0%
1.82%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Which way are you trending?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Which way are you trending?

After 7 months I find myself driving to work and thinking about how my satisfaction for the car has been slowly trending upwards since the day I drove it off the lot.

I really appreciate how quiet the cabin is - how great the music sounds (especially in the quiet cabin) and how great the car rides - a perfect mix of road feel and smoooothness. Also love how the car handles and drives - it's more of a cruiser for sure but it feels so planted and stable when you throw it into a sweeping on/off ramp. Other than the DCT quirks my overall satisfaction with this car is about as good as it could be.
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
crownr0yal (04-23-2015), justnspace (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
glad you enjoy it!

happy motoring!
Old 04-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I would jump all over the 5, but would need the programming logic fix for the first two shifts to go from great to perfect!
The following users liked this post:
MedX172 (04-27-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 06:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I'd go with 5 if they fixed my Idle-Stop-Off shift issue. Other than that, the car is a dream to drive.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:20 AM
CPR
Burning Brakes

Received 277 Likes on 144 Posts
I went with the 4, simply because NOTHING is perfect!
Years ago, Mike Douglas asked Cheryl Ladd; (Charlies Angels), how she'd rate herself, on a scale of 10; her reply was "A good 8"
Enough said!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
IMO, if someone rates it below 0, an explanation would be nice, especially a -3.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Trending implies a change over time. Mine rating has gone down from a 5 to 4+ a partially from reading these forums. Ignorance is bliss, but I have been made aware of characteristics that are not perfect.
nore03 (04-23-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Quandry
Trending implies a change over time. Mine rating has gone down from a 5 to 4+ a partially from reading these forums. Ignorance is bliss, but I have been made aware of characteristics that are not perfect.
Ignorance is bliss, and too much information can be psychologically damaging. If you've ever read about psychological or medical symptoms and uttered the words, "I may have that"……well, you'll know what i mean. Nothing has really changed, except our perception of reality.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:50 AM

Trending implies a change over time.
Right - that was my curiosity. Now that many of us have had the car for months and logged thousands of miles on it we have a better feel for our un-biased level of satisfaction.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Each day gets better. As it warms up, the music gets louder, the windows are down and the sunroof is back, I start to enjoy this little unassuming brown beast more and more.

There's just so much to love, even through the little quirks.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:33 PM
Ero
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Right - that was my curiosity. Now that many of us have had the car for months and logged thousands of miles on it we have a better feel for our un-biased level of satisfaction.
I think the point of contention was the thread title - 'trending' can be measured in 'up' or 'down' or 'neutral' but it's difficult to quantify 'trending' in a discreet integer unless multiple measured data points exist.

Anyway I'm a 4. Few minor things like the lifter tick/direct injection chirp/whatever that stupid noise is are a little annoying on a $40k+ car.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:09 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Well, I went ahead and put it at 5 because I have had mine 2 1/2 months so far and just after washing black beauty, I'm truly giddy all over again. I enjoy all the features, performance and looks of my car, and luckily, I've had none of the issues that would cause me to give pause.

The features that many dislike, I just deal with and try to adapt. I'm not saying that I've had a huge sippy cup of the Kool-Aid, I'm just saying that things like idle stop and the like are a necessary part of modern vehicles and there's no point really stressing about them. If there were problems or outright issues, then of course, I'd be upset and do whatever I could for resolution. But as it stands, There's nothing about my car that I dislike...........(at the moment ).
Old 04-23-2015, 10:23 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I have only had mine for 2 weeks but I agree with you. The moment I hopped in the car and drove off the lot I could only search for the things that people complained about rather than enjoy the fact that I just bought the car I said I wanted when it first came out. I found myself checking for how good the bass was and search for the shifts from 1-2 and 2-3.... In reality, every time I get to the car I fall in love again. The car is fun as hell to drive. I have to talk myself into driving "normal".
a35tl (04-23-2015)
Old 04-24-2015, 12:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

The Professor was really asking the question How do you feel about your TLX at this time….so the word trending may be over getting an over analysed….tongue firmly in cheek. Tonight, driving home late from a dinner, I drove in Normal and would give the car a 5+. The acceleration and power and smoothness shone through like a lighthouse on a desolate shoreline. To quote Kramer…"I am loving every minute of it"……(I believe he was talking about boxers).
Old 04-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
^^^ Not to stray off topic but I think Kramer was referring to going commando(no briefs or boxers).

Last edited by nebula; 04-24-2015 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Wrong entry
Old 04-24-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Ero
I think the point of contention was the thread title - 'trending' can be measured in 'up' or 'down' or 'neutral' but it's difficult to quantify 'trending' in a discreet integer unless multiple measured data points exist.

Anyway I'm a 4. Few minor things like the lifter tick/direct injection chirp/whatever that stupid noise is are a little annoying on a $40k+ car.
Science represent!

