TLX vs ILX...be warned....long post

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:26 AM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
TLX vs ILX...be warned....long post

I recently Traded my 2016 ILX Premium A-Spec for a 2016 TLX 2.4Tech. Love both vehicles but the small size, noise and lack of tech in ILX Premium drove me to trade for the bigger brother. So now that I owned both vehicles I can fairly compare the two with little MINOR likes and dislikes for both cars.

**MY LIKES OF THE ILX**

1) Blind Spot Monitoring.
I feel the ILX blind spot warning light on the mirror itself is more convenient to see while changing lanes since your eyes are already on the mirror vs the TLX the warning light is in the inside of the car slightly less convenient .

2) Sirius XM
I was able to tag songs on the ILX. The TLX allows me to tag only FM not SXM. So sad about this. I was able to rewind for about 15 mins on all SXM stations with my ILX.

3) HDMI input
Well lets just say since the ILX Premium has and hdmi connection we found a way to hack it and mirror my phone which is better than apple car play and Android auto. Looks like i wont be mirroring my phone anymore.

4) Headlights
the LED turn signals on the ILX are amazing.

5) A-Spec red gauges and headliner
The TLX needs a true A-Spec package with red guages and black headliner

**MY DISLIKES OF THE ILX**

1) Engine Noise
Dont get me wrong I like engine noise but I also like quite and the ILX can not do both. If I just tap on the gas lightly the engine noise is too much. While cruising the engine noise is gone BUT now have to hear road nosie. My wife kia Optima EX has less road noise than the ILX. On the flip side when its time to take off... the ILX has a nice sound.

2) Premium Audio System
OMG I wanted to shoot the radio. Never had I own a car that has a sub and the sub has NO range. Sub sounds nice when I seat in the back seat right next to it, but in the front seat I can bearly get the bass I desire.

3) Storage
While I think the ILX has lots of storage, I feel it could had been better designed. The door bins are extremely small. A bottle of water takes up 85% of bin space. The lil cubby in the center console was badly designed as once the car is in park with the shift knock to it top position blocks the cubby making it uncomfortable getting anything out the cubby.

5)No Rear Vents
In the entry-level luxury segment I would like to see rear vents. Even though I may rarely need them, it's a luxury to have.

6) Only 1 Map Pocket
I think it is silly how the ILX has only one seat with a map pocket. It does not look good, it looks odd. Either put map pockets behind both seats or no map pockets at all. But preferably both for more storage space.

**MY LIKES OF THE TLX**

1) ELS system
I have heard the ELS system on the ILX before and trust me its nothing compared to the ELS system in the TLX.

2) DRL
While I think the LED turn signals from the ILX is nicer, the DRL from the TLX is beautiful. Having all 5 LED slots on looks amazing. ILX could not do this without having to turn on your brights.

3)Center Console
Love the virbrated feedback the TLX puts out when I touch the screen. Love that the climate control and heatef seats is integrated into the touch screen. Makes the bottom screen that much more useful Vs the ILX the bottom screen controls audio and short cuts only

4) Size
Self explanatory... bigger trunk. More back seat space legroom/ headroom.

5) Ride and Quality
Now my ILX had the same exact powertrain of the 2.4 TLX But yet engine noise is greatly reduce in my TLX why is this?
The aluminum and wood trims make for a more grown up fit and finsh vs the cheap looking silver painted plastic in the ILX

6) Auto Seat Roll Back
I love that the seats roll back when exiting and entering the TLX

7] Break Hold
Cant tell you how much I love this feature.

8) More Blue Lights
Love the blue light in the door handles and storages area very convenient.

**DISLIKES OF THE TLX **

1) Flat Floor In The Back Seat
I know this hump in the center on the back seat floor is reserved for the SH AWD but i wish it was offer flat in the non AWD models like the ilx

2) No Footrest Lights
Every car I've ever own had footrest lights. I was very surprised to see the TLX did not have any. The map light are not bright enough. I drop something and needed to use the flash light from my phone to find it.

3) Hard Platic On Door Panel Above Arm Rest
The ILX has very soft leather against the door panel under the rubberized soft touch material. I use to rub my hand against the soft leather at stop lights because it was so soft lol wish the TLX has the same set up.

