TSX to TLX...TL to RLX

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by CybrRdr
TLX is a "Tweener"... it just feels like it is somewhere in between.
It is between the ILX and RLX, where it belongs according to Acura whom has the final say.

When I run my hands around the steering wheel, it doesn't feel like anything but a wheel to me What does a "Tweener" feel like? Please describe
Old 02-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
TLX needs an "A spec" or a Type S version. I moved to TLX from 3G TL type S and found the new TLX (either the I4 or the V6) is not as sporty as my older type S.

Although TLX's trunk size is comparable by published measurement, it feels somehow smaller, especially not as tall as my TL's. Things that used to fit in do not any more.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:19 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
It is between the ILX and RLX, where it belongs according to Acura whom has the final say.

When I run my hands around the steering wheel, it doesn't feel like anything but a wheel to me What does a "Tweener" feel like? Please describe
Feel as in they way it drives versus a TSX and a TL. In my opinion it feels like it is somewhere between the 2 as far as driving experience. That is how I felt after having a TLX loaner for a couple of days.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:24 PM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by jeremyw
TLX needs an "A spec" or a Type S version. I moved to TLX from 3G TL type S and found the new TLX (either the I4 or the V6) is not as sporty as my older type S.

Although TLX's trunk size is comparable by published measurement, it feels somehow smaller, especially not as tall as my TL's. Things that used to fit in do not any more.
That was my experience with the TLX. Even in Sport+ mode it just wasn't sporty enough for me. Don't get me wrong it is a great car but it didn't "Thrill" me.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
Feel as in they way it drives versus a TSX and a TL. In my opinion it feels like it is somewhere between the 2 as far as driving experience. That is how I felt after having a TLX loaner for a couple of days.
*shrug* I don't agree but we can't argue opinions
Old 02-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
What does a "Tweener" feel like? Please describe
A little better than feeling a "weener"
Old 02-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Stew4HD...I am heading to the dealer with a buddy of mine tomorrow (Sat) and will test drive the TLX again and they have a new ILX and that will be taken for a spin too. Its a 4h drive from where I live so its a road trip with my buddy and we'll be testing a few cars and hopefully, be pretty convinced of what I'll put my money on when I return home.

I'll keep you posted....
Old 02-27-2015, 01:44 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Stew4HD...I am heading to the dealer with a buddy of mine tomorrow (Sat) and will test drive the TLX again and they have a new ILX and that will be taken for a spin too. Its a 4h drive from where I live so its a road trip with my buddy and we'll be testing a few cars and hopefully, be pretty convinced of what I'll put my money on when I return home.

I'll keep you posted....
Do they have the A-Spec version of the ILX? It looks like that's the one to take home! It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on the new ILX - I've seen some very positive reviews.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I spent much time with a TL and a TLX side-by-side at the dealer. I like the seats in the TL better, like the TL continuous center console, TL has a more aggressive look and rear-end just imitates the Accord, boring.

However if overlooking these luxury based items, the TLX is a prize winner. The technology alone is fantastic.

Ever since my first 86 Integra, I've loved Acura. The marketing was always luxury and performance. Somewhere this got lost especially when someone decided that a performance vehicle needed to have a 'greener' look. I can't believe they hid the exhaust outlets.

I really wish they would have kept the TSX and TL separate. The TSX is great car on it's own. The maneuverability of the TSX was awesome.

I have a 4th gen TL Tech now. I believe I'll wait to see what the future has in store for the TLX and hopefully some tweaks will come along adding back in the luxury refinements that I bought my TL for.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:03 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by DragonDude
I really wish they would have kept the TSX and TL separate. The TSX is great car on it's own. The maneuverability of the TSX was awesome.
The ILX should've been the 3G TSX and I think it would've been better received (there was no need for Acura to continue playing with the alphabet and introduce another name to confuse people). The TLX needed to be just a little bit bigger in size. Then they would really have small (TSX), medium (TLX), and large (RLX) sedans.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:08 PM
CBP TLX

Originally Posted by DragonDude
Agreed! I understand it was a business decision as the platform (Euro Accord) is being phased out.

