TLX in the wild... and new pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Yay, it's our favorite wheel design. lol

Originally Posted by randomRon82
Here are a bunch of pics that I found on instagram from the reveal at Acura Canada.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
ignoring the wheel designs, the front end of the car looks great ... the rest of the car IMO can be made to look good with some vossens
The following 2 users liked this post by VQPower37:
a35tl (05-11-2014), Acura_Dude (05-12-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by H_CAR
You guys who want a car with "Type S treatments" buy a different car. It's that simple.

The 3rd generation TL came out as a 2004 model, and there was no Type S until 2007. Most of you would not have purchased a TL if it were not for the Type S coming out. The thing is, the TL sold the best in 2004 and 2005, where there was no Type S available. My point is that many enthusiasts, usually want the most fun to drive sporty model, but the general public doesn't. The TLX will sell fine for the first three years without a Type S model provided it is priced well.

Also, most of you who would not buy the TLX, would buy an IS350 F Sport, GS350 F Sport, Audi S4, Audi S5 etc., but those aren't the models the general public buys. The general public will buy an IS250, regular GS350, A4 or A5. If the enthusiast models were dropped, it would barely put a dent in their car sales.

From what I've been reading, there will be a Type S in the future, probably in 2018 when the TLX gets a refresh.

Me personally, I'll be happy with the TLX 4 cylinder Tech model if it's more fun to drive than the 1st generation TSX.

Also, remember, no one is forcing you to buy an Acura. You're free to buy whatever will fit your needs best at the time you want to buy. It's clear a Type S is what many of you want. That's fine, but the you'll have to wait until later to get it.
+1 Excellent points.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Talking

I love all the haters of the TLX and I hope demand is super low and none of you buy it, this gives me better odds at negotiating a great price! Keep it up fellas and Thank You!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You guys who want a car with "Type S treatments" buy a different car. It's that simple.

The 3rd generation TL came out as a 2004 model, and there was no Type S until 2007. Most of you would not have purchased a TL if it were not for the Type S coming out. The thing is, the TL sold the best in 2004 and 2005, where there was no Type S available. My point is that many enthusiasts, usually want the most fun to drive sporty model, but the general public doesn't. The TLX will sell fine for the first three years without a Type S model provided it is priced well.

Also, most of you who would not buy the TLX, would buy an IS350 F Sport, GS350 F Sport, Audi S4, Audi S5 etc., but those aren't the models the general public buys. The general public will buy an IS250, regular GS350, A4 or A5. If the enthusiast models were dropped, it would barely put a dent in their car sales.

From what I've been reading, there will be a Type S in the future, probably in 2018 when the TLX gets a refresh.

Me personally, I'll be happy with the TLX 4 cylinder Tech model if it's more fun to drive than the 1st generation TSX.

Also, remember, no one is forcing you to buy an Acura. You're free to buy whatever will fit your needs best at the time you want to buy. It's clear a Type S is what many of you want. That's fine, but the you'll have to wait until later to get it.
You miss the point completely. Its not about that being the only version people will want to buy. Its that some DO. Other manufacturers make a performance orientated version, Acura used to make one. Is it too much to be disapointed in the current version and hope and WANT them to do it again. Many of us DONT want to go to another manufacturer but Acura isnt giving us much of a choice when the others do. Hopefully Acura decides to get that sooner than later.
The following 3 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
Acura_Dude (05-12-2014), bla8291 (05-12-2014), ggesq (05-12-2014)
Old 05-11-2014, 10:11 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Acura makes the TLX - Money talks BS walks - Choice is ours!
Old 05-11-2014, 11:26 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Here are a bunch of pics that I found on instagram from the reveal at Acura Canada.

It is a very handsome car for grown ups with real room for adults in the back with some nice style lines to keep it interesting and give it a sporty look, but it is certainly not over the top. There is no predator grill staring at me that I suspect most Lexus buyers just deal with because they want a Lexus vice actually want that grill on their car. For some a body kit will be desirable, but I think I've never actually seen an A-spec TL even once. The base wheels are truly awful. I'm not a 'wheel guy' and have never bought after market wheels, but those wheels would force me to do that. But they won't be on the trim level I'm looking at... I hope!

We don't know how the TLX performs, so it's too early to tell if it brings that side of things to the table. The TLX seems to bring best in class space, fuel economy, value (provided it is priced well), Honda reliability (hopefully),and it has a lot of features that for the price its competitors probably won't have.