Both cars are good car but the TLX is a better fit for me as you can see I have more likes and less dislike on my TLX

.Hope this helps someone trying to decide between to two.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rae Rad:
benjaminh (05-14-2016), miner (05-26-2016), mrgold35 (05-12-2016), rockstar143 (07-28-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 04:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Huh. I would have never guessed someone would enjoy the higher quality TLX over the cheaper ILX.

You sir are paving the way. Silly me. I should have realized if I paid 10G more Id get a nicer car.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:44 AM
Rae Ray

Originally Posted by usdmJON
Silly me. I should have realized if I paid 10G more Id get a nicer car.
Thats the point...
The ILX Premium A-Spec (which is the 3rd trim up) is 31k.
The base TLX is also 31k

The top trim ILX Tech Plus A-Spec is 35k
The TLX 2.4 Tech is 36k

The TLX 2.4 trim levels can be cross shop with the top 3 ILX trim levels by price point with both vehicles offering the same exact powertrain.

Now if you want the top trim SH AWD Advance V6 3.5 TLX for sure its 10k more.

Last edited by Rae Rad; 05-12-2016 at 05:53 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Rae Rad:
07Acuradude (07-29-2016), BEAR-AvHistory (05-28-2016), justnspace (05-12-2016), rockstar143 (07-28-2016), wlkeel (05-12-2016), youngTL (05-12-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-12-2016, 10:09 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Very insightful in comparing the ILX to the TLX. I'm slowly looking to replace my 08 RDX and was thinking about the ILX tech or TLX tech with 2.4L engine. On paper, it looks like the ILX would lean more towards sporty and the TLX is more on the luxury side. I can see how the extra luxury touches, extra room, and little to no mpgs/acceleration penalty in mormal driving would move you more towards the TLX. I'm still holding out because I want to see if Acura will come out with the AWP option on all ILX/TLX trim levels on +17 models or even an 2.4L TLX Advance model maybe. Might have to go with the V-6 tech just to get the 8-way passenger power seat. I rather have the manual slide forward/back passenger seat in my RDX than the painfully slow moving powered 4-way I already have in my TSX.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Rae Ray

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Very insightful in comparing the ILX to the TLX. I'm slowly looking to replace my 08 RDX and was thinking about the ILX tech or TLX tech with 2.4L engine. On paper, it looks like the ILX would lean more towards sporty and the TLX is more on the luxury side. I can see how the extra luxury touches, extra room, and little to no mpgs/acceleration penalty in mormal driving would move you more towards the TLX. I'm still holding out because I want to see if Acura will come out with the AWP option on all ILX/TLX trim levels on +17 models or even an 2.4L TLX Advance model maybe. Might have to go with the V-6 tech just to get the 8-way passenger power seat. I rather have the manual slide forward/back passenger seat in my RDX than the painfully slow moving powered 4-way I already have in my TSX.
It all depends on what you are looking for. You are correct the ILX is more on the Sporty side with the engine noise and low hmm's of the exhaust. TLX is more on the Luxury side with an extremely quite cabin and little to no engine/exhaust noise. BUT if you put the padel to the medal both vehicles sound glorious.

All TLX are equipped with P-AWS ThAt no ILX has. Not sure what an AWP option is you are referring to. The P-AWS TLX I hear it helps with handling and cornering. I dont really feel nothing, maybe if I was able to turn it on and off I can try to feel the difference.

I had a V6 loaner not so long ago. The V6 Tlx is more powerful but power difference is not too noticeable in day to day driving the I4 does a great job when you step on it and passing on the highway. ALSO I'm not comfortable with the electronic gear selector. While I will admit it looks cool but as a daily driver its not as comfortable as a standard shifter especially while parallel parking.

either one is a great choice. Good luck and happy shopping

Here's a short video from a professional driver

Last edited by Rae Rad; 05-12-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:40 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I think Acura added Acura Watch Plus (ACC, CMBS, LKAS, FCW, LDW, road departure Mitigation) to all +17 MDXs as standard. I'm thinking they might offer it as an option on all trim levels for the 17 TLX and/or standard on all trim levels by the 18 TLX MMC?
Old 05-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Rae Ray

I think Acura added Acura Watch Plus (ACC, CMBS, LKAS, FCW, LDW, road departure Mitigation) to all +17 MDXs as standard. I'm thinking they might offer it as an option on all trim levels for the 17 TLX and/or standard on all trim levels by the 18 TLX MMC?
Correct the top Trim ILX has all the nice safety goodies. The TLX tech has the LKAS and FCW only. If you want the other safety goodies on the TLX you will need the Advance trim. It blows that the advance trim is not offered with the I4 trims