TLX is a great car that I think is the best value in its segment. Sales are strong. But a performance version would make it a grand slam.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
One thing I find interesting about this lively debate is that I haven't seen posts about moving from a 6 cyl TSX to the TLX 3.5. I had three 2.4 TSX's and most definitely find my TLX to be a significant upgrade….although I did enjoy those cars.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:36 AM
Suzuka Master

I had a chance to test drive the TLX V6 SH-AWD yesterday and I came back with a different view of the TLX. Either the one I drove back in the fall was a fluke or the one I drove yesterday was a fluke...but the one from yesterday drove MUCH better!

There was a still a lag in the throttle response but not as bad as I remembered and felt much better that I remembered. I think that part of the reason I enjoyed better too is that I have been away from my TL for quite a while too so I probably forget a little how good my TL felt *lol*

Bottom line is that I was offered a great deal on a TLX with the launch kit (bodykit and accessory wheels) and is very tempting.

My only hold back is all the problems I keep reading about the transmission and glitches. I know that people here tend to exaggerate the problems but still....I read them and I do worry given the distance I live from the dealer.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:00 AM
Suzuka Master

^ I fully expect that the transmission issues some of us have is minor and will be fixed via software. The issue I have is minor.

Over-all, I love my car.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I had a chance to test drive the TLX V6 SH-AWD yesterday and I came back with a different view of the TLX. Either the one I drove back in the fall was a fluke or the one I drove yesterday was a fluke...but the one from yesterday drove MUCH better!

There was a still a lag in the throttle response but not as bad as I remembered and felt much better that I remembered. I think that part of the reason I enjoyed better too is that I have been away from my TL for quite a while too so I probably forget a little how good my TL felt *lol*

Bottom line is that I was offered a great deal on a TLX with the launch kit (bodykit and accessory wheels) and is very tempting.

My only hold back is all the problems I keep reading about the transmission and glitches. I know that people here tend to exaggerate the problems but still....I read them and I do worry given the distance I live from the dealer.
Uh-oh, a potential change in mind?

I think the beta-testers here have done a good job of flushing out the gremlins and it appears Acura is dealing with them very quickly.....at least more quickly than they're dealing with them on the RLX. I'd say you're safe getting a TLX at this point.
The following 2 users liked this post by neuronbob:
a35tl (03-01-2015), weather (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Stew4HD....I am delighted to see that you still love your TLX despite some of the little quirks it has. I am aware that no car is perfect....I am down to the wire with 2 great contenders.

I will make up my mind shortly and will keep you posted.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Note: Entry # 52 - I had to copy and paste this quote since the "quote" button brought up a blank screen today. "One thing I find interesting about this lively debate is that I haven't seen posts about moving from a 6 cyl TSX to the TLX 3.5. I had three 2.4 TSX's and most definitely find my TLX to be a significant upgrade….although I did enjoy those cars. "

I owned a 2010 TSX V6 with tech package. I traded it in on a TLX V6, sh-awd, advance package. The TSX was a great car - reliable, great acceleration, good cornering, adequate passenger room, and a lot of technology. The TLX is so much better for me. I bought the V6 version of the TSX because of some pinging issues I heard about with the 4 cylinder version - and of course the performance of the V6 engine. Indeed, the V6 was the best part of the car. I had no shortage of power in any situation. I have a 1987 Honda Prelude SI that I purchased new. This is my autocross car. I have adjustable shocks and sticky tires on the Prelude. The cornering of the TSX is soooo much better than my Prelude. Since it is Winter I have not fully explored the cornering capability of the TLX - but what I have experienced so far is quite good. I am sure the sh-awd will be a help to the TLX cornering. The ride of the TSX V6 is fairly stiff so there is a lot of bouncing on the freeway (note: Minnesota roads go through hell each season with the cold weather really taking a toll on road smoothness and the cold also creates a healthy crop of new potholes each year. So the roads are not very smooth.)

