Realistic selling price of my TLX

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I plan on washing the Maxima tomorrow and will try to remember to post some pics...
The following users liked this post:
nist7 (11-05-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 09:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
would you mind to share with us how much your trade in was?
Old 11-08-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
it's tomorrow!!!

would love to see that sexy max!
nist7 (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,920 Likes on 14,460 Posts
me too.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:08 PM
Racer

Sorry for the delay guys. It's been a totally crappy week. Work garbage....here are a couple pics.

And for the questions about my TLX trade. I got $26,500 on trade. I know it was bad, but my price on the Maxima was $2,000 less than others in my area at the time (Early August, 2016), so I jumped on it. The TLX is a nice car in my opinion, but in retrospect, it feels like more like an appliance compared to the Maxima. I couldn't be happier. Again, it's only MY opinion, and I'm kind of surprised myself. I've driven nothing but Honda & Acura's since 1997, so my point is not to bash Honda. I wish they'd get their act together. They certainly do some things better than most car companies. But right now, they're just not manufacturing anything I'd pay my hard-earned money to own. And two big reasons for that are #1 their lack of competitive options and #2 their infotainment/navigation system. FWIW....
Attached Thumbnails Realistic selling price of my TLX-max2.jpg   Realistic selling price of my TLX-maxima1.jpg   Realistic selling price of my TLX-max-int1.jpg   Realistic selling price of my TLX-max-int3.jpg   Realistic selling price of my TLX-max-int2.jpg  

Realistic selling price of my TLX-max3.jpg   Realistic selling price of my TLX-max4.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by bsprinker:
nist7 (11-13-2016), randomRon82 (11-24-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,920 Likes on 14,460 Posts
Dude...are you kidding me...flat bottomed steering wheel in a 4 door sedan.
Sexy AF...the looks are definitely very aggressive...but that's not a bad thing.
Super nice car, man...love the leather pattern too!
bsprinker (11-08-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
those leather pattern look sexy
Old 11-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 527 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by bsprinker
Sorry for the delay guys. It's been a totally crappy week. Work garbage....here are a couple pics.

And for the questions about my TLX trade. I got $26,500 on trade. I know it was bad, but my price on the Maxima was $2,000 less than others in my area at the time (Early August, 2016), so I jumped on it. The TLX is a nice car in my opinion, but in retrospect, it feels like more like an appliance compared to the Maxima. I couldn't be happier. Again, it's only MY opinion, and I'm kind of surprised myself. I've driven nothing but Honda & Acura's since 1997, so my point is not to bash Honda. I wish they'd get their act together. They certainly do some things better than most car companies. But right now, they're just not manufacturing anything I'd pay my hard-earned money to own. And two big reasons for that are #1 their lack of competitive options and #2 their infotainment/navigation system. FWIW....
The Maxima is growing on me and my family has owned a few Nissans and had great luck with all of them (plus Nissan went above and beyond on a Pathfinder we owned and I will never forget how well we were treated when they had 0 incentive to do so, as the car was WELL outside of warranty). I haven't driven one yet but the idea of a CVT in a car like this is kind of meh to me, how do you like it?
Old 11-13-2016, 12:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ESHBG
I haven't driven one yet but the idea of a CVT in a car like this is kind of meh to me, how do you like it?
The 8speed DCT in my TLX was different from what I was accustomed to. And just like that, the cvt in the Maxima has been different enough just to notice it, but not in a bad way. It seems to have power nearly all the way through it's rpm range, and it really mimics the feel of shifting pretty well. My wife has an infiniti JX with the cvt, so I knew what to expect going in. I don't really see a downside, imo. It's powerful, smooth and gets me the same mpg as my old 2008 TSX, (only with A LOT more power) so I am thrilled. My only regret was that I purchased the TLX in the first place...I could have saved some $ by not buying a new TLX and trading it after only 1 year of ownership.

When I was making my final decision of whether to trade my TLX for the Maxima, I rented a 2016 Maxima for a day, and also was able to rent a 2017 Maxima and drive it nearly 700 miles for a work trip. These two experiences set my mind at ease with the car as a whole, as well as the cvt transmission.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

The 8speed DCT in my TLX was different from what I was accustomed to. And just like that, the cvt in the Maxima has been different enough just to notice it, but not in a bad way. It seems to have power nearly all the way through it's rpm range, and it really mimics the feel of shifting pretty well. My wife has an infiniti JX with the cvt, so I knew what to expect going in. I don't really see a downside, imo. It's powerful, smooth and gets me the same mpg as my old 2008 TSX, (only with A LOT more power) so I am thrilled. My only regret was that I purchased the TLX in the first place...I could have saved some $ by not buying a new TLX and trading it after only 1 year of ownership.