Yes, Acura Watch Plus is Acura's new safety package and will be offered on all future models. Hopefully we will see it on the mmc TLX
Old 05-12-2016, 03:30 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Rae Rad
Thats the point...
The ILX Premium A-Spec (which is the 3rd trim up) is 31k.
The base TLX is also 31k

The top trim ILX Tech Plus A-Spec is 35k
The TLX 2.4 Tech is 36k
Best option:

Accord Touring V6 with more tech than the TLX with tech
MSRP = $33,580
The following 2 users liked this post by AZuser:
neuronbob (05-19-2016), princelybug (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't understand how you guys keep comparing the ACCORD to the TLX? I understand they have similar power etc. but the TLX is an entire level up in refinement and smoothness. I can't believe how many people are on here and HATE Acura products. Really makes no sense why they are here?
The following 5 users liked this post by dboz:
a35tl (05-13-2016), mapleloaf (07-29-2016), Rae Rad (05-12-2016), superblast (08-01-2016), wlkeel (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 04:32 PM
Rae Ray

Another Plus for me is I saved $$ on insurance $156 every 6 months The LKAS and FCW add a nice discount. I can imagine what my rate would be if I had the complete Acura Watch package.

Last edited by Rae Rad; 05-12-2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:36 PM
Rae Ray

Originally Posted by AZuser
Best option:

Accord Touring V6 with more tech than the TLX with tech
MSRP = $33,580
The Accord is an extremely competitive car!! BUT... Park the TLX and Accord side by side, debadge them both. I'd pick the TLX everytime.
TLX just looks more attractive and upscale IMO.

Last edited by Rae Rad; 05-12-2016 at 04:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
07Acuradude (07-29-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
The Accord is an extremely competitive car!! BUT... Park the TLX and Accord side by side, debadge them both. I'd pick the TLX everytime.
x2.

The Accord is not badly finished, but the TLX's is clearly a notch above.
07Acuradude (07-29-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 06:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
i agree 100%. people who really know cars with no bias would say the TLX is the nicer vehicle from fit to finish.
07Acuradude (07-29-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by dboz
I can't understand how you guys keep comparing the ACCORD to the TLX? I understand they have similar power etc. but the TLX is an entire level up in refinement and smoothness. I can't believe how many people are on here and HATE Acura products. Really makes no sense why they are here?
The comparison between the Accord and the TL and now TLX has been happening for decades. I do agree that the TLX is an entire level up in refinement and I too would pay extra to have the TLX over the Accord based on looks alone because I can't stand the new front chrome look Honda is using but you can't close your eyes and pretend that the Accord in it's top trim level is not an excellent value compared to the TLX can you?

Regarding the "haters", don't take what you read here on AcuraZine so seriously Part of what makes this site so great is the ability of everyone to have an opinion. Trust me when I say, there are many more satisfied owners of the TLX on this site vs. those who have had unfortunate experiences, non owners, and trolls.

Last edited by ggesq; 05-13-2016 at 08:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ggesq:
neuronbob (05-19-2016), rockstar143 (07-28-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 10:08 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
That was very useful. For the same price you are getting completely different vehicles. TLX is a winner for sure in this comparison. I would like the V6 option but I haven't mentally come to terms with the electronic shifter. I like the stick shifter. I haven't driven any of these cars yet. . Anyway nice thread.
Rae Rad (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ggesq

Regarding the "haters", don't take what you read here on AcuraZine so seriously Part of what makes this site so great is the ability of everyone to have an opinion. Trust me when I say, there are many more satisfied owners of the TLX on this site vs. those who have had unfortunate experiences, non owners, and trolls.
Believe me. That doea s not make this place great. I know a few ilx owners that wont bother with this place because of stupid drama. People like to troll but cant handle a real difference in opinion. Imo if you dont own an acura you move on. I bonded with dudes in the nwp and team integra forums but i dont continue to harass the users there just because i used to own one or have a superiority complex over any of the newer models.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:38 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
i agree 100%. people who really know cars with no bias would say the TLX is the nicer vehicle from fit to finish.
I agree. I parked next to a done-up Accord in black for comparison. Very nice BUT there is a bit more class to the TLX. Electronic glitches aside, I'm happy with the 2.4 motor - it is as quick as I need it to be and sounds so nice when wound out. It's an enthusiastic car as far as it goes but not quite as get-up-and-go-now as my previous TSX with the same engine. Good handling balance.

