Air Bag Recall

Old 07-02-2016, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I will have to start throwing a fit.

Im in Southern Ohio, I have called a few times over the past few months to try and get things fixed. No dealership will give me a loaner, lucky I have multiple cars.

I now have airbag lights on and still no response from them. They keep blowing me off saying its probably just a seat plug. I checked the code and have an SRS 11-11 for driver airbag open circuit and still dealerships near me just tell me its no big deal and wait. Every dealership around here thinks I'm some clueless Acura owner, not a guy with a $4k Snap-on scanner.....

I must be playing too nice because I am getting no where when I call in my area. What are you all doing to get things moving? Must be time to call Acura corporate...
Old 07-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by OhRDX
I think I will have to start throwing a fit.

Im in Southern Ohio, I have called a few times over the past few months to try and get things fixed. No dealership will give me a loaner, lucky I have multiple cars.

I now have airbag lights on and still no response from them. They keep blowing me off saying its probably just a seat plug. I checked the code and have an SRS 11-11 for driver airbag open circuit and still dealerships near me just tell me its no big deal and wait. Every dealership around here thinks I'm some clueless Acura owner, not a guy with a $4k Snap-on scanner.....

I must be playing too nice because I am getting no where when I call in my area. What are you all doing to get things moving? Must be time to call Acura corporate...

I wouldn't put up with that. Find another Acura dealer. That's dreadful. You might have to drive a ways, but that's terrible service. I'd also complain to Acura corporate. My dealer (Zimbrick in Middleton WI) would never do that.

Plus you should have gotten a loaner if you got that recall in the mail.... I had one for a month before they fixed my TL.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by lbotez
I wouldn't put up with that. Find another Acura dealer. That's dreadful. You might have to drive a ways, but that's terrible service. I'd also complain to Acura corporate. My dealer (Zimbrick in Middleton WI) would never do that.

Plus you should have gotten a loaner if you got that recall in the mail.... I had one for a month before they fixed my TL.
Unacceptable. You need to start making some noise and throwing out words like "lawsuit" and "airbag recall." I don't see how any Acura dealer would not take a SRS light seriously. That's why it's a RED light on the dash, meaning it's critical to safety of car or passengers if something is broken.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trent_ky
The Honda dealer who did the recall on my RDX did a pretty whack job of aligning the airbag/horn cover on mine too. Like on the area by the cruise control buttons the cover is flush with the trim and there is no travel when depressing for the horn. Over by the audio buttons the cover sticks out nearly half an inch and there is travel when depressing the horn like it always had been before. Kind of frustrating but I haven't said anything yet.
I think the techs are banging these out just a bit too fast. Mine too isn't aligned as well as the factory one had been. Are there anyAcura techs on this forum that can tell me if this is something I might be able to self-align? It's a half hour drive to the dealership and another back - I expect it's 5-10 minutes to loosen two nuts and align it to my OCD standards, but I haven't pull the FSM yet to see.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's the service manual. It gives instructions for all that but I'm still afraid to mess with the airbag. It almost seems like the replacement inflator may be ill-fitting if that many of us are having fitment issues...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nobxnzcf8w...ANUAL.pdf?dl=0
The following 3 users liked this post by trent_ky:
HBob (08-05-2016), Koreets.RU (07-06-2016), mrgold35 (07-07-2016)
Old 07-06-2016, 12:08 PM
AKYPA Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the service manual. It gives instructions for all that but I'm still afraid to mess with the airbag. It almost seems like the replacement inflator may be ill-fitting if that many of us are having fitment issues...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nobxnzcf8w...ANUAL.pdf?dl=0
thanks, been looking for pdf version
Old 07-07-2016, 03:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Finally got my car back today! About 3.5 months in a rental...nice to save 6k miles of wear and tear on my car, but also nice to actually drive it again.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally got the chance to call my local dealer about the recall. They told me the part that they needed to order is backed order 3-months. They also told me that if I feel unsafe to drive my rdx they can offer me a rental from hertz. What did you guys do to your RDX while it parked for a long period of time?
Old 07-12-2016, 01:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Got the call today that my inflator part is in. Will be going Saturday to get it installed. I'm gonna miss this BMW X3 rental.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:30 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Originally Posted by lawls
I finally got the chance to call my local dealer about the recall. They told me the part that they needed to order is backed order 3-months. They also told me that if I feel unsafe to drive my rdx they can offer me a rental from hertz. What did you guys do to your RDX while it parked for a long period of time?
You have the option of leaving at the dealership or parking at home. I wanted to park at home in our garage because I didn't know how long it would take for the airbag to come in when I submitted the paperwork back in mid March. The dealership can also arrange a tow to the dealership if you don't feel safe driving the RDX when the airbag replacement arrives. I just drove the RDX to the dealership on repair day since it is only about 10 miles from my house and not that much traffic on the hwy when I needed to drop it off.

