. The forward tilting HR bothers me as well and caused neck pain already, and I just got my 2014 RDX for 3 weeks (2 weeks in the shop already for another issue).

Anyone has a solution for this? Add neck pillow? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Car-Se...-/270919854162

I have tried different back position and adjusted lumbar support to no avail.

Thanks,
LS
Old 08-10-2013, 01:17 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts
This thread has convinced me to go and try the idea given to me by
my Acura salesman .

I'm going to Clint's trim shop , pull the headrest cover , take out
some of the front foam and sew it back up.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Light-speed
... The forward tilting HR bothers me as well and caused neck pain already, and I just got my 2014 RDX for 3 weeks (2 weeks in the shop already for another issue). Anyone has a solution for this? ...

There is a picture in the OM (owner's manual) which shows how to properly adjust the headrest, up-and-down, relative to the height of a person's head, when seated in the RDX seat. The pic also shows how most people are going to adjust both the seat bottom, and the seatback.

The headrest is only tilting 'forward' relative to the seat-back, which most people have adjusted slightly tilted backward. In that case, the headrest is actually vertical. And also most people will have the seat bottom tilted slightly backward (higher in front).

Check the seat rearward-rake and 'forward' tilting headrest in my avatar.

Of course, if you drive with the seatback vertical and/ or the seat bottom horizontal, then, and only then, is the headrest tilted forward.
---------

Secondly, it is possible that, again, the headrest has not been adjusted and vertically positioned correctly. The forward face of the headrest is not flat, so adjusting it up-or-down slightly, may mean it is no longer touching the back of your head.

And adjusting the entire seat up-or-down slightly, may enble you to find a more comfortable tilt (rake) to the seat, that allows the headrest to be vertical rather than tilted forward.
---------

The headrest on all vehicles is tilted forward, relative to the seatback. It may be that the RDX headrest is a bit more tilted than other vehicles, but all headrests are tilted, so I am a bit puzzled by this thread. All headrests are tilted ‘forward’, because most people ride with the seatback tilted (slightly) backward.

It would seem that if the RDX headrest is a problem, then other vehicle seats would also be a problem.

I just find it difficult to believe that there is not some RDX seat adjustment that would be acceptable – but I guess that is the reason for a test drive before purchase.

Last edited by dcmodels; 08-14-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:55 AM
2nd Gear

THE most uncomfortable headrest EVER!

Thanks for all the tips. I've tried them all. I've never had a more uncomfortable headrest. It's awful! I wish I had noticed it during our test drive. I would not have purchased the car. No matter what I do, my head tilts forward if I lean back on the seat. It's not a posture issue. It's and ACURA design issue. I guess I'm going to do what others have suggested and add a pillow to push the seatback forward. It's a shame that on a car like this that I'm required to have more junk in the car. YUCK!!!!

If anyone has found a replacement headrest I'd love to buy one.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:56 AM
2nd Gear

Did it work?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:07 AM
3rd Gear

Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm very short (4' 11") with preexisting neck issues, and relatively straight posture. No matter where I put the headrest, it causes radiating pain. Even the small pillows on eBay look too large, to me. I'm about ready to take the driver's headrest off entirely.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AmyK
Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm very short (4' 11") with preexisting neck issues, and relatively straight posture. No matter where I put the headrest, it causes radiating pain. Even the small pillows on eBay look too large, to me. I'm about ready to take the driver's headrest off entirely.
You'll need to take your seat to a professional Automotive Upholstery shop. Look for one in your area. I've seen many of them do amazing customization work for each customer's specific body type and posture. Very reasonable cost as well.