Audio problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:09 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio problem

So I just bought a 1999 Acura cl and the sound from the radio was really low. I thought the speakers were blown so I got new ones and they still played very low. Then the radio started showing a error code and I don't have the 5 digit password you need to fix it. Can I just put a new head unit in to fix the problem?
Old 09-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have a Bose system? Quiet sound from the stock head unit sounds like a failing head unit or failing (Bose) amplifier. If you DO have a Bose system, it could be the amp failing or a bad connection. If you don't, then it's most likely a bad head unit.

If you don't have Bose, I'd say that replacing the head unit would solve your problems.

Also, were the speakers you took out aftermarket or stock? Aftermarket speakers with high impedance will sound quieter than the stock ones (I think stock is 4 ohms), so it's possible that the stereo can't drive the speakers as much as you'd like to get them loud enough. However, any standard coaxial speakers should get you decently high volume even with the stock head unit, which makes me think the head unit is the problem.

The stock head unit should only ask for a code if the power was disconnected (either directly, from the battery, or from a fuse), so that concerns me a little.

P.S. Stereo codes are usually printed on a label inside the trunk lid or on the head unit itself (though you'll have to take it out to see).
Old 09-24-2015, 07:18 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pstomps
Do you have a Bose system? Quiet sound from the stock head unit sounds like a failing head unit or failing (Bose) amplifier. If you DO have a Bose system, it could be the amp failing or a bad connection. If you don't, then it's most likely a bad head unit.

If you don't have Bose, I'd say that replacing the head unit would solve your problems.

Also, were the speakers you took out aftermarket or stock? Aftermarket speakers with high impedance will sound quieter than the stock ones (I think stock is 4 ohms), so it's possible that the stereo can't drive the speakers as much as you'd like to get them loud enough. However, any standard coaxial speakers should get you decently high volume even with the stock head unit, which makes me think the head unit is the problem.

The stock head unit should only ask for a code if the power was disconnected (either directly, from the battery, or from a fuse), so that concerns me a little.

P.S. Stereo codes are usually printed on a label inside the trunk lid or on the head unit itself (though you'll have to take it out to see).
Yeah it's the bose system. It had the factory speakers in it when I was first checking but I put new ones in and they were doing the same thing. I'm going replace the head unit and see if that fixes it
Old 09-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Purpura
Yeah it's the bose system. It had the factory speakers in it when I was first checking but I put new ones in and they were doing the same thing. I'm going replace the head unit and see if that fixes it
Quick reply because I'm on mobile. Usually Bose systems will need an additional adapter that connects to ah aftermarket head unit to bring the speakers up to line level. I'm not sure if that will be necessary with aftermarket speakers. A quick chat with crutchfield support should get you the correct information/part (if it's necessary)