2.3 vtec wont go past 3k rpm /into limp mode & CEL. conflicting anwsers

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 11:39 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2.3 vtec wont go past 3k rpm /into limp mode & CEL. conflicting anwsers

Hello, i didnt know who to ask or where to go so i thought i might ask someone who may possibly have some knowledge about some issues im having
I have a 98 acura CL coupe with a Honda VTEC 4CYL 2.3 F23a engine. same 2.3 as the 94-97 accords and many other hondas that are close to it..
im having a really confusing issue and figured id throw it out thee to see if anyone's ever heard of anything like it
what it comes down too is to my car wont get past 3000 rpm's. it starts and idles but when it gets to 3k it it feels like it hits a rev limiter & its putting me in limp mode or something like that.
it does up to 75mph but im getting conflicting story's about the problem.
the CEL is on and i went to autozone and asked if they could check it out with the code reader.
they said i needed a crank position sensor. so i got one and after a painful 3 hours i got it in with a buddy.
unfortunate for me it didn't fix the problem.
now someone is swearing its the throttle position sensor.
1 other guy swears for sure its the oil pressure sensor/switch
someone else told me a disturber or ecu or ecm whichever it is or maybe even a relay/fuse
rite now im seriously totally confused & dont know what to do other then to ask around if anyone has ever experienced anything like this or knows any Honda techs or someones thats really good with these engines. it seems like something simple but i cant pinpoint it. any help would be much appreciated. thank you and happy holidays.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:47 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Did the crank sensor fix the CEL?
Old 12-30-2016, 02:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,097 Likes on 831 Posts
I remember a dent in the oil pan can put you into limp mode. But hopefully you have solved your problem.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:23 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump. I have the exact same car and had the exact same problem last year.