After 5 years with my TSX V6 I was ready for a car that had a smoother and quieter ride while still maintaining the V6 acceleration. I also wanted all the latest technology. The TLX is exactly the upgrade I wanted over the TSX. It is so much smoother and quieter. When I travel down familiar local streets I have to check and see it the maintenance crews have been out repairing the streets (they haven't). The TLX is so much smoother and quieter - I love that feature of the TLX.

I have just turned over 600 miles on my TLX. I read somewhere in the owner's manual that you should avoid full throttle acceleration until you have at least 600 miles on the new engine. So I have not had a chance to test out the TLX V6 acceleration. But the TLX has 10 hp more than my TSX, weighs 94 pounds more, and has the 9 speed automatic vs the 5 speed in the TSX - so I expect the acceleration to be equal if not better in the TLX.

And the technology in the TLX is a big plus for me. I am getting to the age where the blind spot detection, Lane Keeping Assist System, etc., etc. are really very desirable to me. Other big plusses for the TLX are the ability to finally have the navigation screen displayed and yet I can still see what song is playing on the audio system on the second screen. And - I no longer have to push the button each time I start the car to acknowledge the navigation screen warning to pay attention when driving the car. That is a BIG plus for me.

The size of the TLX is a little larger than the TSX. I like my cars to be small on the outside and big on the inside. The TLX size increase over the TSX is barely noticeable to me. And if I am doing head on parking I now have the parking sensors on the TLX to tell me how close the end of the car is to any obstacle and the cross traffic monitor to help me back out of the parking spot safely.

All in all I love the TLX and consider it to be an upgrade in every way over my TSX V6.
The following 6 users liked this post by Gary3N:
a35tl (03-01-2015), CheeseyPoofs McNut (03-01-2015), mapleloaf (03-01-2015), Quandry (03-01-2015), Stew4HD (03-01-2015), weather (03-01-2015) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-01-2015, 10:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Gary 3N - Nicely summarized. As a resident north of you, I can certainly relate to the pothole situation. This winter has been brutal that way…cold periods followed by warm thaws, followed by winter potholes! Isn't climate change grand!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Stew4HD....I am delighted to see that you still love your TLX despite some of the little quirks it has. I am aware that no car is perfect....I am down to the wire with 2 great contenders.

I will make up my mind shortly and will keep you posted.
Judging by your pic, I see you have made up your mind. If so, congrats on the 350, not a choice you can go wrong with. I really dislike the front grill look, but then, I'm not buying it, you are/have
The following users liked this post:
weather (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 07:02 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ The deal is not signed yet but it looks like it will be the one before teh end of the month. I am aware that the front grill is very polarizing and it is a love/hate it but I have a trend of loving polarizing designs - as with my 4G that I absolutely loved (2012).

I'd have a TLX in my driveway had Acura done a better job with the software programming of its transmissions (8 and 9 speed)...As I explaining to a friend of mine on here, if I lived in the same city as the dealership, I'd own it in a flash but living 4h away, I can't seem to be comfortable taking teh plunge at this time.

We still have our ILX and my next toy will be another Acura for sure...I love my dealership too much to walk away for good
Stew4HD (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^ The deal is not signed yet but it looks like it will be the one before teh end of the month. I am aware that the front grill is very polarizing and it is a love/hate it but I have a trend of loving polarizing designs - as with my 4G that I absolutely loved (2012).

I'd have a TLX in my driveway had Acura done a better job with the software programming of its transmissions (8 and 9 speed)...As I explaining to a friend of mine on here, if I lived in the same city as the dealership, I'd own it in a flash but living 4h away, I can't seem to be comfortable taking teh plunge at this time.