When I was making my final decision of whether to trade my TLX for the Maxima, I rented a 2016 Maxima for a day, and also was able to rent a 2017 Maxima and drive it nearly 700 miles for a work trip. These two experiences set my mind at ease with the car as a whole, as well as the cvt transmission.
Thanks for the feedback and glad to hear that you are enjoying it! I like the interior and I will try to take one for a spin one day, as I am really curious (plus I get a discount on Nissan's through my employer).
Old 11-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been contemplating trading or selling my TLX for the last month or so and am wondering what a realistic asking price would be for me to sell it privately. I know trade-in values are not great. I like my TLX quite a bit, but feel like I'd enjoy a new Nissan Maxima more. IMO, it has more (and better) features than my TLX and, to me, the Maxima is equal to or better looking. I like a sporty looking car that stands out a little, but not too much. And I think the Maxima fits the bill. I've driven it and like the way it drives too. Now, back to my TLX.....

I've got a 4 cyl 2015 bellanova/espresso TLX tech with only 7,000 miles. I had the clear bra protectant material professionally installed on the front bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors immediately after buying the car, as well as Opticoat Pro professionally installed last year too; so the car literally is perfect. It has no blemishes of any kind at all!

KBB lists my TLX at $29,9XX if I sell it privately. Is that realistic? If I take that amount and add some of the $1,400 I paid for the clear bra and Opticoat, I'm looking at an asking price above $30,000. I don't know if that's going to happen, unless I find someone who wants MY EXACT used car. I feel those chances aren't good.

I'm thinking that I may have to wait a bit for depreciation on my TLX to level off a bit. But if I could get KBB plus a little extra (for the extras and condition of my car), I'd be tempted. I also understand that Acura is still discounting new TLX's also, so that may limit my realistic selling price too. What are your thoughts?
Most buyers don't care about or want to pay for stuff like clear bras or opticoat/sealant. Honda's hold their value over time well, but anything less than 5 or 6 years you're going to take a hit. (Nissan residual values are way worse.)

I switched from a 2014 TL SH-AWD to a 2015 V6 TLX PAWS, and I still took a few thousand dollar hit. (I changed because of the bad MPG, but it was much more fun to drive. And I loved the seats!) Luckily I got the dealer to transfer the full extended warranty at their cost, so I'm good until 2021 and I'll have it paid off in a few months.) It's great to have a newer car that's free and clear.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
ESHBG...I know what you are saying about the CVT but I would take the CVT over that garbage 9 speed unit from ZF any day (lol)
Old 11-20-2016, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by weather
ESHBG...I know what you are saying about the CVT but I would take the CVT over that garbage 9 speed unit from ZF any day (lol)
I could see that ha ha
Old 11-23-2016, 01:33 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Just wanted to provide a quick update.....I ended up trading the TLX in August for a slightly used 2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum. I love the Maxima!! It is everything I was hoping the TLX would be.
I ended up taking an enormous hit trading the TLX, but I was very lucky to find a great deal on the Maxima. Otherwise, I'd probably still be looking. My ownership of the Maxima over the last 3 months has been an absolute joy. I love the looks, the drive (a bit sporty), the power and the features blow away the features on my old TLX tech. I've never owned a Nissan before, but I am smitten by this car so far.
Sounds great you like the Maxima, but there's a reason why you see very few (if any) previous generations still on the road. Also, Nissan has horrible residual value and parts are more expensive. Not trying to be a downer... just realistic.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Racer

Well, Rocket, after the pathetic trade-in I received for my TLX, I don't have faith in any brand's residual value. I hope to keep this Maxima long enough to not be concerned about the residual value as much. If the car remains reliable throughout the manufacturers warranty period, I hope (and intend) to keep my cars for 6-8 years. Other than the TLX, I kept my two previous cars each for about 6 years. After 5 years, most cars level off a bit from their decline in residual value. Your comments are realistic though, if I'd decide to trade anytime soon.