Is there a way to keep car running instead of having to turn off with remote start???

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 03:50 PM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Is there a way to keep car running instead of having to turn off with remote start???

Is there a way to keep the car running when you enter it and not have to turn it off before driving away and restart it? Seems like it would put a lot of extra wear and tear on the car starting and stopping and starting it again every time you use the remote start, incredibly stupid design in comparison every other remote start I have ever used.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Haven't used the TLX remote start since last winter but I'm pretty sure it won't automatically turn itself off as long as you have your foot on the brake pedal before hitting the start button.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
My car doesn't shut off. It starts in what is like accessory mode, I get in, push the start and it switches to full on mode, never dies.

My 4G had RS and had to restart it after opening the door, the car would shut off
Old 09-24-2015, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
When using the remote start when you turn your car on, all it does it set the inside cabin to 72 degrees and if its really hot out in my Advance package it automatically turns on the seat coolers. There are NO interior or exterior lights on because this way it does not look to be on to other people walking by unless they hear the engine, but yes the engine is on.

When you enter the car and put your foot on the brake and hit the start button your car is NOT restarting itself. At first I thought the same exact thing! What it seems to be is the AC turns itself off for a second then back on and then begins to blast, so there is a little delay. Very annoying and stupid design I completely agree with the original post, but I do not believe it is the engine restarting but rather the AC restarting
The following users liked this post:
Hoosier_TLX (09-25-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 07:52 PM
Pro

I will try hitting start button first next time and see if that works to bring it to full life, but I think I have already tried that. Could they have not installed it properly???
Old 09-25-2015, 02:08 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
I haven't used my remote start since winter either, but I don't remember ever having to re-start the engine.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
I haven't used my remote start since winter either, but I don't remember ever having to re-start the engine.
The engine doesn't shut off. As spoiler said, when you put your foot on the brake and then push the start button, the AC does shut off momentarily as the computer and systems come up but the engine doesn't shut off.

Trust me, that was something that was a bit annoying with the 4G factory RS. As soon as you opened the door with the RS engaged, the engine would die. We have many threads about it in the 4G section. Some people hated how it worked.
Hoosier_TLX (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
I initially thought the engine shut off, but eventually glanced at the tach. It does not shut off.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:08 PM
Pro

So just to reiterate you remote start the car, get in, hit the start button without hitting the brake and the car will stay on and be ready to go??!
I am going to test out when I get off work and get home.
Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by sincitytsx
So just to reiterate you remote start the car, get in, hit the start button without hitting the brake and the car will stay on and be ready to go??!
I'm not sure if the remote start in your vehicle is the same as in my 2016 RDX, but all the replies so far, match the procedure I use in the RDX. So here is my attempt at reiteration:

When the engine is started, no exterior lights are illuminated, and there is no illumination of the dashboard or the infotainment system. The AC or heaters will be running, whatever is required to bring the interior to 72 degrees.

When I open the door with the smart key in my possession, the MID display on the dashboard will now display icons of a foot held over a brake pedal, and a red start button. These icons are meant to remind you of the procedure to follow. If you step on the brake and press the red button, the HVAC blower will momentarily stop blowing, and the sudden decrease in noise gives the sensation that the engine has died, but it hasn't. The instruments and infotainment systems will come to life and the HVAC blower will start up a few seconds later.

If you get in the car and step on the brake and move the transmission selector (without pushing the red button) the engine will die.

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 09-25-2015 at 03:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX-Rick:
Hoosier_TLX (09-25-2015), siemprelisto (07-10-2021)
Old 09-25-2015, 04:11 PM
Pro

If i touch the brake my car will die
Old 09-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by sincitytsx
If i touch the brake my car will die
Apparently your 2015+ TLX has a different system than my 2016 RDX. I thought I would offer a description of my system because it seemed to match up with what many of the others were describing.

Is your remote starter OEM or aftermarket?>
Old 09-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
I was curious so I tried the feature after work today and if you read the information on the display it tells you how to proceed.

