Front end protection bra: clear versus leather?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end protection bra: clear versus leather?

Hello RDX'ers,
My first post as I am a new RDX owner (black/black 2010 AWD, no tech). I live in Oregon and go skiing just about every weekend. My last ride was a black 2002 Highlander and it suffered cosmetically from all the rocks (not sand) that ODOT applies to the roads for traction. I had intended to buy a bra that I could take off in the summer but have heard that the leather or synthetic bras should not be used where it is wet (which would obviously be a problem in Oregon). I'm very leery though about putting the plastic film protection on my car. So looking for opinions from this forum about pros/cons of each or if there are other alternatives. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Leather is definitely not the way to go. 1st, they trap water and debris underneath them which does more to damage you paint then it does to protect it. 2nd, they block out the sun which causes a 2 tone paint effect with time as the exposed paint fades (evenly) in the sun and the "protected" portion does not fade.

The clear bra has some disadvantages but they are minor compared to the leather. You can experience yellowing with cheap films and some of the cheaper films also have some orange peel to them.

I would highly recommend the clear bra over leather, just do some research on the company who is installing it and what film they use.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:56 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the reply black label. From you and other sources, it sure sounds like clear is the way to go. Just need to figure out which is the best film - based on some research on the net last night there is no clear 'best' product.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Clear bra is the best way to go for all the reasons black label notes.

Clear bra material such as 3M, is made in bulk, but depends on a middle man such as Xpel (www.xpel.com) to make kits, usually by designing patterns on a computer and using a laser plotter to cut them out the bulk material.

When I was researching installers some time ago, I called 7, people and most all of them said they would sell you any material from 3M being the most expensive to at least a couple of others, Venture Shield and Clear Shield. Most of the installers told me that As to which product, my installer says depends on the color.

Several installers have said xpel makes the best patterns (e.g., easiest to install), regardless of the film that I choose, they would use xpel patterns.

Regards actual experience. I have one black car with 3M that is going on 4 years old, and the film is very good condition. There was an initial orange peel effect when viewed very close up, but it seems to have abated after 4 years.

A relative of mine just got 3M applied to a Polished Metal Metallic car, and the orange peel is either improved in the new version of the film, or is much less conspicuous with the gray than the black color.

Another relative of mine decided, about two years ago, to go with VentureShield on his black car. The difference is startling. Don't know why, but the VentureShield looks bad, lots of pits or something in it after 2 years There are areas that look as if the clear coat of the vinyl has been penetrated, and moisture is delaminating the clear coat in the vinyl, almost like little opaque spots, the size of a pinhead to about the size of the "O" in QUARTER DOLLAR writing on US quarter coin.

I cannot speak to yellowing since both cars are black.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 PM
10th Gear

Chas,
Thanks for the info - very helpful, especially since my RDX is black.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Chas2 brings up a good point about different films working better with different colors.

When it comes to which company installs it, see how much they back their product up. I used to use a company called "Autobahnd" and the specific franchise backed the product (3M or Avery Dennison) for 5 years not to peel or discolor or tear although I don't know if that warranty was franchise specific. FWIW, In my neck of the woods, if you have the clear bra and get into an accident, the insurance will pay to replace it as part of the claim, YMMV.

Last edited by black label; 09-15-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: In the time I typed you acknowledged Chas2 for the color info, kudos to you for listening.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Intermediate

To the original OP, I am going with a genuine Acura RDX bra, got it off fleabay for $65 US shipped. I live in Vancouver Canada, lots of wet rainy weather and I am only looking at using it from Dec until April roughly. During these months we don't get a tonne of sunshine mostly gray and rainy and for the few hours of sun each day during this time of the year the fading issue is a very moot to non existent point.

I have had 2 vehicles with clear bras, it is a good method and I had no yellowing or orange peel issue but when you wax your vehicle you have to take tme to get rid of the wax line buildup on the clear film where it meets the unprotected painted surface.

Just ensure you give your vehicle a good wax protection before applying a bra if you go that route. I just want to protect stone and rock chips during ski chips and daily driving and remove it come nicer weather.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cisco kid
To the original OP, I am going with a genuine Acura RDX bra, got it off fleabay for $65 US shipped. I live in Vancouver Canada, lots of wet rainy weather and I am only looking at using it from Dec until April roughly. During these months we don't get a tonne of sunshine mostly gray and rainy and for the few hours of sun each day during this time of the year the fading issue is a very moot to non existent point.

I have had 2 vehicles with clear bras, it is a good method and I had no yellowing or orange peel issue but when you wax your vehicle you have to take tme to get rid of the wax line buildup on the clear film where it meets the unprotected painted surface.

Just ensure you give your vehicle a good wax protection before applying a bra if you go that route. I just want to protect stone and rock chips during ski chips and daily driving and remove it come nicer weather.
cool! let us know how it turns out by april. clear seems good but a cheaper alternative (leather or whatnot) might be worth a shot if indeed there's no problem with it - i might do that in the future what with my driving pattern becoming even more hwy oriented by that time as well (moving to burbs - 40 miles to ofc one way )
Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
FWIW, I've only had my black '11 RDX with 3M clear bra for about a month or so, but it seems to be a good investment and I haven't seen any orange peel or chips/pits yet. Granted it is very soon, but I do a lot of highway driving, so it could deteriorate.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:53 AM
10th Gear

Quick update since this thread has perked up towards the top again.

I went with the 3m product on the front area, mirrors, behind the door handles and the full hood because I did not want to see the line.

I spent most of the Thanksgiving week driving back and forth to our ski area on Mt Hood. Very snowy/icy roads that were topped with the rocks that are used for traction here. I took a number of hits from vehicles in front or going in the other direction but the clear bra worked perfectly - no dings or scratches. Very impressed with it. I did take a hit on the front fender behind with the bra covering stops - very good reminder of why I spent the $$ on the clear bra.

Quick note about the RDX in snow/ice - very impressed with it's traction capability. I went with Michelin X-Ice studless snow tires and am really pleased with how the RDX deals with difficult conditions - especially glare ice.