You bought a TL from the generation that most people don't favor in the styling department. Can you blame Acura for going for a more simple approach?

Styling is subjective, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I personally find the TLX vastly more attractive than the 4G TL.
It is the TLX package as a whole that will sell this car. No one feature is the 'killer app' for the TLX. It is the sum of its parts that is the selling point. Hopefully the price is right and the car drives well and the tech works properly. I can't wait to test one out myself. I still wish there were an I4 Advanced trim offered.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
a35tl (05-12-2014), Gen4MDX (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
I think this is quite a nice profile of the TLX.... as I mentioned elsewhere before, the silver colour really showed off the lines and it just looked rather good here!

BTW, what is this "reveal at Acura Canada"? Does anyone know much about this event?!
Old 05-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You miss the point completely. Its not about that being the only version people will want to buy. Its that some DO. Other manufacturers make a performance orientated version, Acura used to make one. Is it too much to be disapointed in the current version and hope and WANT them to do it again. Many of us DONT want to go to another manufacturer but Acura isnt giving us much of a choice when the others do. Hopefully Acura decides to get that sooner than later.
I already mentioned there would be a Type S coming....

The Type S has never come at launch.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Thankfully Acura's tend to last, so maybe by the time I'm tired of my '12 they'll have refreshed the TLX. I'm just not digging those headlights. They look alright on the MDX, and would probably translate well to the RDX, but on sedans they just look forced to me
Old 05-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Well the grill has become Acura's identity, as long as they stick with it and don't change to something else next generation. I think it starts to look better and better after the 1st generation.

I think the car will sell well. 5K units per month is not hard to achieve. For those who are driving old Acuras, Hondas or new to Acura (looking to upgrade from mainstream brands), the TLX is a great choice.

But for those like me who drives 4G TLs will probably not upgrade to the TLX anytime soon. The real question is if the TLX is attractive enough to make buyers of other luxury brands to jump ship. The only 2 things that Acura needs to win are Price and Reliability. If the price is not competitive any more, people will go with Lexus. If Acura becomes less reliable, people will go with the Germans, or Lexus.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

And that is a mistake. Acura can not use the old rules in today's market. You don't see most of the competition waiting 2-3 years to introduce the Sport model, most are at launch.
The following users liked this post:
fsttyms1 (05-13-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 12:06 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
H_CAR....You missed one important detail though.....when the 3G came out, it offered many new tech, amazing styling embraced by all and lots of power for its time.

What does the TLX bring to the table that competitors don't have (besides ugly wheels)?

I am not hoping for a type for the performance....just that this would be the only hope I have to see a decent body kit, visible dual exhausts and sexy wheels. Something that my current TL has already...I didn't wait for Acura to produce 4G Type-S to buy one....

The sad part is that next spring, I'll likely cave and have a TLX in white sitting in my driveway with a bodykit.....
If I remember correctly, the 3G was high tech in terms of the gadgets that were available - bluetooth connectivity, voice activated controls, ELS stereo with DVD playback capability, etc.

On the other hand, the TLX seems to be high tech mechanically - new hydraulic SH-AWD system, 9-speed AT, 8-speed DCT with torque converter, P-AWS. These are all features that are unique/exclusive to the TLX.

On top of the above, there are LED headlights, electronic gear selector, all of those safety systems (CMBS, lane watch, FCW, LKAS, ACC, BSI, etc), acuralink, etc.

I know that you are concerned with some of the new technologies such as 9AT. But the question is, if you want new technologies, there's always a risk of reliability. If instead the car comes with standard 6AT, then some would say that Acura is so behind the competition. See the issue here? Case in point, there is a dual screen setup with the Acuralink or whatever it's called, and already some are finding it buggy. So, should we stick with old reliable tech, or new tech but run the risk of being less reliable at first?
a35tl (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 12:29 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

At this point the "Type S" is all speculation. IMHO until we hear directly from Acura, we should assume the Type S is NOT coming.
fsttyms1 (05-13-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
But for those like me who drives 4G TLs will probably not upgrade to the TLX anytime soon. The real question is if the TLX is attractive enough to make buyers of other luxury brands to jump ship. The only 2 things that Acura needs to win are Price and Reliability. If the price is not competitive any more, people will go with Lexus. If Acura becomes less reliable, people will go with the Germans, or Lexus.
Yup. The TLX may very well make or break Acura's sedan division. If it fails, people will be jumping ship. Lexus has the new IS/GS/and new RF/RF-C/NX coming out. Audi has new A3/S3, and redesigned A4/TT is coming out. MB has new CLA and new C class. BMW has new 2/3/4 series. Even Volvo is starting to look interesting. Over here Acura has the hot selling 300+ unit/month RLX and an underpowered cramped ILX.