As a daily workhorse driver the Accord would be very nice I suppose. But not for me.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CanTex
I agree. I parked next to a done-up Accord in black for comparison. Very nice BUT there is a bit more class to the TLX. Electronic glitches aside, I'm happy with the 2.4 motor - it is as quick as I need it to be and sounds so nice when wound out. It's an enthusiastic car as far as it goes but not quite as get-up-and-go-now as my previous TSX with the same engine. Good handling balance.

As a daily workhorse driver the Accord would be very nice I suppose. But not for me.
I shopped the v6 accords but I thought they were too ugly...and too expensive.I gave up and scored my 3.5 tech 2015 used with 11k on it for 30995.Since then I have seen many of the new accords on the road including the sport model.I have seen very few TLX's...about 1 a week or so.

The reactions to my bellanova white/espresso TLX surprised me...the car attracts a surprising amount of attention especially from BMW and Benz drivers.Lots of "nice car" comments too.This is probably not the same experience new accord owners have.

The differences mechanically between the TLX and accord make it worth the price difference even with aesthetics unconsidered.The TLX chassis is stiffer with stiffer suspension mounting points, the TLX has P-AWS, the TLX has much better sound deadening construct etc etc.

While I can understand the accord vs TLX debate what the TLX brings to the table is compelling for me...A quiet serene ride combined with great handling dynamics and adequate power for what I want plus incredible fuel economy wrapped in a beautiful aerodynamic body.The ELS sound system is epic too!

Try getting aggressive discounts on accords...not so much.They are great cars...and the local dealer would not budge off the sticker...not an inch.

Last edited by cistercian; 05-13-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=ggesq;15750776]The comparison between the Accord and the TL and now TLX has been happening for decades. I do agree that the TLX is an entire level up in refinement and I too would pay extra to have the TLX over the Accord based on looks alone because I can't stand the new front chrome look Honda is using but you can't close your eyes and pretend that the Accord in it's top trim level is not an excellent value compared to the TLX can you?

Regarding the "haters", don't take what you read here on AcuraZine so seriously Part of what makes this site so great is the ability of everyone to have an opinion. Trust me when I say, there are many more satisfied owners of the TLX on this site vs. those who have had unfortunate experiences, non owners, and trolls.[/Qyears

You could easily argue the Civic Touring is a far better value vs. the Accord if you don't need the V6. I considered the Civic prior to my TLX. Loaded Civic Touring is $27, could get it at $25k, and saved $12k over my TLX. Never gave the Accord a single look. Gave the Pilot a test. Too close in price for no benefit in my book in the Accord. If I am going $30k plus on an Accord Touring, the additional $5k for my AWD tech was a no brainer. I do love the Touring wheels though. My only gripe with all Acura products is the wheel designs. Easily to remedy, but should not be necessary. And why not let buyers choose styles at this level?

I don't take haters seriously. I just can't figure out why they bother with the brand or come on to bitch. Makes no sense. If Acura is so crappy just move on over to another forum. Why come here and bash every detail relentlessly? The relentless comparison to cars 10 years old is absurd. 10 years ago I would take a GTO over any Acura.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
[QUOTE=dboz;15751598]
Originally Posted by ggesq
I don't take haters seriously. I just can't figure out why they bother with the brand or come on to bitch. Makes no sense. If Acura is so crappy just move on over to another forum. Why come here and bash every detail relentlessly? The relentless comparison to cars 10 years old is absurd. 10 years ago I would take a GTO over any Acura.
I think it is because they cannot accept that they made a mistake and want to shift the responsibility to someone/somewhere else.