I wanted to keep the RDX at home to make sure I kept the battery charged with my maintainer and I drove it about every 2 weeks (7am on Sunday morning) for about 20-30 minutes to recharge the battery, help with flat spots with the tires, and get all the fluids circulated at normal engine temps. The dealership would have kept my RDX outside for almost 90 days collecting dust, getting baked in the southwestern sun, and it would have a dead battery by then.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:38 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
You have the option of leaving at the dealership or parking at home. I wanted to park at home in our garage because I didn't know how long it would take for the airbag to come in when I submitted the paperwork back in mid March. The dealership can also arrange a tow to the dealership if you don't feel safe driving the RDX when the airbag replacement arrives. I just drove the RDX to the dealership on repair day since it is only about 10 miles from my house and not that much traffic on the hwy when I needed to drop it off.

I wanted to keep the RDX at home to make sure I kept the battery charged with my maintainer and I drove it about every 2 weeks (7am on Sunday morning) for about 20-30 minutes to recharge the battery, help with flat spots with the tires, and get all the fluids circulated at normal engine temps. The dealership would have kept my RDX outside for almost 90 days collecting dust, getting baked in the southwestern sun, and it would have a dead battery by then.
That's a good idea...

I'm still very glad to see how well all of this is being handled by Acura....

So, exactly who is paying for all of this?
Old 07-12-2016, 08:47 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Every penny spent on this airbag replacement will ALWAYS come out of our pockets down the road. There is about a $900 increase in price of the 2017 MDX base price compared to the 2016 MDX base. I don't see $900 worth of improvements on the +2017 MDX? Acura sold a little over 58,000 MDXs in 2015. $900 X 58,000 MDX = $52,200,000. Honda/Acura will just need to increase the prices by $10-$100 across the board to get back any loss of sales because of Takata.

Do the same math for the ILX, TLX, RLX, RDX and the the rest of the Honda brand and you might see 1/4 to 1/2 billion dollars of easy money for the same vehicle after a MMC with an updated front/rear bumper. The only ones getting hurt (and killed) is us with the Takata airbag recall.

I'm to lazy for public transport or riding my bike to work.

Last edited by mrgold35; 07-12-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's a good idea...

I'm still very glad to see how well all of this is being handled by Acura....

My guess is that Acura will try to recoup some money from Takata.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by schen72
Got the call today that my inflator part is in. Will be going Saturday to get it installed. I'm gonna miss this BMW X3 rental.
How did you get a X3 rental? They told me I only qualify for a sedan rental. Guess Ill find out tomorrow when I head over to the dealership.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:31 PM
Cruisin'

Just got the 2007 RDX back (DC area). Exactly 3 months to the day.

The Enterprise rental cost Acura $4100 for a car with KBB value maybe ~2x that!

This will certainly bankrupt Takata - and can't be godo for Honda since there is no chance they will ever recoup all of the money from Takata
Old 07-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lawls
How did you get a X3 rental? They told me I only qualify for a sedan rental. Guess Ill find out tomorrow when I head over to the dealership.
I just requested a better car from the Enterprise manager. He had to call the Acura service manager to get approval. I do have 3 Acuras that gt serviced at this dealer.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:36 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
I've been abroad the last 3 months, so I'm a little out of loop. My recall notice says that a second letter will be sent "when parts become available." Has anyone received such a letter? In any case, I'm back in the country and will call Marin Acura today.....

Follow up:

I talked to a service representative by phone, and he said he would order the part, "should come in about a week." I asked about alternative transportation and he asked me if the recall was for the driver-side airbag. I said yes and he replied that he would verify with the parts department and get back to me on that one. Click.
Uh oh.....

Last edited by Kaputnik; 07-14-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I never received a second letter. When I called my local dealership to see if they'd started doing any work, it turned out they'd been doing the repairs for two months and I ended up as the 400th person on their list. Beginning to think there won't be a second letter (that's of any use, that is). Seems like service and communication varies greatly by location. My dealer - Southern Motors in Savannah, GA - hasn't been particularly helpful or on top of things.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Pro

^^We'll see how it goes. The letter does clearly state to call Acura Client Relations if you get dealer grief.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Null and proud of it

I never received a letter, but I got my RDax the week the recall was issued...
Old 07-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Null and proud of it

I never received a letter, however I got my RDX the week the recall was issued in February...
Old 07-15-2016, 06:37 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I was in a rental for about 60 days. Maybe a little more. I kept mine at home and still drove it once a week. I still drove it to the beach 4hrs away too.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:41 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
I've been abroad the last 3 months, so I'm a little out of loop. My recall notice says that a second letter will be sent "when parts become available." Has anyone received such a letter? In any case, I'm back in the country and will call Marin Acura today.....