I just put my foot on the brake and hit the start button again and I was ready to roll. The car came to life just as though I'd just started it and the car didn't shut off.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Hmm.... are you guys saying your AC comes on/stays on after you press the brake and hit the Start? From my experience :

1) I hit the remote start before leaving my office floor to cool the car down before I reach it.
2) I reach my car, get in the car and the AC is blowing and of course the car is running.
3) I press the brake and hit the start button. The car keeps running without shutting down, but ...
4) The AC goes off.... doesn't come back on until I manually turn it back on.

I tried this today and waited for about 20-30 seconds for the AC to come on, but didn't feel any air. I guess I'll try again tomorrow. Or maybe I'm doing something wrong. The AC going off (and staying off) is kinda corny.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:17 PM
Pro

I was curious so I tried the feature after work today and if you read the information on the display it tells you how to proceed.

I just put my foot on the brake and hit the start button again and I was ready to roll. The car came to life just as though I'd just started it and the car didn't shut off.
So weird, as soon as I hit my brake, it shuts the motor off.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Hmm.... are you guys saying your AC comes on/stays on after you press the brake and hit the Start? From my experience :
The remote start process will try to bring the interior temperature to 72 degrees. That may require the AC or heaters to be used depending on the season.

Once you start the engine by pushing the red button, the HVAC will resume whatever setting you had previously set it for. If you had turned off the AC , then the AC will turn off. If you had a setting of 90 degrees and the remote start had brought it down to 70, then the AC would also go off and the heaters would be called to action to bring the temperature to your desired 90 degrees.
Rocketsfan (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
The remote start process will try to bring the interior temperature to 72 degrees. That may require the AC or heaters to be used depending on the season.

Once you start the engine by pushing the red button, the HVAC will resume whatever setting you had previously set it for. If you had turned off the AC , then the AC will turn off. If you had a setting of 90 degrees and the remote start had brought it down to 70, then the AC would also go off and the heaters would be called to action to bring the temperature to your desired 90 degrees.
Ah, the bolded part is what I had missed. I always turn everything off before shutting the car off.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Ah, the bolded part is what I had missed. I always turn everything off before shutting the car off.
I never turn things off when I exit my car.. especially the AC/heater. They used ot tell us to do that in the old cars due to battery drains.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the remote start, car has to be locked for the remote to work, that makes sense, when I got in the display showed press the brake and press start. When I did that, the car was running normally. I like it, I am sure I will use that in the next few months as the temperatures drop.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:11 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have RS as an accessory. I RS the car (engine runing when I get there). Open the doors, get in. Now my center display between the tach and speedo, displays that I need to depress the brake pedal and press the stop/start button. The AC stops, for only a moment, then restart. And the car comes to life.

You must have the A/C in Auto mode, as the car will heat/cool to the preset temp. And if you have the Advanced package, the seats need to be in Auto mode , too. As they will heat/cool to the preset temp.

Oh, and RS only runs for 10 minutes, then the car will shut off if you have not started it by then.

Last edited by Nascart; 10-07-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
First off, I would like to confirm that everyone is talking about the factory remote start, and not an aftermarket dealer add-on.

On both my TLX, and MDX, remote start works as follows.

On the remote
1. Hit the Lock button 2x
2. Hit the Engine Hold button for a few seconds
3. Watch the blinking lights on top of the remote. If the top right light blinks red, your car did not start(out of range, or trunk/door are open). If the middle light blinks green, your car is now running. (the same lights apply if you are unsure if you locked your doors, and are still within range. I love this feature!)

Once you get to the car,
1. Open the door
The car's engine is running, the windshield defrost setting is on by default at high speed. No other accessories are visibly running
2. Step on the brake, and push the Start/Stop button. (this is indicated right in the dash) The engine stays running, and the rest of the cars systems now turn on (radio, climate control, lights, heated/ventilated seats, etc, etc.)

If you forget to hit the start/stop button, and just put the car in Drive, the engine will turn off.

If your car is not doing this, something is not right.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 10-07-2015 at 01:28 PM.