We still have our ILX and my next toy will be another Acura for sure...I love my dealership too much to walk away for good
Hope you stay around and keep us all honest. Always enjoy your posts. If and when they do something with the transmission software programming, you can trade in the Lexus
weather (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 01:07 PM
Suzuka Master

I am not going anywhere....I love this site too much and rest assured, there will another Acura in the driveway in the not so distant future
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
mapleloaf (03-07-2015), Stew4HD (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 10:08 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
I am not going anywhere....I love this site too much and rest assured, there will another Acura in the driveway in the not so distant future

Hi Weather , I may change my mind also. This month seems to be a 3000$ discount on Elite version. I'll give another chance to TLX. I'll ask the dealer to give to try something build on 2015 and I'll see if any improvement vs my last 24h test drive.
Stew4HD (03-07-2015)
Old 03-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ I saw your discount comment on the Elite version. It is very tempting to pull the trigger...I am still on the fence as I know the TLX is a better deal and now that the programs have changed for March, it appears the gap between the TLX and the IS has widened a bit again. For me, it is not just about money but as I have stated, I love the Acura brand and that is ultimately, what I want in my driveway.

I still have about 2 weeks to make my mind I guess....If I decide to not pull teh plug on the IS, then I don't have a super rush to get the TLX and could wait a few more weeks if they don't have any in stock. The IS is arriving in about a week and half or so and will need to decide whether I go that route or not....at the moment, I am 80% sold on the IS but I have that 20% hope that I'll come back to the TLX between now and then I hate being so torn between two cars...maybe I should do like one of the member from Vancouver and buy one of each in case on runs low on gas or windshield fluid *lol*
Old 03-08-2015, 11:58 AM

I was thinking myself to IS 350F but for some reason I don't like the dashboard and I think is a little bit to low for our snow here in Montreal. I think I start to like a sporty CUV like SQ5. Maybe I should wait for 2016 RDX?
Old 03-08-2015, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I think the RDX 2016 has brought some significant improvement (the much needed passenger height adjustor) and some extra tech stuff and appears they have modified the rear suspension that was prone to some major "clunks".

If you can live with the OM wheels, then the RDX will be a great choice...a better AWD system and a great engine with a reliable and proven 6 speed transmission. We LOVED ours except for the clunking, the passenger seat height ... both of which appears to have been addressed. The g/f wanted something smaller too and we never drove it in the snow which was a waste when you think about it.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:13 PM

What worries me a bit about 2016 RDX is the gearbox which the 9 speed as thr TLX or am I wrong?
Old 03-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Nope...the 2016 RDX will not be using the 9 speed unit from ZF. Some car magazine had the information incorrectly....It will be using the trusted and reliable 6 speed!
Old 03-08-2015, 01:25 PM

Good then.
This week I have appointments to test drive the Sq5 and C400. I'll will see if they are worth the extra money. I know that the reliability is no their strength and that's why I'm thinking to lease it instead of buying it. Then I'll schedule another test drive with a 2015 build TLX. If will be to change I have to do it after March 15 when we can run on summer tires here in Quebec
Actually, my first choice was a Macan (sure only with few options) but tge waiting list is almost an year! Even I would like it it's way too much for my patience..and that's why I turned to Sq5 or C400,both they have similar performance which for me is important

Last edited by Momyc; 03-08-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Living in Montreal where there are dealers nearby, I wouldn't worry too much about reliability provided that you have the vehicle under warranty (lease). That is my biggest problem with where I live in a small town away from everything....cost of living is cheap but there is a price to pay (play on word).

Bonne chance mon ami....
Old 03-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^ I saw your discount comment on the Elite version. It is very tempting to pull the trigger...I am still on the fence as I know the TLX is a better deal and now that the programs have changed for March, it appears the gap between the TLX and the IS has widened a bit again. For me, it is not just about money but as I have stated, I love the Acura brand and that is ultimately, what I want in my driveway.

I still have about 2 weeks to make my mind I guess....If I decide to not pull teh plug on the IS, then I don't have a super rush to get the TLX and could wait a few more weeks if they don't have any in stock. The IS is arriving in about a week and half or so and will need to decide whether I go that route or not....at the moment, I am 80% sold on the IS but I have that 20% hope that I'll come back to the TLX between now and then I hate being so torn between two cars...maybe I should do like one of the member from Vancouver and buy one of each in case on runs low on gas or windshield fluid *lol*
The Elite would be nice especially with a good deal. if we get some programming changes identified in March for those two much discussed shifts, perhaps you will go the Elite route. SH-AWD is a real plus for this car. Decisions decisions