Follow up:

I talked to a service representative by phone, and he said he would order the part, "should come in about a week." I asked about alternative transportation and he asked me if the recall was for the driver-side airbag. I said yes and he replied that he would verify with the parts department and get back to me on that one. Click.
Uh oh.....
The guy at Marin Acura was pretty lukewarm about my inquiry. In any case, I saw a voicemail from them on my cell phone, but in fact no message was left. I wonder if they were just pinging me back to see if I am legit? The only info they took from me was my phone # and name. No VIN or any other information. Strange.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:25 AM
mrgold35

I never received a letter, however I got my RDX the week the recall was issued in February...
I put my RDX on the list around mid-March and I eventually got a letter about the recall around April/May; but, it mostly wanted to confirm I still own the RDX and give them any info of the new owners. I bet the previous owner got the letter and tossed it in the trash.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 PM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I put my RDX on the list around mid-March and I eventually got a letter about the recall around April/May; but, it mostly wanted to confirm I still own the RDX and give them any info of the new owners. I bet the previous owner got the letter and tossed it in the trash.
I wouldn't be surprised... So should I call the dealer and set up an appointment? I really don't know how this goes as I haven't been involved in a recall since 2001...

How long on average does the swap take? I know it can vary greatly pending on the dealer and their volume of work for the day...
Old 07-16-2016, 02:16 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well,Tuesday I was finally able to take my car the 20 miles to a bit farther away and a different one than the two that were giving me BS excuses for rental cars and everything else. I got a call this afternoon my car is finished. New airbag and ready to go!

I'm almost disappointed that I wasn't able to keep the rental longer. I wanted to put some miles on something else. Acura Customer Service, or whoever I called to complain last week called about an hour after I got the message from the dealership. They called to follow up to see if I was able to drive up and get a rental car yet and I told them it was already done. Customer service guy was shocked.

So I waited patiently for 5 months and nothing, drop car off and get a rental and 3 days later its finished. Sweet!

To add to this, I made a comment I was hoping to keep the rental longer cause I already had parts to replace the AC unit in my garage and was hoping to avoid it for a bit. We talked about the AC clutch recall/TSB and I said I was way out of warranty due to mileage and despite my complaints it really isnt that big of a deal.---couple hours and couple hundred bucks for entire new AC unit and already had it ready to be installed--- I'm awaiting a call in the AM to hold off on returning the car as they are going to warranty the AC compressor and clutch. Goodwill warranty. Needless to say today was a good day.........
Old 07-16-2016, 09:38 AM
Pro

My service guy at Marin Acura actually said he had to confirm with the parts department that the Takata airbag recall was for the driver side before we could talk rentals. Clearly this is BS, no way he doesn't know that. Needless to say, no call back.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got the driver's airbag inflator replaced and all is good. The airbag cover seems to be fine, as I don't see any misalignment.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:30 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Well, not real happy right now.....

I received a call two days ago from my Acura case manager stating that I need to contact the dealership so they know if they need to order the parts for me.

I talked to the service manager months ago, and he told me he'd call when the parts are in!?!?

I went to the dealership yesterday, and explained who I am. The lady (only person) in service was SO rude to me. She had called and left me a message me a couple months ago (about a rental). I tried to call her back 5-6 times, and sent a message via the dealerships website (no reply). She stated that since I never returned her calls ( which I did), Acura closed my case.

I explained that I talked to the service manager, and that he made it sound as if I'm all set (just wait). Her response was; "he doesn't really work here, so he doesn't know what's going on". What does that mean?

Yes, I've been lackadaisical on the topic of a rental, but that's because I have other cars, so the RDX hasn't been driven much. Another reason is that my insurance covers the rental for a limited number of days, meaning I'd have to go through this dealer to get a new rental issued. I've had issues with this dealer in the past, and didn't want the hassle.

She was so damned rude. While she was entering my information, she made snide comments about already doing this months ago, and "I already did my job". She told me that the delay is my fault because I never answered the phone. At the end, she said she'd call me once she gets info from Acura......."if I answer my phone".

I left my Acura case manager a message yesterday.

A little background about this dealer (Honda);

A few years ago they overfilled the oil in one of my cars (causing some leaks). Upon return, they tried to convince me that overfilling does no harm.

I also witnessed an employee get in a physical altercation with the guy refilling the vending machines. No joke. She was angry because one item had been out for some time, so she pushed him.

The up side is these experiences were what convinced me to start doing my own work (and I've gotten pretty decent).

Old 07-25-2016, 02:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. Fortunately I got my rdx back Saturday. No alignment issues. Great to be back in that little bugger.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rsxdude
Sorry to hear about your problems. Fortunately I got my rdx back Saturday. No alignment issues. Great to be back in that little bugger.
Thanks.....

I forgot to mention that a salesperson overheard a couple minutes of our transaction. When I left, he was waiting by my car to apologize to me.

