Car towed, how screwed can it be

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car towed, how screwed can it be

So this morning on my way to work, some guy ran a red light and took out my front bumper ripped the headlights out. PD was called and they called their towing company that was being used. Info and whatnot was exchanged and we was free to go. It did not hit me til after i left that the car awd, doh!, and it was in parked. I did not think to leave the keys either. I cant recall if it was a flatbed that came to tow the car or the one that lifts the front wheels only. How screwed am i? I guess ill have to check where the car was parked for skidmarks.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
their insurance will take care of it.
The following users liked this post:
TacoBello (12-12-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 11:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
I'm not here to make it worse or make you feel bad, but this is pretty much all due to your negligence. You should have been on top of it and made sure it was flat bedded, or at minimum with a dolly on the rear wheels. This is a full time AWD car, best case it effed up the shawd components, worst case your tranny is bye bye as well.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:44 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I see a lot more flatbed tow truck now days compared to the old lift/drag types.

It might have been the best scenario to forget to give them the keys. If they had the RDX keys and didn't bring a flatbed, the tow truck might have done the lift and drag the rear wheels on the road thing with the RDX in neutral. Without the keys, they had to use a dolly for the rear wheels for the lift/drag tow truck OR used a cable/winch to drag it up the ramp if they had a flatbed.

There is always the possibility the tow truck driver knows about the transmission shift lock release near the gear shift (black tab located near rear of gear shift). The tow truck driver can use that to shift the RDX into neutral before towing. I would ask how the RDX was towed and see if the tab is moved/missing.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:06 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
^ Like mrg said, ask how the RDX was towed. You kind of put the cart before the horse.

I've been hit more than a few times. Best case it's upsetting, worst case you and/or your passenger(s) are injured or dead.

Maybe forgive him for his failure to take "proper care".

And if it was towed wrong and caused damage, who is at fault? The tower or the tow-ee?
Old 12-12-2016, 01:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DRR98
^ Like mrg said, ask how the RDX was towed. You kind of put the cart before the horse.

I've been hit more than a few times. Best case it's upsetting, worst case you and/or your passenger(s) are injured or dead.

Maybe forgive him for his failure to take "proper care".

And if it was towed wrong and caused damage, who is at fault? The tower or the tow-ee?

This is a multi-faceted issue. Let's assume that yes it was towed only with the front wheels and not in neutral. If OP called the tow truck, it becomes his issue, if his company called the tow truck they are on the hook. Now here is the big wrench, the tow truck guy will not admit that he did it if he did to save his job and his company can say how do they know it was after or from the accident..:this could get sticky.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:00 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
this is pretty much all due to your negligence.
Have you ever been in a wreck? Even after a minor accident, details (such as what type of truck your car is being towed with) aren't at the forefront of your mind.

If OP called the tow truck, it becomes his issue, if his company called the tow truck they are on the hook. .
He stated above that the towing company was called out by the police.

Given that AWD vehicles are becoming more and more common, it wouldn't surprise me is the company took the proper precautions.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:32 PM
Pro

It make the towing company either more or less responsible depending on who called them?

Bummer!
Old 12-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jdrum1
Have you ever been in a wreck? Even after a minor accident, details (such as what type of truck your car is being towed with) aren't at the forefront of your mind.

He stated above that the towing company was called out by the police.

Given that AWD vehicles are becoming more and more common, it wouldn't surprise me is the company took the proper precautions.
Yes I have been in 2 wrecks actually. While I agree that accidents can be disorienting, and I am not trying to point fingers at OP or make him feel worse (as mentioned initially) I still think OP should have waited and made sure it was taken away properly. Perhaps the use of the word "negligence" was unfair and too foreward, it was what came to mind at the time and maybe implies something negative towards OP which was not my intention.

As DRR98 said, it looks like the onus is on the towing company since the police called them.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I'm not here to make it worse or make you feel bad, but this is pretty much all due to your negligence. You should have been on top of it and made sure it was flat bedded, or at minimum with a dolly on the rear wheels. This is a full time AWD car, best case it effed up the shawd components, worst case your tranny is bye bye as well.
Thats a bit harsh to say it's his negligence. That's the last thing I'd be thinking about after being in an accident.

Either way, don't worry about it, OP. Like Thoiboi said, if there are any issues, the insurance company will take care of it. My thought is the tow truck driver knew your car was AWD, unless it's his first day on the job. Insurance will cover all the repairs anyway (assuming you have collision on your car, and I don't see why you wouldn't).
Old 12-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Thats a bit harsh to say it's his negligence. That's the last thing I'd be thinking about after being in an accident.

Either way, don't worry about it, OP. Like Thoiboi said, if there are any issues, the insurance company will take care of it. My thought is the tow truck driver knew your car was AWD, unless it's his first day on the job. Insurance will cover all the repairs anyway (assuming you have collision on your car, and I don't see why you wouldn't).

No you guys are right, that was not the right word to use at all and especially after an accident. So OP I appologize for saying that, that is a harsh word and I really didn't think enough before saying it. I was just trying to get across that OP should have made sure because he may have trouble getting compensation if anything is wrong after improper towing, but again really wrong choice of words!
Old 12-13-2016, 08:33 AM
Pro

In that case,Cheers! Here's to not getting hit again. I hate when that happens!
Old 12-22-2016, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just an FYI on towing an SH-AWD RDX...

When the RDX's transmission is in Park, it locks the central driveshaft and the rear wheels do not move, but the fronts spin freely.

I verified this by putting the RDX fully up on stands and spinning each wheel by hand (when I was doing basic tire rotation maintenance).
Old 12-22-2016, 07:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2005 Silver Bullet
Just an FYI on towing an SH-AWD RDX...

When the RDX's transmission is in Park, it locks the central driveshaft and the rear wheels do not move, but the fronts spin freely.

I verified this by putting the RDX fully up on stands and spinning each wheel by hand (when I was doing basic tire rotation maintenance).
Wow so my habit of always using the E-brake when I park was wise in this case. I do wonder though how it is possible to have the fronts spin freely and rear lock on a fwd based car?
Old 12-26-2016, 02:57 PM
Pro

I wonder how it worked out for the OP? 14 posts and 2 weeks later...gobahhh-bye?
Old 01-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

Well 2 people towed the car, from the accident to yard, and from there to the shop. Either one or both used the shift lock because the tab is off.

Just picked the car up today, sure feels quicker than that Kia Sorento loaner. It seems to have a slight jerk going from Park to Drive, but didnt do it when i've gave it a second or two before going.

I need to do the 100k maintenance and report back. Been busying getting the "race car" civic ready for this year.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 PM
5th Gear

hopefully all as well, and no dmg.