But I do not mind the negatives. When I research something I look at all the negatives (with a grain of salt.) If it is something that I think might bother me I look further. Otherwise it is just noise.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:31 PM
Rae Ray

When the EX Wife met the Bride to be.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:45 AM
06 TL 6MT + 18 ATS-V 8AT

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts
^ Thought the "ACURA" trunk logo was no longer being included as of a few years ago??
Old 05-26-2016, 01:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by silverTL6
^ Thought the "ACURA" trunk logo was no longer being included as of a few years ago??
The ILX doesnt come with the Acura badge or the Aspec badge on the trunk. Rae put both of those on himself. I guess he never got around to putting the dash back on between A and spec.
silverTL6 (05-26-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I recently Traded my 2016 ILX Premium A-Spec for a 2016 TLX 2.4Tech. Love both vehicles but the small size, noise and lack of tech in ILX Premium drove me to trade for the bigger brother. So now that I owned both vehicles I can fairly compare the two with little MINOR likes and dislikes for both cars.

**MY LIKES OF THE ILX**

1) Blind Spot Monitoring.
I feel the ILX blind spot warning light on the mirror itself is more convenient to see while changing lanes since your eyes are already on the mirror vs the TLX the warning light is in the inside of the car slightly less convenient .

2) Sirius XM
I was able to tag songs on the ILX. The TLX allows me to tag only FM not SXM. So sad about this. I was able to rewind for about 15 mins on all SXM stations with my ILX.

3) HDMI input
Well lets just say since the ILX Premium has and hdmi connection we found a way to hack it and mirror my phone which is better than apple car play and Android auto. Looks like i wont be mirroring my phone anymore.

4) Headlights
the LED turn signals on the ILX are amazing.

5) A-Spec red gauges and headliner
The TLX needs a true A-Spec package with red guages and black headliner

**MY DISLIKES OF THE ILX**

1) Engine Noise
Dont get me wrong I like engine noise but I also like quite and the ILX can not do both. If I just tap on the gas lightly the engine noise is too much. While cruising the engine noise is gone BUT now have to hear road nosie. My wife kia Optima EX has less road noise than the ILX. On the flip side when its time to take off... the ILX has a nice sound.

2) Premium Audio System
OMG I wanted to shoot the radio. Never had I own a car that has a sub and the sub has NO range. Sub sounds nice when I seat in the back seat right next to it, but in the front seat I can bearly get the bass I desire.

3) Storage
While I think the ILX has lots of storage, I feel it could had been better designed. The door bins are extremely small. A bottle of water takes up 85% of bin space. The lil cubby in the center console was badly designed as once the car is in park with the shift knock to it top position blocks the cubby making it uncomfortable getting anything out the cubby.

5)No Rear Vents
In the entry-level luxury segment I would like to see rear vents. Even though I may rarely need them, it's a luxury to have.

6) Only 1 Map Pocket
I think it is silly how the ILX has only one seat with a map pocket. It does not look good, it looks odd. Either put map pockets behind both seats or no map pockets at all. But preferably both for more storage space.

**MY LIKES OF THE TLX**

1) ELS system
I have heard the ELS system on the ILX before and trust me its nothing compared to the ELS system in the TLX.

2) DRL
While I think the LED turn signals from the ILX is nicer, the DRL from the TLX is beautiful. Having all 5 LED slots on looks amazing. ILX could not do this without having to turn on your brights.

3)Center Console
Love the virbrated feedback the TLX puts out when I touch the screen. Love that the climate control and heatef seats is integrated into the touch screen. Makes the bottom screen that much more useful Vs the ILX the bottom screen controls audio and short cuts only

4) Size
Self explanatory... bigger trunk. More back seat space legroom/ headroom.

5) Ride and Quality
Now my ILX had the same exact powertrain of the 2.4 TLX But yet engine noise is greatly reduce in my TLX why is this?
The aluminum and wood trims make for a more grown up fit and finsh vs the cheap looking silver painted plastic in the ILX

6) Auto Seat Roll Back
I love that the seats roll back when exiting and entering the TLX

7] Break Hold
Cant tell you how much I love this feature.

8) More Blue Lights
Love the blue light in the door handles and storages area very convenient.

**DISLIKES OF THE TLX **

1) Flat Floor In The Back Seat
I know this hump in the center on the back seat floor is reserved for the SH AWD but i wish it was offer flat in the non AWD models like the ilx

2) No Footrest Lights
Every car I've ever own had footrest lights. I was very surprised to see the TLX did not have any. The map light are not bright enough. I drop something and needed to use the flash light from my phone to find it.

The ILX has very soft leather against the door panel under the rubberized soft touch material. I use to rub my hand against the soft leather at stop lights because it was so soft lol wish the TLX has the same set up.

X

.Hope this helps someone trying to decide between to two.

