Who hates new gear shifter buttons??

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 07:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Who hates new gear shifter buttons??

I started a petition. i know it's probably will not help but let's try anyway

Petition Bring Back Gear Shifter Stick to Acura!!!
The following users liked this post:
kk0033 (03-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2016, 07:21 AM
Intermediate

The ZF 9 speed only has an electronic shifter interface. Even if they made the shifter look like a traditional shifter it still would be electronic with no direct connection to the transmission. I personally like the electronic shifter. I think Acura's design is better than Chrysler's rotary nob.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:23 AM
Intermediate

Exactly my point, bring back the stick
Old 07-02-2016, 07:33 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
What!? He disagreed with you lol
Old 07-02-2016, 07:33 AM

He's saying he likes his car the way it is, electronic shifter
Old 07-02-2016, 07:42 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by bell2
Exactly my point, bring back the stick
I disagree as well. As mentioned, there is no physical linkage between the gear selector and the transmission, so any "stick" is going to be some feaux shifter that does nothing but appease people.

I bought the car knowing what the new electronic button shifting was and I like it. Simple, easy, and no bulky stick taking up space.

This boils down to personal preference, but if you don't like the new design, then don't buy the car (or get a 2.4L with a old fashioned shifter).
Old 07-02-2016, 08:13 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Unless it's a manual, a stick and the push buttons are no different. An auto is an auto.
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
5 Acuras (07-04-2016), youngTL (07-04-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 08:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Unless it's a manual, a stick and the push buttons are no different. An auto is an auto.
Will just leave it that I disagree with that. As for people wanting the stick to me its more natural to have a stick when running in manual mode & not using paddles. No hunting for the button or having to look down.

Buttons are not a new idea. In my driving time I first drove one was 1960 in a 1959 Edsel. Raced against push button Dodge 413's in the '60s but Chrysler went back to a stick style shifter after a few years.

HUD & manual mode auto/DCT is the fastest way to go in any current performance car. Manual Sticks are more FUN but competing to win takes modern tech.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:44 AM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
Looks like that petition is gonna flop

The only benefit to the knob is the sport shift. That's always been fun, but no link, no worky, no care. Paddles are more comfortable anyways.
1_SSMTL05 (07-22-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 08:50 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtatx
Nailed it!!!

I was just going to write the same thing
kurtatx (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 09:24 AM

Bear, I strive to be as active, enthused, and still wrenching when I'm 74. keep on motoring, brother!

Happy fourth of July weekend to you all
BEAR-AvHistory (07-02-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the shifter buttons is I have nowhere to rest my hands. However, almost 9mo into owning the car, that initial gripe has disappeared.

I like the shifter buttons and I don't have to worry about items I move to passenger seat hitting a shifter. Little well thought out feature by Acura imo
Old 07-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
As a recent (2 weeks) acura sales man here is what I tell people about it

First purpose is to looks cool, just to be different

Second (especially in the 2016 mdx) is for ladies I tell them there purse isnt going to get caught on the shifter when they throw it to the passenger seat

Third its intuitive, just get to your destination and turn the car off it will automaticaly put yourself in park. Also, unbuckle and open the door it also puts you in park. yep

Its just DIFFERENT. Jeep/chrysler has the circle you just rotate. The ONLY reason I would prefer a real shifter is to put it in manual mode with the shifter because paddle shifters just dont do justice in my opinion
Old 07-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I prefer the shifter as well, not because of the mechanical purpose it serves, but simply as something to grab onto while driving. It also gives the car a more virile look - When I look at the new Audi shifters, I love it. The same way Acura got rid of the dual exhaust, it took away from its masculine and sexiness....In my eyes, a well designed shifter also adds to the cockpit look.

Again, that is just me....Keep in mind that people are more into driver-less features these days anyway so what do I know?!
Monte TLS,MAX (07-04-2016)
Old 07-02-2016, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I prefer the buttons. Clean look, nothign to get in the way of anything (the purse anology.) I rest my hands on the steering wheel where they belong while driving!

I used to look for cars with a foot controled parking brake for the same reason--get rid of thing poking up on the console for no useful puropse. Electronic parking brake thakes care of this.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by spoiler900
As a recent (2 weeks) acura sales man here is what I tell people about it

First purpose is to looks cool, just to be different

Second (especially in the 2016 mdx) is for ladies I tell them there purse isnt going to get caught on the shifter when they throw it to the passenger seat

Third its intuitive, just get to your destination and turn the car off it will automaticaly put yourself in park. Also, unbuckle and open the door it also puts you in park. yep
Think this is pretty common. Some of my cars from different manufactures have this feature. Will even automatically move my stick out of the S position.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:36 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I for one do not like the buttons. I dont think it looks good. I just prefer a shifter.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I had a loaner MDX. The buttons are a little strange at first (seems like they could have done some sort of dial or something), but whatever, a stick isn't a real stick in a manual, it's just a gear shift.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:12 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
I do prefer the shifter. First to rest my hand and second because is always on same position and I can manipulated without looking , just by feeling it. Even after 1.5 years with my TLX I still need to look what button I push. It happened to me many times to mixed the reverse with the parking brake. Like Weather mentioned the A4 shifter looks very nice and I wished something similar.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
After 22 months of driving the TLX with the buttons and I still like them. Maybe missed the shifter as a place to rest my right hand but now I just rest it on my leg which is just as good (brain retraining).