At this point in time, the TLX is not enough for me to upgrade from my TL 6MT. There just isn't enough wow factor; more of a "meh, it's alright. Nothing special." The prototype was exciting; then I got let down by the bland production model. Interior quietness is nothing to be excited about.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
And that is a mistake. Acura can not use the old rules in today's market. You don't see most of the competition waiting 2-3 years to introduce the Sport model, most are at launch.
What do you want? If a Type S was ready it would be coming out at launch.

Acura has always come out with the Type S three years after and that is likely how it will be. Don't like? Buy another car

It's not like the Type S would be a big seller any way.

I still see this TL (non Type S) around far more often than the Type S model.

Originally Posted by docboy
At this point the "Type S" is all speculation. IMHO until we hear directly from Acura, we should assume the Type S is NOT coming.
Fine, ignore the obvious hints Acura has been giving us

Of course we still don't know 100% for sure, but since Acura said that SH-AWD is NOT a replacement for the Type S anymore, and there "may" be a model with dual exhausts in the future, I'm expecting a Type S in the future.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:07 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
But the front of the new Avalon is horrible.
I disagree. Look flows front to back nicely. Acura not as well.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vbx
The k900 is actually pretty bad azz.
You'd be crazy to buy a 60K KIA. No track record, No Resale…..
Gen4MDX (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Treblig
Let's get the car on the road first. If there are shortcomings, and there is sure to be some, then the hue and cry from the owners and would be owners will be heard and Acura will respond (or not...). But at this point we are all speculating based on the interviews (marketing opportunity) and rumors (base-less at the moment). As many have mentioned, the TL has been a pretty good riding, handling and value machine in it's 4 generations so far (despite its questionable looks). Good enough that many of us have owned more than one. If this first roll-out is lacking, tweaks and fixes should surely follow on subsequent roll-outs. Well that's my hope anyway. I will be looking closely at the 2016 version.
Is should be as issue free ash the 2013 ILX.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
We need a 3G TL parked beside a 5G TL (TLX) in the same colors with a good photographer.

Then we all need to go see one in person. I think the TLX is a decent evolution of the 3G TL.
The following 3 users liked this post by Timmy18:
a35tl (05-12-2014), Acura_Dude (05-13-2014), hadokenuh (05-13-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I still wish there were an I4 Advanced trim offered.
That is what I want also, I think the I4 is going to be a blast to drive
Rocket_man (05-12-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Senior Moderator

You also said

There is no proof from Acura that they will. Hopefully they have learned and will but until there is word from them all we can do is speculate. AND hope its not just a body kit and different wheels.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Acura has always come out with the Type S three years after and that is likely how it will be. Don't like? Buy another car

Of course we still don't know 100% for sure, but since Acura said that SH-AWD is NOT a replacement for the Type S anymore, and there "may" be a model with dual exhausts in the future, I'm expecting a Type S in the future.
And thats what we are pointing out. Other manufacturers announce them right away with the standard production models, Acura doesnt. Others bring them out at the same time, acura doesnt. WHY should we go buy another car??? Is it so wrong for us to want them to do something like the competition?

And again, i think you are missing the point. Special models arent supposed to be big sellers, but they are there for those that DO WANT them.

Yea, listen to the hints. Just like we have been listening to all of their talk of NSX is being made, now its not, now its on again, now its off, oh.... guess what now its on again. Sorry, ill believe it when they actually confirm there will be a S model or similar and not just assume from what some claim to be hints.
The following 3 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
Acura_Dude (05-13-2014), cokorote (05-13-2014), mylove4cars (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
I do not understand Acura's philosophy; replacing 2 models with 1 model and not even offer an S or GT version? Every car manufactory is adding to their line-up.

Acura is reducing their line-up without substitute, even the prototype which had a nicer and sportier appearance, disappeared for some unknown reason; I wonder why no one did ask Matt Hargett that question, why?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
That depends on the nature of the sport model. When it's just about different suspension, seats, and the like, such as BMW's Sport Package/Line and Lexus's F-Sport package, they're often available at launch. When the sport model also includes a modified or different engine, it often takes longer, like the WRX, Focus ST, Mazdaspeed 3 (not out yet), BMW M cars, etc. The M-B AMG models seem to come pretty quickly though, like the recently introduced AMG variant of the CLA.