Really it comes down to what size car you need and the price you are willing to spend without a doubt. If you need more space the ILX is pointless to compare and talk about. If both sizes are a possibility than The IlX has my vote as long as you are comparing the Base TLX versus upper trims of the ILX which all fall around the $30k mark. Now if you are willing to spend $5-$15k more, than the TLX just blows the ILX away in terms of features and performance with a V6 and SH-AWD. But here is the thing I don't know many people who target a $45k car in a top of the line TLX and than would consider a $30k ILX. So while it is fun to compare the two I think many people know the type of car they actually need right off the bat and by making comparisons we are just confusing ourselves.

Either way they are both great cars, my real issue isn't that the ILX has a lot of crossover with the TLX, but the fact that the TLX (if that is the size you need) gets pricey at $45k and at that price I'd rather buy a Lexus or German car any day. What makes the ILX appealing is that it is a premium car that truly can be had for $30k or less unlike the Germans or Lexus

Last edited by Joseph Park; 07-28-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:04 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
I used to get confused on which was which. I've only driven a TLX and was impressed, but I always think the ILX looks super nice too.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts

I'm confused. My 2016 TLX Tech has leather - or leather look alike - above the arm rest, not hard plastic.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
If I read another Honda Accord post here....and I like the Accord.....i will scream. Either that or I will go post pro Toyota comments on Lexus, or Nissan comments on Infiniti, etc, etc. But then I would also be a ........(fill in your own insult here).
Old 07-30-2016, 01:17 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
If I read another Honda Accord post here....and I like the Accord.....i will scream. Either that or I will go post pro Toyota comments on Lexus, or Nissan comments on Infiniti, etc, etc. But then I would also be a ........(fill in your own insult here).

uhhh...? Sorry??
Old 07-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Rae Ray

Originally Posted by Joseph Park
Really it comes down to what size car you need and the price you are willing to spend without a doubt. If you need more space the ILX is pointless to compare and talk about. If both sizes are a possibility than The IlX has my vote as long as you are comparing the Base TLX versus upper trims of the ILX which all fall around the $30k mark. Now if you are willing to spend $5-$15k more, than the TLX just blows the ILX away in terms of features and performance with a V6 and SH-AWD. But here is the thing I don't know many people who target a $45k car in a top of the line TLX and than would consider a $30k ILX. So while it is fun to compare the two I think many people know the type of car they actually need right off the bat and by making comparisons we are just confusing ourselves.

Either way they are both great cars, my real issue isn't that the ILX has a lot of crossover with the TLX, but the fact that the TLX (if that is the size you need) gets pricey at $45k and at that price I'd rather buy a Lexus or German car any day. What makes the ILX appealing is that it is a premium car that truly can be had for $30k or less unlike the Germans or Lexus
I made this comparison not to confuse people, but to give my personal experience between both vehicles and to show that they can cross shop each other by price point. My first initial visit the dealer off the bat I though the TLX would be way too much money to get into, not knowing that infact to price difference is not so far apart considering the i4, or even the 3.5 V6 TLX Base can cross shop the top trim ILX Tech Plus A-Spec both MSRP at 35k. But like you said it depends on what you are looking for.
I was looking to get into the Acura brand for the first time... those Jewel Eye headlights is what drew me in.... The size wasn't really a factor at first. I was ok with it, untill it began to bug me..... the roof of the ILX is too low, my fitted cap would touch the roof even with the seat at its lowest position and I'm not a tall person I'm 5,7' with boots on lol The windshield view is narrow, when stopped at a red light I can't wait to close to the traffic light cuz I wont be able to see it. The sunvisor is too low while using it to block the sun from me eyes it blocks the view to the windshield.
Anyway..
I don't mean to throw stones at the ILX. I enjoy the time i spent with it. I just regret not getting into a TLX the first time, I waist a year paying for the ILX then turnt it in. Smh I didn't want this to happen to someone else in the same shoes as me.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:54 PM
Rae Ray

I'm confused. My 2016 TLX Tech has leather - or leather look alike - above the arm rest, not hard plastic.
Good catch. I actually seen this error not so long after I post the thread but couldn't edit due to the 15 mins rule.

What I meant to write is the "leather" above to arm rest in the TLX is hard like plastic vs the leather above the arm rest in the ILX is soft like plush.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:58 PM
Rae Ray