Air Bag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 01:55 PM
8th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Acurian24
My experience with Acura of Langley in Canada, BC:

I visited them late after work around closing time to inquire as I knew my RDX was recalled. A lady in service told me it was a voluntary recall and only southern states / hot climates were actually at any risk / danger. She was like it depends on how concerned you are (Corporate talk). Plus the parts would only come in around early September. Seriously? Am I supposed to sit at home for 3 months?

I simply asked her: Would you be comfortable risking your life/family's life on a daily basis when you know there is a recall on your airbag, How do you know my airbag won't explode even if we don't live in a hot climate? She then gave me contact details of her service manager.

In the meantime, I opened a case with Client Relations and then contacted the service manager. He was quite understanding and was willing to offer a rental. A day after I picked up the printout of the order for the rental to take to enterprise, I got a call back from corporate saying the part had arrived. They overnighted the part so they wouldn't have to pay the rental company $60 / day. Yeah, but a customer's life was worth less than that. I didn't even want a rental if they had just freaking done the repair in the first place.

Anyway, I booked an appointment and the airbag was replaced with a free wash in under 90 mins.

I am very satisfied with the service but that initial corporate talk and the lies about the part coming in the fall and the hypocrisy behind it all left a bad taste in my mouth. Multiple People have died from these defective airbag units. How can they be so casual about it? I literally had to push for it and make it happen instead of them doing the work.
Talk about different levels of service! I'm from Vancouver and it took about 2 weeks from start to finish. To top it off, everything was dealer-initiated, from letting me know about the recall to getting a rental.

I bought mine from Burrard Acura in Vancouver and a service advisor phoned me a few days after I received the official recall letter (April or May 2016?). During the call, the advisor told me the severity of the recall (low risk in Vancouver, but still recommended) and let me know they would have a courtesy vehicle ready if I decided to go ahead. I took up their offer on the service and they let me know I didn't need to take my car in. I only needed to park at home, take a photo of the odometer, and email the advisor. So I went to Burrard Acura, picked up the rental RAV4 (from Dollar/Thrifty), went home, and emailed the photo. The advisor guessed it might be fall 2016 before the parts came in, but he would try to prioritize the repair by taking some units that were meant for USA. I guess he was able to do this because of the size of Burrard. About 2 weeks later the part was in and I drove my RDX in to have it installed. The horn plate and everything was aligned properly.

You can check out the entire TSB and repair photos on this by going to NHTSA:
Keeping You Safe | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

Old 08-09-2016, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In all fairness, my RDX is a US import and I am the 2nd owner so they probably didn't have my contact details to inform me about the recall. Luckily, I am a diligent car guy. Besides, I don't get it serviced at the dealer. That was my 1st visit to an Acura dealer haha.

Again, it was only the lady at service that was being weird. The service advisor that handled my recall was straightforward and prompt. But I did have to take the car in so they could record the odo reading. Oh well.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Got the part replaced yesterday in Savannah. Fairly quick and painless, with a wash and vacuum to pretty her up. Glad to have this done. I snapped a pic of the steering wheel prior to the work and nothing looked misaligned afterward...
Old 08-12-2016, 11:14 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by pjhalifax
Got the part replaced yesterday in Savannah. Fairly quick and painless, with a wash and vacuum to pretty her up. Glad to have this done. I snapped a pic of the steering wheel prior to the work and nothing looked misaligned afterward...
How long did you wait for the part to come in? I'm at one month now.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:18 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaputnik
How long did you wait for the part to come in? I'm at one month now.
Two months, almost to the day. They opened the ticket in the first week of June and called to set up an appointment last week.
The following users liked this post:
Kaputnik (08-16-2016)
Old 08-25-2016, 10:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting my 2012 rdx recall done buy Richmond Acura here in Vancouver BC. Was put on a rental with enterprise and got a 2016 Toyota Venza v6 with 4k kms back in July 15. Just got a call today from dealer that the part has arrived. Will be going in this Saturday to get it done. Month and a halfish on a rental... not bad
Old 08-31-2016, 04:05 PM
Pro

Called to inquire about the airbag and the dealer said still waiting for the parts - 6 weeks out now. I finally asked for a rental/loaner and they agreed. She called me back 10 min later and said they have a part available and can do the replacement tomorrow. Yes, she did say they want to avoid paying for rentals. And I get an Acura loaner for the day too. I normally walk to work, and use the wife's Element when needed, hence my reluctance to get a stinky rental car.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:22 PM
Pro

Yay, airbag replaced. Ask for a rental, and 24 hours later, my airbag was replaced.

And I got to play with this 2016 AWD Tech all day too.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:38 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2009 TL and they repaired the driver's side airbag, but said that the passenger airbag wasn't on recall yet - I have a lot of difficulty believing that only one airbag system is defective. Anyone with similar experience?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by aphmd
I have a 2009 TL and they repaired the driver's side airbag, but said that the passenger airbag wasn't on recall yet - I have a lot of difficulty believing that only one airbag system is defective. Anyone with similar experience?
My wife's 2010 Honda Element had the drive side airbag replaced 2-3 years ago, and now has a passenger side recall. My buddy was just telling me the same thing on his 2006 CRV. I suspect it is just a matter of time on the RDX.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:41 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Kaputnik, how did you like the new RDX?