Bottom line, if you don't like it, don't buy the car. I love the safety of a Volvo but could not stand looking at the interior design look whenever I was driving it.
Hoosier_TLX (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 07:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I actually like the buttons. Takes a little to get used to, but it opens up the console space to feel much more open and spacious. I prefer their button layout over the knobs other brands are using. The shifter in the wifes's RDX know feels so dated and obnoxious.
Hoosier_TLX (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 02:23 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
I really like the buttons as well, and I don't understand why some don't like the layout and complain about how difficult it is to engage the desired gear. I think it was pretty well thought out. I know where the buttons are and I almost never have to look at them to select a gear. As it was mentioned in one of the Acura promo videos... push down in the middle to select drive, the reverse is pulled back and so on. I also like that if I start to get out of the car, it will go into park automatically. Again, it's a matter of preference, so no real correct answer to this question.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
I really like the buttons as well, and I don't understand why some don't like the layout and complain about how difficult it is to engage the desired gear. I think it was pretty well thought out. I know where the buttons are and I almost never have to look at them to select a gear. As it was mentioned in one of the Acura promo videos... push down in the middle to select drive, the reverse is pulled back and so on. I also like that if I start to get out of the car, it will go into park automatically. Again, it's a matter of preference, so no real correct answer to this question.
Definitely true, but it's also a change that is forced upon us. I wasn't too big on the idea of the buttons at first, but quickly got used to them and with the amount of time I spend cleaning the interior, I actually come to appreciate the design aspect of it as well, it's futuristic and a real eye catcher. Yesterday I picked up a buddy of mine and he's never seen the TLX and first thing he goes "what the hell, you got buttons instead of a shifter?" So it's definitely an eye catcher.

It just breaks tradition of a traditional shifter and we all grew up learning how to drive with one. Just takes a bit of time to get used to it but I ended up really liking it. It was very well thought out by Acura imo.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dezymond
but it's also a change that is forced upon us.
How is that possibly the case? Did you not look at the car before you took delivery? You certainly could have got a 4Cyl with a shift had you wanted.

As an aside, how is it that people can purchase something they hate? No one has forced our decisions upon us.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:01 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by sbillard
How is that possibly the case? Did you not look at the car before you took delivery? You certainly could have got a 4Cyl with a shift had you wanted.

As an aside, how is it that people can purchase something they hate? No one has forced our decisions upon us.
Yes, I could go with other car but for me the most important element was the SH-AWD and like it or not I had to accept the push buttons. Also when I test the car (even for a full day) I thought that I'll get used to them . I got used to them but that doesn't mean I like them. I still prefer a shifter , like I liked the "plethora" of buttons of 4G vs the touch screen.
The physical buttons and shifter , I think are more intuitive than touch screen. With touch screen you still need to look at it when you use it. That's my view and believe me I'm a tech guy and geek , but in the car I feel the touch screen (for me including the push button for transmission) is a distraction.

weather (07-04-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
Definitely true, but it's also a change that is forced upon us.
Huh? "Forced?"

Car manufacturers change models and innovate, redesign, and update their products constantly. Just because you bought a previous Acura, that doesn't obligate Acura to keep their future vehicles perpetually the same.

No one "forces" you to buy an Acura or anything else you don't like or want.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Another vote for the buttons. I like the open space, and tech feel of it. While my car is in the shop, and I'm driving my wife's MDX, and father's 4G TL, I really miss the button shifter (among other things). Can't wait to get her back!!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:17 AM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
The push button gear selector is one of my favorite things in the V6 models.
One of my neighbors has a 2.4 Tech and the first thing that I like better on my car (aside from more power and AWD) is the wheels; second is the gear selector; third is the 8-way passenger seat.

I like the push buttons despite the fact that I had mine replaced under warranty because the indicator lights failed.
I'm old enough to remember the push buttons in Mopar and Edsel cars and these are done better.
Also better IMO than the cheap-feeling buttons in the Lincoln MKZ and the rotary selectors used by Chrysler/Jeep and Jaguar.