Also, at least some Acura sedans come standard with some important stuff that's included in others' sport packages, particularly fairly tight suspensions and well bolstered sport seats. (Some exceptions, I know, like the FWD 4G TL.) When I bought my 2010 TSX, it was tighter than a 328i without sport package, and had much better seats. It was very much like a Saab 9-3 Aero (sport version), albeit with less power and much more refinement. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the TLX is similar, and turns out to be a tighter driving package than non-sport BMW's and Lexuses without the F-Sport package.

We should also keep in mind the TLX has driving "modes" to enhance the car's performance already, which arguably makes a dedicated sport model less necessary. (I don't really think this, but I bet some people do, and let's see how the modes work.)

Considering all this, a true Type-S would probably include meaningful engine modifications, and thus some delay. Not surprising to me, and in the grand scheme I don't think it's a problem for Acura.
Gen4MDX (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by mylove4cars
I do not understand Acura's philosophy; replacing 2 models with 1 model and not even offer an S or GT version? Every car manufactory is adding to their line-up.

Acura is reducing their line-up without substitute, even the prototype which had a nicer and sportier appearance, disappeared for some unknown reason; I wonder why no one did ask Matt Hargett that question, why?
That's EXACTLY what I want to know. I've asked that before, and got no responses.

Acura teases us with filet mignon, and end up giving us beef jerky.

I know there are a few members here on AZ who work at Acura dealerships. Perhaps they have an answer?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
That's EXACTLY what I want to know. I've asked that before, and got no responses.

I know there are a few members here on AZ who work at Acura dealerships. Perhaps they have an answer?

Where did you see the filet mignon docboy?? Are you referring to the new NSX??

I think that a better culinary expression, drawing a parallel between beef and Acura is "Stick a fork in it, Acura is done".

Last edited by saturno_v; 05-13-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can't wait to see if there is a hybrid version in the next few years with a good blend of fuel efficiency, performance, and cost effective. One can always dream.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
I have owned two type S. The 2nd Gen was not much of an upgrade other than horse power and suspension that was too rigid. The 3g type S was more of an upgrade over the base in my opinion. However, Acura only made so many which is why you will see more none type S on the road today. In addition, the 3gen type S was not released til 07 so the regular none type S had a 3 year head start. So you should never expect to see more type S on the road than the base. The only reason I think Acura waits well into the model life is because they are trying to boost sales until the next model is built.

Last edited by keith7120; 05-13-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Everybody is still talking about type s but I consider that A-spec was huge improvement to base on everything.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

I forgot about these from instagram... not sure if you've seen them. It looks rather nice in white.

The following 8 users liked this post by randomRon82:
a35tl (05-13-2014), Gen4MDX (05-13-2014), hadokenuh (05-13-2014), ostrich (05-13-2014), Oswald Vater (05-14-2014), Rocket_man (05-13-2014), Timmy18 (05-13-2014), weather (05-13-2014) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-13-2014, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Even though I have to admit that it looks good in white, I also get aroused when I see a white Hyundai Accent.....
Old 05-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Lol.. okay safe to say that you're partial to white

^^ Even though I have to admit that it looks good in white, I also get aroused when I see a white Hyundai Accent.....
weather (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
Purely speculateing here, but I doubt Acura will offer Type-S trim on any model ever again, it ended with the 3GTL. It dosent jive with their image now. Sure, there may be a sport/beefed up TLX one day but im sure it will be called something else.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I still see plenty of Type-S on the road and think it ages well, considering it is 7 years old and the 3G 10 years that style has aged very well.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts

That right there is sig or blackmail material ...
Old 05-13-2014, 06:40 PM
Drifting

It looks rather nice in white.

Yes, it does.... please, with this white beauty, let's get Weather back from the dark side....
a35tl (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Drifting

^ I also get aroused when I see a white Hyundai Accent.....
Oh my!!! I posted the above before I saw this...!!!

Weather, what if it were a white Aztek?!?! Do you get "excited" by that too!?

ROTFLOL
Old 05-13-2014, 06:53 PM
Drifting

Hello Weather.... how ya doin'?! ROTFLOL
weather (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
4thaccord...Point well taken. Using your logic though, I should go and get my Audi S5 that I lust over regardless of the reliability and enjoy it to the max
Well, I went and ordered a loaded 335i M Sport instead...

So I passed on the jerky...and got USDA Prime.

Quick Reply: TLX in the wild... and new pics