I'm asking because I may end up with a 2013 in 5-6 years when they're under $10K...

I understand they're more like a Lexus RX than an Acura RDX like your 2008 and my 2007, but how bad is it?

I'm just afraid of excessive body roll... How is is compared to a Toyota Camry SE, 2001-06 MDX, Kia Sportage, GMC Yukon something like that...

I know now those are all very different from one another, but none of them would lean like my 2001 Toyota Camry and I HATED that...

I need to set up something one day, dang...

Old 09-03-2016, 12:28 AM
Pro

^^ I personally liked it a lot. Quieter, nice sound system, comfy etc. Power delivery is buttery smooth - but not perceptibly faster than the 1G. Would be great for a road trip. A couple of things noticable to me, but just my opinion. The 1G has a way nicer steering wheel, both in looks and feel. I like the textured leather and the fat grippy bolsters - very sporty. The new one is smooth and the grips much smaller. Second was the front seats in the 2016. They are very comfy - but flatter and you can slide around a bit more. The 1G seats are much more deeply bolstered and firmer. They remind me of big versions of the seat in my S2000. Yes, there is more body roll in the '16, but not horrible IMO. That sensation would probably be alleviated by better tires, especially 19" rims with wider & lower profile tires. The stock tires are tall and narrow.

I would be perfectly happy with the current RDX - in the end I would say it is a really sweet ride. The things I mentioned above, including the roll, are all minor. Especially since I have dedicated fun car.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:54 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Finally have mine done.......

Glad to not be dealing with the assh0les at the dealership anymore. Fingers crossed for no more recalls.

Sure enough, the lady I had problems with before had to get one more crack in before it was all over.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Thank you, Kaputnik!!!

RDX10 has shared his opinion of the current RDX, and had me running screaming bloody murder, be he could drift his, so...

If it handles well like my 2007 Kia Sportage did, I'm happy!!!

I had a 2016 Camry SE for a while, and I actually liked it's EPAS steering more...

I feel like EPAS actually tightens the steering to be more firm on "dead center", which I like...

I found a nice 2013 for $17,8K, or something like that... They're getting cheap...

In another 3-5 years they'll be $8-12K, which is nice!!!

I really like the styling a lot, but they're still too much, and I just got the 2007 RDX, which I need airbags for...

How's your RDX been?

Actually, a member just posted a thread on the same question I asked you, I hope he gets some detailed responses, I'm curious to see what the full consensus will be!!!
Old 09-27-2016, 10:56 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
obligatory post padding to get past being a rookie and onto permanent member status...just bought an '09 base, set up airbag replacements with dealer yesterday while I was getting the interior detailed, fortunately there's a dealer across the street from work
Old 09-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
jdrum The airbag recall has to be repeated at some point.

The ones they are putting in now have to be replaced when they come up with a different inflator. All they did was add desiccant to the takata inflator as a temporary fix.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I called Acura/Honda again, (888) 234-2138, to double-check on the insurance for rental vehicles. They said we are responsible for our own insurance and gas with the rentals.
that's to be expected because you are driving the car and you need to be insured...and buy your own gas.

My Acura was not included (2002 CL-S) in the recall as of the time I sold the car. The Subaru's on the other hand well I got the letter for my 2003 and it was repaired within a week. the 2014 is as of this time unaffected.
Old 10-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 694 Likes on 536 Posts
Here is my story. Called dealer, and said that I received a recall letter and would like to get airbag replaced. They informed me that they get limited parts but can take my information and notify me when parts are available. So I gave them my information, name, phone number, vin and etc. I thought it will take months, but to my surpise in few days service manager called and said the part is here. The dealer provided me with the loaner car while airbag was replaced.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Here is my story. Called dealer, and said that I received a recall letter and would like to get airbag replaced. They informed me that they get limited parts but can take my information and notify me when parts are available. So I gave them my information, name, phone number, vin and etc. I thought it will take months, but to my surpise in few days service manager called and said the part is here. The dealer provided me with the loaner car while airbag was replaced.
I have a similar but slightly different story. Got the letter way back, and called Campus Acura in Victoria BC when I got the letter (it's now my closest dealer though I bought the car new in Ontario.) Never heard back so I did a follow-up call a few weeks ago and then, finally, magically had a quick response. Bag was installed today, looks perfectly aligned, car washed and vacuumed. I had a new ILX for the day which reminded me how much I like my SUV!

I chatted with the service manager about his experience with Gen 1 RDX, especially the turbo. Said he never had a turbo problem with the RDX, just minor other stuff (though I did have the AC replaced under the Acura extended warranty last year). He had been a mechanic for 25 years and had had lots of issues with turbos from different manufacturers so I found that very reassuring since I plan to hold on to my '08 for another couple of years. Have to admit it's been mechanically the most bullet-proof car I've ever owned.

Last edited by cheffip; 10-20-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 02:04 PM
They walk among us...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called the Acura dealer up the street from my dealer (bought it at a Honda dealer) and they had to order the part in a few days. I pushed it out a week because I couldn't do it when they suggested. Got it done last Saturday no muss no fuss. Ironically I needed another key made and the machine broke so I have to go back Saturday. So we are good for the moment.