Here's an article from someone who disagrees with me: The Worst Shifter Designs of 2015 | BestRide

Old 07-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's a minor change, but could be enough of a change to make it a dealbreaker. I don't know anyone who's said one of the reasons is the buttons to purchase a 4cyl over the v6, but hey it could be.

I never said I wanted a shifter, I was well aware of the buttons and thought they were pretty cool to boot once I had interacted with it. I wasn't too fond of the idea at first, but just had to interact with it before final judgement. I'm just saying that there may be some people, even if only a handful out there, who probably found the buttons to be a dealbreaker.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
It took me about a week to get familiar with the buttons but I really like them better than the shifter and separate parking brake my TSX had.

- It is much cleaner and opens up the center console. It means the cup holders can be larger and I can fit two What-a-burger cups in there and that is no small feat.
- It is much faster than the shifter and parking brake. With my index finger I pull the car into reverse while my thumb is right over the parking brake and a quick press of the thumb releases that. This one-two takes a second or less. Otherwise I'd need to grab the shifter and go from Park to Reverse, then grab the parking brake and release it down.
- I grew up with a rotary phone and quickly figured out that those newfangled push button phones were faster, easier, and better. I'm not going back to a rotary phone. Why would I want to go back to a shifter and hand brake?
sbillard (07-05-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 08:57 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I actually really like the buttons as well. I've never had to look at them after the first 2 weeks I had the car. It's also intuitive, pull back for reverse and push forward for forward. The only thing I don't like is that the IDS button doesn't have an up and down and you have to cycle through. I'd actually prefer a rotary knob for the IDS (even a little one, or a foot button located up and to the left).

Now I'm at the point that I don't want a shift lever unless I buy a manual. A stick just sticks up and gets in the way (even if it takes up the same lateral space), so if I'm not shifting for myself with a clutch, I don't want a stick in my way. I also don't look for a place to rest my hand anymore, after 15 years of driving manual, I've now started resting my hand...gasp...on the STEERING WHEEL! I drive with 2 hands now (except when I'm cheating with the LKAS, abusing it to open up a bottle of water or a cup of tea).
Old 07-04-2016, 10:26 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
I had a TLX loner before I bought my TLX and have to admit I wasn't crazy about it, probably because it was "different" but since owning mine I think its great. Also have traditional console shift and column shift vehicles, no problem adjusting to each one. Us humans are pretty adaptable creatures,
Old 07-05-2016, 07:43 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
I've liked the button shifter over the stick ever since I first saw it. Once I got the car, not being able to rest my hand on it took getting used to, but I'm over that.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Like button shifters

I really like button shifters on my TLX. It looks contemporary and easy to use. Layout is much nicer compare to 16 MDX or Pilot Elite trim.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
By far I prefer the shifter knob in the four cylinder. It's important to do things via tactile feel.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
I had an MDX loaner and the button shifter was a different experience. I did not trust the selection when pushing the buttons so I found my self looking at the dash to confirm that I was actually in park. The stick was able to satisfy my senses that its actually in Park, Reverse or whatever. I did not have that confidence with the buttons. I'm sure its something I could get used to, but then again. I kept looking for a place to rest my hand. I suppose if given a choice, I would go with the stick but I don't object to change.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Every change takes some getting used to. I have an RLX loaner right now with a shifter. Tactile does not work for me since I am used to the buttons. I have to look to see what gear I have selected (Except for Park, which is easy.) Or course, park on the button shifter is a no brainer--car goes to it whenever needed--no feedback needed.

The other thing I miss is the electric parking brake. I keep trying to set it on the RLX. This is even though I had a foot brake on my TL for 15 years. How easily we can change patterns.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I enjoyed the look and functionality of the button shifter on my 3.5. However, I also drive our other car, an Altima 2.4 with a traditional shifter, and going back and forth between the two cars occasionally caused a little brain confusion when distracted. I may have shut the car off 1 or 2 times instead of shifting to drive or reverse That being said, I do like the compact shifter on my 2.4, and since i still have the electronic parking brake, if pressed, I would say it's my 55-45 preference. It is also easier for my wife to use the car occasionally....happy wife, happy life
Old 07-13-2016, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
I prefer the buttons. Clean look, nothign to get in the way of anything (the purse anology.) I rest my hands on the steering wheel where they belong while driving.
+1 DOn't understand why people "rest" the hands on shift lever, when driving both hands should be on wheel.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:19 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
^ I think resting hand on the shift lever is an artifact of my manual days where my first 3 cars or 20 years of driving were manual cars- then I have had a TL for 10 years with sequential shift that comes in handy at times. My 3rd vehicle Nissan Leaf even has a strange form of shifter which works and is intuitive and that is definitely electronic- no problems there.

I guess you guys who like the buttons have the whole car wash thing figured out and are confident that car wash attendants know what to do to? That would be my concern.

Quick Reply: Who hates new gear shifter buttons??