Perhaps if you think about it like the level of satisfaction you had after two weeks is your baseline. How has that changed now that you've had the car for a period of time and the honeymoon period has waned? In that case it's not really about your total level of satisfaction but rather what level it has changed - up or down - after having the car for a period of time.

From this data we can look at all the results and extrapolate a "trend" that we can sell to the Acura Marketing folks to be used in their next marketing blitz.

The Acura TLX - it's a 3.75 kind of Thrill!!
Old 04-24-2015, 12:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nebula
^^^ Not to stray off topic but I think Kramer was referring to going commando(no briefs or boxers).
At the risk of staying off topic….You are correctAs I think about it, I believe there was reference to being "out there and loving every minute of it….I'm free and unfettered"….much as I feel driving my TLX...
nebula (04-24-2015)
Old 04-26-2015, 11:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I've only had the car for a week and I already had to go back to the dealership, and tomorrow I also have to go back again for a few warranty issues. That being said, I still gave it a five. I test drove some cars and didn't even consider anything from Acura before even landing at the TLX. I tested the BMW 228i, 328i, 428i, Lexus IS250 F-sport, Mercedes Benz CLA 250 Sport package, Volkswagen CC R-line, Audi A3, A4, A6 and finally the new Subaru WRX Limited. Now all those cars differ in many ways except for price, they're all about the same price point except for the WRX. What drew me toward the Acura was the headlights and the things included in the packages, also lets not forget that the styling is much better than its previous generation. All those cars were equipped nicely but to get the things I wanted in the car I always had to add some stupid package that I didn't want just to get one feature that I did want. So for most of those cars I started getting into a much higher price point than I originally wanted. The Acura had everything and was all fit into a package that had everything that I did want, and nothing that I didn't (except the fog lights, but I'm getting those anyway). All the time spent researching all the models of those other cars and all I did was one day of research on the TLX and I went in the next day and got it... That alone just tells you how well they redesigned it and made it simple for people to choose packages.
The following 3 users liked this post by OsirisSk8rGuy:
mapleloaf (04-29-2015), nore03 (04-27-2015), phil30 (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 11:03 AM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CPR
I went with the 4, simply because NOTHING is perfect!
Years ago, Mike Douglas asked Cheryl Ladd; (Charlies Angels), how she'd rate herself, on a scale of 10; her reply was "A good 8"
Enough said!
My exact sentiments. But I will say after having an Audi A4 as a week rental in March, it made me like my car that much more. After driving the Acura RDX as a service loaner while my car was getting the 1st service and related cross-traffic stuff done, I felt like the RDX was a step down. The TLX just seems more solid more luxurious. They did well a really great bang for your buck car.
The following 2 users liked this post by brutustlx:
phil30 (04-27-2015), Stew4HD (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OsirisSk8rGuy
....I test drove some cars and didn't even consider anything from Acura before even landing at the TLX. I tested the BMW 228i, 328i, 428i, Lexus IS250 F-sport, Mercedes Benz CLA 250 Sport package, Volkswagen CC R-line, Audi A3, A4, A6 and finally the new Subaru WRX Limited....All those cars were equipped nicely but to get the things I wanted in the car I always had to add some stupid package that I didn't want just to get one feature that I did want. So for most of those cars I started getting into a much higher price point than I originally wanted. The Acura had everything and was all fit into a package that had everything that I did want, and nothing that I didn't (except the fog lights, but I'm getting those anyway). All the time spent researching all the models of those other cars and all I did was one day of research on the TLX and I went in the next day and got it... That alone just tells you how well they redesigned it and made it simple for people to choose packages.
I had a similar experience. I test drove cars and SUVs by Audi, BMW, Volvo, and Mazda, and each of them had positive points. But the add-ons for the European cars boosted the prices, and the lease deals were nowhere near as good as what I got on my Acura.

I also like the way that Acura offers a straightforward set of packages and engine options. It doesn't require hours of figuring out how to get what you want by reading through all the details of the various packages that the European carmakers seem to prefer. Nothing against the European brands, it's just a lot more work to configure it the way you want it, and much more expensive. (Acura complicates things a bit with the ILX packages, but it's still not as confusing as the Europeans, and they make it easy with the TLX).

I had not even been thinking about Acura, though I've driven Hondas for years, but as soon as I got in one for a test drive (I started with the RDX), I felt right at home. I also drove the ILX and I liked it, but the TLX was just right. I'm not going to say it's the same as a BMW or an Audi, but it had more features, I liked it as much (or more), and the price was right.

This may sound weird, but I liked the TLX V6 so much that after the test drive was over, I did not want to get out. I hadn't felt that way with any of the other cars I tested.
Stew4HD (04-27-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 04:00 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Now we have warm temperatures - 8s tomorrow - in April...?) some of the minor irks with the car go away - weird climate control programming, stupid heated seat controls, stupid auto on windshield heater. Also gas mileage is improving rather dramatically - warmer starts, probably some summer gas in the tank. I can get 6 l/100kms overall for my journey to work, and overall is now low 7s. May get better still when I take the X-Ices off. Its still possible to get snow in May...which stops me despite tomorrows winter tires melting forecast. It remains a sublime cruiser - great seats, very quiet, great ride, good stereo.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by a77
...stupid heated seat controls...It remains a sublime cruiser - great seats, very quiet, great ride, good stereo.
I completely agree about the heated seat controls. What were they thinking? They heat up fast and work well, and I like having three levels, but I prefer a physical toggle switch that I can turn on without even looking at it.