I had to go back the next day to sign some paperwork. I've been trying since last Tuesday to get in touch with my Acura case manager. She has yet to return my calls........
Old 07-27-2016, 11:21 AM
Cruisin'

Nothing but a good experience from Apple Acura, here in York, PA. Parts took about a month to come in and the service manager was super nice and worked with us to get the vehicle in a day before we we're going to take it on a 2000+mi road trip. The only thing I can complain about was that they washed it (negating my sealant and wax from a couple weeks prior, so I had to re-do that. Mental note next time to tell them not to wash it) and the airbag emblem was scratched in the process. I called today to let them know about that and a few other concerns id like to have looked at and she seemed fine to have it looked at. She did state that the emblems are re-used.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Pro

Is the RDX recall just for the driver side airbag? That's what my letter states anyway. Curious, because the wife just received recall notice #2 on her 2010 Element. This time for the passenger side airbag. The driver side was replaced last year.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 204 Posts
Yes, the RDX is for the driver's side. My wife also got a letter a few weeks back for her passenger airbag. She has a 2008 Fit.
The following users liked this post:
Kaputnik (08-01-2016)
Old 08-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by pjhalifax
Had to go in to the dealer to open a service ticket on Friday so they could order the replacement part(s) for my 08. I guess there was a miscommunication - thought they'd done that already. Anyone left waiting like I was might want to check on that...if I hadn't called a few times (kept getting different answers from different service advisors) I wouldn't have known that nothing was happening.

Anyway, the dealership is in Savannah and the service manager said they had about 400 people on the list and they'd fixed about 40 of those cars so far. Apparently they're getting replacements a little faster now so they hope to pick up the pace a bit this month.
The part has arrived and I'll be taking the RDX in for its repair on Tuesday. It'll be nice to have this resolved!
Old 08-05-2016, 06:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those Canadians still lurking I talked to the service department at the Ottawa dealer and he said parts are coming in September - Toronto dealers should have parts now.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:24 AM
Intermediate

My experience with Acura of Langley in Canada, BC:

I visited them late after work around closing time to inquire as I knew my RDX was recalled. A lady in service told me it was a voluntary recall and only southern states / hot climates were actually at any risk / danger. She was like it depends on how concerned you are (Corporate talk). Plus the parts would only come in around early September. Seriously? Am I supposed to sit at home for 3 months?

I simply asked her: Would you be comfortable risking your life/family's life on a daily basis when you know there is a recall on your airbag, How do you know my airbag won't explode even if we don't live in a hot climate? She then gave me contact details of her service manager.

In the meantime, I opened a case with Client Relations and then contacted the service manager. He was quite understanding and was willing to offer a rental. A day after I picked up the printout of the order for the rental to take to enterprise, I got a call back from corporate saying the part had arrived. They overnighted the part so they wouldn't have to pay the rental company $60 / day. Yeah, but a customer's life was worth less than that. I didn't even want a rental if they had just freaking done the repair in the first place.

Anyway, I booked an appointment and the airbag was replaced with a free wash in under 90 mins.

I am very satisfied with the service but that initial corporate talk and the lies about the part coming in the fall and the hypocrisy behind it all left a bad taste in my mouth. Multiple People have died from these defective airbag units. How can they be so casual about it? I literally had to push for it and make it happen instead of them doing the work.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Intermediate

I just had my airbag replaced. I had the rental for little over two weeks. When I first went in to get the papers done I was told it was going take 3-6months. glad I got it fixed
Old 08-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
The Honda dealer who did the recall on my RDX did a pretty whack job of aligning the airbag/horn cover on mine too. Like on the area by the cruise control buttons the cover is flush with the trim and there is no travel when depressing for the horn. Over by the audio buttons the cover sticks out nearly half an inch and there is travel when depressing the horn....
Wow, that sounds like shade tree mechanic work to me. Wonder if they broke a tab off and just faked it on the installation hoping you wouldn't notice.
TAKE IT BACK!
Old 08-07-2016, 11:20 AM
Racer

It took a couple of calls, but my case manager finally called me back (ironic, because she seemed short with me about not returning her calls in a timely manner).

She had talked to the exceptionally rude lady at my dealership. Of course, the rude lady left out the part about me talking in person to the service manager......

My case manager (Stacy) was also fairly unpleasant. I explained to her that the service manager led me to believe that the parts were on order months ago, and that at no point in our communication (between Stacy and I) was there any mention of the parts not yet being ordered. All of our communication had centered around a rental car.

She seemed neither apologetic or even understanding of the ongoing miscommunication........

My parts are on order, but I'm at the back of the line.

I'd really like to contact Acura about my experience, and request a new case manager. Any ideas of a number or email I should try? I also really wish I could use a different dealership, but that's not an option (based on where I live).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Air Bag Recall