But...I can overlook this for the reasons you gave in your closing sentence: I love the seats, the quiet cabin, the ride, and the sound system (which I'd say is very good to excellent). I've never had a NAV system before and I was surprised at how fast I was able to learn this one.

In addition to all this, the TLX also smooths out the many potholes on our terrible Michigan roads. Bumps that gave my 2013 Accord coupe a jarring jolt are barely noticeable in the TLX. That alone has made driving the TLX much more enjoyable and has reduced the number of expletives I utter when I'm behind the wheel.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by phil30
I completely agree about the heated seat controls. What were they thinking?
They were thinking about the top level models, Advance/Elite, where it is perfect. Unfortunately it is a compromise for the lower level models and that is where the volume of sales come from.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Intermediate

They were thinking about the top level models, Advance/Elite, where it is perfect. Unfortunately it is a compromise for the lower level models and that is where the volume of sales come from.
How does the heated seat control work on the Advance/Elite?
Old 04-27-2015, 07:22 PM
Intermediate

Sorry, I should have tracked down the videos that show how it works on the Advance. Just did, and the control looks similar except for the addition of the cooling control and the auto option. Too bad some people are having trouble getting it to work under certain conditions. At least mine works fine.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I had a similar experience. I test drove cars and SUVs by Audi, BMW, Volvo, and Mazda, and each of them had positive points. But the add-ons for the European cars boosted the prices, and the lease deals were nowhere near as good as what I got on my Acura.

I also like the way that Acura offers a straightforward set of packages and engine options. It doesn't require hours of figuring out how to get what you want by reading through all the details of the various packages that the European carmakers seem to prefer. Nothing against the European brands, it's just a lot more work to configure it the way you want it, and much more expensive. (Acura complicates things a bit with the ILX packages, but it's still not as confusing as the Europeans, and they make it easy with the TLX).

I had not even been thinking about Acura, though I've driven Hondas for years, but as soon as I got in one for a test drive (I started with the RDX), I felt right at home. I also drove the ILX and I liked it, but the TLX was just right. I'm not going to say it's the same as a BMW or an Audi, but it had more features, I liked it as much (or more), and the price was right.

This may sound weird, but I liked the TLX V6 so much that after the test drive was over, I did not want to get out. I hadn't felt that way with any of the other cars I tested.

Haha, it's funny that you say that about not wanting to get out. While the whole negotiations were going on, every time the salesman or manager left, I would go sit in the TLX and they would come back looking for me, just to find me sitting in the car on their showroom floor. No car is perfect, but there is such thing as a perfect car for an individuals needs, for me this is that car.

I had one worry when getting this car. How would it handle with rush hour traffic in downtown San Francisco. Well, the second day of owning it I had a friend visit from Texas and we had plans to go to downtown for dinner on that Friday night. I had no problems in the stop and go traffic and I even had to parallel park in a very skinny alley way in a tight spot, but that car handled everything like a champ!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
I've enjoyed my TLX and enjoy the driving experience every day. I would echo much of the same sentiment as many of you; The TLX is not perfect, but it does many things competently and some things brilliantly.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, I should have tracked down the videos that show how it works on the Advance. Just did, and the control looks similar except for the addition of the cooling control and the auto option. Too bad some people are having trouble getting it to work under certain conditions. At least mine works fine.
The controls are almost identical but key difference is the Advance has an Auto function which results in a "set it and forget" it situation. My wife fiddles with the passenger control because she needs instant heating at least one bar above the auto function. Once it is manually adjusted it changes to off when the car is restarted. Not a big deal for her.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Intermediate

The controls are almost identical but key difference is the Advance has an Auto function which results in a "set it and forget" it situation.
Thanks for the explanation. The auto function does sound better and I understand your original comment now.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:15 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since day 1 of the purchase of my TLX it has been nothing short of greatness. Overall the car for me is a perfect fit. I've had a 02 TL Type S and a 10 TSX and theyve all been great but with the TLX, it has a different experience. After putting the OEM kit on it and 20" Charcoal Vossen wheels on it, then plasti dipping everything chrome, the looks the car gets on a daily basis puts a huge smile on my face and am extremely excited to what years of happiness in this car will bring.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

As the weather warms and my transmission has learned my driving style and smoothed out the first two shifts, I am changing my rating from a 4 to a 5. similar to what Mark Wahlberg mentions to Will Ferrell in "The Other Guys", I get that tingle in my you know whats every time I get behind the wheel. Nuff said